Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

C25K ....trying again....

• 02-08-2010 4:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I've made a couple of attempts at the C25K in the last couple of years...I start off with the best of intentions but always seem to lose my way after a few weeks. The latest being a couple of weeks ago. got week one out of the way...and then lost my way again.

I find it really hard to stay focussed on things so hoping that committing to doing a log might focus the mind a bit

for a bit of background I'm 34M 5'9" and about 13.5 stone. I would have what would prob be called a slim build so you can see the 13.5 stone on me.

I was always a very fit and active person when younger up to mid twenties... played a bit if football etc. however have become extremely unfit in the last few years.

Bear with me and hopefully this time I can get to the 5K and then further.

there is a half Marathon / 10K on in my home town next april that I would love to be able to parttake in

any tips and tricks for staying motivated and focused would be greatly appreciated as it seems the smallest thing seems to knock me off course

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Schedule your runs now for the week, and make a point of going out at the same time, on the same day, every week.
    Be realistic about this - do you find it easier to run before work or after? Do you always mean to go out for a run Saturday morning but give up with a hangover? Learn from your past failures, and put together a schedule based on your experience.
    Have everything ready for your run in advance. If you're running first thing in the morning, get your gear together the night before. If you're running straight after work, have your gear ready before you leave in the morning. (and if you're going out straight after work, don't sit down)

If you can make running part of your routine, you'll be able to keep it up. If you're always playing catch up on your runs, and going out when you feel like it, you're making it harder for yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Best of luck Cushtie. Starting a log here will keep you motivated as we'll all start nagging if we don't see regular updates:D. There are some great logs on here that are motivating to read in themselves. Raycun has given you some great advice there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Cushtie

Thanks guys for the replies and the encouragement above. I get the whole thing about scheduling out the week. Was all set to go staight after work this evening but something came up that delayed me for about an hour, was starting to get lazy but got my arse in gear and got out there.

So got started again this evening. I decided I would go back to scratch and start at week one of the C25K.

Glad I did now as it was tough enough to be honest. (I can't believe how a 34 year old can be sooooooooo unfit!!!!!) was feeling it in my calves for the last 4 "runs". It was a slight uphill so maybe this is the reason.:p:p

anyway week 1, day 1 down.

took me about 30 mins and I covered approx 2 miles (mostly walking):)

I am using the Podcast and find it really good. Back about an hour now, showered and fed and feel really great. If only you could visualise the good feeling you get after exercise before you do it, it would make starting so much easier...if you get my drift.

Went for a brisk walk this evening, supposed to be a rest day but wanted to keep loose. had to resist the temptation to break into a gentle Jog
    :)

Did approx two miles

C25K Week1 Day 2 this evening.

felt good doing it although calves were beginning to feel very tight during the last couple of Jogs.

took me about 30 mins and I covered approx 2 miles

• Advertisement

Week 1, Day 3, completed this morning bright and early....7.30am

some thoughts:

For some reason I found this the hardest day of the week so far, even during the five min warm up walk my calves were starting to tighten up. doing the runs they were very sore.

I'm wondering, I usually do my runs in the evening but was up early this morning and decided to head out, went straight from the bed so to speak, no food just a glass of water before I headed out.....is this bad? Should I have something small to eat before I go and if so how long should I wait to go then?

I'm going to give it a rest until Monday evening now (maybe a smal walk tomorow) and tackle week 2, hopefully today was just a blip and I'll be able to hack week 2:confused:

Probably a bad idea to eat just before going out. If you're going to eat, leave it an hour to settle before exercise.

Week 2 Day 1 completed

felt this was very tough today, had not been out since Sat Morning so maybe that had something to do with it.

I felt grand during the runs but when it came to walking between I kept seizing up.....calves, ankles, Knees you name it I was getting aches and pains. felt very disheartened during the exercise but once I was home and had it done I was in flyin form again.

on a side note

I normally like a few pins of a weekend and the odd one during the week, since I started doing the C25K I have not touched a drop, have been trying to watch my diet. I even have been eating breakfast every morning.(porridge and youghurt)....something I normally find very very hard to do consistently. anyway hopped up on the scales the other morning and I've put up about 5 pounds:eek::eek:

whats that about like!!!

tis no wonder I found it harder this evening.....trying to lug around an extra 5lbs

week 2, day 2, done this morning.....I didn't feel to bad, again calves were crying out to me in second part but got through it.

I am letting it slip a to a few days now between runs which is not good! :mad:

Have be more disciplined and try and get out there on set days.

so next week I'm going for Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday

week 2, day 3 completed.

felt ok but calves very sore again. not as out of breath though as before.

week 3 with its 3 minute runs :eek: begins thursday

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Well done on starting the log and the program. It's worth it, so keep with it.

I would advise incorpating a good stretching program for warm-up and after your run. Maybe do one slow walk/jog cycle to warm-up and then stop to stretch. Continue on with your plan and then after have a good stretching session. I'm just a novice myself & not a lot of experience so others might have better advice than me. But this will help in loosening up the legs.

Week 3, Day 1, Complete

Not too bad this evening. the first three minute jog was grand, at one stage I had to take a little longer (maybe 60 seconds) for the walk in between and the last three minute jog I struggled a bit for.

I spent a few minutes extra this time stretching, especially the calves and they didn't seem as bad this time.

aiming for early Sat Morning for day 2 :)

well I'm back with my tail between my legs, again....never got to complete week 3, don't know what happened this time, just missed a few days and between one thing or another gave up on it again.....just not disciplined enough....which is very disappointing TBH! very pissed off with myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭kagni

I'm also on my third (at least) attempt at C25K. I even did like you and started a thread on here the first time. Never managed to finish due to various problems/excuses. Really feel like I'm going to get there this time. I just did W3D2 this evening.

There is a good thread in the Food&Drink forum that is well suited to beginners...http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055869229&page=117
    I like browsing around the A/R/T forum too but I find it can be a bit intimidating reading about people doing marathons when I am struggling to run for 3mins without a break, but it's good to get an idea of what is achievable long term.

I started my couch to 5k programme almost exactly a year ago, entered the Jingle bells 5k as my first race at the end of the training - and since the beginning of the year I've run 5 mile, 10k, 10 mile and half marathon races, and I'm gearing up for my first marathon.
    Stick with the programme, run consistently, and you'll be flying soon enough.

Advertisement