Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from Islam

Options
  • 02-08-2010 5:08pm
    Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭

...The forum not the religion.

I would like to a appeal a ban I have recieved from the Islam forum.

I have been through the proper channels, well attempted to at least. I PM'd the banning moderator Hobbes after he had banned me looking for clarification as I actually hadn't a breeze why I had been banned. Clarification was definitely neccessary as this was the "reason" I was given:
    Banned from Islam
    Hi Brown Bomber,

You have been banned from Islam for the following duration:

7 Day(s)

for the following reason:

Seriousy? Think about what you post next time, unless your trolling and I can make this ban permanent for you

Heavy-handed threats aside I think the least he could've done after that vague message was clarified what rule I had broken, still hasn't unfortunately, but what can you do?...Not very user friendly, but at this stage it doesn't really matter.

I then proceeded to contact CMOD Scofflaw, who in fairness took the time to give two detailed responses but I got the impression his mind was already made up before I'd had a chance to explain myself in anyway.

So here I am.

The thread in question (now deleted) was called "Islamaphobia goes mainstream" or some variation on that.

The gist of it was that cafepress.com (2.6 million online shops according to Wiki) are selling blatantly ant-Islamic products - mugs, badges, T-Shirts etc. So I started a thread in Islam about this and posted maybe 20-30 examples of the anti-Islamic T-shirts with a short introduction making absolutely clear of my complete objection to the products and Islamaphobia in general.

Somehow my objection to Islamaphobia has been miscontronsued as an attack on Islam.

????

To make this absolutely clear I got the photos from a blog called uprooted Palestinians.
    http://uprootedpalestinians.blogspot.com/2010/07/how-to-creat-supramacists-and-how-to.html

The article was written by this girl

untitled.bmp

Her name is Nahida and she is a Palestinian in exile. As you can see see is clearly a Muslim. Now to suggest that me posting the same pictures as she did puts us boat in the same boat.

This should make it clear that there was no malice whatsoever, unless you want to argue that Hobbes an agnostic is somehow more aware of what is offensive to Muslims than an actual Muslim.

If you read the comments on that site, intended like the Islam forum Muslims and beyond not a single respondent has questioned her post as somehow being offensive to Islam.

The reason I did not link to the article in my original post is that I wanted to keep the politics out of it.

Finally, if I did in fact cause offense to any Muslim folk I apologise unreservedly, it was certainly not my intention. I have a great deal of affection for Islam and the high standard of morals of Moslems in general. Having been lucky enough to have felt the welcome of a religous Egyptian family in Cairo I spent a number of months living with.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Ok, leave it with me.

Permit me to quote you from the other day:
    The "war on terror" not a war on Sikh's, French, or Irish it is a war on sand **** Islam.

So, drop the feigned concern for Islam, you were trolling, simple as.

Ban stays.

• Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Brown Bomber

Are you for real????

That whole post was in defence of Islam!!!

Read in context the use of that vile description of Muslims was clearly to demonstate the US and friends ideology (while they kill them),

Here is some more I have posted:

In response to this actual anti-Islamic post

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65839673&postcount=138

I defended Islam

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65840578&postcount=139
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65841325&postcount=140

And defending Islam in a second thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65627992&postcount=143

And from the same thread this sums up my view on Muslims perfectly:
    The only result of media-whore al-Khattab's groups actions is creating anti-Muslim hatred. His actions are harmful to himself, his family, Islam and regular peace-loving, religious Muslim folk - the vast, vast majority.

Are you for real????

I could ask you the same question.

Many moons ago, I did one of those fluffy multi-cultural in the workplace classes. One of the key messages out of that course was the fact that it was not important how something was intended, it was how it was perceived. It is the one thing that I feel is quite important these days, especially on a text-based medium, such as Boards.ie where posts have the potential to be misinterpreted.

In my view, the view of the CMods and the view of the forum mods, the perception was that your two posts, complete with pro-Israeli T-shirts, were stirring it up.

What ever your intentions were, from where we are sitting, it looked like you were deliberately trying to provoke a reaction on a very emotive topic.

So, if you want to discuss Islamaphobia, could I ask that you take a different, less provocative, more sedate approach? Posting around 30 pictures of anti-Islamic, pro-Israel t-shirts/baby clothes is not the way to do it.

Edit: Perhaps such a topic would be more suited the Humanities or Politics, rather than the Islam forum.

Advertisement