Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vet fees

Options
  • 02-08-2010 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

Hi there
    Just wondering what the pretty cost would be to neuter a female cocker spaniel (6 months)

I was quoted a staggering 185 euro here in Meath so just rang up North to see what the difference would be ... £90

I have 2 dogs to neuter so you do the maths. Whats the story here ?

I would be very reluctant to travel up North (fine for the way over but maybe not a good idea on the way back with dogs after surgery).

Anyway I was wondering if anyone could share their experience and does anyone know where I could get this done significantly cheaper?

I heard of the blue cross doing for €20 but I'm no benefits. I'm just on that bracket where you pay your taxes and get nothing in return

Does 185 euro per dog not seem very exepnsive to you ??

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Anywhere from €150 to €200+ is the norm, depending on the size of the dog. To be honest, if you are happy with your usual vet, use them. You could find a cheaper vet but they could make a botch of the surgery. Rural vets tend to be cheaper but then they don't do spays and neuters as routinely as the small animal (cats and dogs) vets in urban areas. If they don't have lots of practice at spay/neuter they can leave the stitches too tight, or make a larger incision than necessary, or leave lots of bruising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

I think it goes by weight. I have a 5kg female cocker who will be getting spayed in a few weeks - I was quoted €140 in my local vets.

A round trip to the North with a cocker after getting a serious operation wouldn't be a good idea.

Maybe ring around a few more vets and see if you can get a better price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Yep - it's partly calculated on the amount of sedative and anaesthetic needed - the bigger the dog, the more is needed.

Advertisement