Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fear of going to the cinema alone?...

• 02-08-2010 6:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

Whats with Irish people and their fear for going to see a movie on their own?

I'm Irish and in some cases when Im bored or really want to see a movie but nobody else will go, I'll go see it alone. However when I suggest it to others when they tell me their bored I always get the reaction: "One my own? Are ya mad?!"

:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Well I see nothing wrong with it! I often go on my own if I really wanted to see a particular film and had no-one else to go with or they wern't interested in going to see the film. Its not a big deal, tis the same as watching a dvd yourself is it not? the only difference is you are in public going to see the movie which you might actually enjoy more!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Is it an Irish thing? But yeah, it's not even a social occasion - makes perfect sense to go alone... unless you're 15.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

No frrrriiiieeeennndddsss :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

00Blaine00 wrote: »
    :confused:

Is it a really scary movie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I love going to a near empty cinema on my tobler. Hate the crowds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

I invariably go the cinema on my own, unless I'm bringing my nieces to a cartoon. And yes to avoiding large crowds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Dave D

I get the same reaction from friends. Most of the time I go with people but the second I say I saw a movie by myself I get a look. :rolleyes:

went on my own recently, quite enjoyed it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

People are idiots who pay far too much attention to what others might think of them.

Technically I've never been to the cinema on my own, but I wouldn't hesitate if there was something I really wanted to see and there was no one to go with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

I wouldnt go see a movie alone because i only watch comedies and horror and always funnier with your OH :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭littlehedgehog

Had this conversation with a friend recently - a group of them went to the cinema and a guy ON HIS OWN *shocked inhalation of breath* sat near them. What a weirdo, etc etc.

I laughed.. and then realised she was serious!

I agree with everything Zillah has previously said, basically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

People who are afraid of going to the cinema by themselves are people who have yet to grow up and realise that nobody else cares what you're doing and even if they did - they can go and f*ck themselves.

They're normally the needy, insecure terribly terribly immature type of people who are constantly seeking approval from people they don't even know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

I go on my own all the time (with my sister and friend but thats not parents ) and its fine except, when theres like 3 seats left, we always end up leaving because we are not sitting on our own all over the place... i really do hate crowds in cinemas and i always worry incase there is a crowd incase i can't get a seat!! ugh..:rolleyes: But my sister and friend are younger and are pure awkward it does my head in, the last time we went which was last week, we went to see toy story 3 and it was a big cinema except it was packed as per usual:rolleyes: so we had to sit down at the front because they didn't have the confidence to walk up in front of people.. especially the friend oh god..:rolleyes: sometimes i feel like hitting him over the head.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭BLACKEN

I've been once or twice! to be honest NOTHING beats going to see a film you really are looking forwrd to and going alone......... even better when the place is empty and you can enjoy a few bottles of you favorite "pop"

this thread reminds me of the time me and a mate of mine went up to monaghan town cinema one boring sunday nite.... now the place is a ****hole and it turns out we were the only people in the ENTIRE cinema! same guy sold us the tickets, then walked to the shop bit and sold us sweets and the SAME guy put the movie on two! lol

owenc wrote: »
    I go on my own like all the time (with my sister and friend but thats not parents like)

Ahh. Sweet.

BLACKEN wrote: »
    I've been once or twice! to be honest NOTHING beats going to see a film you really are looking forwrd to and going alone......... even better when the place is empty and you can enjoy a few bottles of you favorite "pop"

this thread reminds me of the time me and a mate of mine went up to monaghan town cinema one boring sunday nite.... now the place is a ****hole and it turns out we were the only people in the ENTIRE cinema! same guy sold us the tickets, then walked to the shop bit and sold us sweets and the SAME guy put the movie on two! lol

Lol that place must be a dive, is it still there?

caseyann wrote: »
    I wouldnt go see a movie alone because i only watch comedies and horror and always funnier with your OH :D

Oh thats it make all the single people even more depressed!:pac:
    oh wait a minute i have a gf!:eek: :P GO ME!lol

Ahh. Sweet.

Aye, what are you trying to say.

Lol that place must be a dive, is it still there?

it was about six months ago! needless to say i've yet to plan another trip to the place! :pac::pac:

Aye, what are you trying to say.

What I've said.

• Advertisement

BLACKEN wrote: »
    it was about six months ago! needless to say i've yet to plan another trip to the place! :pac::pac:

Naw i wouldn't set foot in it again lol, it must be a dive.. i could never imagine that place in the town like that, its always packed out and if you don't leave 30 minutes before the films on you will get **** seats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Plus, it's easier to sneak into a 2nd movie when you're by yourself!
    I paid to see Eagle Eye, I deserved a free movie afterwards

What I've said.

Oh god.:rolleyes:

Plus, it's easier to sneak into a 2nd movie when you're by yourself!
    I paid to see Eagle Eye, I deserved a free movie afterwards

Sometimes we end up doing that because the film that we would goto is packed (its quite common actually) and they can't see us going in and after all you have paid to go see a film.

Oh god.:rolleyes:

So, Owenc, have you ever been to the cinema on your own?

(By the way, by "on your own" I mean without parents, and indeed also without sister or friend, or indeed any other person.)

How did/how would you feel about doing that?

So, Owenc, have you ever been to the cinema on your own?

(By the way, by "on your own" I mean without parents, and indeed also without sister or friend, or indeed any other person.)

How did/how would you feel about doing that?

No i have not, and i wouldn't feel save doing that either because of the amount of people in there..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Has Ireland got a particular problem with cinema-related crime then?

Orizio wrote: »

No, thanks to people like Owenc's preventative measures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Don't see the problem with it.

I'm of an age now when spontaneous cinema outings are difficult to schedule with friends, and IMO it's absolutely pointless dragging the OH to a film she has no interest in, or vica versa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

I would never go to the cinema on my own. Its a bit weird.

If theres a good movie on i just dress up my favourite mannequin (ella) & head in with her. Shes a pig for the pop corn & skittles though. But its worth it for the cuddles.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Strange Loop

Orizio wrote: »

Besides the prices you pay for refreshments, not really.

I often go on my own.
    I'm watching a movie, I don't need somebody sitting beside me to enjoy it.

And we still get an intermission here in Dutch cinemas when you can go out and grab a smoke and a beer. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I wouldnt go to a packed evening showing but I love going during the day, most of the people who go to daytime showings are there alone anyway, so nobody will care. Irish people do have a fear of doing things alone though, as if enjoying your own company makes you a wierdo. These are probably the same kind of people who demand someone walk out and meet them at the door of a pub if they're joiing friends as you cant be seen to walk in by yourself. I'm going to America for a few weeks on a holiday alone in October, and people think I'm crazy because of it, so what? it'll be an adventure and something to tell people about, being by myself doesnt bother me in the slightest it'll make me talk to people I probably normally wouldnt if I was there with someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Going to the cinema on your own is the best way of going. Why do a lot of people need somebody there with them? For a chat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

00Blaine00 wrote: »

What makes you think Irish people have a fear of going to the cinema alone?

Some maybe, but I see tons of people alone at the cinema.

In fact, in places like the IFI, you are more likely to see people alone than with someone.

Fridays and Saturday nights at peaktime I would feel a little awkward if I was alone though, as it's 99% couples .. but otherwise, I wouldn't have an issue with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

funny!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

yeah, I've gone by myself here and in America too...no bother...

Yes of course, always save to go into the town with someone.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭Hackysack

It's kind of a bit odd. It's kinda like going to a gig on your own as well.

It's all well and good doing it on your own, but I dunno, it's kinda better to share the experience with someone else when you're going through it at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Hackysack wrote: »
    It's kind of a bit odd. It's kinda like going to a gig on your own as well.

It's all well and good doing it on your own, but I dunno, it's kinda better to share the experience with someone else when you're going through it at the same time.

How would you feel about watching a DVD on your own?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭Hackysack

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    How would you feel about watching a DVD on your own?

It depends on the film really! But I generally don't enjoy watching DVD films on my own. But I enjoy TV boxsets on my own.

Pretty weird. I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I much prefer going to the cinema by myself.

Always get to choose when I go, the film I see and where I sit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

It's just like eating out on your own, it's not a big deal. If you have issues spending time in your own company then the 'mad' pointing fingers are directed the wrong way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Scráib

Been to the cinema on my own a few times and it's not the worst thing ever. I miss the after-film debates though: 'That film was rubbish, I can't believe you liked it you big smelly ya' etc.

I want to see predators but everyone I know has already seen it, might go in on my own for a looksie, it's meant to be good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,948 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

blablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablabla

whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭deereidy

I went to see Avatar on my own because someone left a 20 in the ATM and it was starting in 10 minutes. Had a great time :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

deereidy wrote: »
    I went to see Avatar on my own because someone left a 20 in the ATM and it was starting in 10 minutes. Had a great time :)

Niiiiiice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

deereidy wrote: »

I was going to see Avatar on my own, but forgot to take 20 out of the ATM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,948 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭deereidy

I was going to see Avatar on my own, but forgot to take 20 out of the ATM

Thanks, your absent mindedness made my night :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement