Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Castlevania: Harmony of Despair

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Disappointing. They should have just made it a single player experience like pretty much every other game and tack on an experimental multiplayer onto it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭grimm2005

http://ie.xboxlive.ign.com/articles/110/1109803p1.html

A slightly more positive review from IGN but sounds like there is no point playing this in single player at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

once I heard 6 player co-op , I put my unscratched points card away :mad:

It's a one player game ffs, and of course they went and tied the achievements , well some of them to MP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

The Eurogamer reviewer was the same guy who gave The Signal DLC for Alan Wake a poor review, I don't think I trust him! It has made me doubt this game though, I'll try the demo before I buy.

I agree that Castlevania is more of a single player thing, but they should have put in local multiplayer!

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

Just tried it there, the demo is rubbish. The single-player is rock-hard, like the Belmont achievement in Symphony of the Night. You start from scratch everytime once you die, there are no savepoints throughout either. Also like the Eurogamer review says, it's a trudge back to the boss each time. It's not like the way Demon's Souls is where getting there is fun and a challenge. There's no xp system, just random item pickups in chests that you can't equip until you reach one of the equip points! The multiplayer is disabled for the demo even with only one castle available so for a multiplayer focussed title this seems like it's shooting itself in the foot.

It *could* be a fun game in co-op, but you'll have to buy blind to find out. Lame. :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

That's money saved so.
    Don't care about Monday Night Combat (next week) either.

Lara and Shank are the next two worth looking at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Mr E wrote: »
    That's money saved so.
    Don't care about Monday Night Combat (next week) either.

Lara and Shank are the next two worth looking at.

Have my reservations on those two for different reasons, Lara because of of the CO-OP element, and Shank fun and nice as it looks reminds me of The Dishwasher that I got bored of quite quickly. Still I'll be giving both a try for sure in the hope of goodness.

As for castlevania also tried the demo, hated it for the same reasons as NunianVonFuch, totally agree there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Didn't like it. Hated that there were some chests that were unreachable in single player.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,691 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Was looking forward to this, but think I'll give it a miss for now - too many games, not much time for co-op stuff tbh!

Luckily Sony were generous enough to release a cheap Bullet Hell collection on the same day :p

I played through the first two levels in co-op last night, it's really fun in multiplayer. Single player seems a bit empty though, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone looking for the traditional Castlevania experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭TetraxShard

Tried the demo. Thought it was merely okay. I think if you want a single player game you'd be better off with Symphony of the Night old as it is. Or any of the DS ones should you own a DS.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,785 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

What is a Castlevania game but a miserable pile of reused assets.

I think if you want a single player game you'd be better off with Symphony of the Night old as it is. Or any of the DS ones should you own a DS.

Symphony of the Night is the must-buy for anyone on Live (or PSN), the DS games are also essential purchases. All classics!

Advertisement