Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boiled Rice and Boiled Chicken

Options
  • 02-08-2010 6:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Is it ok to feed a 6 month old westie puppy some boiled rice and boiled chicken mixed in together??? She's a very fussy eater so im going to try her with abit of this. The chicken is boneless.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Yes, but it's not nutritionally balanced so it wouldn't suit as a long-term solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Westie_Owner

boomerang wrote: »
    Yes, but it's not nutritionally balanced so it wouldn't suit as a long-term solution.

Oh no i understand that i just want to see will she eat that for me because she is just turnung her nose up to her royal canin nuts and ive tried everything yet she just wont eat them anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭peteandjenn

Its perfectly safe to feed your dog boiled rice and boiled chicken. One of our dogs is a fussy eater also so we feed her Boiled rice and boiled chicken 2/3 times a week. It actually helps there digestive system as it is easier to digest. We mix her food between nuts and tinned food for variety for her so she dosen't get tired of the same food.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

If you give in now the pup will get really extra fussy about food, better off not giving in and keeping chicken only as a training tool.

I would try her on a different brand of nut rather than jumping to chicken and rice - all dogs love it (often recommended by the vet for dogs that are being reintroduced to food after fasting as it's nice and bland.) You might find once she gets the chicken and rice she won't eat dog food for you at all. No dog ever died of hunger when there was food made available to them. If she's genuinely hungry, she'll eventually eat her nuts!

I find that the RC dry food tends to be quite greasy - maybe that's what she doesn't like. Are you feeding her too much? Maybe she's getting her fill and leaving the rest behind?

• Advertisement

I would try her on a different brand of nut rather than jumping to chicken and rice - all dogs love it (often recommended by the vet for dogs that are being reintroduced to food after fasting as it's nice and bland.) You might find once she gets the chicken and rice she won't eat dog food for you at all. No dog ever died of hunger when there was food made available to them. If she's genuinely hungry, she'll eventually eat her nuts!

I find that the RC dry food tends to be quite greasy - maybe that's what she doesn't like. Are you feeding her too much? Maybe she's getting her fill and leaving the rest behind?

Im going by the chart thats with the food. Theres a cup with all the amounts on it and you feed according to age and weight so she is getting the correct amount she just turns her nose up to it and she is perfectly healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

How long are you leaving the food with the pup and how many days are you trying her with the nuts?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Im going by the chart thats with the food. Theres a cup with all the amounts on it and you feed according to age and weight so she is getting the correct amount she just turns her nose up to it and she is perfectly healthy.

Royal Canin seem to be very generous with their recommended rations. My Westie pup was eating half the amount recommended on the feed bag. She's just been to the vet regarding something else and vet said she was growing nicely and putting on weight well, I wouldn't give in to her at this stage or she'll keep doing the same thing. I'm currently changing mine to a different brand as she was still bouncing off the walls on it at 'half' portions, it's very high in protein!

<Edit> just to add, I think I'm going to put mine on Burns adult at around 6-8 months as it comes in different flavours for a little bit of variety, it's lower still in protein, unfortunatly I can't get Burns puppy food locally.

The Burns Mini Bites are for both pups and small dogs - can you get that?

Ive tried putting the food down for 15 mins and taking it up until next meal time. I have given her no treats at all for the last few days and all she does is pick at her food and never finishes it. Im not over feeding her either because at times she could just gooble the lot up. She is fine and healthy she was for her walk today and had playtime out the back garden. Her stool and urine is fine so there is no problems. Just a very fussy dog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

The Burns Mini Bites are for both pups and small dogs - can you get that?

No, unfortunately I'm in the middle of nowhere, all they have is the regular adult varieties and only in big bags. I could order online now that I know it exists but don't want to be chopping and changing too much either so I think I'll just keep her on the Hills lamb and rice now till I'm changing over to Adult. The RC mini puppy kibble she was just swallowing whole also and had hiccups after every meal, she has to actually bite the Hills so it a bit slower going and better for her teeth as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Westie_owner, is your pup underweight?
    I feed royal canin and have tried others but always go back to it. The portions are quite large I only feed just over half the recommended amount. One of my dogs will often take a little and walk away, sometimes he'll miss a meal completely, but his weight is fine at the moment (he was previously underweight as a pup, but put it on when his growth slowed), if the pup is a good weight and doing well I wouldn't change anything.
    Its far better have a dog that leaves some food when he's had enough than one who'll eat everything put in front of him.
    Also a dog won't stave itself, if its hungry it'll eat, if it thinks you'll give something nice if it waits, it will.

mymo wrote: »
    Westie_owner, is your pup underweight?
    I feed royal canin and have tried others but always go back to it. The portions are quite large I only feed just over half the recommended amount. One of my dogs will often take a little and walk away, sometimes he'll miss a meal completely, but his weight is fine at the moment (he was previously underweight as a pup, but put it on when his growth slowed), if the pup is a good weight and doing well I wouldn't change anything.
    Its far better have a dog that leaves some food when he's had enough than one who'll eat everything put in front of him.
    Also a dog won't stave itself, if its hungry it'll eat, if it thinks you'll give something nice if it waits, it will.

My dog is a perfect weight thank god.I weigh her regualrly and the last time she went to the vets the vet said her weight has spot on. Shes 5.8kg at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Well if the dog is a good weight and the food is agreeing with it, i'd leave it alone. I tried Arden grange recently and one of my dogs lost half the hair on his belly:eek:, its growing back now he's back on the Royal canin.
    Dogs don't see food like we do, you might think its boring eating the same thing all the time, but to dogs its food, thats it. Don't get me wrong they'd love to eat people food all the time if they got it, but they are happy to eat the same nuts every day.
    I mix in left over veg and meat from time to time(not often and never more than 2 or 3 meals in one week), or mash it up and stuff kongs for them. That gives them enough variety and they don't expect it if its given only in the kongs.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

A few years ago, we had a border collie who was a very fussy eater. She was my grandmother's dog and so my grandmother gave her whatever she'd be having for dinner and the dog was all "Score!" This went on for months until I had to take over care of the dog and I started her on dog food and a bit of the food she was used to. The cute hoor would nibble the food she liked and throw the rest out of the dish. When I gave her dog food only, we had a stand off for a few days where the dog turned up her nose at it. Once she realised this was all she was getting, she ate it no problem.

We have a dog now who won't eat her food unless it's got a splash of water over it. She'd be a small terrier cross and some days she won't touch her food but will be happy to eat it the next day or the day after. My aunt has a labrador that loves tea poured over the kibble. So maybe something like that or a bit of gravy might help. She won't starve anyway. When she gets hungry enough, she'll eat it.

Advertisement