Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can't delete files

• 02-08-2010 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

I've been recently trying to delete files from my portable seagate hdd any
    ideas how to get rid of them permanently........thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

try this ,i dont know if it,ll work on an external drive.
    http://www.softwarepatch.com/software/moveonboot.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

What happens when you go to delete them? If you hold down Shift + Delete then it will bypass the recycling bin and be deleted permanently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭Cork Skate

copz wrote: »
    I've been recently trying to delete files from my portable seagate hdd any
    ideas how to get rid of them permanently........thanks

Are you getting an error message or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭copz

it says access denied files are write protected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭Cork Skate

Right click on the files and look at its properties, take the check out of 'Read Only' .... Can you reboot your system first though, its possible that you had something opened and it still has a flag on it, reboot will sort this out for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭copz

I've tried it and it doesn't work, I've looked in the folder and saw files named
    windows installer patch and ASP.NET these also do not delete any ideas.:confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,359 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Are you accessing your external HDD from a user account or your administrator account?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Create a file on it. Then look at the rights but more importantly, owership etc. of that file.

Then apply the same setting to everything on the portable.

Windows 7 making things simpler by making things harder as usual.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Adam wrote: »

Good advice, Try this I have yet to meet something it can't erase.

• Advertisement
Advertisement