Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caught with a stun gun

Options
  • 02-08-2010 6:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I've been caught with a stun gun that I brought back from Thailand recently. I am being charged under the fire arms and offensive weapons act by the gardai.
    I have no idea of the sentence I will receive. Can anyone shed any light on the matter? I read in wikianswers the following " I have been practising law in the Republic of Ireland for the past 10 years and can categorically confirm that there is nothing in Irish law to prevent any citizen from purchasing or using a stun gun, accept on animals, once the device has an electrical output less than 900,000 volts".
    Is there any truth in this???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

How were you caught with a stun gun ?
    Where were you ?
    What was the situation that they found you in the possession of a stun gun ?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Wtf were you doing with a stun gun dude?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 qwerty eire

I bought it on a whim and was showing it off to my mates when i was spotted :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

I'd forward all post to 400 North Circular Road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Maybe you could ask the question over in legal issues. They may know a bit more about what you can expect ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 qwerty eire

I've re-posted in the legal issues area. Thanks folks for responding.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

You've been charged under the Firearms and Offensive Weapons Act and have decided to seek legal advice from wikianswers and boards?!:confused:

Go and seek proper legal advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

I was reading in the paper today, a man caught with cs gas was sentenced to 10mths.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Any previous convictions?

Did you get lippy with the arresting officers?

Do you live in a "dodgy" area?

All these things can militate against you.

If you can convince the judge you are of "good character" you should be able to avoid a custodial sentence and hopefully avoid a conviction altogether.

It wont do any harm to talk to the guard who arrested you,maybe you can appeal to his better nature..it certainly cant hurt to try.

If it goes to court and you cannot afford legal aid,a solictor will be appointed for you:
    If you have free legal aid appointed at the first hearing do as the solictor says re pleading etc...it would not hurt to start saving some dosh in order to pay into the court poor box..if you can do this you may get the benefit of the Probation Of Offenders Act..you dont want a conviction and you certainly dont want to go to prison,especially if its a first offence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'm shocked & stunned.

OP go seek professional legal advice.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement