Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

advice needed on gear i should buy first time road bike user.

• 02-08-2010 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭

Hey

So my first road bike is on its way, and im owndering what kind of gear i should look into buying to get me started?.

Im thinking under shorts(padded), cycling shorts, cycling top, chamois cream.

any other handy ideas, a seat post bag what kind of tools etc should i get?

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

manafana wrote: »
    Hey

So my first road bike is on its way, and im owndering what kind of gear i should look into buying to get me started?.

Im thinking under shorts(padded), cycling shorts, cycling top, chamois cream.

any other handy ideas, a seat post bag what kind of tools etc should i get?

Many thanks in advance.

Don't buy undershorts as they'll cause more harm (Chafing) than good according to more experienced posters here. Just wear lycra shorts with nothing underneath.

Get a multi-tool to stick in your saddle bag. I got a cheap one in TKMax for €4 that does the job no probs so no need to spend a fortune on it.

Other important items you'll need: spare tube, mini pump, lubricants etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

Yea dont bother with the under shorts.

What you'd be looking for is:
    Bib shorts (better not to skimp on these), cycling jersey (no need to spend too much on these), arm warmers & leg warmers (cause autumn is round the corner), and padded gloves.

You could use internet shops like Wiggle, Chainreaction Cycles, Probike Kit or Slanecycles to do a search for above, to check prices, etc. Cheaper than the local bike shop.

Duno if chamois cream is really necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

does chamois cream with the under shorts work.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

manafana wrote: »
    does chamois cream with the under shorts work.
    Chamois cream works with your *ss. That's where you apply it. So, 'Yes', it would work with under shorts.

But to reiterate, under shorts won't work with padded cycling shorts, the double layer of padding will not provide double the comfort. Possibly quite the opposite.

DFD.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭goldencleric

Clipless pedals and shoes ... and a helmet!! :)

Definitely invest in a good pair of bib shorts!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭stas

Just started cycling a month ago myself, and I would second the recommendation of the padded bibs - they have changed my life ;)

I didn't get anything at first, just the bike and the helmet, but then soon enough I couldn't really enjoy my cycling through the constant pain in the arse. Then I went and bought the jersey, bibs, gloves, the second bottle, and now all I'm missing is arm&leg warmers (it's getting cold)... and then later on - if I keep cycling - I'll treat myself to some clip shoes and pedals.

As for the cream, I was thinking that too, but I guess your bum will just need to toughen up a little, so I don't think there's any way out of it. Just give it a little time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

padded cycling shorts, padded mits/gloves, crash helmet (the one thing i dont mind spending alot on), jersey, light rain jacket (i use my jogging one), small multi tool kit, spare tubes, CO2, couple of bottles/cages, and toe clips (progress on to cleats when confident enough).

;)

thanks for all advices guys, yeah im leaving the clip in pedals till i get used bike again, old school ones for me for moment.
    I'll be getting bib shorts too.

On side note isnt not wearing gloves while cycling kind of like not wearing your glove in golf, think i did see one tour stage winner who didnt wear gloves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭papac

Golf????:confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭stas

gloves/mitts protect your hands in case of a fall and may help to avoid numbness if you cycle a long distance. you may not necessarily need them if you aren't planning either of the two :)

• Advertisement

for padded bib shorts, would something like this do?,

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/dhb_dhb_Finchdean_Bib_Cycling_Shorts/5360035435

or should i go for soemthing even pricer, i plan on buying one pair for moment and cleaning it by hand after any rides.

Advertisement