Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pedal Shoe Combination

• 02-08-2010 7:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Can anyone please explain to me the difference between pedals on a road racing bike?
    Im looking to purchase a set of shoes and a matching set of pedals, have a budget of about 100 euro, but am clueless about how to match the shoes up to the pedals, I assumed I could have just bought a combination set.
    Am amazed at the prices.
    (Doing about 3, 30+ Mile cycles a week for the past month or so, going to start uping a few miles every week)
    Thanks for the advise, all.
    Peadar:):):):):)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭C3PO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

You'll probably get more responses to this question if you post/move the thread to the main cycling forum.

In short though, no you don't tend to get pedals with shoes or vice versa. There are a variety of pedal types available these days some/most of which will work with a wide variety of shoes and vice versa. Easiest thing is to pick your choice of pedal first and then narrow down your choice of shoes to those that can take the cleat (a metal or plastic "plate" that bolts to the shoes and which clips into the pedal) needed for your choice of pedal. You could also do it the other way round if you have a particular shoe in mind already.

So, what dictates whether a particular shoe will work with a particular pedal is whether the cleat for that pedal (which should come with the pedals) can be mounted to that shoe. Cleats vary a lot, some of them requiring 2 bolts to attach them, some requiring 3 bolts, etc. Check the mount points on the shoe, or check the online description, to see if they have the appropriate mount points for the cleats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Moved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭pete_mcs

RPL1 wrote: »
    Perfect RPL1, will order them, they look just to be what I need to get me going.
    Thanks to all for your advise, wave at me when ye pass me on the roads, lol!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

If you feel like strecthing your budget slightly these might be worth a try http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop/Apparel/Shoes/Shoes+-+Road/Shimano+R160+Shoes_1981.htm

Mine just arrived today so I can't yet vouch for their comfiness. 56% off though :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

I have tried all the pedals out there: Look, Time, ... and settle on the following.

Shoes: Sidi, that look like these, mine are a different color
    sidi-energy-2-cc.jpg
    Pedals: Speedplay - best pedals for your knees, no comparison.
    speedplay-zero-stainless-399-75.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

FISMA wrote: »
    Pedals: Speedplay - best pedals for your knees, no comparison.

one of us has a strange idea of cycling so :p

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

RPL1 wrote: »

I have different shoes but I have those pedals, working well so far, definitely recommended.

Have taken RPL1 advise and went ahead and put the order in. Free shipping helped. Thanks all for your advise.
    I have started doing a bit of cycling as an addition to some marathon training. Have been having some very sore ankles after putting in my longer training runs, so have replaced some running sessions with some cycling sessions. The old legs are not used to using the cycling muscles yet, but am really enjoying the time on the bike.
    Have not gone over the 30 mile mark yet, hopefully tomorrow. Plenty of hills to train the legs as I live in Conemara. Im 37 now, wish I had tried this ten years ago, ah well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

pete_mcs wrote: »
    Have not gone over the 30 mile mark yet, hopefully tomorrow. Plenty of hills to train the legs as I live in Conemara. Im 37 now, wish I had tried this ten years ago, ah well.

3 years is loads of time to get up to speed for vets racing. :)

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    3 years is loads of time to get up to speed for vets racing. :)
    Love that vote of confidence Lumen.:D Should I be following a similar training schedule to a running one?
    ie. 2 Long cycles a week, mixed with shorter fast sessions, and hill sessions.
    I am guessings its all cardio training, so going to keep mixing running with cycling and enter ras na nollaig, Dualathlon in Galway on St Stephens Day. Thats the plan anyhow. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭hondavfr

pete_mcs wrote: »
    Perfect RPL1, will order them, they look just to be what I need to get me going.
    Thanks to all for your advise, wave at me when ye pass me on the roads, lol!

I ordered these shoes and pedals for my brothers bike and fitted them today,nice pedals,good value and they come with cleats as well. the only advice i can give you is that the shoes are small fitting, had to return his and order the next size up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭C3PO

hondavfr wrote: »
    the only advice i can give you is that the shoes are small fitting, had to return his and order the next size up.

Sorry should have mentioned that ..... been my experience with just about all cycling shoes!

I read the reviews on chain reaction cycles, they all advised to buy the size up, so had already took that advise. Once again thanks all. Looking forward to getting this gear, will at least look the part, lol.

Advertisement