Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New night for producers to bring along their music to get played

Options
  • 02-08-2010 8:22pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm (re)starting a night called Sample Ed1t where we invite people to bring along a CDR of their own music to give to the DJs to play on the night.

The idea is to get a bit of a community going for music makers to get together and share ideas, give feed back, exchange plug in, buy and sell equipment, make collaborations or remixes or whatever. You get the idea.

You get to hear your track/s played in the venue in front of an audience and get real live feedback and reactions. Plus, since this is Ireland there is also the bribe of a free Sol or two if you participate in the night (i.e. give a CDR)

Any questions?

Oh yeah, haha, Tuesdays at Bia Bar

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...9794459&ref=mf

Join the group on FB for info on weekly guest DJs and let me know if you'd be interested in guest DJing too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

That sounds like an absolutely wicked idea!

Hope this works out well for you - make sure you go pimp your night over on the irish dubstep / dnb forum as well, sounds like just the sort of thing Dublin needs more of!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

good idea but i have a few questions.

is it a "club" night or is it just a bit of a get together.

just asking because the best feedback for dance music is dancefloor reaction.

is there any screening?
    is there anything to stop a dj rankin wannabe getting his supersped up donkified track being played to an unsuspecting public?

if i think back to my first productions at the time i thought they sounded great but now to me they sound horrible(because they are)
    will you discourage this sort of noob productions or as said earlier will it just be a free for all

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

That sounds like an absolutely wicked idea!

Hope this works out well for you - make sure you go pimp your night over on the irish dubstep / dnb forum as well, sounds like just the sort of thing Dublin needs more of!

Thanks Dude.
    seannash wrote: »
    good idea but i have a few questions.

is it a "club" night or is it just a bit of a get together.

just asking because the best feedback for dance music is dancefloor reaction.

is there any screening?
    is there anything to stop a dj rankin wannabe getting his supersped up donkified track being played to an unsuspecting public?

if i think back to my first productions at the time i thought they sounded great but now to me they sound horrible(because they are)
    will you discourage this sort of noob productions or as said earlier will it just be a free for all

Hi Sean,
    The night starts off at 8 with a downtempo vibe. More or a sit down, nod your head and have a chat buzz. After about 10 we pick up the tempo and there is a dance floor (with disco ball!) and visuals so people are more than welcome to dance.
    As far as people bringing in imperfectly mixed down tunes, that is ok. Part of the point is to give and get feedback. Hear your stuff on a club type system and in front of other people.
    It is all for fun in the end. No one is going to get shouted out of the place for badly made beats.

This is tomorrow lads. Tuesday at 8, Bia Bar.

35866_131435203561503_131005110271179_147236_8116318_n.jpg

• Advertisement

Alright lads,

Make sure you know this is a new venue and new night, no need to show up at Bia Bar tomo when you'd be much better served going to Shebeen on Wednesday!

See you there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Untz

Good idea. You getting much of a crowd for it? Whats the system like in shebeen?

Untz wrote: »
    Good idea. You getting much of a crowd for it? Whats the system like in shebeen?

Hi Untz,

Yeah there is a small but growing group coming every week, people returning every or most weeks as well as people who are just 'walk ins' who want a change from the music upstairs.

The system in Shebeen is decent. There are decks (1210s in decent enough nick) a new mixer due in this week that I've not seen yet, old one had no cross fader, and 2 old style rack CD units. Some of the guest DJs bring in their own tracktor or whatever setups.

There are 4 -6 speakers on the wall and 1 big sub up near the stage. It's not SUPER but it does what is needed.

Hope to see you down on the 6th, this week the 29th is postponed due to a previous booking made months ago. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭M O N T O

Story Stop,

its monto, you might know me from ihh.

Where exactly is Shebeen? I'd love to pop into this one night, but i'm in waterford so dunno if its worth the hassle.

Hey Monto,
    I do indeed know you from IHH, how the feck are ye?

Shebeen is directly opposite the George on George's st. The corner place, you can't miss it. We're downstairs on Wednesdays from 8.

Sure if you're up in Dublin then pop in.

Advertisement