Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New To Phoography

• 02-08-2010 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hi

Just after getting the Fujifilm S1730,Think its a great camera for starting out.

Getting used of all its features and learning more every day

Looking for any good websites that help people like myself staring out,

Also can ye recomend good books or websites for photoshop have the cs4 version myself...love missing around with photoshop thinking odf doing a course in September.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Have a look on youtube for shooting tutorials, there are some good videos on there.
    Enjoy the hobby and get posting photos soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭pbt20

New to photography myself and learn a lot from the digital darkroom forum. This is also a good , it is for canon, but the info is good. http://web.canon.jp/imaging/enjoydslr/index.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Two suggestions;

http://digital-photography-school.com/ <-- sign up to their newsletter

Understanding Exposure - Bryan Peterson is the book to set out with. A reasonably light-hearted romp through aperture, shutter speed, and iso, and more besides. Nothing too technical infact would be snubbed by people who are 'in the know' but a must for starting out if you want to progress reasonably quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭shamcfc

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    Two suggestions;

http://digital-photography-school.com/ <-- sign up to their newsletter

Understanding Exposure - Bryan Peterson is the book to set out with. A reasonably light-hearted romp through aperture, shutter speed, and iso, and more besides. Nothing too technical infact would be snubbed by people who are 'in the know' but a must for starting out if you want to progress reasonably quickly.

Cheers for the info lads

Going to get that book understanding exposure..the type of camera I have is that good enough make me progress and treat this as a serious hobby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

I don't know the specific camera but I loved my old fuji bridge - many moons ago now. I still give it a whirl every so often for fun.

And from the specs of the one you've mentioned here, it looks like you get full manual control as well as other modes you'd expect to see on a dSLR but generally don't get on a P&S.

Reviews on amazon although limited are good.

They are described as a "bridge" which positions them in terms of their capability between point and shoot and dSLR so it is important to realise that if you progress then you will find it's limitations.

But from what I can tell (without actually having one) it appears a good camera all round which should be good to learn with - more advanced than a point and shoot to allow you to learn.

I'll be interested to see the image quality - maybe you'd post some results on the random thread or for c&c at some stage in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

shamcfc wrote: »
    Cheers for the info lads

Going to get that book understanding exposure..the type of camera I have is that good enough make me progress and treat this as a serious hobby

I hope this is not against the forum rules, but I have a copy of that book for sale. PM me if you're interested?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    I don't know the specific camera but I loved my old fuji bridge - many moons ago now. I still give it a whirl every so often for fun.

I spent almost a year getting to grips with manual controls on my old fuji bridge/compact [s1000fd, it's classed as a compact but I would call it a bridge cam] I loved that camera. Great to learn on. Unfortunately I ended up having to sell it to go towards the dslr or I'd still pull it out the bag now and then. it had brilliant macro capabilities.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 328 ✭✭thefly

shamcfc wrote: »
    Cheers for the info lads

no

Advertisement