Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teacher considering emigration

Options
  • 02-08-2010 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hello,
    I am a qualified primary teacher with 6years of experience but have been out of work the last year. I really don't think i can take another year out of work so i am now considering emigrating to another country. I was looking at the UAE but this is not an option as it is a strict Muslim country and i was hoping to bring my boyfriend with me.

Has anyone any ideas on other countries that may be looking for teachers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,568 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Some parts of Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

South Korea. Try for international schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭lofto

Whats required if you were to teach in uk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 shtopthelights

lofto wrote: »
    lofto wrote: »

I trained in the UK and, as far as I know, at least an Irish graduate wishing to teach in the UK won't be put through the hoops the Teaching Council have been putting me through....

So, I believe you will be recognised without too much hassle as our qualifications are supposed to be under EU law. The main thing that's required then, is the right to work in the UK, which you have if you're Irish. The Garda Vetting thing might be an issue mind you, as even if you have a 'current' one, you would probably need to get another...which is impossible, since they are not obtainable by individuals and not transferable between organisations. This being the case, the UK school or agency would most likely require an 'Enhanced Disclosure' from the Criminal Record Bureau, which again needs to be sought through an organisation, but you should have it within six weeks or so of applying for it, and you won't have to get another if you wish to move jobs, or get short term jobs (not sure how often it needs to be renewed, but I got a new one each year).

Another thing to bear in mind is that UK teacher recruitment generally takes place a long time (often between a term and a year) before they need the teacher, so many of the jobs beginning in Sept. would be gone by now. Substitute (supply as they call it) or short term contract positions should be available still however. One good thing about teacher recruitment there is that you can MUCH more easily get a permanent job, even straight out of college, as I did, PLUS you can get paid over the Summer holidays if you get it before them (as I also did)...hhhmmm and here I am back in the bosom of my home country, where I'd like to stay, an unemployed, as yet unregistered teacher who qualified six years ago....and is nearly soul-destroyed from subbing and continuously seeing 'teaching council registration required' on the few suitable (for me) job adverts that arise....

Sorry peeps, have to vent now...!!

Recently submitted to the T.C. the doc's I've spent three years gathering and that took a personal visit to the UK and considerable personal expense (ON TOP of the extortionate e365 'cost' of assessing my qualifications) to finally gather and their latest request is for a statement that the 25 weeks (yes, you read it correctly!) of teaching placements I did were 'supervised by the college'.

Truly embarrassing to ask for such ridiculously 'par for the course' documents from reputable educational institutions and teacher training providers and to have to keep going back to them for more of the same (on behalf of an organisation in your home country that you'd be delighted to see operating at a twentieth of the competence levels of your former universities), as though either of my former universities were some sort of two bit quango that didn't care about education and were only after peoples money or something.....

....anyone mention the T.C.?!?

Sorry, a bit off topic there, blood still boiling from the latest development...

If you have any specific questions re. teaching in the UK, I'd be happy to help, if I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭The_D_Man

A friend of mine thought in Dubai for a year and arrived home about a few weeks ago. She said she loved it and is already planning on returning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

BritneyDee wrote: »
    Hello,
    I am a qualified primary teacher with 6years of experience but have been out of work the last year. I really don't think i can take another year out of work so i am now considering emigrating to another country. I was looking at the UAE but this is not an option as it is a strict Muslim country and i was hoping to bring my boyfriend with me.

Has anyone any ideas on other countries that may be looking for teachers?

as a foreigner in UAE you would live in a compound with other foreigners so it should not be a problem. the irish school in libya is ofen looking for tecahers.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I know an Irish Primary School teacher who got a job here in Bahrain very easily. Actually, I think she was offered more than one.

i think if you go to such places should leave the stereotypes at home and you will get along fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭jupiter00

Wow, stopthelights, the teaching council sounds very inflexible in comparison to my sister who trained as a primary teacher in Ireland and went to the uk. She had to contact the uk DES and give her details and a few months later she got her teacher number, recognised to teach in England and Wales. She has qualified teacher status. I suppose it doesn't help that there is a surplus of teachers here in Ireland now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭horse7

my friend is recently qualified as an art teacher for secondary schools and would like to try it in australia on a year working holiday,does anyone have any info on this plan.

• Advertisement

horse7 wrote: »
    my friend is recently qualified as an art teacher for secondary schools and would like to try it in australia on a year working holiday,does anyone have any info on this plan.

school in killineydublin looking for an art teacher. no need to go abroad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭sadhbhc15

Some parts of Canada.

Can you elaborate a little on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭horse7

Fuinseog wrote: »
    school in killineydublin looking for an art teacher. no need to go abroad
    thanks,for the info but this is their treat to themselves after 4 long years in ncad.they will probably return in a month or 2,because there are no jobs in australia for w.h visas.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

sadhbhc15 wrote: »
    Can you elaborate a little on this?
    No teaching jobs in Canada...the Canadians are arriving in Oz like the Irish now.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,568 ✭✭✭✭looksee

In the remoter parts of Canada there is still demand afaik. There is an application process that can take up to an couple of years though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Can we work as primary teachers in Australia?

Not talking about a WHVisa, but longer.

Edit: Just looked it up. You can a Skilled Visa if you have the necessary qualification and have 3 years teaching experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭awny

Bump. Just wondering if any knows the answer to this. IF we go teaching in the UK for a year or 2, will it count on the salary point scale when we come back? Or has that changed with the budget? 10% cut off point 1 for new and re-entrants etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭kiwikid

a family member has been to NZ and Oz and you can'y just get a job there as people are led to believe. She is currently in London. She had phone interview on a Thursday and the following Monday week was offered a supply position in a school. The school is rough by our standards, lots of detentions and tons more regulations and form filling as well as lesson planning and the money is poor compared to here. She is staying put for a few years as her secondary subjects are not as in demand as others.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭domcq

I trained in the UK and, as far as I know, at least an Irish graduate wishing to teach in the UK won't be put through the hoops the Teaching Council have been putting me through....

So, I believe you will be recognised without too much hassle as our qualifications are supposed to be under EU law. The main thing that's required then, is the right to work in the UK, which you have if you're Irish. The Garda Vetting thing might be an issue mind you, as even if you have a 'current' one, you would probably need to get another...which is impossible, since they are not obtainable by individuals and not transferable between organisations. This being the case, the UK school or agency would most likely require an 'Enhanced Disclosure' from the Criminal Record Bureau, which again needs to be sought through an organisation, but you should have it within six weeks or so of applying for it, and you won't have to get another if you wish to move jobs, or get short term jobs (not sure how often it needs to be renewed, but I got a new one each year).

Another thing to bear in mind is that UK teacher recruitment generally takes place a long time (often between a term and a year) before they need the teacher, so many of the jobs beginning in Sept. would be gone by now. Substitute (supply as they call it) or short term contract positions should be available still however. One good thing about teacher recruitment there is that you can MUCH more easily get a permanent job, even straight out of college, as I did, PLUS you can get paid over the Summer holidays if you get it before them (as I also did)...hhhmmm and here I am back in the bosom of my home country, where I'd like to stay, an unemployed, as yet unregistered teacher who qualified six years ago....and is nearly soul-destroyed from subbing and continuously seeing 'teaching council registration required' on the few suitable (for me) job adverts that arise....

Sorry peeps, have to vent now...!!

Recently submitted to the T.C. the doc's I've spent three years gathering and that took a personal visit to the UK and considerable personal expense (ON TOP of the extortionate e365 'cost' of assessing my qualifications) to finally gather and their latest request is for a statement that the 25 weeks (yes, you read it correctly!) of teaching placements I did were 'supervised by the college'.

Truly embarrassing to ask for such ridiculously 'par for the course' documents from reputable educational institutions and teacher training providers and to have to keep going back to them for more of the same (on behalf of an organisation in your home country that you'd be delighted to see operating at a twentieth of the competence levels of your former universities), as though either of my former universities were some sort of two bit quango that didn't care about education and were only after peoples money or something.....

....anyone mention the T.C.?!?

Sorry, a bit off topic there, blood still boiling from the latest development...

If you have any specific questions re. teaching in the UK, I'd be happy to help, if I can.

Hi Shtopthelights.

My girlfriend recently moved to Ireland from Scotland to look for work as an Art teacher (She has five years UK experience and qualified in Manchester).

One year on and she hasn't been able to get her disclosure from the UK to cover the period when she last worked there. FIFE council (her previous employer) has indicated that the only way they will sign her disclosure forms is if she is applying for a job with FIFE council, which I find ludicrous as this means that she can't access the diclosure in trying to satisfy the teaching councils requirements.

I can't get my head around the process at all as it seems crazy that only an organization can apply for disclosure of information that relates to an individual.

If the organization that you previously worked for is unwilling to sign off the disclosure (unless you're applying for a job with them) application is there any other way to obtain it?

I realize this is an old post and you may have already succesfully navigated the iceberg laiden path mapped out by the teaching council of Ireland, but if you have any other pointers on getting through the process, I'd greatly appreciate if you could forward them on - Thanks'

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭chippers

You would probably pick up work in Madrid. This website normally advertises positions http://www.lingobongo.com/madrid/jobsoffered.php

A lot of it is TEFL related however primary school positions regularly come up as well

• Advertisement
Advertisement