Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bank holiday monday - what did you do?

• 02-08-2010 8:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭

Just wondering what people got up to today? I met up with a friend at phoenix park and then we cycled to howth, had a pint (its bank holiday!) then cycled back into town, then cycled out to dun leary and had a pint and some chips (its bank holiday monday!) then cycled back to dublin city and had a pint (its a bank holiday!) a very enjoyable day made more fun by chatting to some other cyclists, two of whom were on very expensive looking full carbon setups (and they were triathletes! fury.)

Anyone else get up to much?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,460 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

went to work and then ballintra races
    seeing as people are putting the rest of the weekend in sun 100km with 1309m of climbing (according tothe garmin)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Went to work, got frustrated because I couldn't give the stuff away. Came home, check boards, played a bit of Football Manager. Off now to get a new chain off The Doc Man.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Sat on the sofa and watched the tour of Poland for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

Cycled up Patricks Hill, Cork for the first time, well pleased with myself.
    Bloody though tho. Then spun around the city, nice & quite due to the bank hol.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Worked then got home and arranged my transport for picking up my new road bike in a few days :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Full day of accountancy class :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

Cleaned the gaff cause the mott was in the horrors..... :( (Bank holiday my arse)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Cycled with the club sat am. BBQ with friends that evening. Family and kids on Sunday with their Grandmother as well and chillaxed today after taking my eldest and his frind to play pitch and putt.
    Slept more this weekend than I have in years.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 99 ✭✭Saxobank

Cycled out to Dungarvan from Clonmel and back again, thankfully the rain stayed away!... and Facebook (My life is ruined with it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

went for a short 70km in ww saturday, drove to Drogheda to picked up an iphone, went to ikea, and spent the evening trying to unlock it on sunday, today I did some sleeping, mechanics, cleaning and lounging... I am ashamed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭ba

watched Tour of Poland highlights, followed directly by the live broadcasts on Eurosport, headed up Howth at 6.30pm, felt like i was being targeted by someone...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Flew back from Poland (saw the end of yesterday's stage in Warsaw), cycled around Howth, packed for Spain cycle trip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 la calera

Didn't wake up till 10.30 (shocker), went for dull (on my own) 50k-ish to Straffan and back into town. Supermarket shop & woodies for paint & decking oil. Painted balcony table and chairs (first coat), then cooked vat of spagetti bolognese (five - will freeze all), then baked lemon & poppy seed cake (still in oven) for work colleagues :-) and then five-veg stir fry which I'm currently eating. Oh, did three washes inbetween....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭Repolho

couple of hours out ar Ballyhoura today. First time out there in a couple of months. Good craic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Wingman2010

I did a 85k cycle on Saturday, a personal best. I was disappointed as I would have liked to have broken the 100k but I will do that very soon :-) I was listening to the Dublin game on my earphones & it seemed a very exciting game so I wanted to catch the 2nd half on tv. That's my excuse for not doing the 100k! I did a 40k spin yesterday and I'm just in from a game of pitch and putt so it was a very enjoyable weekend overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

Cleaned Bikes. Did family stuff. Wished I had done more stretching before and after last Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭irishpunter

Sat on my arse,watched telly,
    I'm a lazy man

Bought some suits. Then got bike ready for the week ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭mkdon05

40k spin to howth and back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭irishpunter

Oops,didn't know this was a cycling thread, sorry,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

some pigeon shooting this morning .60km spin , then tour of poland .then i BBQ some pigeon breast i shot sat eve .

made them into a kabab some salad and a beer , walked the dogs . not a bad day at all .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

Got the "other" bike ready for a spin in the hills. Got up to Lamb Doyles and noticed I forgot my pump. U turned and headed home for it,back out and got as far as Johnnie Foxes when the right knee started to niggle me. Thought I'd better not go any further so headed home via Cruagh. Got home and watched the cycling on TV while my left knee ached. WTF is up with my knees.:confused:

Would have been better off working today.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

Seen as this is the cycling forum i'll keep my bank holiday bike related.

Out sunday with the local group for 130k of torture, followed by some practise at pedalling at a higher cadence today for 40k, hope it pays off sometime soon !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

Slept in even though i'd set the alarm. Headed out to Howth, had a stand-off with a taxi-driver in town on the way home. Got back to the house, left the bike out with the intention of cleaning it after lunch. Went to the gym to do some core exercises & have a shower. Had lunch, put on a wash, read the sports bit of the paper, went shopping for dinner, finished reading paper, made dinner, watched a bit of telly (American Chopper). Realised bike was still outside waiting to be cleaned, said to hell with it & put it in shed, then ironed some shirts for the week. Went online & read a bit more of blorgs adventures in Europe. Shortly going to brush my teeth with the Aquafresh iso-active Foaming Gel I got in the Tour de Kilkenny goodie bag, can't wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I did a 330km spin.

3 hours 50 mins, avg. 86km/h.

OK, I was coming back from a wedding in West Cork. Seems like nice biking country though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

Got home from work at 6:30AM this morning which fubbered up my plans for the day. Annoying too since it didn't rain today and I got lucky and just passed Glencree on Saturday when it rained, then got rained on again on Sunday out in North County Dublin.

I think its time to switch back to carrying a jacket and not a gillet :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Overslept, out to Howth, did my own TT up hill, 10:31, minute and a half quicker than last time (cos I started from the right place), punctured on the sea front, sat on my arse fixing it, shower and pizza at home, some sewing while watching telly, stir fry, nearly burned house down (throwing water on flaming oil really does make a flamethrower, lucky I did it outside), watched Robert Mitchum in Farewell my Lovely while eating too much junk. More sewing, sleep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Saturday went to Croke Park to see the Dubs finally beat Tyrone. Saturday night went to friends house and then went to parents house. Sunday came home again and did not much else. Monday went for quick 40km spin around Newbridge before heading to friends house and finally a trip to Ikea.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭godihatedehills

Wicklow Gap, Slieve Mann & Shay Elliott.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

Wicklow Gap, Slieve Mann & Shay Elliott.

:)

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

Myself and my son headed down to Brittas Bay on Sunday evening. It pissed rain but it was a great outing for my new Crud Racer 'guards that I'd just fitted.

Crashed out in a friends 'van and then all three of us did our first Slieve Maan and Shay Elliot climbs. Great Fun.

@godihatedehills, were you in that bunch of three that left us for dead near Aghavannagh?

Broke my new Cruds putting bike in wife's car boot on way home from Brittas:(.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Ran down mainstreet Lahinch wearing a Bikini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Myself and my son headed down to Brittas Bay on Sunday evening. It pissed rain but it was a great outing for my new Crud Racer 'guards that I'd just fitted.

Crashed out in a friends 'van and then all three of us did our first Slieve Maan and Shay Elliot climbs. Great Fun.

@godihatedehills, were you in that bunch of three that left us for dead near Aghavannagh?

Broke my new Cruds putting bike in wife's car boot on way home from Brittas:(.

sounds like an intersting route. do you go along the coast road? drove down to greystones recently and there were some great hills on the way and want to cycle them someday.

any chance you could put a route up on map my ride or the likes of that?

went to lidl warehouse clearance in northwood and got 3 stairgates. well worth the moeny. also got baby listening thing. did a quick 12.5 km around airport and back to finglas. beat my old time so new time of 24.5 mins from 25.5 mins. happy out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

any chance you could put a route up on map my ride or the likes of that?

Route to Greystones and Slieve Maan, Shay Elliot. Have fun:).

thats a pretty cool site. is it free to sign up? like the way when you put the cursor over the altitude distance plot you see the dot moving on the map and it gives you exact co-ordinates of gradients, heights. nice.

i use cardio trainer from work smart labs but dont think it has this feature.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭TurloughT

Spin to Enniskerry via edmonstown rd & then glencullen. Nice carrot cake and coffee at Poppies. Yum!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

I use that ridewithgps site - the features are good but its main advantage is that it is very fast.

After three weeks holidays in Kerry, with a bit of cycling thrown in, I returned home to see what I hope is a decisive turning point in the fortunes of the Dubs. Celebratory pints that night made a Sunday morning cycle unattractive and the day was a bit of a washout. I did just over 100km around north dublin and meath on Monday morning. I don't normally do schadenfreude but every 'good luck to eamonn and the boys' sign I passed made me smile inside. An afternoon trip to Imaginosity with the kids rounded off the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Clontarf to Trim and back. Stopped at the castle for a banana. :)

I use that ridewithgps site - the features are good but its main advantage is that it is very fast.

After three weeks holidays in Kerry, with a bit of cycling thrown in, I returned home to see what I hope is a decisive turning point in the fortunes of the Dubs. Celebratory pints that night made a Sunday morning cycle unattractive and the day was a bit of a washout. I did just over 100km around north dublin and meath on Monday morning. I don't normally do schadenfreude but every 'good luck to eamonn and the boys' sign I passed made me smile inside. An afternoon trip to Imaginosity with the kids rounded off the weekend.

Tell us more about ridewithgps? I have a HTC Hero with GPS. Will it work with this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

In bed sick....Boo-urnns :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 NoddingCyclist

Decided to go for a run before my cycle and sorry I did now.
    Ended up with stress fracture to my foot & am now in a splint, hobbling on crutches and out of action for a couple of weeks :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Tell us more about ridewithgps? I have a HTC Hero with GPS. Will it work with this?

Can't help you there. I just use it to map my routes (manually) and log my activity and times. I also like the interaction between the elevation chart and the map but, as I said, the best thing about it is that it's lightning quick. MMR is geological in comparison.
    rocstar wrote:
    Clontarf to Trim and back. Stopped at the castle for a banana.

I went from Killester to out near Trim. I had my banana outside Bellewstown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭twinsen

went to work but did Ballinasloe - Dublin on Sunday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 934 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

A wet and windy 100km romp down the wicklow moutains saturday followed by an epic meal and drinking and cigarettes, urgh. On sunday three fast laps of stocking lane/cruagh etc loop for my sins, followed by pub. :) Walked to work and back Monday, 2hours, and a 1hr flat yet fast route monday evening and chilled. Nice weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

165k cycling over the 3 days including the TdKilkenny, 2 runs and plenty of sociable beers and nice food food, spent time with family and friends. my idea of a good weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

Back from holidays and had my first cycle in 2 weeks. Did a short loop from home to Tallaght, up Stocking Lane, Sally Gap, down to the N81 and home. Went hardish and felt it.

It was also my first outing in a boards jersey. Felt good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

Junior wrote: »
    Ran down mainstreet Lahinch wearing a Bikini.

Again

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I delivered jerseys to half of Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mockler007

it was a Bank holiday ???
    nobody told me like :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

jwshooter wrote: »
    Again

First time doing it, I'm not the infamous Thong Man

• Advertisement
Advertisement