Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aquarium - Can I Have Too Much Oxygen?

• 02-08-2010 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭

Recently dumped the water pump which came with my rekord 60 and installed a bubble wall. This, generates more bubbles than before and therefore, I assume more oxygen in the tank?

If the former statement is true, can you have too much oxygen in a tank? Just want to be sure I am doing the right thing and dont need to put the bubble wall on a timer or anything like that.

Cheers
    Whitey

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Fishyfreak

I'm assuming you didn't replace the filter with an airstone...if so......
    Nope you can't have too much oxygen, but if you plan on keeping live plants it can drive away Co2 which the plants need.

Get yourself a "non return valve" for the airline. Costs about 3 euro but will stop the line back siphoning water all over your house in the event of the power being cut.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I'm not familiar with the rekord 60 but I'm almost sure it comes with a water filter, not a water pump. If so, you'll actually need both.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭whiteboard

Thanks for the replies.

No the filter is still there in all its glory.....
    I replaced this baby
    http://http://www.juwel-aquarium.de/en/bersicht193.htm
    with a bubble wall.
    Just want to be sure I havent done something a bit thick!!

Whitey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

You took aout the filter and put in an Air-Stone?
    What is treating the waste in your tank then? If you've taken out the filter (I have one of these tanks), your fish will be dead in a week. The build up of toxins in the water will wipe them out. The purpose of the filter is not to add oxygen to the water, but to drag the water through the sponges, therefore cleaning it using the bacteria that live in them. Without this, you'll get N build up, and a series of trips to fishie heaven. Put it back, ASAP.

Air stones are fine, but no recommended for Aquariums with live plants, as they drive out the naturally dissolved CO2 that plants need.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that part you linked is the pump for the filter, that draws the water in through the filter sponges and pumps it back out.

You'll need that!

• Advertisement

Guys,

Filter pump is now reconnected, I didnt realise thats whats its for; I though it was a pump to circulate water to help the oxgen levels in the tank.

Thanks for replies; I knew it was a good idea to ask.

Whitey.

Phew! Fishies saved :)

An just to finish off the whole debacle, I arrived home yesterday to find some molly fry swimming in the tank.

More fishy lives saved.

Thanks again.

Wow, that's awesome.

What will you do with them?

I hope to try and keep them - alive.
    This is the 2nd batch Ive had; I put the 1st in a breeding tank but they didnt fair too well.
    I think this time, I will try leaving them in the main tank as I have read this may be just as good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭thethedev

It is possible to have too much oxygen, depends on the species though; how much is too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

I know too much oxygen in a marine system can affect the pH levels....

Advertisement