Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Catia V5

Options
  • 02-08-2010 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

been a while since I posted in here but I need some help if someone could assist,

In the job i'm just starting I'm to use Catia V5 quite extensivley. I've only really used proEngineer to an advanced level and have never used Catia.

I was hoping someone could point me in the direction of getting some good online notes on how to use it?

or if someone has a .pdf from college/courses could they PM me please?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

A previous poster on here linked this site

http://www.myigetit.com/training/catia-training.aspx

its a pay site but it doesnt look too expensive

i'd be very interested to see if you use and how you get on with it

what industry are you in just out of curiousity

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭patto_chan

There are some good free tutorials around if you search.
    A guy in Hong Kong called Dickson Sham has been very prolific and had 100 or so v5 modeling tips clips on YouTube. They're no longer on his YouTube page (although he has other useful stuff there) but can be found here.

More tips here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Really depends on what you use it for and whether or not your installation in work has any in-house functionality.

Are you interested in surface-based or solid based design?
    I presume surface based because this is Catia's strength...
    Then I guess you will be using the Generative Surface Design module yeah?

Initially you need to learn the structure of the file tree. Product>Sub-Product>Part>Part-Body etc.

Then learn about the collectors like geometrical set, ordered geometrical set etc.

Actual function usage is I believe quite well explained in teh help file so you can trudge through that examining each one and trying them out, taking notes as you go.

To be honest, myself I find this the best approach, but make sure you understand your companies rules regarding design rules and file structures (for example volumes should be represented as: hollow surface/think surface/solid) and work from there.

Advertisement