Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food for pups

Options
  • 02-08-2010 9:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Having read some of my threads about my westies fussy appetite im just looking for some info and what tinned food i could give her to give her some variety in her diet because its obvious that she is totally fed up with just The Royal Canin nuts and i dont want to change her to a different brand of nuts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Having read some of my threads about my westies fussy appetite im just looking for some info and what tinned food i could give her to give her some variety in her diet because its obvious that she is totally fed up with just The Royal Canin nuts and i dont want to change her to a different brand of nuts.

I got some free samples of James Wellbeloved pouches and gave mine just a small bit of it with the kibble when I thought she should be eating more, by the third feed she was only eating the small bit of wet food and by the second day she stopped eating completely. I was given advice by a pet shop in the north (very reputable) that if you just keep putting it down and taking it up again they will eat it eventually if their hungry. I was told if you give in to them this just aggravates the problem and they get worse. So I've dumped the rest of the pouches and she was eating the dry food again after a few days. I'm changing the brand very slowly (over 3 weeks) as she had other problems on the Royal Canin but I'm going to stick with it till the time comes to change to adult food. Some days she eats more, some days less, some days nothing. Still putting weight on though and seems perfectly happy so I'm not worried about the varied eating patterns at this stage, when she starts to lose condition or show some other symptoms then I'll worry ;) I think it's just in the breed of them:rolleyes:

How long has she been on the RC? Is she showing any signs of intollerance to it (chewing her paws/scratching/hyperactivity?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Westie_Owner

I got some free samples of James Wellbeloved pouches and gave mine just a small bit of it with the kibble when I thought she should be eating more, by the third feed she was only eating the small bit of wet food and by the second day she stopped eating completely. I was given advice by a pet shop in the north (very reputable) that if you just keep putting it down and taking it up again they will eat it eventually if their hungry. I was told if you give in to them this just agrivates the problem and they get worse. So I've dumped the rest of the pouches and she was eating the dry food again after a few days. I'm changing the brand very slowly (over 3 weeks) as she had other problems on the Royal Canin but I'm going to stick with it till the time comes to change to adult food. Some days she eats more, some days less, some days nothing. Still putting weight on though and seems perfectly happy so I'm not worried about the varied eating patterns at this stage, when she starts to lose condition or show some other symptoms then I'll worry ;) I think it's just in the breed of them:rolleyes:

How long has she been on the RC? Is she showing any signs of intollerance to it (chewing her paws/scratching/hyperactivity?)

She has been on the royal canin for at least 3 months and no signs of skin irritation or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

She has been on the royal canin for at least 3 months and no signs of skin irritation or anything.

Personally in that case, i'd just try to stick with it for a while, as long as she's happy enough in every other respect and is healthy enough. I'd just keep an eye on her condition and activity levels and if there's a change there then maybe think about making some change to her diet at that point. Hopefully I've been some help to you, I know it's very frustrating and you feel you should be doing something about it but I just imagine they have some reason we don't know about for doing what they do :rolleyes: . . . probably for kicks or the entertainment of watching us worry or something :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

I feel mean too just giving Royal Canin to my pup - the only thing about changing the food is that they might get fussy, and you don't want that, because eventually no food will be good enough for them :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Dancing queen do you have any Kongs?
    I mash up left over veg and meat with some nuts and stuff the kongs, it gives variety without messing with the food. This can be great for keeping them quiet when out or even if you want to mop the floors without paw prints:D
    Just remember to take out the amount given from their daily food allowance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

Thanks Mymo! I do have a kong - but the hole is massive in it and everything falls out the end :(

I need to be more creative I suppose, she does love a bit of raw carrot, and it keeps her quiet while I'm trying to do something..

I will try the mashed up veg :)

Advertisement