Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London Beers - August

Options
  • 02-08-2010 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Well it's the second day of August so it's about time this thread was started!!!:D

Thursday\Friday after work suits me but what about the rest of you????
    All suggestions welcome.

Update with the final details:
    The next session is on Friday 20th of August, in the Ship and Shovell. The nearest Underground station is Charing Cross. Things will probably start around 7:30 or so.

When would you like to have the August London Beers? 3 votes

Friday 6th
    0%
    Saturday 7th
    0%
    Friday 13th
    0%
    Saturday 14th
    0%
    Thursday 19th
    0%
    Friday 20th
    66%
    m@cc@Sinall 2 votes
    Saturday 21st
    33%
    D-Generate 1 vote
    Friday 27th
    0%
    Saturday 28th
    0%
    Other
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Sinall

Friday 20th
    Thursday/Friday after work suits me too. Can't do Friday 20th as I have a friend over from Ireland. Although if her flight is in on time I could bring her along - she's on boards too!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Cheetara

How about Thursday the 19th then?

I know people have a lot on at the weekends so this might suit others as well!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Hmm, this month is mostly a write-off for me, between people coming over to visit and me heading away to see people there are maybe 3 or 4 days of the whole month where I'm available :(

If the 19th sounds good, we may as well try and plan something for then, though. Any thoughts on where to head? Thursday should be less busy than the weekend...

Edited to add:

I've added a public poll to the thread so folks can make their preferences known.

Cheetara wrote: »
    How about Thursday the 19th then?

I know people have a lot on at the weekends so this might suit others as well!!

Just realised I can't make the 19th. Will see what dates the poll comes up with but if we are looking at Thursdays how about the 12th????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Saturday 21st
    Well anytime suits me but I voted Friday 20th as I like Fridays.... what a weak reason.

• Advertisement

Friday 20th
    Voted for 19th but can do 12th as well!

D-Generate wrote: »
    Well anytime suits me but I voted Friday 20th as I like Fridays.... what a weak reason.

Fridays....I love Fridays!!!:D

Am waiting to hear if my sister is coming to visit so am not sure about the 20th yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Friday 20th
    Reasonably flexible in regards to this.

So are we going for next week then?

As it stands I can make the 20th.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

It looks like the 20th should work - I can't make it though, as I've a bunch of family members visiting that week.

Fridays being manic, the choice of pub becomes a bit more pressing - most places around Leicester Square will be jammers from about 7 onwards, and the same for food places if anyone's thinking of getting a quick bite to eat first.

I know I'm sounding like a broken record at this point, but the Ship & Shovell near Charing Cross probably isn't a bad starting suggestion - it's central and tends not to be too busy on Fridays & Saturdays.

What say ye?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Month's a write off for me, and I'll be off into the Brecons at the start of Sept for the weekend so no go :(

Fysh wrote: »
    I know I'm sounding like a broken record at this point, but the Ship & Shovell near Charing Cross probably isn't a bad starting suggestion - it's central and tends not to be too busy on Fridays & Saturdays.

Hahaha are you getting commission from this place or what? :D

In all seriousness, it wasn't too packed the last time we went there so it could be a good starting point.

Friday 20th
    And I was greatly amused by the names of the beers! It was a nice place and as Cheetara said, not too packed when we were there.

Cheetara wrote: »
    Hahaha are you getting commission from this place or what? :D

I tell you what, I bloody should be. Honestly though, it's about the only pub I've found in the Charing Cross/Leicester Square are that has been consistently comfortable on the Friday & Saturday evenings when I've popped in, compared to almost everywhere else being a lot busier. (The Garrick Arms is also reasonably good, but I've not been there as often..)

Well I'm heading into town tomorrow night and will be in around the Leicester Sq area. If i come across any non-packed pubs i'll report back otherwise the Ship and Shovel next week sounds good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Saturday 21st
    Since I am in college writing a thesis on this Friday night i reaffirm that I am definitely down for some drinks next Friday night (20th). Ship and Shovel it is!

So are we still on for this Friday then?

The week i'm having i'll be in need of a few drinks!!!

Friday 20th
    My friend arrives into London at about 6pm and we are going for dinner at 9.30 pm so could probably make it for a few drinks in the meantime!

Advertisement