Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guilty Conscience

Options
  • 02-08-2010 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

This might be vague but I don't want anyone to know where I'm talking about. Basically after being unemployed for a couple of months I got a new job and started last week. It's my perfect job and so far I love it. It's a very large company and everyone seems to love working there. My role is to make everything more efficient so that they won't have to hire as much staff. In other words, I've just landed myself a full time role but it means other people will lose their jobs as a result.

I feel terrible about this but it is my dream job and I don't want to give it up but at the same time I feel terrible that I'm getting a job at expense of other people, possibly lots of other people. They don't plan to get rid of anybody for a couple of years until after the recession but that doesn't make me feel any better.

I don't really know what I'm looking for. I'm not going to leave the job but I don't like the idea that people are going to lose their because of me, although not directly. Has anyone else even been in a situation like this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Rylan

There is ablsolutely no need to feel guilty at all. You were hired by the company to do a job that saves them money. All companies are trying to do this now and if it wasn't you that got hired it would be someone else and with the same result. Best of luck with it. Enjoying the job is half the battle. Again you have NOTHING to feel guilty about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

How can you do a job that expects you to be shrewd with that attitude!

Basically, your job probably won't put any existing staff out of work. It might just result in a recruitment ban, where staff who leave aren't replaced. This is actually better for the company - it makes it more lean and the company has more chance of surviving and growing in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

The more efficient a company is the better its chances of surviving. (Lower costs=greater sales and/or profits) either way you are making the majority of the employees more secure in their positions.

Or think of it the other way, if your company doesn't make sufficient sales and profits another company will... result the other company prospers and grows while your company fails to sell as much and shrinks eventually closing with the loss of work for all the employees.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Tefral

Look at it this way, if you werent doing it someone else would...

Might aswell be you, charity begins at home and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

My role is to make everything more efficient so that they won't have to hire as much staff.
    Lets look at it another way, shall we? They want to be efficient, so that the company doesn't go under, and cause everyone to loose their jobs. I suppose it's up to you to see how the job affects people:

Keep everyone in your job in a job
    or
    Stop more people from joining

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

The software I wrote in my last job made a lot of jobs redundant -and in places in the world where jobs aren't easy to come by. I felt the same as you. A mate of mine said something that made me see it differently. It was something along the lines of "you can't stop progression.... when they start making cars it put stable boys and blacksmiths out of work but it made jobs in mechanics... when they made electric drills and screw guns it cost millions of jobs because it meant, say, one sparks could then do a lot more work in one day. It doesn't mean they shouldn't have invented them though, does it?".

hmm. it sounded a bit wiser and more profound after an evenings worth of pints. Still, there's something there I think.

Advertisement