Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using repeaters in 5 story building

Options
  • 02-08-2010 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭

I have a standard eircom router for wireless in a 5 story building and obviously people at the higher floors are not able to get signal. Is there somewhere to buy repeaters in Dublin and are they reliable and easy to install?Is there some kinda mega powerful router that it would be better to use instead of repeaters or does such a thing exist? It's actually two 5 story Georgian buildings so I'd need to cover a substantial area! Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭n0brain3r

Are there network points throughout the building back to a central location?

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭IT-Guy

griffdaddy wrote: »
    I have a standard eircom router for wireless in a 5 story building and obviously people at the higher floors are not able to get signal. Is there somewhere to buy repeaters in Dublin and are they reliable and easy to install?Is there some kinda mega powerful router that it would be better to use instead of repeaters or does such a thing exist? It's actually two 5 story Georgian buildings so I'd need to cover a substantial area! Thanks for your help.

I'd avoid using repeaters if possible, they effectively halve the network speed. If - as n0brain3r asked - there are network points throughout the building then there is another solution involving either wireless access points or configuring wireless routers to function as access points.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭n0brain3r

Yup if you have network points I've used these on a similiar scale project Zyxel NWA3160 they have good coverage and are managed so you'll have a single SSID across the whole building.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 fr_ted

Hi griffdaddy,

Can you use power sockets on each floor?

http://www.aerial.net/shop/product_info.php?cPath=103&products_id=644

then plug into wireless router on each level?

Cheers
    Ted

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

No network points. Stupidly enough i think there's CAT5 all over the building, but it's probably for the telephones. (It's a guesthouse building) I bought one of these and I'll give it a try, setting it up seems to be pretty difficult though. It's actually very difficult to find something that extends wirelessly, they have plenty of extenders that need hardwiring, but obviously that's not gonna help. How badly would the network be slowed down with this thing? Some of the reviewers said they tagged on another extender to this one and changed the ip address to avoid conflicts and it extended pretty far. I don't think there'd be a lot of people on the networking simultaneously, mainly what's important is that they get some kind of signal for checking mails etc in their room. Thanks again for the replies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

fr_ted wrote: »
    Hi griffdaddy,

Can you use power sockets on each floor?

http://www.aerial.net/shop/product_info.php?cPath=103&products_id=644

then plug into wireless router on each level?

Cheers
    Ted

This is probably the easiest option.
    You can then plug an access point into each floor.
    Then all your traffic goes back to your eircom router and out to the interweb.
    This will give you better speeds and resilience.

I would never expect one eircom router to reach a fifth floor in a georgian house.

Ed

Advertisement