Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota Prius 2002--- Whats the story with them?

Options
  • 02-08-2010 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hello all

Wondering if anyone here has one of the Toyota Prius Hybrid NHW11 1.5 04DR SALOON.

I am about to importing one from Japan. A 2002 model With a mileage of 70,000km and it is costing me roughly about 5500euros.

Just wondering if i can get some advice on the car itself. How it is mechanically and what about fuel efficiency. Anything to watch out.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

adigilani wrote: »
    Hello all

Wondering if anyone here has one of the Toyota Prius Hybrid NHW11 1.5 04DR SALOON.

I am about to importing one from Japan. A 2002 model With a mileage of 70,000km and it is costing me roughly about 5500euros.

Just wondering if i can get some advice on the car itself. How it is mechanically and what about fuel efficiency. Anything to watch out.

Being an 8 yr old car I'd be
    Looking for proof the battery is 100%.
    If it were me I would import something else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

5,500 :eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 82,309 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Don't buy this car, the first generation Prius was rubbish, you should be able to pick a 2nd generation model here for around 6 or 7k.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭adigilani

mondeo--> I spoke to the person there in Japan and he says the battery would be changed for a new one. Is there anything else i should know about the particular model of Prius

Atlantic Dawn--> I thought the first Gen was NW10. The one i am after is NW11. And sorry my mistake, lost in converstion... LOLZ... it is 4500€ what the cost would be for me after paying VRT and Import TAX

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Do not buy an '02 Prius, they were terrible. Buy an '05 or later.

confab--> can you please explain the "horrible"...

• Registered Users Posts: 82,309 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Atlantic Dawn--> I thought the first Gen was NW10. The one i am after is NW11. And sorry my mistake, lost in converstion... LOLZ... it is 4500€ what the cost would be for me after paying VRT and Import TAX

You need the NHW20 to be the 2nd generation, this one is years ahead in terms of power and design than the NW11 model. The VRT on a UK model is tiny, importing from Japan will result in import duty and VRT and around €1k in shipping fees.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Prius

Atlantic Dawn--> thanks for the reference. After reading the article, it makes sense to buy the 2nd gen. But what are the flaws of 1st Gen. I am bit tight on my pocket. Was able to get one 1st gen here for 3500 so thought if i will import one from Japan myself, perhaps it will work out better.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,450 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The first gen is awful looking, cheap inside, small, and risky.
    Is sooner get a diesel cordoba or something, but for the money you'd get a nice low mileage avensis or anything really.
    Better options out there for the money

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Was able to get one 1st gen here for 3500 so thought if i will import one from Japan myself, perhaps it will work out better.

€2k dearer according to your first post :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,222 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

OP, did you look at the Honda Civic IMA? They were never offically sold here but they were sold in the UK, they are pretty high spec too and offer good fuel economy:

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201028198830412

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

No, no, no!!

Everytime someone buys a Pirus (or some other similiar piece of sh1t) a little piece of me dies.

I have a budget of 3500 to 4000. I was on look out for an avensis but couldn't find anything decent and then came across this prius which is working out 4500€ (sorry for the first post 5500). So i thought i would take chances. But been reading reviews (mostly of used in USA) and i thought i would ask here...

bazz26 wrote: »
    OP, did you look at the Honda Civic IMA? They were never offically sold here but they were sold in the UK, they are pretty high spec too and offer good fuel economy:

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201028198830412

I thought about honda civic hybrid too... but to me prius looked more spacious.. :-) but what you guys reckon, how is it compare to prius...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

If I temporarily park my complete annoyance at the markeing con-job that is current hybrid's, then I'd say this: I know someone who had gen 1 Prius, and it never let him down or anything, but quite apart from it being over-priced, it's also the same price to tax as a Corolla (more than a 1.3, actually....), and is no lighter on juice. It's also hideous inside. So there isn't even a single economic argument to own one.

The battery, someone's mentioned - I'd want to see the invoice and warranty in the new one.

There are so many better/cheaper/nicer cars out there, really..........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 51,222 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

That model Civic is spacious enough for the class of car, probably not as spacious as the Mk2 Prius but that Prius is a newer design and a hatchback but the Civic would definately be a better buy than the Mk1 Prius.

I'd test drive both cars anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Bigus

You'll get a second gen in the uk for as little as 3.5 sterling and vrt is very small.

Bigus wrote: »
    You'll get a second gen in the uk for as little as 3.5 sterling and vrt is very small.

any particular place where i can get 2gen for 3.5k sterling...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Bigus

Autotrader.co.uk two on there one 04 and one 05,

• Advertisement

Bigus wrote: »
    Autotrader.co.uk two on there one 04 and one 05,

bigus--> can you give me the direct links of the cars... or tell me the postal code to put in for the search.

Advertisement