Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Megathread-Ask your questions here-See post 1 on how to search thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭JosDel

No, unfortunately you need to edit it in a text editor.
    I've done it for you (you owe me a pint. ;))

I had to:
    1. Export it from Garmin Connect
    2. Open it in a text editor (preferably something that understands XML tags).
    3. Remove all of the erroneous data. In your case, all <trackpoints> after the time: <Time>2010-09-11T11:00:08Z</Time>
    4. Finally, I had to edit the overall lap time, which was showing 647 seconds, or something. So I edited it to show 321 seconds (start of your lap to the last trackpoint).

I tried it in GTC and it's showing correctly. You need to download the attached and remove the .txt part of the filename. Then try and import it into your Garmin Connect.

That's perfect now KC, you are a genius, The next couple of rounds are on me :D
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/48513012

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

JosDel wrote: »
    That's perfect now KC, you are a genius, The next couple of rounds are on me :D
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/48513012
    Oops. your average pace for the last lap is showing 17:22. Ah well. We fixed most of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭JosDel

Thats OK KC, I am happy that the finishing time is correct..thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

I've had the Garmin 110 4 months now and it's going great except that I have somehow managed to lose the record of my LSR twice. It's either one of 2 things:

- my watch getting too full and the overwrite function is not working properly
    - by pressing reset straight after the run I'm somehow deleting them. I usually don't press reset until the beginning of my next run but on both occasions when the records disappeared I pressed reset at the end of my LSR.

When I load to Garmin Connect the time and date of the run comes up as an activity with a fail message and no further data is available.

Has anyone else had/heard of this issue before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

If you have the auto lap disabled on the garmin is there anyway to get the split date from a run, I've mine today but jsut shows as one split, and with GC can only see the pace @ each mile and not the split.

• Advertisement

shels4ever wrote: »
    If you have the auto lap disabled on the garmin is there anyway to get the split date from a run, I've mine today but jsut shows as one split, and with GC can only see the pace @ each mile and not the split.
    Not in Garmin Connect or Training Centre. If you import it into Sportstracks, you can create any splits you want.

runrabbit wrote: »
    I've had the Garmin 110 4 months now and it's going great except that I have somehow managed to lose the record of my LSR twice. It's either one of 2 things:

- my watch getting too full and the overwrite function is not working properly
    - by pressing reset straight after the run I'm somehow deleting them. I usually don't press reset until the beginning of my next run but on both occasions when the records disappeared I pressed reset at the end of my LSR.

When I load to Garmin Connect the time and date of the run comes up as an activity with a fail message and no further data is available.

Has anyone else had/heard of this issue before?
    Hi RunRabbit, you should get into the habit of resetting the Garmin after completing every run. I'm not sure that it will solve your issues (particularly as you did reset it for both of your lost activities), but it's definitely the right thing to do. If you forget to reset it, and press start, then immediately you run into the same problems that Joe (above) suffered, where suddenly your last activity might now appear to have take two days, etc.

I used to have awful trouble uploading large activities, but that was down to my internet connection, and was resolved when my line was upgraded. What about importing the activities into Garmin Training Centre? Have you tried that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Not in Garmin Connect or Training Centre. If you import it into Sportstracks, you can create any splits you want.

Thanks thats what i was thinking.

Hi RunRabbit, you should get into the habit of resetting the Garmin after completing every run. I'm not sure that it will solve your issues (particularly as you did reset it for both of your lost activities), but it's definitely the right thing to do. If you forget to reset it, and press start, then immediately you run into the same problems that Joe (above) suffered, where suddenly your last activity might now appear to have take two days, etc.

I used to have awful trouble uploading large activities, but that was down to my internet connection, and was resolved when my line was upgraded. What about importing the activities into Garmin Training Centre? Have you tried that?

Thanks Krusty, the reset immediately after a run seems to be the common factor but the only way to be sure is to try again! I will do that tomorrow. It doesn't make much sense!

It doesn't seem to be a connection problem - it's not available in the watch history either! I haven't downloaded Garmin Training Centre yet - I must try that too.

runrabbit wrote: »
    Thanks Krusty, the reset immediately after a run seems to be the common factor but the only way to be sure is to try again! I will do that tomorrow. It doesn't make much sense!

It doesn't seem to be a connection problem - it's not available in the watch history either! I haven't downloaded Garmin Training Centre yet - I must try that too.
    Hmm, if it's not present on the watch either, then it sounds like a bug. If it happens again, do a hard reset. If it's still happening, I would bring/send it back. Are you running the latest firmware? It should be 2.2, which fixes among other things, these problems:
    * Fixed issue where the watch could freeze when dropping a lap.
    * Fixed issue where the current activity file could fail to save.

I really do come across as a Garmin employee sometimes.

• Advertisement

Hmm, if it's not present on the watch either, then it sounds like a bug. If it happens again, do a hard reset. If it's still happening, I would bring/send it back. Are you running the latest firmware? It should be 2.2, which fixes among other things, these problems:
    * Fixed issue where the watch could freeze when dropping a lap.
    * Fixed issue where the current activity file could fail to save.

I really do come across as a Garmin employee sometimes.

Aha - I only had version 2.0. That's now updated.

I tried the reset today and it saved no bother (this was before the update) which leads me to suspect it may be an issue when the device memory is full. So for peace of mind I must delete off the older files every now and then.

Thanks for your help!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

how do people judge their training paces when using a garmin watch.

Using mcmillan, daniels and/or other, we are given recommended training paces based on recent race results.

Eg. in my case i raced a half marathon yesterday in 81:56mins @6:15m/m, so using Daniels, thats a VDOT of 56.8.

But due to my poor race line(and im not suggesting the course was inaccurate!!) my garmin read, 13.2m at the finish......which when using my garmin would give me a pace of 6:12m/m.

a half marathon time at 6:12m/m pace is, 81:19mins

should i type in a half marathon time of 81:19min to get a more accurate garmin related training pace?

so that when i go out on a tempo run, and im pacing myself with my garmin watch, its more accurate to current garmin data?

what do people do, any suggentions?

I ran a sub-3 marathon in Berlin last year, before I crossed the finish line. I did the same at the Frank Duffy 10 mile, finishing in less than an hour, 10 feet before the finish line.

If you ran long in the half marathon, you'll probably run equally long in the marathon. No point in kidding yourself! Run to the time recorded by the organizers, not the time/distance recorded on your watch.

If you want to run slightly faster in your training runs then do so, but don't adjust your race expectations based on what the watch recorded.

If you want to run slightly faster in your training runs then do so, but don't adjust your race expectations based on what the watch recorded.

yup, im not talking about race expectations...but a tempo pace recorded on garmin is prob faster that a tempo pace were it in a 10m or half marathon race(if you know what i mean).....so in training, should a tempo pace be based by what is recorded from a garmin.

Eg 2, Krusty(hope you dont mind me using you as a example) you ran at a pace of 6:35m/m in barcelona, even though you prob finished with 6:4Xm/m(?) by race finish time.

is there any merit in basing your tempo pace on a 6:35m/m marathon instead of a 6:4xm/m marathon?*

* post barcelona marathon that is and a long time before you did a 60:02min 10m race! ;)

seanynova wrote: »
    yup, im not talking about race expectations...but a tempo pace recorded on garmin is prob faster that my tempo pace were it in a 10m or half marathon race(if you know what i mean).....so in training, should a tempo pace be based by what is recorded from a garmin.

Eg 2, Krusty(hope you dont mind me using you as a example) you ran at a pace of 6:35m/m in barcelona, even though you prob finished with 6:4Xm/m(?) by race finish time.

is there any merit in basing your tempo pace on a 6:35m/m marathon instead of a 6:4xm/m marathon?
    Yeah, I know what you mean. But if you think of it, if I didn't own a Garmin watch, my pace in Barcelona would be 6:42/mile, without question. So suddenly ownership of a GPS watch makes you 7 seconds per mile faster. :)

The problem is, it's quite misleading. If you train at 6 min/mile as a PMP (according to the watch), you'll find that that pace translates to 6:05 in a race environment (don't forget some of this gain comes from GPS inaccuracy). So if you want to hit sub-3 in a marathon, Mcmillan will tell you you need to run it at 6:53 (for 2:59:59). The reality is that if you plan on hitting that time and running according to the Garmin's average pace, then you should realistically be aiming for an average pace of approximately 6:48/mile.

For the sake of consistency, I'd suggest that when you're calculating training/tempo paces, you stick with the officially recorded pace/achievement (except where the course is found to be short or long). Remember: there is nothing to stop you from doing those tempo sessions a little bit faster (and in fact the difference between the two devices will typically only be a couple of seconds per mile).

Related to the previous post and it often gets asked, here are the fields that I would recommend people have displayed on a Garmin watch during a race. Remember, these are just my views/suggestions, so others will have their own preferences and views on what works best, so please post alternative points of view (I'm not the greatest authority on Garmin watches, just the most willing to reply to people's questions!):

1) Time: This isn't the time of day, but actually the time since the race started (race time). Use this in conjunction with a pace band, so you get an accurate reflection of your pace on a mile by mile basis.

2) Distance: This is an approximation of the distance you have covered since the race began, but will likely read long due to GPS inaccuracy, poor racing line, water stops, etc.

3) Average Pace: This is an approximation of your average pace over the course of the race so far, but may read either too fast or too slow, depending on GPS accuracy, racing line, etc. Handy as a backup in case your pace-band strategy doesn't work out (e.g. no distance markers), but values should be taken with a pinch of salt.

4) If you have a 4th data field (Forerunner 205/305/310): Then maybe something like Heart rate (though some find having this information available to be counter-productive), pace (if you want to see your pace at a specific point in time), or sun-rise (if you are racing the 50 mile in Dingle :)).

Like I said above, these just represent my opinions and are not a definitive guide. Others will likely have alternative (better) approaches.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

...or sun-rise (if you are racing the 50 mile in Dingle :)).

Does it actually calculate the sun-rise times? Do they run east in Dingle as different people will get different times depending on what part of the course they are on, and what about if your the wrong side of a mountain at the time?

robinph wrote: »
    Does it actually calculate the sun-rise times? Do they run east in Dingle as different people will get different times depending on what part of the course they are on, and what about if your the wrong side of a mountain at the time?
    I think it downloads that info from the almanac, based on your approximate position. Sunrise is still sunrise, even if you can't see it. :)

Related to the previous post and it often gets asked, here are the fields that I would recommend people have displayed on a Garmin watch during a race. Remember, these are just my views/suggestions, so others will have their own preferences and views on what works best, so please post alternative points of view (I'm not the greatest authority on Garmin watches, just the most willing to reply to people's questions!):

1) Time: This isn't the time of day, but actually the time since the race started (race time). Use this in conjunction with a pace band, so you get an accurate reflection of your pace on a mile by mile basis.

2) Distance: This is an approximation of the distance you have covered since the race began, but will likely read long due to GPS inaccuracy, poor racing line, water stops, etc.

3) Average Pace: This is an approximation of your average pace over the course of the race so far, but may read either too fast or too slow, depending on GPS accuracy, racing line, etc. Handy as a backup in case your pace-band strategy doesn't work out (e.g. no distance markers), but values should be taken with a pinch of salt.

4) If you have a 4th data field (Forerunner 205/305/310): Then maybe something like Heart rate (though some find having this information available to be counter-productive), pace (if you want to see your pace at a specific point in time), or sun-rise (if you are racing the 50 mile in Dingle :)).

Like I said above, these just represent my opinions and are not a definitive guide. Others will likely have alternative (better) approaches.

fair play to ya Krusty, 2 very good, informative posts....

with regards training pace, your right in my case its only a couple of sec for tempo pace...was just a idea though.

thanks for the replies...

seanynova wrote: »
    fair play to ya Krusty, 2 very good, informative posts....

with regards training pace, your right in my case its only a couple of sec for tempo pace...was just a idea though.

thanks for the replies...
    Thinking about it again, I reckon you could run them slightly faster (on the watch) knowing that they will be slightly slower (in reality). So by all means use the faster pace to calculate the tempo pace, just bear in mind that if you shift to track, and base pace on laps/time (rather than watch) expect the results to look slightly slower.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

This covers perfectly a question I was going to ask myself. As Krusty said would love to hear other peoples options too.
    Neil

• Registered Users Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭plodder

I'd agree with those fields on the Garmin 405. The problem for me though is the old eye-sight ain't what it used to be, and it's very hard to read them when there's three or four fields displayed. So, I'm thinking I might just go with elapsed time, and average pace. A pacing band together with stopwatch/elapsed time is probably the most accurate way to measure progress anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Agree with Krusty except on the pace field. I like to break down a race into individual miles (or KM). Therefore I set autolap to 1km or 1mile and have average pace/lap displayed instead of overall average pace. This allows me to focus on keeping the pace up on every individual mile/Km.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

menoscemo wrote: »
    Agree with Krusty except on the pace field. I like to break down a race into individual miles (or KM). Therefore I set autolap to 1km or 1mile and have average pace/lap displayed instead of overall average pace. This allows me to focus on keeping the pace up on every individual mile/Km.
    I find this a bit annoying as sometimes the pace is way out usually at the start of the lap(mile or km) and I find its only showing an accurate pace at the end of the lap. Most of the time I turn off the autolap which gives an overall accurate pace.

gerard65 wrote: »
    I find this a bit annoying as sometimes the pace is way out usually at the start of the lap(mile or km) and I find its only showing an accurate pace at the end of the lap. Most of the time I turn off the autolap which gives an overall accurate pace.
    You don't need to turn off auto-lap, Gerard65. You can keep the splits, but just switch to displaying average pace (or pace) and you get the best of both worlds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Yep, I was going to add that but I could'nt be bothered typing it out.:) I let sportstracks work out the splits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Just an update on my banjaxed watch from earlier posts.

I managed to get a screwdriver set that fits the garmin forerunner. Using a hair dryer I have cleared all condensation from the display and sorted out the buttons also. Some oxidation had occurred so I removed this with some gentle scraping. Water seal was fecked anyway so will have to be mindful of this.

Krusty can look after software problems and I'll now handle all hardware problems :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

not a techie question, but just wondering if anyone has bought a 405 recently? Just looking around for the best value option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 pmg001

I recently got a 305 and I'm finding it great.
    I've heard a lot about the Sporttrack software but there doesn't seem to be a free version anymore.

Is this correct?

• Advertisement

pmg001 wrote: »
    I recently got a 305 and I'm finding it great.
    I've heard a lot about the Sporttrack software but there doesn't seem to be a free version anymore.

Is this correct?
    I didn't think it was the case, but you're correct. 3.0 now had a trial version and a full version. The trial version looks pretty complete and only has minor limitations, but if you like the app, it's definitely worth the $35 asking price.

Advertisement