Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Megathread-Ask your questions here-See post 1 on how to search thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mulberry

aquinn wrote: »
    Let it go completely flat and then charge.

It goes completely flat every time I'm afraid. Usually half way through a run...

I've just charged it now from flat: I have it beside the window and am waiting to see how long it lasts - probably around half an hour I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,624 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Mulberry wrote: »
    I charge it, a few minutes later it tells me it's fully charged
    Leave it charging longer

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote: »
    Leave it charging longer

I think I had it charging for most of the day the other day. Several hours at least. Same result.

I read somewhere that the display can be incorrect i.e. it brings up the fully charged message even though it's not - but I have given it ample time to charge fully, and it still dies a short time later.

Keep the ideas coming!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

I think I had it charging for most of the day the other day. Several hours at least. Same result.

I read somewhere that the display can be incorrect i.e. it brings up the fully charged message even though it's not - but I have given it ample time to charge fully, and it still dies a short time later.

Keep the ideas coming!

try a soft reset or even a full reset (make sure you've uploaded everything first!!!) and leave charging overnight

then post a letter to santa... :)

link to reset https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={4315c510-5161-11dc-4ec8-000000000000}

It goes completely flat every time I'm afraid. Usually half way through a run...

I've just charged it now from flat: I have it beside the window and am waiting to see how long it lasts - probably around half an hour I reckon.

Just got the Battery Flat beep. That was half an hour or so.

• Advertisement

Firedance wrote: »
    try a soft reset or even a full reset (make sure you've uploaded everything first!!!) and leave charging overnight

then post a letter to santa... :)

link to reset https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={4315c510-5161-11dc-4ec8-000000000000}

Thanks Firedance. I will do exactly as you suggest - apart from the letter to Santa bit - that's running to several pages already!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Get two sticks - one slightly longer than the other, and fasten them in a criss-cross fashion. Dig a four inch cavity in your garden. Gently lay the watch into the cavity. Speak some incantations, in a breathy, spiritual and sublime tone, and gradually replace the earth back into the cavity, patting down the top earth, and placing the two sticks (in the form of a cross) gently into the now-filled cavity.

More seriously, it sounds like the battery is on the way out. There are internet-based services that offer things like battery substitution, but to be honest, on a 4 year old watch, it's likely not worth it. You could send it back to Garmin for a replacement, but the associated charge would e far greater than the value of the watch. Sadly, unless you can resurrect it using one of the above methods, burial is the next step.

Get two sticks - one slightly longer than the other, and fasten them in a criss-cross fashion. Dig a four inch cavity in your garden. Gently lay the watch into the cavity. Speak some incantations, in a breathy, spiritual and sublime tone, and gradually replace the earth back into the cavity, patting down the top earth, and placing the two sticks (in the form of a cross) gently into the now-filled cavity.

More seriously, it sounds like the battery is on the way out. There are internet-based services that offer things like battery substitution, but to be honest, on a 4 year old watch, it's likely not worth it. You could send it back to Garmin for a replacement, but the associated charge would e far greater than the value of the watch. Sadly, unless you can resurrect it using one of the above methods, burial is the next step.

Weirdly, I'm actually quite attached to my Garmin so this has made me feel quite sad!

Weird indeed! LOL.

Fingers crossed Firedance's methods will come up trumps otherwise yes, I would tend to agree with you Krusty.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭SeanPuddin_

Weirdly, I'm actually quite attached to my Garmin so this has made me feel quite sad!

Buy and new battery on ebay and install it yourself if all else fails. If it really means that much to you and you have no other option rip her open! I repaired my Garmin 110, kept it going for another 2 months with 2.5 hours battery life. Used an iPod Shuffle (2nd genertion) 3.7V 200mAH PD3032 battery. Had a few pics in my log but I can't post a link.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭SeanPuddin_

Buy a new battery on ebay and install it yourself if all else fails. If it really means that much to you and you have no other option rip her open! I repaired my Garmin 110, kept it going for another 2 months with 2.5 hours battery life. Used an iPod Shuffle (2nd genertion) 3.7V 200mAH PD3032 battery. Had a few pics in my log but I can't post a link.

• Advertisement

Buy and new battery on ebay and install it yourself if all else fails. If it really means that much to you and you have no other option rip her open! I repaired my Garmin 110, kept it going for another 2 months with 2.5 hours battery life. Used an iPod Shuffle (2nd genertion) 3.7V 200mAH PD3032 battery. Had a few pics in my log but I can't post a link.

Worth a shot if all else fails!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

My Garmin Vivoactive is not syncing with my phone today. I get a red error when it tries to do so but it disappears so quickly that I cannot read it. I think I got a software update in the past 24 hours so I'm wondering is it related to that. Is anyone else having this issue today?

Edit: Just to clarify My watch is receiving data from my phone but my phone is not receiving data from my watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

My Garmin Vivoactive is not syncing with my phone today. I get a red error when it tries to do so but it disappears so quickly that I cannot read it. I think I got a software update in the past 24 hours so I'm wondering is it related to that. Is anyone else having this issue today?

Yes, I tried to upload via Bluetooth a few times today and it wouldn't work. I logged into Garmin connect and got an error. I just plugged watch into laptop and it's synced. Back to running in Kilteel but they've been messing with it today. I didn't update any software for a few days and it worked fine yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Yes, I tried to upload via Bluetooth a few times today and it wouldn't work. I logged into Garmin connect and got an error. I just plugged watch into laptop and it's synced. Back to running in Kilteel but they've been messing with it today. I didn't update any software for a few days and it worked fine yesterday.

I plugged mine into my laptop and got this syncing error:

VS8D2Hq.png

The help page suggested I delete that file from the "Activities" folder on my device. I don't have any folder names that but I do have an "Activity" folder. Unfortunately none of the files in there matched that name or date. I deleted any files in the other folders that had that date but when I try and sync I still get the same error above. Have just emailed customer support but they say it could be 3 working days before they respond.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

I've a forerunner 310xt and I'm wondering if I got a miro USB to regular USB adopter so I could plug my Garmin ant into my android phone or tablet. Is it possible to up load my runs that way or will I still have to keep doing it through my laptop?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I plugged mine into my laptop and got this syncing error:

pic

The help page suggested I delete that file from the "Activities" folder on my device. I don't have any folder names that but I do have an "Activity" folder. Unfortunately none of the files in there matched that name or date. I deleted any files in the other folders that had that date but when I try and sync I still get the same error above. Have just emailed customer support but they say it could be 3 working days before they respond.

Can you delete directly from the device?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Quick question, when you link your Strava and Garmin Connect accounts, should any past history in Garmin be fed into your Strava history, or will it only synch future activities?

Not a user but someone recently posted in random questions I think you've to copy them over.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Quick question, when you link your Strava and Garmin Connect accounts, should any past history in Garmin be fed into your Strava history, or will it only synch future activities?
    Future activities only. But you cna use a service like Tapirik to copy over your older activities.

Cheers lads. I already have Tapirik set up for when I used to move them over, wasn't sure if the new setup between Garmin and Strava would pull the history across for you.

• Advertisement

Just downloaded a pile of events for the first time since before the summer, but I thought they had corrected the Kileel thing? 2 events at the end of September, 1 at Ticknock, is still listed as Kilkeel.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭FIFA2004

Anyone here using the vivoactive? What do you think of it? It's 99sterling on Amazon today, so very tempting. Had been planning on getting a 220 or 225 for Xmas. Do they do mostly the same thing?

Thanks!

FIFA2004 wrote: »
    Anyone here using the vivoactive? What do you think of it? It's 99sterling on Amazon today, so very tempting. Had been planning on getting a 220 or 225 for Xmas. Do they do mostly the same thing?

Thanks!
    Here's a review from DC Rainmaker. It sounds really good, if a little buggy (but that may have been addressed, since its release). The only thing I'd miss would be custom/structured workouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭FIFA2004

Here's a review from DC Rainmaker. It sounds really good, if a little buggy (but that may have been addressed, since its release). The only thing I'd miss would be custom/structured workouts.

Thanks for your help! Torn now, because I really like the look of it and the smart watch features too. But been using custom workouts more recently on mapmyrun, realistically it's a feature I'll probably regret not having in the future. More so than a pretty watch that I can't wear in work anyway! Will probably hold on for a 220/225

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Bez Bing

FIFA2004 wrote: »
    Thanks for your help! Torn now, because I really like the look of it and the smart watch features too. But been using custom workouts more recently on mapmyrun, realistically it's a feature I'll probably regret not having in the future. More so than a pretty watch that I can't wear in work anyway! Will probably hold on for a 220/225
    Garmin just released the 230/235 an update to the 220/225.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Garmin 220 for £99 sterling for the next few hours on amazon.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Just downloaded a pile of events for the first time since before the summer, but I thought they had corrected the Kileel thing? 2 events at the end of September, 1 at Ticknock, is still listed as Kilkeel.

Downloaded another batch, of 4 this time.

Two runs from Wednesday and Thursday of last week are downloaded as Crossmaglen. The exact same routes, from yesterday and today, are listed correctly. I've no idea what the logic here is as to why last weeks are down as Crossmaglen.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭boodiebhoy

My garmin 610 seems to have taken a bit of a battering / wetting over the past few days. Touch screen is working but buttons are not working consistently. Any suggestions?

boodiebhoy wrote: »
    My garmin 610 seems to have taken a bit of a battering / wetting over the past few days. Touch screen is working but buttons are not working consistently. Any suggestions?

I used to put the 110 into a plastic container with rice and leave in hot press overnight as the screen used to fog up. It worked but other than that I don't know.

• Advertisement

I used to put the 110 into a plastic container with rice and leave in hot press overnight as the screen used to fog up. It worked but other than that I don't know.

Yep, that's probably the best bet. Throw in some desiccants if you can. They're the little sachets with 'Do not eat' emblazoned on the front, that everybody throws away as soon as they get them.
    Silica_Gel_Desiccant.jpg

The lids from those Vitamin C tubs would also help, as they also contain desiccants.
    High-Quality-Effervescent-tablets-tubes-with-Desiccant.jpg_200x200.jpg

Advertisement