Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Megathread-Ask your questions here-See post 1 on how to search thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Hi

Can anyone tell me if a Heart rate monitor from a fr110 will work with a 920 watch. I am not really interested in the running dynamics stuff but would like to track the heart rate.

Thanks

I ended up buying the 230. My old HRM from FR110 works fine.
    Can anyone tell me how you know when an activity has synced. Does it give you a message or do you have to just keep checking the Connect app.

Layout in the Connect app isn't great. Not a fan of the Snapshots.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Upload photos to your Garmin watch face:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.garmin.android.apps.picasso

Neat trick and the photo seems surprisingly good on a pretty low resolution screen. Switched back to Actiface straight away though as whilst a picture of the baby on my watch is a neat party trick, I'd prefer my watch face doing something more useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Hi folks, just acquired a forerunner 110 which I'm figuring out at the moment. The one thing I'm a bit baffled at is the average pace function, if there is one. I can only reduce the auto lap to .25 of a mile but is there any way to see what my pace per mile is after a run for every mile I've done?

I can't figure out if its possible or not as different sites say different things and I've followed their instructions and got nowhere.

Thanks in advance, C.

chinguetti wrote: »
    Hi folks, just acquired a forerunner 110 which I'm figuring out at the moment. The one thing I'm a bit baffled at is the average pace function, if there is one. I can only reduce the auto lap to .25 of a mile but is there any way to see what my pace per mile is after a run for every mile I've done?

I can't figure out if its possible or not as different sites say different things and I've followed their instructions and got nowhere.

Thanks in advance, C.

The only way you will see it is on the Garmin Connect app or website after you upload the run. There is no way to see it on the watch as the History only notes distance time and average pace for entire run.

Set your autolap to 1 mile and you will see nice splits on the site afterwards. If you want to see the average pace of each autolap you will need to view the watch as it ends on each lap and displays the pace for 10 secs.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Feeder

I had my Fenix2 and HTC One M8s working perfectly for auto bluetooth sync so I know it works but I had to restore my phone to factory settings and now I cannot get the fenix and the phone to pair fully again.

I have tried all number of combinations of attempts and ways to get it working, mainly using GCM as that is where I keep getting the following error:

:D Authenticated
    :D Connected
    :D Read device identification file
    :mad: Device registration failed. OTHER_FATAL
    :confused: Garmin device disconnected.

Any thoughts or ideas on what I can try to get this sorted ? ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Have you tried deleting the existing bluetooth connection from the watch itself and reconnecting as if it's the first time?

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Feeder

Yes I have disconnected the original connection from both GCM and the phone bluetooth. Also deleted the device from GE too and tried to set it all up from scratch.

The phone connects to fenix2 without issue and GCM also connects to the phone at first when I try and Pair New but it just won't register the device for some reason ? ? ?

Re: workouts created on garmin connect

What do people think of the workouts. I find the layout pretty poor.
    e.g. you do a workout with warm up, run recovery repeats and a cooldown.

You then check the connect app after syncing. The details of the workout don't name the steps as warm up, run, etc. They just are detailed as lap splits.

Also you have to edit the workout name to what you want. I would have thought it would have picked up the name of the workout and you wouldn't have to go renaming.

I find the garmin connect pretty poor to be honest.

I also don't like the way it lists runs as last 7 days, last 12 months. It would be much nicer if you had week details beginning from Monday and the year from January.

Maybe I have overlooked something and need to change it in settings.

I have tried googling but very little info comes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I also don't like the way it lists runs as last 7 days, last 12 months. It would be much nicer if you had week details beginning from Monday and the year from January.

Reports -> Progress Summary

30025135455_67cf92a2ec_b.jpg

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Reports -> Progress Summary

30025135455_67cf92a2ec_b.jpg

That is on the website though. I was hoping I could manage it on the app.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Re: workouts created on garmin connect

What do people think of the workouts. I find the layout pretty poor.
    e.g. you do a workout with warm up, run recovery repeats and a cooldown.

You then check the connect app after syncing. The details of the workout don't name the steps as warm up, run, etc. They just are detailed as lap splits.

Also you have to edit the workout name to what you want. I would have thought it would have picked up the name of the workout and you wouldn't have to go renaming.

I find the garmin connect pretty poor to be honest.

Thing that p1sses me off the most is the workout no longer overrides auto lap on the newer watches! Keep forgetting to turn it off.

neilc wrote: »
    Thing that p1sses me off the most is the workout no longer overrides auto lap on the newer watches! Keep forgetting to turn it off.

Ya that's a new feature with the newer watches.

Apparently a lot of peoole had requested the autolap as they wanted if for longer interval sessions, e.g. 5 miles tempo, 1 mile rest, etc.

Just a shame they don't allow you to set it when you create the workout on the connect site.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,674 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Where's the best place to buy a Garmin?

Looking for a 220, best I can find is on Amazon Marketplace is for £180.

My trusty and beloved 305 is still going ok (but needs to be charged after every use, and looks/feels like a laptop on my wrist) so hoping to treat myself for Christmas :)

Hope someone can help with this.

I was doing intervals recently - 400m with 400m recoveries. At the end of each sprint I was hoping to see the pace I had done, wanting to know if I needed to up it or slow down a bit.

But you can't as the screen shows 'recover for 400m' and by the time it goes off it shows the pace for the recovery section.

Is there any way to view the pace you did? Can you scroll to a different data screen. As far as I know the workout data screens can't be edited.

I know I could look at the screen during the sprint but it is not practical when you are sprinting at a hard pace.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

You can definitely scroll through the screens alright, I do it just to see how quickly my heart rate drops so never took notice if you can see the pace etc for the interval just done, I don't recall seeing it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭CR 7

Does anyone else have temperature related battery issues? My old FR10 barely lasts 2.5-3 hours on a colder morning like this morning. Last Friday I charged it overnight for a Saturday 20 miles and it didn't give a low battery warning until the last mile or two of an 11 mile run a few days later. Charged it the same way last night and low battery warning showed up after about 15 miles this morning. I can probably justify an upgrade at this stage anyway, but if the new watch will do the same, is there any point. It's going perfectly other than this.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    You can definitely scroll through the screens alright, I do it just to see how quickly my heart rate drops so never took notice if you can see the pace etc for the interval just done, I don't recall seeing it anyway.

I think I might have sorted it alright. I just did a pretend workout there to see what screen data fields were available. There seems to be a default workout screen (I have a garmin 230) that lists Step Distance, Time/Distance to next step, and Step Pace. If you scroll you get the other data fields you normally have in a run (except the heart rate ones).

I have one of these set to Last Lap Pace and I think this should give me the pace from the Run part of the workout while I do the Recover section.

CR 7 wrote: »
    Does anyone else have temperature related battery issues? My old FR10 barely lasts 2.5-3 hours on a colder morning like this morning. Last Friday I charged it overnight for a Saturday 20 miles and it didn't give a low battery warning until the last mile or two of an 11 mile run a few days later. Charged it the same way last night and low battery warning showed up after about 15 miles this morning. I can probably justify an upgrade at this stage anyway, but if the new watch will do the same, is there any point. It's going perfectly other than this.

Sounds like it is time for an upgrade.
    The bluetooth uploading with the newer watches is a really great feature, saves having to connect upto the laptop all the time. I bluetooth after each run now. Ensures you will never lose any runs if the watch malfunctions.

Just another quick question and groan about the Garmin Connect site.

Is it possible to separate your run and bike activities into different dashboards? I know you can create your dashboards and pull different sections (workouts, prs, calendar) into them but can you separate out the different activities?

I also asked this in another thread but can you set the watch units to miles for running and kms for the bike. It seems an obvious enough thing for the Garmin to do but I tried it and it seems you can only set them to one global setting that covers all activities which seems a bit strange given that the watch is advertised as a run/bike watch.

Cheers

Just another quick question and groan about the Garmin Connect site.

Is it possible to separate your run and bike activities into different dashboards? I know you can create your dashboards and pull different sections (workouts, prs, calendar) into them but can you separate out the different activities?

I also asked this in another thread but can you set the watch units to miles for running and kms for the bike. It seems an obvious enough thing for the Garmin to do but I tried it and it seems you can only set them to one global setting that covers all activities which seems a bit strange given that the watch is advertised as a run/bike watch.

Cheers

Strava has this automatically.

• Advertisement

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Strava has this automatically.

Is that a premium feature on Strava?

I am finding the Garmin Connect softwate to be really limited. I guess they are getting no premiums for it as people just pay for the devices.

It is a shame though as you could get a lot more out of it.

I'd love to be able to categorise various runs, e.g. all recorded workouts in a section, all races in another. It would make it very easy to find stuff and go back over stats.

Sounds like it is time for an upgrade.
    The bluetooth uploading with the newer watches is a really great feature, saves having to connect upto the laptop all the time. I bluetooth after each run now. Ensures you will never lose any runs if the watch malfunctions.

Really I was just looking for any excuse to upgrade, so I'll take that as you giving me permission.:pac: It's a shame as the old FR10 has never given any other trouble, but at least it'll do fine as a backup to keep in the car.

CR 7 wrote: »
    Really I was just looking for any excuse to upgrade, so I'll take that as you giving me permission.:pac: It's a shame as the old FR10 has never given any other trouble, but at least it'll do fine as a backup to keep in the car.

I know. I had a 110 and it was fine until a wet day and it shut off for good.

The 230 is completely waterproof so don't have to worry about wet racing days.

Is that a premium feature on Strava?

Think so, here's a 60 day free trial, just remember to set a reminder to cancel: http://promo.strava.com/britishcycling/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

I've just done a workout on garmin connect but can't get it to send to my 405cx. Is it just that the watch is too old?

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

Anyone know where to get a Forerunner 225 for a decent price? I'm getting a refund on my current one and would ideally just get the same watch again.

Or is there a better version out now? I don't really want a 235 as I've heard bad things about it's optical HR reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭FIFA2004

Anyone with a garmin forerunner 10? Does it work with the connect app or only when plugged into a computer?

FIFA2004 wrote: »
    Anyone with a garmin forerunner 10? Does it work with the connect app or only when plugged into a computer?

It doesn't have bluetooth connectivity so the only way to get the data off it is to connect to a computer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Anyone know where to get a Forerunner 225 for a decent price? I'm getting a refund on my current one and would ideally just get the same watch again.

Or is there a better version out now? I don't really want a 235 as I've heard bad things about it's optical HR reading.

I've a 225, unfortunately not for sale, but was examining a clubmate's 235, and interestingly it doesn't have the rubber light seal that the 225 has. I wonder is the technology a little different between the two. The 225 uses a Miu HRM, while the 235 has Garmin's own proprietary HRM technology.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

davedanon wrote: »
    I've a 225, unfortunately not for sale, but was examining a clubmate's 235, and interestingly it doesn't have the rubber light seal that the 225 has. I wonder is the technology a little different between the two. The 225 uses a Miu HRM, while the 235 has Garmin's own proprietary HRM technology.
    Possibly, though I'm not sure. All I know is that I've only heard positive things about the 225 HR reading (and experienced only positives myself), whereas the 235 has mixed reviews.

Advertisement