Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Megathread-Ask your questions here-See post 1 on how to search thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

So just noticed what I think is a new option in the Garmin Connect Mobile App for HRV Stress under the Performance Stats section. Don't know when it appeared, but sure it wasn't there before.

Anyway, I can't figure out how to measure this with the 920xt. Anyone got an idea how to enable this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

What's HRV?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Hear Rate Variability I believe. Think it would show you when you are over training or ill once you've been doing it for a while as it would pick up the stress your heart is under when standing still doing nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Hi, I was looking about getting a basic garmin for my child (12y/o). His coach in the athletics club has suggested it. I'm not particularly enamoured about him using a watch for running as I don't want him to be too focused on time and trying to beat the watch every time but it may be useful for him to pace himself and for training doing lap splits or outdoor running where you're not sure how far you've covered.

So I've eyed up a few second hand one's on ebay:
    Forerunner 110
    forerunner 410
    FR60

Any feedback on the above?

I've a forerunner 10 myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,390 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

robinph wrote: »
    So just noticed what I think is a new option in the Garmin Connect Mobile App for HRV Stress under the Performance Stats section. Don't know when it appeared, but sure it wasn't there before.

Anyway, I can't figure out how to measure this with the 920xt. Anyone got an idea how to enable this?

Click the big button which says add to dashboard.
    FWIW i think this is only supported on the Vivosmart 3 but is coming to the Fenix 5 and 935 later on.
    Certainly it just tells me that my 235 is unsupported when i add it to my dashboard.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

.. And the app updated overnight and the HRV option has now disappeared as I have too old a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

opus wrote: »
    Forerunner 35 if it's a garmin watch you're after I guess.

Just looking into this watch myself - watching the review on the link you posted - does he say you can't sync this to a PC, only a smartphone?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Is there a feature on or an app I can use with Connect that will track my pace v HR zone?

Only getting back after an injury and I'm going into threshold a lot earlier and at a slower pace than I would have before. Expected obv but I'm looking to say input a group of similar workouts and be able to see the rate of improvement.

Possible?

Hi all - have searched the thread via Google as per instructions on post #1 and have spent a bit of time going though Garmin Connect too and can't seem to find the answer to this - maybe because it's so frikkin obvious ...

Can I pair my device to my PC and my smartphone? Would like to pair to smartphone for music capabilities but other than that I like having the stats on my laptop.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Hi all - have searched the thread via Google as per instructions on post #1 and have spent a bit of time going though Garmin Connect too and can't seem to find the answer to this - maybe because it's so frikkin obvious ...

Can I pair my device to my PC and my smartphone? Would like to pair to smartphone for music capabilities but other than that I like having the stats on my laptop.

Thanks

Garmin connect has an online version which is independent to uploading via Bluetooth to your smart phone and this will store all your historical data with a reasonably nice interface.
    Some of the watches allow you to upload directly to GC via a desktop app called Garmin Express, but this depends on the watch having a feature that allows the data to be read via a data cable.

• Advertisement

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Garmin connect has an online version which is independent to uploading via Bluetooth to your smart phone and this will store all your historical data with a reasonably nice interface.
    Some of the watches allow you to upload directly to GC via a desktop app called Garmin Express, but this depends on the watch having a feature that allows the data to be read via a data cable.

Thanks. I have a FR35. I have the desktop app and that is what I am currently using. Can I also pair with my smartphone and keep the info on Garmin Express? Or will I lose everything on one by pairing with the other? I guess I will try it anyway and see if it works

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Thanks. I have a FR35. I have the desktop app and that is what I am currently using. Can I also pair with my smartphone and keep the info on Garmin Express? Or will I lose everything on one by pairing with the other? I guess I will try it anyway and see if it works

I have mine across multiple devices (PC, windows tablet, windows phone, android tablet, android phone, ipod).
    The all sync, not quite a universal UI, but that's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

I've just uploaded some runs and a spinning session on connect but when they've synced across to strava they're completely different! Dates, times, paces, distances are all over the place! Also the spinning hasn't synced across at all. Has anyone else had similar issues lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,674 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Just wondering if anyone has had any measure of success using the 'Indoor - Run' option??

Recently got a Garmin 230 and was looking forward to being able to track my threadmill runs but finding the variances are fairly significant....would estimate that it's losing about 100m per KM which is annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,998 ✭✭✭opus

I've an old 620 which claims to be able to track treadmill runs by itself as well but tbh it was cr*p, footpod is your only man.

On an unrelated topic, the wrist strap on the watch was falling apart on me so picked up a replacement on ebay for < €4, I feel like I've a new watch now :)

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone has had any measure of success using the 'Indoor - Run' option??

Recently got a Garmin 230 and was looking forward to being able to track my threadmill runs but finding the variances are fairly significant....would estimate that it's losing about 100m per KM which is annoying.

Could be the treadmill calibration also.

What I've found to be very accurate is:

1. Wear Footpod - wear it outside a few times so it calibrates
    2. Wear Run HRM
    I find using both distance on the treadmill versus watch match within meters, only using one or the other reduces the accuracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Omeceron

Ive upgraded from a 610 to a Fenix 3.

As soon as I get to some tree coverage it seems to lose me. The GPS lock stays on but it doesn't record the same distance as the 610 used to and it says my pace has dropped significantly.

For a 5km run it recorded 4.7km compared to the 610.

Are there any settings I can check to boost the GPS? I have turned on the GLONASS but it hasnt made a difference. Data recording is every second.

Thanks

Omeceron wrote: »
    Ive upgraded from a 610 to a Fenix 3.

As soon as I get to some tree coverage it seems to lose me. The GPS lock stays on but it doesn't record the same distance as the 610 used to and it says my pace has dropped significantly.

For a 5km run it recorded 4.7km compared to the 610.

Are there any settings I can check to boost the GPS? I have turned on the GLONASS but it hasnt made a difference. Data recording is every second.

Thanks

FWIW this site agrees with your experience - the Fenix 3 GPS isn't as accurate as the 610 - http://fellrnr.com/wiki/GPS_Accuracy
    According to that website, interestingly it finds the milestone pod as being very accurate but i find it terrible, so maybe there is large quality variances from one unit to another??

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Updated my 235 to v.7.3 the other day and am now having issues. It went blank yesterday and turned itself off, when I switched it back on the time was wrong. Reset it (the time) and a couple of hours later it had jumped to the wrong time again, out by a few hours. Noticed gps dropped while out this morning too which has never happened before.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Is there a way to go back to previous version?

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

I see here there are issues
    https://forums.garmin.com/archive/index.php/t-375983.html

I'm delaying update until I see it works

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,392 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Not sure if this is the right place to ask. Trying to get Garmin to talk to Strava and vice versa. No joy. I uploaded an activity manually, i.e. the .tcx file.

In the section 'Upload and Sync Your Activities', I have Connected with Garmin selected, but nothing happens when it comes to syncing past activities. I'm resting this week, but surely it should pull some stuff in.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

Im not sure it syncs past activity. I uploaded a few manually

Not sure if this is the right place to ask. Trying to get Garmin to talk to Strava and vice versa. No joy. I uploaded an activity manually, i.e. the .tcx file.

In the section 'Upload and Sync Your Activities', I have Connected with Garmin selected, but nothing happens when it comes to syncing past activities. I'm resting this week, but surely it should pull some stuff in.

Use Tapiriik to connect Strava and Garmin Connect, this will sync your historical data.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I second Tapiriik, I used to use it before there was any sort of automatic syncing between the two.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,392 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Thanks both. It's been ticking along for the last 30 minutes or so. Nothing in Strava yet.

After clicking synchronize now it says Strava Connected. Garmin Connected, but sometimes Garmin Paused, then it sometimes drops off and I've to re-enter my password.

From what I can remember it can take quite a while to work away in the background.

From what I recollect it only syncs after the initial first run post link - and then back dates 30 days or so, manual upload won't do it.
    I know you are resting this week, but why not do a short 100 or 200 meter shuffle down the road and back and see if that kicks things off?

When I originally sync'd it back dated about 5 years of activities - can't remember how long it took

Stuff is starting to come back to me. When doing a large synch of a load of previous activities there's some sort of queue that it goes on. If you have a lot of activities, you might be waiting a few hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,870 ✭✭✭deisedude

Is there anything you need to do to setup the heart rate monitor correctly in the Forerunner 235?

I used it for the first time last night on a handy 8 miler and my avg. heart rate was 160bpm. That seems very high considering i was taking it handy but as never had heart rate data on my old watch i've nothing to go off.

Advertisement