Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Megathread-Ask your questions here-See post 1 on how to search thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭gucci

Kellygirl wrote: »
    I got the refurb and it looked brand new. You would not know it was a refurb - if it was.

Thanks for the endorsement, tbh I am leaning towards the refurb, don't really have the £100 spare at the moment, so will take the refurb even if I just get 12 months out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coffee Fulled Runner

My Garmin 620 seems to be frozen up. Just the garmin logo is displayed and won't turn off either. I tried a master reset but nothing happened. Not sure what to do, if anyone can help or advise.

Edit: I managed to switch it off but when I start it up this frozen with just the garmin logo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

My Garmin 620 seems to be frozen up. Just the garmin logo is displayed and won't turn off either. I tried a master reset but nothing happened. Not sure what to do, if anyone can help or advise.

Edit: I managed to switch it off but when I start it up this frozen with just the garmin logo

I think something similar happened to Ariana’s watch recently and she fixed it by plugging it into her laptop. Have you tried that?

Yes thanks but no joy. I've a old 910xt that should keep me going for a while. I'll spend some time on Google tomorrow and see what I can find.

I left it on trickle charge in my laptop overnight. Tried to turn it off the next morning managed to do it by holding the off button for 15 to 20 seconds. Then preformed the master reset. I had to input my information again and leave it outside for 5 minutes to get time correct of the satellites. Its OK again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭ariana`

Question re. using workouts on my garmin 235. I set up 5 x 6 min intervals at the weekend.

However in the workout breakdown because i went over 1km in the 6 mins, the reading is split, so for example a 6 min interval appeared like this

Time|Distance|Pace
    5:13.06| 1.00km| 5:14min/km
    0:46:04| .15km| 5:13min/km

Whereas i expected to see

6:00:00| 1.15km| 5:14 min/km

It wasn't so bad in the example above for but another interval, like this one, I'd need a calculator to get the average pace for the 6 minutes.

Time|Distance|Pace
    5:15.00| 1.00km| 5:15min/km
    0:45:00| .15km| 5:09min/km

Any idea how to over-ride the default lap setting when using workouts?

ariana` wrote: »
    Question re. using workouts on my garmin 235. I set up 5 x 6 min intervals at the weekend.

However in the workout breakdown because i went over 1km in the 6 mins, the reading is split, so for example a 6 min interval appeared like this

Time|Distance|Pace
    5:13.06| 1.00km| 5:14min/km
    0:46:04| .15km| 5:13min/km

Whereas i expected to see

6:00:00| 1.15km| 5:14 min/km

It wasn't so bad in the example above for but another interval, like this one, I'd need a calculator to get the average pace for the 6 minutes.

Time|Distance|Pace
    5:15.00| 1.00km| 5:15min/km
    0:45:00| .15km| 5:09min/km

Any idea how to over-ride the default lap setting when using workouts?

What about turning the auto lap off? Wonder how the splits would look then?

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

I had same issue doing 1600m intervals and had autolap turned off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Have you the intervals set up as repeats?

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Have you the intervals set up as repeats?

Yeah i think so if i understand the question correctly, it looks like this on the Phone App

Warm Up
    10:00

Repeat 5 Times
    Run 6:00
    Recover 2:00

Cool Down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

ariana` wrote: »
    Yeah i think so if i understand the question correctly, it looks like this on the Phone App

Warm Up

Repeat 5 Times
    Run 6:00
    Recover 2:00

Cool Down

Yep, sorry. I didn't know if there was an interval function for newer watches. I've a 220. I've autolap turned on on my watch but when I set up workouts like you have, it would give me the length of each repeat, rather than only 1km. Weird, we set them up the same and get different results. Sorry not to be of more help.

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Yep, sorry. I didn't know if there was an interval function for newer watches. I've a 220. I've autolap turned on on my watch but when I set up workouts like you have, it would give me the length of each repeat, rather than only 1km. Weird, we set them up the same and get different results. Sorry not to be of more help.

This is what i expected. I assumed the interval/repeat would over ride the default lap setting. I'll try turning auto lap off but it sounds from the Down South's post that it still won't work the way i expect. Very disappointing :(

Thanks for your help anyhow.

I got the refurb and it looked brand new. You would not know it was a refurb - if it was.
    gucci wrote: »
    I have been offered a replacement (refurbed) item at £62. hmmmmmm not sure whether to take it or get a replacement at around about £100 (FR35 seems adequate for what I need)

Fairly frustrating that something that has been so reliable for 2 years plus could just fail, but I guess that's electronics! :rolleyes:
    Contact Garmin. They are slightly lazy about troubleshooting but quite likely to replace it at a lower cost.

Just an update regarding the refurbs, I have received my refurb 220 now.

It did take a bit longer than I would have liked to organise, they said they had a backlog at the moment (hmmmm I wonder if a dodgy software update might have culled a load of watches?)

But I sent item in post on Friday, and received replacement item yesterday (Wednesday) via UPS, so very happy with the turn around time.

Just an update regarding the refurbs, I have received my refurb 220 now.

It did take a bit longer than I would have liked to organise, they said they had a backlog at the moment (hmmmm I wonder if a dodgy software update might have culled a load of watches?)

But I sent item in post on Friday, and received replacement item yesterday (Wednesday) via UPS, so very happy with the turn around time.

Delighted to hear. The service is quite good really once they get moving.

I’m busy getting electronics replaced at the moment! First my watch and the battery on my iPhone went and Apple replaced that yesterday. Was glad I contacted Apple as they replaced it for €30 whereas people were telling me i’d Need to get a new phone as the batteries just go after two years. I also spoke to them about the iPad as the battery has started going bad in that too and they would replace the whole unit for €160 - that’s about 3 years old. So I feel like I have a new Garmin, a new phone and thinking about the iPad now! :D

What is it they say about things coming in 3s?

I was under pressure to get the watch back and sorted for London for Sunday. Hopefully it manages to work for them few hours anyway, probably wont need it for months after while I recover :-)

What is it they say about things coming in 3s?

I was under pressure to get the watch back and sorted for London for Sunday. Hopefully it manages to work for them few hours anyway, probably wont need it for months after while I recover :-)

Best of luck in London. Enjoy it. I’d love to gotten in.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭conti

After 2 years of tracking my runs in MapMyRun I have finally splashed out on a Garmin. MMR was fine but not seeing stats when I wanted and lack of proper workout customisation wasn't cutting it anymore.

I did my first run with my vivoactive 3 this morning and I loved being able to see my stats whenever I wanted – now I know how pacers do it. But one thing was off; my heart rate was way too low, and btw I'm still using my Wahoo TICKR X chest HRM which I've always found to be super accurate. It was staying down in the 120/130 range which I would only ever see for the first km of a very easy run, eventually it raised up seemed to match my effort, but only briefly, it would then drop back down, and sometimes rise again, leaving the final overall reading completely wrong, it was about avg 20bpm below and my HR distribution graph showed that I spent most of my run in the lowest zone.

I did notice after my run that my software was on v2.90 and I have since updated to 3.50 but I don't see anything in the changelog that addressed it.

My own guess is that I still had my phone on my that was bluetooth connected to my earphones, maybe the strap was trying to connect with the phone and that caused some interference?

Anyone had a similar issue? I do a lot of HR training so this is a significant one for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭conti

Took it for my second run, this time updated to 3.50. Improved a lot but was still useless for first 2km. Didn't budge from a very low reading, then once it did work it was fine. Still not perfect but usable.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Trojan00

My wife is looking to upgrade from FR10 and has narrowed down her choice to 235 or 35. She will use it for running and plans to run the Dublin City Marathon this year.

She can't see too much difference between the 2 but there is a price difference of €50-€100. She is leaning towards the 35 due to the size and its look but was looking for any guidance as she doesn't want to buy one and regret it afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Trojan00 wrote: »
    My wife is looking to upgrade from FR10 and has narrowed down her choice to 235 or 35. She will use it for running and plans to run the Dublin City Marathon this year.

She can't see too much difference between the 2 but there is a price difference of €50-€100. She is leaning towards the 35 due to the size and its look but was looking for any guidance as she doesn't want to buy one and regret it afterwards.

Is the main difference not that the 235 has an inbuilt HR monitor and not a chest strap?

I bought the 220 with the chest HR strap and mostly regretting not getting the upgrade then to have the 225 with the HR wrist based.

Check out reviews on DC rainmaker. He's excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Has anyone used Garmin pay in Ireland yet? Is it accepted wherever there is contactless?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,392 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I ran tonight and now it's not showing up in Garmin Connect. I synced via Bluetooth and USB, it shows the steps, but not the run. If I manually go into the buttons and History folder it's there alright...not translating across no matter how many times I try. Frustrating as it was a tempo run and I wanted to get a sense of the breakdown.

Edit - tried to upload the .fit file. Garmin Connect wouldn't accept it. "One of your files was not accepted by the system. Please contact Support for assistance." Pulled it from the watch and ran a repair tool on it. Job done! :) Tool here - http://garmin.kiesewetter.nl

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Has anyone used Garmin pay in Ireland yet? Is it accepted wherever there is contactless?

Haven't used, but limited currently to these cards
    KBC: MASTERCARD
    boon. by Wirecard: MASTERCARD

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

I ran tonight and now it's not showing up in Garmin Connect. I synced via Bluetooth and USB, it shows the steps, but not the run. If I manually go into the buttons and History folder it's there alright...not translating across no matter how many times I try. Frustrating as it was a tempo run and I wanted to get a sense of the breakdown.

Edit - tried to upload the .fit file. Garmin Connect wouldn't accept it. "One of your files was not accepted by the system. Please contact Support for assistance." Pulled it from the watch and ran a repair tool on it. Job done! :) Tool here - http://garmin.kiesewetter.nl

I had the same thing. I was on the phone to them about another issue (Last run widget not updating, zero miles for the week, no summary data after run) and had to restore to default and log an activity. Fixed the initial issue then wouldn't sync to GC. I've been onto them by phone twice over the last 2 weeks after 23 and 9 minute waits (great once you get on though) and by email. I can't be arsed contacting again. It was just an easy run so not biggie. But I'll record another activity later and hopefully it will sort itself. For reference I have a FR645

So annoying!

Is it just me or when you are using Garmin connect and setting up a workout and then adding a repeat is there a knack to inserting run and recovery? It says you drag and drop but it either then goes above/below or somewhere completely different?

V annoying.

aquinn wrote: »
    So annoying!

Is it just me or when you are using Garmin connect and setting up a workout and then adding a repeat is there a knack to inserting run and recovery? It says you drag and drop but it either then goes above/below or somewhere completely different?

V annoying.

I don’t have those issues and can drag and drop easily. Maybe just your phone?

I don’t have those issues and can drag and drop easily. Maybe just your phone?

I was doing it on the desktop. I realised after a line does appear but it still doesn't guarantee where it will sit in the workout.

I was doing it on the desktop. I realised after a line does appear but it still doesn't guarantee where it will sit in the workout.

Ah I’ve never tried it like that. Always just do it on my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

So annoying!

V annoying.

Yeah its a little finicky. You need to drag just above the bottom of the box until the grey line appears above it in the repeat box, then let go.

An easier way is to start from scratch, its just as quick as the fiddling. "Add Step" for your warm up then "Add Repeat" which automatically add a run step and recovery step that you can edit. Then you just need to click + or - for the number of repeats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭RunDMC

I've used Garmin Pay with a KBC account, it work fine, no problem.

R

Advertisement