Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Megathread-Ask your questions here-See post 1 on how to search thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

Like others here recently my Forerunner 220 was acting up.

Worked perfectly until last night when I noticed the light wasn't working.
    Then discovered none of the buttons were working.

Have just installed the latest firmware but now it's frozen on the Garmin screen.

I did the following & now it seems to be ok again
    1. Power off watch (press and hold Light, Yes on prompt)†
    2. Press and hold Start/Stop and Lap/Reset
    3. Press and hold Light (three buttons should now be pressed in)
    4. After first beep, release Start/Stop
    5. After second beep, release Lap/Reset
    6. Release Light

Thought it might be handy for others coming to this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭space2ground1

Hi all, can anyone tell me if there’s an easy way to access route functionality on Garmin Connect? I’ve a 735xt and I want to be able to compare runs on the same route from time to time.

If not possible, what’s the best app to feed the garmin data to so I can see that easily?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭cullenswood

frash wrote: »
    Like others here recently my Forerunner 220 was acting up.

Worked perfectly until last night when I noticed the light wasn't working.
    Then discovered none of the buttons were working.

Have just installed the latest firmware but now it's frozen on the Garmin screen.

I did the following & now it seems to be ok again
    1. Power off watch (press and hold Light, Yes on prompt)†
    2. Press and hold Start/Stop and Lap/Reset
    3. Press and hold Light (three buttons should now be pressed in)
    4. After first beep, release Start/Stop
    5. After second beep, release Lap/Reset
    6. Release Light

Thought it might be handy for others coming to this thread

Tried this due to the syncing problem that occurred after the latest Garmin Connect update on my 220. Didn't know it would wipe all my runs!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,392 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I had the same thing. I was on the phone to them about another issue (Last run widget not updating, zero miles for the week, no summary data after run) and had to restore to default and log an activity. Fixed the initial issue then wouldn't sync to GC. I've been onto them by phone twice over the last 2 weeks after 23 and 9 minute waits (great once you get on though) and by email. I can't be arsed contacting again. It was just an easy run so not biggie. But I'll record another activity later and hopefully it will sort itself. For reference I have a FR645

I've heard nothing back from them via email (July 16th) which isn't great. Haven't had any issues since that evening, fortunately. Is there a cost to the customer service by phone, other than the call? Still wonder if I need to do a periodic wipe of the device to avoid corruption, just in case. Haven't experienced glitches on my old 305 and its memory lasts ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Goose76

Ladies, I’m curious for your opinions on Garmins and how to dress them up etc.

I’m slowly being convinced to move away from Fitbit and ready to splash out on a Garmin (probably FR 235 or 645M). But the design of most Garmins are seriously holding me back. I’m not usually that looks conscious and I’m not a girly girl but if I’m paying 300-450 euro for an accessory I’d like to be able to confidently wear it to most occasions and around the office without feeling or looking silly. That was one of the main benefits of the Fitbit for me – apart from an office Xmas party and a wedding, I’ve been able to confidently and comfortably wear it to literally every occasion since I’ve gotten it.

So I’m curious to see how ladies get around this issue as I can’t be the only one with these concerns!

Are the third party straps (esp leather straps) for Garmins reliable? Is it acceptable to go into a shop and try on some Garmins to see how they look or would I be laughed out of the place?

Any tips or advice appreciated and apologies if this post comes across as completely shallow:o:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Goose76 wrote: »

I’m slowly being convinced to move away from Fitbit and ready to splash out on a Garmin (probably FR 235 or 645M). But the design of most Garmins are seriously holding me back. I’m not usually that looks conscious and I’m not a girly girl but if I’m paying 300-450 euro for an accessory I’d like to be able to confidently wear it to most occasions and around the office without feeling or looking silly. That was one of the main benefits of the Fitbit for me – apart from an office Xmas party and a wedding, I’ve been able to confidently and comfortably wear it to literally every occasion since I’ve gotten it.

So I’m curious to see how ladies get around this issue as I can’t be the only one with these concerns!

Are the third party straps (esp leather straps) for Garmins reliable? Is it acceptable to go into a shop and try on some Garmins to see how they look or would I be laughed out of the place?

Any tips or advice appreciated and apologies if this post comes across as completely shallow:o:o

645 uses the quick release bands, search on Amazon for plenty of options.
    Mrs Beeps uses a Milanese stainless steel strap if she is heading out, similar to this
    Less than a minute to swap out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

I went from Fitbit to Garmin Fenix. I bought replacement straps for the Garmin but as the watch surround has black when you change the bands even to blue it looks ridiculous so I stuck to the black.

As beep said plently of replacement straps and what I bought off Amazon was good quality. Got a screen protector too.

I bought a 'leather' Fitbit strap and it was absolutely desperate quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭ariana`

I have the 235 and wear it around the office no problem but I'm not in a job where i need to get very dressed up, smart casual i think is the term for it! We have a lot of runners & triathletes floating around, mostly blokes, so I see lots of similar devices and i don't feel self conscious wearing it.

I don't really go to the pub very often but on the rare occasion if i'm wearing long sleeves i leave it on and if not i take it off. It doesn't bother me, i'm more concerned with having a decent watch that does everything i need it to day to day than the rare occasion i have to dress up.

I think the Garmin Vivoactive range are a bit smarter looking though if you want to investigate those.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Yes, I was going to suggest the Garmin Vivoactive 3. That looks quite nice. I have the Fenix 5s in White and wear it all the time. Deliberately chose it because of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Arsenium

Hey everyone,

My Forerunner 220 has stopped syncing...AGAIN ! I can connect it via bluetoth fine but no sync happens. I have unpaired it and re-paired it etc but still nothing. This has happened in the last week or so as it definitely synced last Weds evening.

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Goose76

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Yes, I was going to suggest the Garmin Vivoactive 3. That looks quite nice. I have the Fenix 5s in White and wear it all the time. Deliberately chose it because of that.

Thanks so much to all above! I somehow thought that all the Vivoactives were non GPS but I was clearly mistaken. The Vivoactive 3 looks great and reviews are good and it's way cheaper than the 645M. Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Arsenium wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

My Forerunner 220 has stopped syncing...AGAIN ! I can connect it via bluetoth fine but no sync happens. I have unpaired it and re-paired it etc but still nothing. This has happened in the last week or so as it definitely synced last Weds evening.

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot.

If you are using Android, there should be a new app update from today that should fix the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Arsenium

Thanks a million. I just forced it to update and it now syncs perfectly. Fair play !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Anyone having issues with syncing runs from Garmin connect to strava?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Not today, took about 4 hours Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

juke wrote: »

I was the same Sunday, today's run hasn't synced yet.

juke wrote: »
    I was the same Sunday, today's run hasn't synced yet.

Yes, happened last night and on Sunday.

If you google Strava updates it'll advise of a fault.

They'll eventually transfer over.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

yes, twice in the last week.

If you go into Strava, Settings, Social Connections, disconnect from Garmin , then reconnect, that should fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Hi

I am wondering has Garmin Connect got any better at laying out your created workouts.
    I find the layout to be really poor after uploading a workout.

The workout name isn't included even though it is named on the watch/connect site. It doesn't put the warm up and cool down into separate sections or label recoveries. It just gives a bland layout of lap repeats.

Is there not something better at this stage. A small bit of colour difference between warm up, cool down and recoveries would make such a difference.

Thanks

Hi

I am wondering has Garmin Connect got any better at laying out your created workouts.
    I find the layout to be really poor after uploading a workout.

The workout name isn't included even though it is named on the watch/connect site. It doesn't put the warm up and cool down into separate sections or label recoveries. It just gives a bland layout of lap repeats.

Is there not something better at this stage. A small bit of colour difference between warm up, cool down and recoveries would make such a difference.

Thanks

Oh, you mean when you finish and workout and upload to the watch you can see the splits but it just looks like any other run? Try Strava premium, that'll do this. So if you run 5*3 minutes at X pace it'll have you hitting your different zones when you view overall run so it will show faster and recoveries as seperate zones and splits.

• Advertisement

Thanks but I have no real interest in using another platform like Strava. I just thought it is a pretty basic thing for Garmin to get right.

To give a simple example you want to search previous workouts but the search will just bring up Dublin Running or whatever. One should be able to search without having to edit the workout to the interval name first.

Thanks but I have no real interest in using another platform like Strava. I just thought it is a pretty basic thing for Garmin to get right.

To give a simple example you want to search previous workouts but the search will just bring up Dublin Running or whatever. One should be able to search without having to edit the workout to the interval name first.

I think the only options you potentially have are either use the event type drop down when saving, so you could classify workouts as training for example or fitness, you can then search by event type. Or you can star it as a favorite.

There's no way around the title, just the discipline of naming your workouts as you go.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    I think the only options you potentially have are either use the event type drop down when saving, so you could classify workouts as training for example or fitness, you can then search by event type. Or you can star it as a favorite.

There's no way around the title, just the discipline of naming your workouts as you go.

Cheers
    Out of interest where is the search button on the app?

Cheers
    Out of interest where is the search button on the app?

Not sure there is, I would use the web portal for that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,392 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

18 miles this morning (with 2 x 3 mi at MP). Knew there was a problem when it didn't produce a summary. I could scroll and see the paces, but it was dashes for the main thing. Only synced steps, repair tool doesn't work, uploading the .fit file won't work as it's already up. Now I can't see the paces at all and it says I've no run history for today, grrr. I know they were on target, but still wanted to look at them. The Activity folder is empty as it pretty much every folder apart from Monitor and I'm not sure if its .fit file is even the right one. Not sure why it has lost the rest of the week's stuff too. Was fully charged before I went out.

Technology.

Getting close to the complete watch

DjDuahqW4AsQngb.jpg
    DophziRX4AA2bcw.jpg

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Hi
    I got the Vivoactive 3 there through work, it was replacing a forerunner 305 brick I had for years.
    While its great the 4 field display during running, the dodgy swim measurements it just doesn't seem to cover the features the 305 had, especially for running like seeing current pace (min per km) and average pace without having to slip screens.
    I've had a few issues with GPS running around Galway, it still is correct on the measurement, but the route isn't appearing.

So I was wondering if the Fenix 5/5S would be a better alternative?? I've tried to figure out if its much bigger or at least gives better measurements and more screen fields.

Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

yop wrote: »
    Hi
    I got the Vivoactive 3 there through work, it was replacing a forerunner 305 brick I had for years.
    While its great the 4 field display during running, the dodgy swim measurements it just doesn't seem to cover the features the 305 had, especially for running like seeing current pace (min per km) and average pace without having to slip screens.
    I've had a few issues with GPS running around Galway, it still is correct on the measurement, but the route isn't appearing.

So I was wondering if the Fenix 5/5S would be a better alternative?? I've tried to figure out if its much bigger or at least gives better measurements and more screen fields.

Thoughts?

I have the Fenix 5s and a friend has the Vivoactive 3. On first glance they look identical. Mine is a bit thicker but not too obviously. The Fenix 5s has way more data / features / screens on it - no doubt about it. It’s a fab watch.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Crazy as it seems, I’ve upgraded my Apple Watch to the 4 and going to try it as a running and swim watch. In theory it replaces old Apple Watch (daily smart Watch/activity), Fenix and fenix 3 (pool swims/walks/bike), and 230 (runs). Looks to be missing obviously quite a bit from the garmins, but little enough that I’d actually make great use of. Don’t really have time anymore to look at anything in detail. Just want to capture time exercise, how far and how fast really, Apple Watch is great for everything else, so always have it, be great if it works ok for the rest..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Shoco83

Did anyone ever have any issues with the strap of the forerunner 30/35 falling off? Mine came off yesterday, looks like a poor design. The 2 small holes in the strap appear to have stretched bigger than the screws that go through them so there is nothing to hold them in place. Watch is only 5 months old

Advertisement