Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Megathread-Ask your questions here-See post 1 on how to search thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

copacetic wrote: »
    Crazy as it seems, I’ve upgraded my Apple Watch to the 4 and going to try it as a running and swim watch. In theory it replaces old Apple Watch (daily smart Watch/activity), Fenix and fenix 3 (pool swims/walks/bike), and 230 (runs). Looks to be missing obviously quite a bit from the garmins, but little enough that I’d actually make great use of. Don’t really have time anymore to look at anything in detail. Just want to capture time exercise, how far and how fast really, Apple Watch is great for everything else, so always have it, be great if it works ok for the rest..

I’m kind of thinking the same thing. I pretty much only wear my fenix 3 for 3 5ks a week and don’t do anything with the stats. I’m considering the 5 plus for the music options to save bringing my phone to the gym but I’m also considering the Apple Watch as an alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭digiman

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Getting close to the complete watch

DjDuahqW4AsQngb.jpg
    DophziRX4AA2bcw.jpg

How do you find this watch, especially the one you bought, is the titanium worth it do you think?

I've been following the Garmin forums and alot of people complaining about battery life being really bad and many other less annoying bugs which has really put me of from purchasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

digiman wrote: »
    How do you find this watch, especially the one you bought, is the titanium worth it do you think?

I've been following the Garmin forums and alot of people complaining about battery life being really bad and many other less annoying bugs which has really put me of from purchasing.

You'll always get a few foibles with Garmin when they release a new product.
    Battery performance has gone up and down, had really improved in the last beta update, but has gone backward a bit since 5.1, probably wifi to accommodate Spotify (had a similar issue with the 645), must try switching off and only using when I need to update my playlists.
    Having said that it's not really bad, just not as reported, I can go a week between charges with an hour on average activity per day.

Most features work as expected, GPS is rock solid, wrist-based hr can be a bit random, but I've got the hrm run strap if needed.

I picked up the Ti as it's that little bit lighter, I had the sapphire with standard bezel and sent that back, I felt it was noticeably heavier.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭RunDMC

Bear in mind that the Garmin forums are not a true representation of everyone's experience, you don't hear from the thousands of people who have no issues at all. Having said that, I have had a few problems with the fenix 5 Plus that I got, largely relates to Running Dynamics, WiFi connectivity, ANT+ sensor connectivity and Bluetooth headset stability. These have turned out to be known bugs with the software, many of which are now fixed. In the last three months, they've release about a dozen software updates, so they are continuing to work on it.I get about one week out of mine with a full battery, but there have been some complaints about battery life, and the also with the battery gauge which may be less than accurate. It seems to jump from 90% to 100% when charging and then it jumps back down during usage.

Having said all that, I really like mine; GPS is fast and stable, the music is useful if I don't want to carry my phone, and I love Garmin Pay much more than I thought I would.

R

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Anywhere in Dublin replace the strap for a 620?

The blue part of mine is falling out over time and prefer not for it to snap at the worse time.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,998 ✭✭✭opus

SeeMoreBut wrote: »
    Anywhere in Dublin replace the strap for a 620?

The blue part of mine is falling out over time and prefer not for it to snap at the worse time.

Thanks

I bought a few via Gearbest before, might have been these, dead easy to fit yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Klopp

I'm know some brands don't get involved but does anyone know if one might get a Garmin Fenix 5x cheaper Black Friday before i pull the trigger?

Klopp wrote: »
    I'm know some brands don't get involved but does anyone know if one might get a Garmin Fenix 5x cheaper Black Friday before i pull the trigger?

Worth holding out and setting up price alerts, price has been stable in and around £490 - 500 (there is one on Amazon @ £475) the last 6 weeks, but has dipped to £399 - 410 in the last 4 months, it's a candidate for 15-20% imo, especially with the plus series up and running.

Worth holding out and setting up price alerts, price has been stable in and around £490 - 500 (there is one on Amazon @ £475) the last 6 weeks, but has dipped to £399 - 410 in the last 4 months, it's a candidate for 15-20% imo, especially with the plus series up and running.

Great idea setting up price alerts, something i hadn't thought about previous. I have waited this long, another three weeks should be easy. Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭jfh

Any new garmin model due?, need to upgrade from 405 but hesitant to do so until start of 2019

• Advertisement

jfh wrote: »
    Any new garmin model due?, need to upgrade from 405 but hesitant to do so until start of 2019

Maybe a new version of the 935 with music would be my guess. There was rumour of a 245 but seems they've dropped that line & just released a 645.

so the garmin 645 is probably the best i can get for running? don't need any swimming/cycling capabilities.

Well have a good read of DCR's review first to make sure it's what you want I guess.

The cheapest option I found was £315 via Clever Training using his 10% off code.

opus wrote: »
    Well have a good read of DCR's review first to make sure it's what you want I guess.

The cheapest option I found was £315 via Clever Training using his 10% off code.

thanks for the reply, had actually read that earlier, it's 280 on sports direct, that's the version without the music. i'll hang on until the end of the month, see if anything appears on black friday

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭seanaway

HI.
    I popped in here because I have had an issue with the band breaking on the Vivosmart 3. Called garmin and the say they'll send a refurbished model out to replace. The unit is only 10 months old. I'm a Garmin fan but this has put me off. I would be ok if the unit was out of warranty but to send a second hand piece out to replace a unit is shoddy.
    Just wondering if anyone else has had an issue with Vivosmart bands breaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

seanaway wrote: »
    HI.
    I popped in here because I have had an issue with the band breaking on the Vivosmart 3. Called garmin and the say they'll send a refurbished model out to replace. The unit is only 10 months old. I'm a Garmin fan but this has put me off. I would be ok if the unit was out of warranty but to send a second hand piece out to replace a unit is shoddy.
    Just wondering if anyone else has had an issue with Vivosmart bands breaking.

I don’t have the vivosmart but i’d issues with my Fenix and Garmin replaced it with a refurbished one that to be honest looked like it was brand new. I certainly wouldn’t have known it was refurbished - if it was. I had the same problem again a few months later and at that point I actually got a refund from Garmin as still under warrantee and bought the same watch locally then so if any issues I can go into the shop or contact Garmin again if needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭morceli

Anyone know the lifetime of a Garmin 305 battery , i've mine a long long time at this stage and still seems to be going very well.

Worth keeping an eye out tomorrow it seems according to this post from here
    https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/11/trainers-meters-including.html

I think I'll finally go for the fenix 5 plus sapphire if the price is right tomorrow

Worth keeping an eye out tomorrow it seems according to this post from here
    https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/11/trainers-meters-including.html

I think I'll finally go for the fenix 5 plus sapphire if the price is right tomorrow

I’ve been rocking over the buy button on a 5+ with a 15% discount available. 20% would tip me over I think.

I’ve been rocking over the buy button on a 5+ with a 15% discount available. 20% would tip me over I think.

Where are you getting the 15%? The offer I linked to seems to be for US only so would get very badly hit with customs if buying from there

• Advertisement

Where are you getting the 15%? The offer I linked to seems to be for US only so would get very badly hit with customs if buying from there

Blacks are doing 20% off but they only seem to have the S and normal plus.

https://www.blacks.co.uk/s:fenix/?search=fenix

Great idea setting up price alerts, something i hadn't thought about previous. I have waited this long, another three weeks should be easy. Thanks :)

https://www.wareable.com/garmin/fenix-5-black-friday-deals-6711
    It's not even 23 November, but we found another place to pick up a good Garmin Black Friday deal. UK outdoor retailer Blacks is getting in early on the BF action and is offering the Fenix 5 series along with a bunch of other Garmin sports watches on the cheap right now.

You can currently pick up the Garmin Fenix 5 for £350, which is down from £440 and that's a decent 20% saving. The slimmer Fenix 5S is also up for grabs for £375 (down from £480) and there's also £100 off the Fenix 5X, which is available for £500 (down from £600). Blacks is pretty much matching what Amazon is offering the last gen Fenix watches for. So it's another place to snap them up.

I have been keeping an eye on Wiggle and Ultimate Outdoors at their prices for the Fenix 5x. I was hoping it might drop another bit from the current price £500.00 - maybe wishful thinking on my part.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Thought I'd ask this on the off chance someone knows the answer.

I notice when Garmin Connect displays a cycle the map will have an overlaid weather widget for that day which his expandable for more detail.

c6fe3PT.png

However on runs it doesn't display the weather widget. It only shows for cycles.

Yes, it's a first world problem :pac: but it would be nice to have the weather (temp mainly) recorded for the runs too.
    Anyone know if this is possible? Some setting somewhere that I can't seem to find?
    I'm using the same GPS watch for recording the running and cycling - a forerunner 35.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

DeepBlue wrote: »
    Thought I'd ask this on the off chance someone knows the answer.

I notice when Garmin Connect displays a cycle the map will have an overlaid weather widget for that day which his expandable for more detail.

c6fe3PT.png

However on runs it doesn't display the weather widget. It only shows for cycles.

Yes, it's a first world problem :pac: but it would be nice to have the weather (temp mainly) recorded for the runs too.
    Anyone know if this is possible? Some setting somewhere that I can't seem to find?
    I'm using the same GPS watch for recording the running and cycling - a forerunner 35.

I have temp recorded for runs and looks like your pic above - though don’t think it’s expandable.

Kellygirl wrote: »
    I have temp recorded for runs and looks like your pic above - though don’t think it’s expandable.

You just click that symbol (<) on the left and it expands out with a little more detail (on the browser version of garmin connect anyway).

Regular:
    c6fe3PT.png

Expanded:
    gZoYtFz.png

Some further research (ok, ok googling :pac:) reveals a workaround.
    It seems toggling the privacy setting on the activity will bring back the weather data.
    https://forums.garmin.com/forum/into-sports/garmin-connect/152610-

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Rossi7

I recently updated my 235 and since the update I can no longer get my daily step counts and heart rate by pressing the left bottom arrow. Any ideas on how to get it back please

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Rossi7 wrote: »
    I recently updated my 235 and since the update I can no longer get my daily step counts and heart rate by pressing the left bottom arrow. Any ideas on how to get it back please

Do you not select this on the watch face options or download a widget to show them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Rossi7

I took it out of the box and the feature was already on it, I also notice that the odd occasion the time freezes

Advertisement