Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Megathread-Ask your questions here-See post 1 on how to search thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

BobbyT28 wrote: »
    Out of interest, are you in the UK? Seems like it works in the UK on MC I've tried to add both MC and Visa and can't. Anyone else using revolut with Garmin pay

In the Garmin Connect app, are you entering the CC number manually or scanning it? If the latter, make sure it captured the number correctly then enter the expiry and the CVV number. Also, I’m not sure it matters, but I entered my address info even though it was marked ‘optional’.

What happens when you submit all that? Does it want to confirm by sending you a text? At what point does it not work?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

In the Garmin Connect app, are you entering the CC number manually or scanning it? If the latter, make sure it captured the number correctly then enter the expiry and the CVV number. Also, I’m not sure it matters, but I entered my address info even though it was marked ‘optional’.

What happens when you submit all that? Does it want to confirm by sending you a text? At what point does it not work?

Ok, so was on to a live agent on revolut yesterday and he informed me that a number of irish customers with revolut MC have the ability to add there cards to Garmin pay which allows them to test it, he informed me that my card was not included :-( . So although you can add it you need to be lucky enough to be included. I'm not really happy with that answer, if you go to the Garmin pay and click on Irepand it mentions Mastercard.

Anyway let's hope they start rolling it out across all revolut users.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

Tried both ways.

Also it just says that card issuers in your country blah blah blah!!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 cillchainnigh

Hi All

After a long hiatus, I'm back pounding the streets and really enjoying my running. Currently wearing a Apple Watch but would prefer better accuracy around distances, more analysis etc. together with the option of listening to music/podcasts direct from the watch.

Have been looking at the Garmin Forerunner 245 Music and the 645 Music as alternatives, and my head is melted at this point!

I can source them for €307 (245M) and €342 (645M) online, so price points are pretty aligned.

Has any one used one or other (or both!)?

All thoughts and recommendations appreciated!

I own a 645M. The only things you'd be giving up that the 645M has that the 245M doesn't are the barometric altimeter and Garmin Pay. By getting the 245M you'd be gaining a lower-energy GPS chipset (which gives longer battery life when running the GPS), a couple of additional First Beat metrics, and, I think, an accelerometer on the watch itself.

I guess a lot depends on what your priorities are. How important is a barometric altimeter to you? Are you likely to use/need Garmin Pay? I use it but I wouldn't say I need it. Only once in the last few months have I used my watch to pay for something when I was in my running gear and therefore had no other means to pay. Most of the time, it's just as easy to use a bank card.

And if longer battery life while active matters to you, the 245M is probably a better choice.

I've left out entirely the aesthetics of the two watches. I think the 645M looks nicer, but tastes vary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

What bank are you with if you don't mind me asking. I thought garmin pay was only supported by KBC thus far.

What bank are you with if you don't mind me asking. I thought garmin pay was only supported by KBC thus far.

Well, a bit earlier on this thread (like immediately above this post), we were discussing Revolut and whether or not it works on the watch. Turns out that it's on some kind of beta trial by Revolut and some people (me, for example) got it without a problem and others can't.

So I have it with my Revolut MC. I also just switched banks to KBC (not because of Garmin Pay) so I have that card in there as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 cillchainnigh

Thanks for the feedback!

Some replies in CAPS below. All things being equal, I'm leaning towards the 645M... Cheers :)

I own a 645M. The only things you'd be giving up that the 645M has that the 245M doesn't are the barometric altimeter and Garmin Pay. By getting the 245M you'd be gaining a lower-energy GPS chipset (which gives longer battery life when running the GPS), a couple of additional First Beat metrics, and, I think, an accelerometer on the watch itself.

I guess a lot depends on what your priorities are. How important is a barometric altimeter to you? COMPLETELY UNIMPORTANT... Are you likely to use/need Garmin Pay? HYPOTHETICALLY; I'VE HAD APPLE PAY ON PHONE AND WATCH FOR AGES AND RARELY BOTHERED... I use it but I wouldn't say I need it. Only once in the last few months have I used my watch to pay for something when I was in my running gear and therefore had no other means to pay. Most of the time, it's just as easy to use a bank card.

And if longer battery life while active matters to you, the 245M is probably a better choice. IT'S FAR FROM ULTRAS THAT I'M PRESENTLY, SO NOT A BIG DEAL... THAT SAID, BATTERY LIFE DOES MATTER AS HATE HAVING TO CHARGE THE APPLE WATCH AS OFTEN AS I DO.

I've left out entirely the aesthetics of the two watches. I think the 645M looks nicer, but tastes vary. TOOK A SPIN TO 53 DEGREES NORTH TO VALIDATE THIS EVENING AND I AGREE; IT LOOKS MORE LIKE A "REAL" WATCH AND LESS PLASTICY

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Is anyone having difficulties uploading workouts to their watch? I can't get my Forerunner 220 to update no matter what I try.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Is anyone having difficulties uploading workouts to their watch? I can't get my Forerunner 220 to update no matter what I try.

I had awful trouble with this before I upgraded. It would involved a lot of unpairing each device and re-starting both the watch and phone numerous times. I contacted Garmin support but they were no use. If the workout would start to transfer it would take forever.

Probably not any use at all but they advised me to head to the troubleshooting section of their site support.garmin.com. Garmin connect app - Bluetooth Troubleshooting. They wanted to know what phone model I was using. I had a fitbit at the time and that had no trouble syncing.

• Advertisement

aquinn wrote: »
    I had awful trouble with this before I upgraded. It would involved a lot of unpairing each device and re-starting both the watch and phone numerous times. I contacted Garmin support but they were no use. If the workout would start to transfer it would take forever.

Probably not any use at all but they advised me to head to the troubleshooting section of their site support.garmin.com. Garmin connect app - Bluetooth Troubleshooting. They wanted to know what phone model I was using. I had a fitbit at the time and that had no trouble syncing.

I've a bad feeling I'm going to have to upgrade but it seems like such a waste of money when the watch works fine. It's weird that it uploads my runs to GC perfectly but just won't let me download workouts :(

Thanks for your input.

I've a bad feeling I'm going to have to upgrade but it seems like such a waste of money when the watch works fine. It's weird that it uploads my runs to GC perfectly but just won't let me download workouts :(

Thanks for your input.

I presume apps are up-to-date and most recent software installed?

I presume apps are up-to-date and most recent software installed?

Yep - I installed Garmin Connect on my laptop last night to see if that would help, so it's all new and up to date. The laptop was reading the watch and told me it had synced but when I go to workouts on my watch, it tells me to download from GC. Watch also updated with new software at some point this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

I had problems at one stage and managed to do it by putting them into my garmin connect calendar. Was a bit stupid really the way it worked. Might be worth a try though.

Kellygirl wrote: »
    I had problems at one stage and managed to do it by putting them into my garmin connect calendar. Was a bit stupid really the way it worked. Might be worth a try though.

Yeah - this was the only way it worked for me but no longer.

When you say it won't let you download the workouts are you creating them on the mobile connect app or a laptop.

I set up a tempo workout on my 230 yesterday on the phone. I was wondering if it would transfer automatically but no I had to click on the workout and then click on the phone icon in the top right corner. This then transferred it to the watch over bluetooth.

When you say it won't let you download the workouts are you creating them on the mobile connect app or a laptop.

I set up a tempo workout on my 230 yesterday on the phone. I was wondering if it would transfer automatically but no I had to click on the workout and then click on the phone icon in the top right corner. This then transferred it to the watch over bluetooth.

Set it up on the laptop and have tried to send it both using laptop with the cable and via bluetooth on my phone - I've always done it, so it's not a case of not knowing how, but it's stopped working lately. A hard reset seems to have sorted the issue for now. Thanks.

Set it up on the laptop and have tried to send it both using laptop with the cable and via bluetooth on my phone - I've always done it, so it's not a case of not knowing how, but it's stopped working lately. A hard reset seems to have sorted the issue for now. Thanks.

The power off/on is always worth a shot. My watch wasn't pairing recently even though bluetooth was on. Powered off and on the watch and phone and it sorted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭py

Pretty interesting post from Ray Maker on Garmin

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/06/competitor-software-instability.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

I've a 620 and I'm having trouble the past few days connecting to my WiFi. I've done a soft and a hard reset and still not working. I can send my runs through Bluetooth to my phone, but trying to upload workouts with Bluetooth is problematic. The watch normally freezes and I've to do a soft reset. I can upload workouts with the cable but it's a pain now when I was used to using WiFi.

• Advertisement

Has anyone had trouble with a Garmin and the screen fading so badly so you can't read it? I have a fenix 5s and this started on Tuesday. It was near impossible to read last night during a session. Watch is 14 months. I have contacted Garmin and waiting still for a response.

Has anyone had trouble with a Garmin and the screen fading so badly so you can't read it? I have a fenix 5s and this started on Tuesday. It was near impossible to read last night during a session. Watch is 14 months. I have contacted Garmin and waiting still for a response.

I haven’t had that issue but on either my 4th or 5th Fenix 5s for other issues. I find the Garmin forums themselves quite good for finding similar issues.

I haven’t had that issue but on either my 4th or 5th Fenix 5s for other issues. I find the Garmin forums themselves quite good for finding similar issues.

Thank you. They have asked me to send back my device, at my cost, and then I'll get a refurbished one? Is that likely to be in as good shape? They advised that there is an issue with the backlight.

Thank you. They have asked me to send back my device, at my cost, and then I'll get a refurbished one? Is that likely to be in as good shape? They advised that there is an issue with the backlight.

Yes it will look brand new and be packaged as if it was. Keep your charger if they say just send the watch itself. Handy to have two.

Yes it will look brand new and be packaged as if it was. Keep your charger if they say just send the watch itself. Handy to have two.

Thank you. The trauma now of not having it potentially for two weeks!

Thank you. The trauma now of not having it potentially for two weeks!

I know. I remember that. Can you borrow one from anybody?

I know. I remember that. Can you borrow one from anybody?

I still have my 220 so hopefully that won't abandon me after over a year in a drawer.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭conti

My Vivoactive 3 has been giving me very generous elevations results since the last update, on the Roscommon 10 mile run it gave me 334m gain, for everyone else it was 80–82m. I also keep getting notifications that I'm scoring multiples of my stairs goals when I'm just walking around. Anyone else having this issue?

SW Version: 6.40
    GPS Version: 2.50

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Anything on Amazon prime day worth looking at here for multisport use? Cycling and running / walking. Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement