Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Megathread-Ask your questions here-See post 1 on how to search thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

BKWDR wrote: »
    Yeah main reason for getting either 645 or 245 is for the music element so I don't need my phone.
    Only negative to the 245 is the lack of NFC / Garmin pay

Might veer towards the 245 music as its just the newer model and the 645 is a 2018 model

I have a 645 music for sale, you can have it for €170. I can't find the original box, but can post in a fenix 6s box. Comes with official charging cable plus a few spares I bought, and I think I have an unused spare strap in a drawer somewhere to throw in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭BKWDR

I have a 645 music for sale, you can have it for €170. I can't find the original box, but can post in a fenix 6s box. Comes with official charging cable plus a few spares I bought, and I think I have an unused spare strap in a drawer somewhere to throw in.

Couple hours too late in afraid, would've taken you up on it too. Pulled the trigger on the 245.

BKWDR wrote: »
    Couple hours too late in afraid, would've taken you up on it too. Pulled the trigger on the 245.

No worries

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Paddy1234

Hi all Quick Question on Spotify. My 3 month free trial of Spotify premium is nearly up. Have a number of playlists linked to my Garmin. Does anybody know if I cancel my subscription can I keep the playlists already on the watch or do they go when Spotify subscription goes. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Paddy1234 wrote: »
    Hi all Quick Question on Spotify. My 3 month free trial of Spotify premium is nearly up. Have a number of playlists linked to my Garmin. Does anybody know if I cancel my subscription can I keep the playlists already on the watch or do they go when Spotify subscription goes. Thanks

They stay on your free account but can't be played on the watch...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Hi everyone, I'm after buying the 245 music. Arrived on Wednesday, set it up straight away and it had been working fine. Woke up this morning and the Bluetooth doesn't seem to be working. Won't connect to the garmin connect app at all and I can't get it to sync. Have tried restarting my phone, the watch.. nothing seems to be working. It's not an issue with my phone, the Bluetooth is working fine and will connect to other devices so it's definitely the watch. Anyone else experienced this issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Hi everyone, I'm after buying the 245 music. Arrived on Wednesday, set it up straight away and it had been working fine. Woke up this morning and the Bluetooth doesn't seem to be working. Won't connect to the garmin connect app at all and I can't get it to sync. Have tried restarting my phone, the watch.. nothing seems to be working. It's not an issue with my phone, the Bluetooth is working fine and will connect to other devices so it's definitely the watch. Anyone else experienced this issue?

I've never had that exact model but have you tried going into settings on the watch and then select phone and then then status connect or pair phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Similar issues with my Fenix

Fully close out of the Garmin connect app or restart phone

Turn watch off, then back on

Thanks for the responses but no joy since. When I try pairing them the phone will momentarily recognise the watch, it'll load about a quarter of the way and then say 'pairing failed'. Can't get it to work at all, getting a bit worried now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Thanks for the responses but no joy since. When I try pairing them the phone will momentarily recognise the watch, it'll load about a quarter of the way and then say 'pairing failed'. Can't get it to work at all, getting a bit worried now.

Again I had similar issues. You need to fully unpair the watch and phone. Go into Bluetooth settings on your phone, not just the connect app, and forget the watch. You need to unpair completely.

Then when it is completely forgotten , pair up again, but not through the Bluetooth settings on the phone. Just pair it through the Garmin connect app.

• Advertisement

Seve OB wrote: »
    Again I had similar issues. You need to fully unpair the watch and phone. Go into Bluetooth settings on your phone, not just the connect app, and forget the watch. You need to unpair completely.

Then when it is completely forgotten , pair up again, but not through the Bluetooth settings on the phone. Just pair it through the Garmin connect app.

Thanks! Got it sorted just before you posted that, followed some instructions on Reddit. Here's to hoping that'll be the last of the problem.

Another question, can the pace sometimes be a bit off when the watch is brand new? Went for my first run on Monday and the pace was jumping around mad for the first ten minutes but seemed to settle afterwards. Then when it was uploaded to strava it said I ran 3.3 miles when I actually ran 4. Anyone else experience this? Hopefully just a couple of hiccups because it's new.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭CassieManson

Thanks! Got it sorted just before you posted that, followed some instructions on Reddit. Here's to hoping that'll be the last of the problem.

Another question, can the pace sometimes be a bit off when the watch is brand new? Went for my first run on Monday and the pace was jumping around mad for the first ten minutes but seemed to settle afterwards. Then when it was uploaded to strava it said I ran 3.3 miles when I actually ran 4. Anyone else experience this? Hopefully just a couple of hiccups because it's new.

Not specifically with a new watch but sometimes the Garmin pace can be a bit off. I run a regular 4k route and a few weeks back it was indicating a higer pace than I am usually able to do. I thought I was flying, but when I go to the end of my 4k I had only run 3.6.. route map was correct from start to finish!

Not specifically with a new watch but sometimes the Garmin pace can be a bit off. I run a regular 4k route and a few weeks back it was indicating a higer pace than I am usually able to do. I thought I was flying, but when I go to the end of my 4k I had only run 3.6.. route map was correct from start to finish!

Hmmm. I've upgraded from a forerunner 35, where there was no issues with the pace/distance, so it'd be quite disappointing if I start having these issues with a newer, more expensive model. Still it's early days so hopefully won't be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,227 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I have a Garmin Venu. One of the really annoying things I find is that the watch keeps repeating the same notifications. i.e. if I get a Whatsapp message at 11:00 that I don't dismiss / mark as read and another at 11:04, the watch will flash up a notification and vibrate but show the 11:00 message again.

My €30 MiBand was clever enough to not do this, only showing notifications once. Anyone have a solution on this?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

Garmin Venu here too, bought it for GPS and Garmin Pay - if I start a walk 'activity', I'll be almost finished by the time it tells me GPS has been started. I've tried to enable Garmin Pay but my 3 cards (Bank of Ireland debit, N26 debit and Avantcard credit) are not accepted as not being authorised for Garmin Pay at this time. Disappointing, really! Any workarounds?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 sav1

muckety wrote: »
    Garmin Venu here too, bought it for GPS and Garmin Pay - if I start a walk 'activity', I'll be almost finished by the time it tells me GPS has been started. I've tried to enable Garmin Pay but my 3 cards (Bank of Ireland debit, N26 debit and Avantcard credit) are not accepted as not being authorised for Garmin Pay at this time. Disappointing, really! Any workarounds?

I had the same issue so now use a Revolut account with my garmin and I think KBC is the only other one that works with Garmin pay here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Re your GPS, go to the About setting on your watch. Go to the end of the list you get and you'll see 'Current CPE Info' and see what it says there. It should be 'Current' but if it shows up as expired your watch is working on old satellite settings. It should normally get updated regularly when your watch connects to the Garmin but sometimes it gets stuck with an old bunch of settings.

If it's not updated when connected to your Garmin app on your phone, if you use it, forcing a WiFi synch or synching with Garmin Express on a laptop/computer should update it and you'll find it locks to GPS quickly. No harm in sticking your watching by a window or something before you head out too.

Revolut works with Garmin Pay too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Any recommendations for a new watch that will hold songs and link to spotify when running but also work for golf as well as running?

I don’t think the 645 has golf functionality

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

Any recommendations for a new watch that will hold songs and link to spotify when running but also work for golf as well as running?

Cheers

Fenix line

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

Cheers

Everything in this link will do running, music and Golf

https://buy.garmin.com/en-IE/GB/c10002-p1.html?FILTER_USERPROFILE_GOLFING=true&FILTER_USERPROFILE_RUNNING=true&FILTER_FEATURE_MUSICSTORAGE=true&sorter=featuredProducts-desc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Not sure if it's already been posted, but Curve is now supported for Garmin Pay in Ireland. Slightly different than Revolut in that you link your own debit/credit card to curve so there's no top-up needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭gar

Has anyone upgraded from a vivoactive 4 to a fenix 6 pro? Any pros/cons? I see there is no touchscreen on the fenix and I quite like it on the vivoactive. Any advise appreciated

Gar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

gar wrote: »
    Has anyone upgraded from a vivoactive 4 to a fenix 6 pro? Any pros/cons? I see there is no touchscreen on the fenix and I quite like it on the vivoactive. Any advise appreciated

Gar

My advice would be to check out review videos on youtube, my one personal concern would be the physical size of the fenix 6 on my wrist and sleeping with it on. If you prefer a touch screen check out the Venu2.
    The fenix 6 has loads to it, so would you need it, not much use buying an iphone if all you do is text. I use my watch mainly for running but I need it to play music and have Garmin pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭ISOP

Reg'stoy wrote: »
    My advice would be to check out review videos on youtube, my one personal concern would be the physical size of the fenix 6 on my wrist and sleeping with it on. If you prefer a touch screen check out the Venu2.
    The fenix 6 has loads to it, so would you need it, not much use buying an iphone if all you do is text. I use my watch mainly for running but I need it to play music and have Garmin pay.

I was the same regarding the size of it but you get used to it very quickly

ISOP wrote: »
    I was the same regarding the size of it but you get used to it very quickly

+1 on this. After a few days you forget about the size. I also bought the Coros Vertix nylon strap for it which is great (better fit for running, reduces weight, and a lot cheaper than the official Garmin nylon strap).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I'm looking for an easy to use/basic garmin for a 70 year old man into walking. Also need a strap that is longer than the standard size as he has very large hands/wrists

• Registered Users Posts: 6,197 ✭✭✭crisco10

Have a 735xt, today it randomly started to vibrate and when I looked down screen was blank .

Got it to turn back on by plugging in. But time is wrong, and it won't look for GPS all of a sudden. I've tried soft reset, and tried changing GPS setting but no luck.

Anyone else have similar experience and a solution??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,673 ✭✭✭Cartman78

The strap is starting to crack on my trusty Forerunner 230....it's a replacement strap and probably about 2 years old.

The watch itself (about 5-6 years old) is going fine I think but I'm starting to notice the battery is starting to go a bit - deffo charging it more recently than I remember before.

Anyway, my longwinded question is whether it's worth investing in another strap and hope the battery doesn't get worse, or is it time to invest in a replacement watch altogether? :confused:

The upgrade would be to a Forerunner 245 which are on sale on the Garmin website atm for €257. A replacement strap from Garmin would be €25 (I know there's cheaper one's on Amazon but they're not that much cheaper tbh and the quality looks varied from what I saw).

Having type it out actually I think getting a new strap might be the way to go....or if anyone has an old strap lying about in a drawer I'd be interested :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Cartman78 wrote: »
    The strap is starting to crack on my trusty Forerunner 230....it's a replacement strap and probably about 2 years old.

The watch itself (about 5-6 years old) is going fine I think but I'm starting to notice the battery is starting to go a bit - deffo charging it more recently than I remember before.

Anyway, my longwinded question is whether it's worth investing in another strap and hope the battery doesn't get worse, or is it time to invest in a replacement watch altogether? :confused:

The upgrade would be to a Forerunner 245 which are on sale on the Garmin website atm for €257. A replacement strap from Garmin would be €25 (I know there's cheaper one's on Amazon but they're not that much cheaper tbh and the quality looks varied from what I saw).

Having type it out actually I think getting a new strap might be the way to go....or if anyone has an old strap lying about in a drawer I'd be interested :pac:

This Boards.ie member is giving away a Garmin strap away for free.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058190962

After 5 or 6 years you're probably due and entitled to an upgrade. The 245 often comes up on offer every so often. eg it was £169 last week on Amazon Prime day. You could set up one of them price alerts that notifies you when it's on offer or drops below a certain price as if you get a strap you won't be in a rush to replace it.

Advertisement