Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Megathread-Ask your questions here-See post 1 on how to search thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

If you don't mind shelling out a few quid to solve the problem, apparently you can use the Polar wearlink strap with the Garmin transmitter:

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2010/08/solution-to-heart-rate-dropoutsspikes.html

According to that guy this solves the HR reading problems with the 310XT.

Tried that this time last year. It stops the spikes but its a little slow to respond. it lags alot in updating HR.

Also I switched to a hard strap as that has less spikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

So, how do you find it? Oh wait... You have a Garmin.
    Do as I say, not as I do? :)

You're out to get me, ever since I called you a pervert, aren't you? :p
    I didn't say I have one. I said it was an alternative to Garmin when you said there was none.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Hi Guys, what way is everyone that's running setting up their garmins for DCM. I'm thinking of one fixed screen with Time (for pace band) and Current pace rather than average pace. Have decided to definitely run without HRM. Tips appreciated.
    Neil

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I'll have AutoLap switched on, and distance displayed, though I'll be taking that with salt.
    Time and average lap pace in the other two fields.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

The Timex Global Trainer GPS is a decent enough alternative. A review is Here.
    I stand corrected. Reading through DC Rainmaker's review, it sounds like a pretty decent alternative (and is $70 cheaper than the equivalent 310XT product). The only thing that would bother me would be the lack of advanced workouts, and the fact that it's recording routes consistently 2.5% short (which is a little alarming, but you would hope could be addressed by a firmware update).

I am a self-confessed GPS pervert. Why would I deny it? :)

• Advertisement

neilc wrote: »
    Hi Guys, what way is everyone that's running setting up their garmins for DCM. I'm thinking of one fixed screen with Time (for pace band) and Current pace rather than average pace. Have decided to definitely run without HRM. Tips appreciated.
    Neil
    I prefer average pace to current pace as I find current pace too flakey. Others prefer current pace though. Either should be taken with a pinch of salt as is the case for the distance. So:
    1) Time (combined with pace band + official mile markers
    2) Distance (Just for reference)
    3) average pace (just for reference).
    I'm also bringing a cheapy stop-watch as a backup.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭bart simpson

just a quick question, i will be using auto lap at mile intervals,
    i will have the watch as follows
    first page
    lap pace, lap distance
    last lap time, overall distance

on second page

time
    average pace, overall distance

not sure what to put on the last page yet

i would like to have a cumulative split time... ie ....say i pass 15 miles and i look down at my watch 2 minutes later, can i have a field that shows what time it took me to do the 15 miles(i could then just check my pace band against it), then when i go through 16 the field changes to that time and so on
    can this be done?

i have a garmin 305
    thanks

just a quick question, i will be using auto lap at mile intervals,
    i will have the watch as follows
    first page
    lap pace, lap distance
    last lap time, overall distance

on second page

time
    average pace, overall distance

not sure what to put on the last page yet

i would like to have a cumulative split time... ie ....say i pass 15 miles and i look down at my watch 2 minutes later, can i have a field that shows what time it took me to do the 15 miles(i could then just check my pace band against it), then when i go through 16 the field changes to that time and so on
    can this be done?

i have a garmin 305
    thanks
    I reckon you are probably over-complicating things. I think you should stick to one screen, as the more information you present to yourself, the more likely you are to misinterpret that data, or have something go wrong.

But to go back to your original question, I don't believe there is a cumulative last lap data field.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭kala85

can somebody please recommend a good hrm monitor / watch please. also a good garmin watch and maybe one i could plug into a computer to record all my data..

thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭sean_84

There's a big thread with lots of advice about Garmins here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055987516

The Garmin Forerunner 305 is fairly good value at the moment on amazon for £108. It has all the features of the Forerunner 405 (but is slightly bigger).

But it's heart-rate feature doesn't get the best reviews:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056070756

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Dr Oslek

youll get a garmin 305 with 10% off on amazon till sunday

cheaper than the 205 with that as well

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭oldrunner

Any way to get data to computer without agent? Replacement seems to be €50 (including post).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

RubyK wrote: »
    Woo hoo, my new replacement Garmin has just been delivered :D I'm very impressed that the company dispatched a replacement one to me, before they even received my faulty watch.

Well I didn't even get one mile out of the replacement watch for the marathon, the bloody yoke died before the off, and it won't charge up for me now.

Back to the good old Argos stopwatch for me :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

My 305, while recording the actual time and total distance, only has gps data for the last 18km or so. That's the bit I'm trying to forget. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

I have a Garmin 205 and I've uploaded my runs into programs like Garmin Training Centre, Garmin Connect, MapMyRun. The graphs are handy to look at and get an overall idea of the training session or race and depending on the race, I set autolap to 1 mile or 1k.

For example, for the DCM on Monday, I have a long list of lap times along with pace etc and looks good on a graph, whatever program I'm using, but all the graphs seem to offer the following combinations...

pace vs elevation
    distance vs pace
    and so on,

but the one graph that I cannot seem to find is time vs distance.

I'd like to be able to look at a graph and click on the 1h mark to see how far I had run at that point in the race, or what time did I pass the 13.1M halfway mark etc?

Am I missing something very simple, or do I have to start adding up all the times from each lap to work out my time at a particular distance etc? I cannot adjust the axis of the graphs to suit time vs distance and all the data tables only list lap times, not overall time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I got an F60 a while ago, and really find it handy. I now wish I had gotten one of the fancier ones, with GPS functionality.

I may have to sell and trade up a couple of models :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

Aimman wrote: »
    I have a Garmin 205 and I've uploaded my runs into programs like Garmin Training Centre, Garmin Connect, MapMyRun. The graphs are handy to look at and get an overall idea of the training session or race and depending on the race, I set autolap to 1 mile or 1k.

For example, for the DCM on Monday, I have a long list of lap times along with pace etc and looks good on a graph, whatever program I'm using, but all the graphs seem to offer the following combinations...

pace vs elevation
    distance vs pace
    and so on,

but the one graph that I cannot seem to find is time vs distance.

I'd like to be able to look at a graph and click on the 1h mark to see how far I had run at that point in the race, or what time did I pass the 13.1M halfway mark etc?

Am I missing something very simple, or do I have to start adding up all the times from each lap to work out my time at a particular distance etc? I cannot adjust the axis of the graphs to suit time vs distance and all the data tables only list lap times, not overall time.

Try Sporttracks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

thinking about this some more while out tonight...

Could I keep my Garmin USB Key and Chest Strap [from my F60], and use them with a 410/450? [ie: Does the garmin stuff work with each watch, or are they feckers and make you get different stuff for each watch series or something?]

oldrunner wrote: »
    Any way to get data to computer without agent? Replacement seems to be €50 (including post).
    Nope. Try to find a cheap one on eBay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Aimman wrote: »

You can check this in the 'Player' function in Garmin Connect. You can also see your chip splits from the Marathon in the TDS-live site.

• Advertisement

thinking about this some more while out tonight...

Could I keep my Garmin USB Key and Chest Strap [from my F60], and use them with a 410/450? [ie: Does the garmin stuff work with each watch, or are they feckers and make you get different stuff for each watch series or something?]
    Yes and yes (of course the USB ANT stick will only work with a watch that uses ANT to communicate (so not the 110, 205, 305, etc)). However, you probably couldn't buy a Forerunner that uses ANT+ without a USB Stick. You could always sell the spare to Oldrunner!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

For those with a 305, i've looked for an answer to this and i can't find it anywhere.

Is there a light on it for running at night and if so i do i get it to work ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Kissy Lips

Can I connect my garmin 405 to either an apple iphone4 or a HTC Desire? I believe the HTC Desire has USB connection....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

For those with a 305, i've looked for an answer to this and i can't find it anywhere.

Is there a light on it for running at night and if so i do i get it to work ?

It should be the same as the 205, when running just tap the on/off button and the light will come on for a short time to read the screen. If you have auto alerts set like autolap, the screen should light up each time a new lap begins, so show you the last lap info etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Anyone know where the 210 can be found in Ireland yet? Up and Running have a shop in Newry that might get it in I'd imagine but I can't find anywhere to buy it yet. Anyone seen it anywhere yet, in shops or online?

What are people's initial thoughts on the 210? I've had no GPS watch before, wouldn't really be interested in too many functions apart from the basic ones and have tried on 310s and 405s and find them both to be quite big and cumbersome.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Contemplating finally getting a Garmin. Prices on a 305 seem to be pretty good - but I have really small wrists. Would it be too big?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR :mad: :mad:

I must have tried 20 times to connect my Forerunner 110 this morning and Windows keeps saying "USB device not recognised".

I've been having this problem regularly with the 110 but usually resetting it and trying a few more times solves the issue. However I've reset it 3 times, restarted the computer and tried to connect about 20 times the f*****g thing still won't work.

Garmin, get your f****** act together and get this fixed! :mad: :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR :mad: :mad:

I must have tried 20 times to connect my Forerunner 110 this morning and Windows keeps saying "USB device not recognised".

I've been having this problem regularly with the 110 but usually resetting it and trying a few more times solves the issue. However I've reset it 3 times, restarted the computer and tried to connect about 20 times the f*****g thing still won't work.

Garmin, get your f****** act together and get this fixed! :mad: :mad:

Sure enough, about 2 mins later it finally connected. But it shouldn't take so many attempts!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭plodder

Kissy Lips wrote: »
    Can I connect my garmin 405 to either an apple iphone4 or a HTC Desire? I believe the HTC Desire has USB connection....
    I'm pretty sure you can't connect a garmin watch to anything other than a computer running Windows (or MacOS)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Kissy Lips wrote: »

Nope, as plodder said it won't work.

The USB connections on the phones are different to the ones on the PC/Mac end which are USB hosts, quite apart from the actual type of physical connector being different.

Advertisement