Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Megathread-Ask your questions here-See post 1 on how to search thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

robinph wrote: »
    Nope, as plodder said it won't work.

The USB connections on the phones are different to the ones on the PC/Mac end which are USB hosts, quite apart from the actual type of physical connector being different.
    Plus, the 405 doesn't connect to anything via USB, with the exception of power/charging. It always uses the ANT stick for transferring data. If you had a Forerunner 110 *which does use USB for data transfer), you might be able to cobble together a solution, but it wouldn't be easy.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR :mad: :mad:

I must have tried 20 times to connect my Forerunner 110 this morning and Windows keeps saying "USB device not recognised".

I've been having this problem regularly with the 110 but usually resetting it and trying a few more times solves the issue. However I've reset it 3 times, restarted the computer and tried to connect about 20 times the f*****g thing still won't work.

Garmin, get your f****** act together and get this fixed! :mad: :mad:
    Make sure it's not your PC (try it on another PC). If it is the device, send it back. Don't wait for it to fix itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Dr Oslek

just ordered my 305 on amazon €115 or so :)

cant wait to get my hands on it!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Decisions, decisions. Have the chance to get something brought back from the US from an Amazon or similar for cheaper than we get this part of the world.

But unsure if I get another 405cx, to replace the current 405 which is held together with gaffer tape now and is starting to annoy me, the electronics is working fine on the current one, just the strap is held together with will power.

Or do I stick with the bodged fix on the current 405 and get myself an Edge 705 for the bike so I can see pictures of maps whilst riding along?

Or do I stick with the bodged fix on the current 405 and get myself an Edge 705 for the bike so I can see pictures of maps whilst riding along?
    Can you not get a replacement soft strap for the 405? A 705 would be cool.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Can you not get a replacement soft strap for the 405? A 705 would be cool.

Nope, it's actually broken on both the straps and where the straps attach to the main part of the watch, and on both sides. :mad:

I will get another forerunner, but I think for now I want a new toy for the bike. So that I then go out and actually use the damn thing.

Nope, it's actually broken on both the straps and where the straps attach to the main part of the watch, and on both sides. :mad:

I will get another forerunner, but I think for now I want a new toy for the bike. So that I then go out and actually use the damn thing.
    Well, with the 410 out soon, the 405 should be getting cheaper. Just don't see the value proposition of the 405cx.

Now I've just spotted there is an Edge 800 coming out soon, bigger screen than the 705 and touch screen. Shinier and newer. :D

I'm not actually seeing much advantage in the USD prices now, only a tenner or so which makes it not really worth the bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

I've been looking through some threads, but I couldn't find one with GPS recommendations. I've taken a quick look at some Garmon Forerunner models online, but I find the specs very confusing and I'm sure there are loads of features that I will never have the slightest interest in.

From browsing this forum, I know that many of you have Garmins. What model do you have and for what specific feature, if any? If you use another make, what and why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Anything you need to know about garmins is in here, somewhere
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055987516

threads merged

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Just wonder while the elevation stats in Training Center are always overstated versus Garmin Connect?

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Just wonder while the elevation stats in Training Center are always overstated versus Garmin Connect?
    Have you got elevation correction turned on in GC? This uses survey data/topology data to correct inaccuracies in the Garmin data, and obviously isn't available to Training Centre. Try turning it off for an activity in GC, and see if the figures are closer to the Training Centre figures.

Yes have corrections turned on - checked some data from before the released corrections and there's still quite a big variance (129mts on the descent alone on an 11k run)

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Yes have corrections turned on - checked some data from before the released corrections and there's still quite a big variance (129mts on the descent alone on an 11k run)
    Garmins are crap. I'm all about the Timex Ironman GPS now. Going to start a new thread soon. Who's with me?

Garmins are crap. I'm all about the Timex Ironman GPS now. Going to start a new thread soon. Who's with me?

Less is More, getting ready for a Winter of discontent - forget your Garmins, Timexs and Sunitos - it's time to listen to 'The Governor'!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

SHOCK:eek: This is bigger than Wayne Rooney going to City.

Ah, I'll take a look at that now. 31 pages... :)

I'm thinking of buying one to help me in the new year with my marathon plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

In the middle of the big garmin thread, Krusty Clown, the resident expert, suggests answering the following questions to help decide which Garmin you need.

1. Sports involved in/hope to participate in, in the future: (Running/swimming/cycling):
    2. Training practices/future potential (do you plan to use intervals/advanced workouts)
    3. Budget (How much are you willing to spend):
    4. Level of technical knowledge (happy with something that's complex or prefer to keep it very simple):
    5. Need a Heart rate Monitor? (some devices will not interface with external components):
    6. Needs to be fully waterproof (rather than water resistant):
    7. Have concerns about the size of the 205/305/310xt:
    8. Have concerns about the bezel on the 405:
    9. Have concerns about not having 'real time pace' statistics on the 110 (110 doesn't show actual pace, it shows average pace or lap pace):
    10. Prefer to buy in a bricks and Mortar shop rather than over the internet:
    11. Prefer not to have a Garmin watch (some other manufacturer):

Most people would have a Garmin Forerunner variant. There is one new (viable) alternative: The Timex Ironman GPS which has just been released. Reviews are positive, but it suffers the same issues in the water that the Garmin does. It's slightly cheaper than a 310xt, but as you would be the only one on this forum who has one, you couldn't expect too much support from this forum (but I'm sure there are other forums wher eit would be officially supported).

Fill this out, and we can try to suggest the best fit for you.

Sports involved in/hope to participate in, in the future: (Running/swimming/cycling):
    Training practices/future potential (do you plan to use intervals/advanced workouts)
    Budget (How much are you willing to spend):
    Level of technical knowledge (happy with something that's complex or prefer to keep it very simple):
    Need a Heart rate Monitor? (some devices will not interface with external components):
    Needs to be fully waterproof (rather than water resistant):
    Have concerns about the size of the 205/305/310xt:
    Have concerns about the bezel on the 405:
    Have concerns about not having 'real time pace' statistics on the 110 (110 doesn't show actual pace, it shows average pace or lap pace):
    Prefer to buy in a bricks and Mortar shop rather than over the internet:
    Prefer not to have a Garmin watch (some other manufacturer):

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Here is my analysis of three of the most popular Garmins for running ( I haven't looked at triathlon versions) based on my limited knowledge.

I would be interested in other users correcting this or adding to it. I think it would make a useful and interesting thread of its own, away from the current Garmin thread which is for users, not buyers.

Garmin Forerunner 305

Price - STG£200 with HRM (STG£118 on amazon.co.uk)
    Sports - Running, Cycling
    Size - Big and clunky
    HRM - Yes
    Battery life - 10 hours
    Features - Lots of options for advanced workouts, intervals, pace/time alerts,

Pro - Offers most of the features needed for amateur runners
    Cons - Ugly brute of a thing.

Garmin Forerunner 110

Price - STG£200 with HRM (STG£146 on amazon.co.uk)
    Sports - Running only
    Size - Small and neat ( girly version with pink stripe available)
    HRM - Some versions
    Features - No intervals, advanced workouts, alerts
    Battery life - 8 hours

Pros - Simple, offers pace/distance/time measurement with little complexity
    Cons - Limited features if your training gets more technical

Garmin Forerunner 405

Price - STG£300 with HRM (STG£180 on amazon.co.uk)
    Sports - Running, cycling
    Size - Quite neat
    HRM - Some versions
    Battery life - 8 hours

Pros - Nicer looking than the 305
    Cons - More expensive than the 305

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Anyone know what the sample rate on the Forerunner 110 is?

I'm looking to pick up a GPS sometime in the new year when my employment status will have a stabilised (I hope). Chain Reaction Cycles have the following at present:
    Garmin Forerunner 305 - €215.00
    Garmin Forerunner 405 CX Inc. Heart Monitor - €352.39
    Garmin Forerunner 405 Inc Heart Monitor - €310.57
    What would you recommend from the above?
    Would you recommend something completely different?
    Is there anywhere else that I should buy from?

mloc123 wrote: »
    Anyone know what the sample rate on the Forerunner 110 is?
    Think it's 'smart' (euphemism for crap), which means 1-4 seconds.

I'm looking to pick up a GPS sometime in the new year when my employment status will have a stabilised (I hope). Chain Reaction Cycles have the following at present:
    Garmin Forerunner 305 - €215.00
    Garmin Forerunner 405 CX Inc. Heart Monitor - €352.39
    Garmin Forerunner 405 Inc Heart Monitor - €310.57
    What would you recommend from the above?
    Would you recommend something completely different?
    Is there anywhere else that I should buy from?
    None of them. The watches are fine, those prices are dreadful. Have a look at Amazon.co.uk.

My update on Huskerdu's list:
    Huskerdu wrote:
    Here is my analysis of three of the most popular Garmins for running ( I haven't looked at triathlon versions) based on my limited knowledge.

I would be interested in other users correcting this or adding to it. I think it would make a useful and interesting thread of its own, away from the current Garmin thread which is for users, not buyers.
    Garmin Forerunner 305

Price - STG£200 with HRM (STG£118 on amazon.co.uk)
    Sports - Running, Cycling
    Size - Big and clunky
    HRM - Yes
    Battery life - 10 hours

Pro - Offers most of the features needed for amateur runners
    Cons - Ugly brute of a thing.

Garmin Forerunner 110

Price - STG£200 with HRM (STG£146 on amazon.co.uk)
    Sports - Running only
    Size - Small and neat ( girly version with pink stripe available)
    HRM - Some versions
    Features - No intervals, advanced workouts, alerts
    Battery life - 8 hours

Pros - Simple, offers pace/distance/time measurement with little complexity
    Cons - Limited features if your training gets more technical
    Cons - No real time pace info (average/lap pace only)

Garmin Forerunner 405

Price - STG£300 with HRM (STG£180 on amazon.co.uk)
    Sports - Running, cycling
    Size - Quite neat
    HRM - Some versions
    Battery life - 8 hours

Pros - Nicer looking than the 305
    Cons - More expensive than the 305
    Cons - Problematic Bezel
    Cons - Poor battery life

Think it's 'smart' (euphemism for crap), which means 1-4 seconds.

Before I go and google all models, anyone know if the 305 the last model that does not use 'smart' recording... or is the 405 the same?

mloc123 wrote: »
    Before I go and google all models, anyone know if the 305 the last model that does not use 'smart' recording... or is the 405 the same?
    It's not the smart that's the problem, it's the inability to configure the sampling frequency that is the issue. The 305 is (as far as I know) the last release that allowed you to configure the sampling rate. You certainly can't on the 405, and I think tunney indicated previously that you can't on the 310xt either.

It's not the smart that's the problem, it's the inability to configure the sampling frequency that is the issue. The 305 is (as far as I know) the last release that allowed you to configure the sampling rate. You certainly can't on the 405, and I think tunney indicated previously that you can't on the 310xt either.

Yeah, I have a 310xt and the sampling is poor... half considering getting another model for better sampling.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Dukie

Krusty, seeming that the Garmin Forerunner 405 is going to be replaced by the 410 before the end of the year would you think that its worth waiting for the newer version? Is the bezel problem with the 405 a major flaw? Thanks

• Advertisement

Hmm, not sure what I did in this thread earlier. I seem to have posted the answer from another thread (unless a mod did a merge) and then added a reply, but in the time taken, other stuff had been added.

Anyways, here are my answers to the questions kindly provided.

Sports involved in/hope to participate in, in the future: Running, walking/hiking and cycling. No water activity ever!

Training practices/future potential: I plan to do a lot more running next year, compete in several races and half marathons, building up to the DCM in October. Any help that a GPS will provide me with in relation to training is welcome.

Budget: I don't mind spending several hundred yoyos once.

Level of technical knowledge: Technology interests me rather than scares me.

Need a Heart rate Monitor? I don't know. Are they helpful?

Needs to be fully waterproof: I'm not into water outside of a drinking/washing scenario. Sometimes not even that. :)

Have concerns about the size of the 205/305/310xt: Probably do. I'd likely catch it on things.

Have concerns about the bezel on the 405: I don't know. What concerns should I have?

Have concerns about not having 'real time pace' statistics on the 110: I'd rather have realtime if possible.

Prefer to buy in a bricks and Mortar shop rather than over the internet: I don't mind. Are they reliable? Is it really a good idea to have somewhere to bring it back to?

Prefer not to have a Garmin watch:Garmin is the only brand that I've seen anywhere.

Advertisement