Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Megathread-Ask your questions here-See post 1 on how to search thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Hmm, not sure what I did in this thread earlier. I seem to have posted the answer from another thread (unless a mod did a merge) and then added a reply, but in the time taken, other stuff had been added.

Anyways, here are my answers to the questions kindly provided.
    Sounds like you need a Garmin 405. The 405 uses a touch sensitive bezel (to give you virtual buttons) around the bezel of the watch. It works ok, but when it gets wet (think rain, sweat) it tends to go a little mad, and can be quite annoying. This can largely be worked around, by just locking the bezel before you start your run. This problem has supposedly been fixed in the 'soon to be released' 410, however, being the new kid on the block, I would expect it to be expensive.

The 405 should set you back around €175, without a heart rate monitor. If you don't know what a HRM is, then you're probably better off without one for the time being (you can pick one up later). If you try and buy one in a bricks and mortar shop, expect to pay around €75-€150 more (at a guess).

€175 delivered is a decent price from Amazon. Any questions, fire them on.

Dukie wrote: »
    Krusty, seeming that the Garmin Forerunner 405 is going to be replaced by the 410 before the end of the year would you think that its worth waiting for the newer version? Is the bezel problem with the 405 a major flaw? Thanks
    No, I don't think it's worth waiting/paying for. I'm sure the 410 will have it's own set of new problems! The 405 for €175 (link above) is a pretty good deal. I would expect the 410 will probably set you back around €350 when it becomes available, for feck all advantages/new functionality. The existing bezel problem is an annoyance more than anything. It does kind of mean that you cannot use multiple data screens, but that doesn't bother me (and others), as most of us would only use a single data screen (but that could be a product of the flaw!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

No, I don't think it's worth waiting/paying for. I'm sure the 410 will have it's own set of new problems! The 405 for €175 (link above) is a pretty good deal. I would expect the 410 will probably set you back around €350 when it becomes available, for feck all advantages/new functionality. The existing bezel problem is an annoyance more than anything. It does kind of mean that you cannot use multiple data screens, but that doesn't bother me (and others), as most of us would only use a single data screen (but that could be a product of the flaw!).
    It can also be setup to auto scroll between data screens if required. Not a perfect solution by any means but an option.
    Neil

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭SucCes09

[To be honest, I find the calorie count info to be more of an interesting add-on, rather than anything useful.[/QUOTE]

Was just thinking about this over the weekend... I've a 305 and was wondering how off the estimate was? I appreciate that it tries to base the calculation based off HR\weight, but how off is it in the grand scheme of things? 20%? 30% More?

SucCes09 wrote: »
    [To be honest, I find the calorie count info to be more of an interesting add-on, rather than anything useful.

Was just thinking about this over the weekend... I've a 305 and was wondering how off the estimate was? I appreciate that it tries to base the calculation based off HR\weight, but how off is it in the grand scheme of things? 20%? 30% More?[/QUOTE]
    That's part of the problem. It doesn't base calories expended on HR, elevation etc. (so according to the Garmin you'll burn a similar amount of calories running an uphill mile in 8 minutes, as you will a downhill mile in 8 minutes. I believe they've improved this in newer versions (405cx etc) but the figures it uses are probably close enough to use as a reference. Just don't be surprised if things don't add up. Another example, if you upload a tracklog to Garmin connect as a run, then change it to a cycle, the calories burned doesn't change, whereas the reality is quite different.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

huskerdu wrote: »
    In the middle of the big garmin thread, Krusty Clown, the resident expert, suggests answering the following questions to help decide which Garmin you need.

1. Sports involved in/hope to participate in, in the future: (Running/swimming/cycling): Running
    2. Training practices/future potential (do you plan to use intervals/advanced workouts) Dublin Marathon this year, Hope to improve next year.
    3. Budget (How much are you willing to spend): approx €200
    4. Level of technical knowledge (happy with something that's complex or prefer to keep it very simple): Into gadgets
    5. Need a Heart rate Monitor? (some devices will not interface with external components): Would be interested but not mandatory
    6. Needs to be fully waterproof (rather than water resistant): No
    7. Have concerns about the size of the 205/305/310xt: Would prefer normal watch size.
    8. Have concerns about the bezel on the 405: ??
    9. Have concerns about not having 'real time pace' statistics on the 110 (110 doesn't show actual pace, it shows average pace or lap pace): Think I would prefer to be able to check pace on the move rather than each lap.
    10. Prefer to buy in a bricks and Mortar shop rather than over the internet: wherever best deal is available.
    11. Prefer not to have a Garmin watch (some other manufacturer): No preference

Hi guys,

Have been looking over the web at different products in the hope Santa might be good to me. Questions answered above maybe you can point me in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Krusty posted this comparison upthread
    Garmin Forerunner 305

Price - STG£200 with HRM (STG£118 on amazon.co.uk)
    Sports - Running, Cycling
    Size - Big and clunky
    HRM - Yes
    Battery life - 10 hours
    Features - Lots of options for advanced workouts, intervals, pace/time alerts,

Pro - Offers most of the features needed for amateur runners
    Cons - Ugly brute of a thing.

Garmin Forerunner 110

Price - STG£200 with HRM (STG£146 on amazon.co.uk)
    Sports - Running only
    Size - Small and neat ( girly version with pink stripe available)
    HRM - Some versions
    Features - No intervals, advanced workouts, alerts
    Battery life - 8 hours

Pros - Simple, offers pace/distance/time measurement with little complexity
    Cons - Limited features if your training gets more technical
    Cons - No real time pace info (average/lap pace only)

Garmin Forerunner 405

Price - STG£300 with HRM (STG£180 on amazon.co.uk)
    Sports - Running, cycling
    Size - Quite neat
    HRM - Some versions
    Features - Lots of options for advanced workouts, intervals, pace/time alerts,
    Battery life - 8 hours

Pros - Nicer looking than the 305
    Cons - More expensive than the 305
    Cons - Problematic Bezel
    Cons - Poor battery life

You'll get a 305 for under 200 quid, but it does look big and clunky.
    The 405 is more expensive, and
    uses a touch sensitive bezel (to give you virtual buttons) around the bezel of the watch. It works ok, but when it gets wet (think rain, sweat) it tends to go a little mad, and can be quite annoying. This can largely be worked around, by just locking the bezel before you start your run
    but looks like a normal watch.
    The 110 might be the right compromise for you.

RayCun wrote: »
    Krusty posted this comparison upthread
    Huskerdu did the work on that post.

The 405 is €187 from amazon at the moment, which is a decent price. Might be the best bet if you want something resembling a watch (it's still pretty big). As Ray mentioned, the bezel is problematic in wet weather, but you can work around it.

The 110 seems surprisingly cheap on Amazon at the moment (130 euro - but not sold by Amazon) but has less functionality that you might eventually grow into (intervals etc). You can still track your pace as you go, the watch just displays your average pace over a fixed distance, rather than you pace at a specific point in time. This is probably the most 'watch-like' watch, but comes at the cost of less functionality. Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Not Garmin - but who's up for GPS enabled goggles.
    ø precise GPS
    ø speedometer
    ø altimeter
    ø vertical odometer
    ø compass
    ø stopwatch
    ø USB connectivity

177031_main_HORIZONTAL_EMAIL.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

ME ME ME.

Can I get a HUD with the piste map on it as well?

• Advertisement

Huskerdu did the work on that post.

The 405 is €187 from amazon at the moment, which is a decent price. Might be the best bet if you want something resembling a watch (it's still pretty big). As Ray mentioned, the bezel is problematic in wet weather, but you can work around it.

The 110 seems surprisingly cheap on Amazon at the moment (130 euro - but not sold by Amazon) but has less functionality that you might eventually grow into (intervals etc). You can still track your pace as you go, the watch just displays your average pace over a fixed distance, rather than you pace at a specific point in time. This is probably the most 'watch-like' watch, but comes at the cost of less functionality. Hope that helps.

Thanks Guys. Think I'm going to see if Santa will bring me a 405 with HRM which is working out at just over €200 at the moment.

Do the prices fluctuate much? i.e. should Santa be ordering now.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭keano007

Hey guys I have decided (from te great advice on this thread) to get a garmin 405. I just have one question, if I get one without a HRM can it be added later? I already have a hrm strap with my edge 705 so would that work with this say

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/3030594/art/garmin/forerunner-405-gps-enable.html#tab-related-prod

or if not does anyone know of the beat place / cheapest place to buy one with or without the HRM

thanks for any help

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Thanks Guys. Think I'm going to see if Santa will bring me a 405 with HRM which is working out at just over €200 at the moment.

Do the prices fluctuate much? i.e. should Santa be ordering now.
    It wouldn't be any harm ordering now, as prices tend could go up a bit, in line with Xmas demand. The real fluctuation is on exchange rate though. Who knows what direction that will take. The dollar is very weak against the euro, so if you can order /pickup from the US you will save a good bit of money.

keano007 wrote: »
    Hey guys I have decided (from te great advice on this thread) to get a garmin 405. I just have one question, if I get one without a HRM can it be added later? I already have a hrm strap with my edge 705 so would that work with this say

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/3030594/art/garmin/forerunner-405-gps-enable.html#tab-related-prod

or if not does anyone know of the beat place / cheapest place to buy one with or without the HRM

thanks for any help
    Yes, I'm on my third HRM strap at this stage (having lost the first two). To be honest, the strap isn't great (I tend to get spikes at the start of all of my runs), but still like to have the data. Picked one up in Manhattan over the weekend for €22 (the original strap type). Oh and yes, I believe that your Edge HRM will work just fine with the 405.

As for where to buy it: It's hard to go wrong with amazon.co.uk. Many people have had bad experiences with Pixmania (though I've never had any issues myself).

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭MaroonTam

Hey guys,

Just looking for a bit of experience here.

I sent my 405 back to Garmin as the battery was running out very quickly.

Today, I received back a factory refurbished model (different serial number to the one I sent off). There was nothing in the return pack to explain why, or what was the issue with the old one.

Whilst I have no problems with this, if the refurbished model works (I will find out when I get it charged up), I was wondering if anyone had any experience with Garmin factory refurbish products?

thanks
    Alan

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I had troubles with my 305 a couple of months ago, sent it back and got a refurbished one (plus my broken one). It's working fine so far.

It wouldn't be any harm ordering now, as prices tend could go up a bit, in line with Xmas demand. The real fluctuation is on exchange rate though. Who knows what direction that will take. The dollar is very weak against the euro, so if you can order /pickup from the US you will save a good bit of money.

Hi Krusty,

Went to order is yesterday and it had gone up to 200 sterling. Looked on the US site and got one for €174 which I am shipping to a friend of mine coming home from the US next month.

Thanks for your help.

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Hi Krusty,

Went to order is yesterday and it had gone up to 200 sterling. Looked on the US site and got one for €174 which I am shipping to a friend of mine coming home from the US next month.
    Hmm. Seems like the Christmas price hike has started! There's no problems with buying from the US anyway. You might not get the euro plug attachment, but the watch charges from USB anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭emerald007

DOH! Forerunner 405 just froze on me last night. screen is stuck on 4.20:48 Sunday 14th. doesn't respond to any buttons or the bezel. Any ideas?

emerald007 wrote: »
    DOH! Forerunner 405 just froze on me last night. screen is stuck on 4.20:48 Sunday 14th. doesn't respond to any buttons or the bezel. Any ideas?
    Have you tried a hard reset?

1) Press and Hold down BOTH the Start/Stop and Lap/Reset Buttons (these are the two silver buttons on the right hand side)
    2) Keep these two buttons pressed in for 6 seconds and the screen will go blank
    3) Release the Start/Stop button (the top one) and continue to hold the Lap/Reset button for 3 additional seconds, then Release it
    4) Select ?YES? (Enter Button) to the prompt asking to clear user data
    5) This will erase ALL data and then guide you through all of the introductory menus once again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

Wow talk about good timing. My garmin froze this morning just as I was about to head out for a run. But that did the trick. Sorted thanks Krusty!

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭breakfast roll

Can anyone tell me where I can find a good selection of Garmin watches in the Dublin City Centre?

Can anyone tell me where I can find a good selection of Garmin watches in the Dublin City Centre?
    Well, if you insist on spending an extra couple of hundred euro, you could try:
    Runways, Wheelworx, Great Outdoors, Amphibian King (Bray), 53 Degrees North, IrishFit etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭breakfast roll

Well, if you insist on spending an extra couple of hundred euro, you could try:
    Runways, Wheelworx, Great Outdoors, Amphibian King (Bray), 53 Degrees North, IrishFit etc.

Thanks! Will be buying it online but just want to compare them in the flesh!

Thanks! Will be buying it online but just want to compare them in the flesh!
    In that case, Runways and Wheelworx seem to have a good selection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Is anyone else having problems with their garmin 405 of late. Over the last 7 runs or so it's acted up 4 times. Today being the latest, I did 5 miles but it only recorded 3.49. Very annoying.

Woddle wrote: »
    Is anyone else having problems with their garmin 405 of late. Over the last 7 runs or so it's acted up 4 times. Today being the latest, I did 5 miles but it only recorded 3.49. Very annoying.
    Give it a clean and try a hard reset maybe. It's unlikely that a few people would experience the same problem simultaneously. Adverse weather (particularly fine rain) can affect your signal, but only has a very minor impact, so it's more likely to be your watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭NiallG4

Currys in Newry are selling Garmin Forerunner for £109 stg. It was £89.99 last week on special offer. This is without HM but you can pick that up for €40. http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/r/garmin%20forerunner/0_0_0/

NiallG4 wrote: »
    Currys in Newry are selling Garmin Forerunner for £109 stg. It was £89.99 last week on special offer. This is without HM but you can pick that up for €40. http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/r/garmin%20forerunner/0_0_0/

Superb price. A real bargain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Anyone know if on a garmin 305, when in miles, if you can get it off feet and into metres run for a lap.

I always used km's and m, and would now like to use miles and metres. the idea of trying to work out how far im into a mile in feet isnt very appealing.

It seems to only let me use either metric or imperial not a cross

thanks

Advertisement