Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Megathread-Ask your questions here-See post 1 on how to search thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

NiallG4 wrote: »
    Currys in Newry are selling Garmin Forerunner for £109 stg. It was £89.99 last week on special offer. This is without HM but you can pick that up for €40. http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/r/garmin%20forerunner/0_0_0/

Thanks for that.

Hope my local store doesn't run out before I get round to them to pick up a replacement for my current one.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Anyone know if on a garmin 305, when in miles, if you can get it off feet and into metres run for a lap.

I always used km's and m, and would now like to use miles and metres. the idea of trying to work out how far im into a mile in feet isnt very appealing.

It seems to only let me use either metric or imperial not a cross

thanks
    Hi Kenny, it's metric or statute, not both! Picking and mixing is never a good idea (NASA learned the hard way!). I think you can have one measurement system for distance and another for altitude, but that's about all the choices you have. It doesn't give you feet anyway, it gives you % of a mile. So for example: 26.2 would be 26 miles and 2/10's of a mile (thought you'll rarely get a match that close in a marathon!).

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭D Chief

Looking for a recommendation:

I have done some running this year, I ran DCM in October in 4:18. My plan now is to try and improve at 10k distance and then try to do DCM 2011 in under 4 hrs. I have a bad knee, cartilege worn away from old injury and years of football and hurling, so I plan to do all my training on grass. Without GPS it is hard to know the distance run. Also, I have found I can't judge pace and always go off too fast.

Sports involved in/hope to participate in, in the future: Running and a bit of cycling
    Training practices/future potential (do you plan to use intervals/advanced workouts):
    Budget (How much are you willing to spend): 150 euro -ish
    Level of technical knowledge (happy with something that's complex or prefer to keep it very simple): Technically savvy. Complexity not a problem.
    Need a Heart rate Monitor? (some devices will not interface with external components): Not essential.
    Needs to be fully waterproof (rather than water resistant): No
    Have concerns about the size of the 205/305/310xt: No
    Have concerns about the bezel on the 405: What's the issue(s) with that?
    Have concerns about not having 'real time pace' statistics on the 110 (110 doesn't show actual pace, it shows average pace or lap pace): Would like to have real time pace
    Prefer to buy in a bricks and Mortar shop rather than over the internet: No, cheaper the better.
    Prefer not to have a Garmin watch (some other manufacturer): No brand preference

D Chief wrote: »
    Looking for a recommendation:

I have done some running this year, I ran DCM in October in 4:18. My plan now is to try and improve at 10k distance and then try to do DCM 2011 in under 4 hrs. I have a bad knee, cartilege worn away from old injury and years of football and hurling, so I plan to do all my training on grass. Without GPS it is hard to know the distance run. Also, I have found I can't judge pace and always go off too fast.

Sports involved in/hope to participate in, in the future: Running and a bit of cycling
    Training practices/future potential (do you plan to use intervals/advanced workouts):
    Budget (How much are you willing to spend): 150 euro -ish
    Level of technical knowledge (happy with something that's complex or prefer to keep it very simple): Technically savvy. Complexity not a problem.
    Need a Heart rate Monitor? (some devices will not interface with external components): Not essential.
    Needs to be fully waterproof (rather than water resistant): No
    Have concerns about the size of the 205/305/310xt: No
    Have concerns about the bezel on the 405: What's the issue(s) with that?
    Have concerns about not having 'real time pace' statistics on the 110 (110 doesn't show actual pace, it shows average pace or lap pace): Would like to have real time pace
    Prefer to buy in a bricks and Mortar shop rather than over the internet: No, cheaper the better.
    Prefer not to have a Garmin watch (some other manufacturer): No brand preference

Hi D Chief, sounds like a 405 would do the job for you, and if you look ^ a couple of posts up ^ you'll see a superb deal, if you'd be willing to travel up 'Norf to pick one up. You quite simply could not get better value than a 405 at £108 (sterling), which is about £10 cheaper than the older Garmin 305.

The problem with the bezel, is: sometimes if the watch gets quite wet (rain, sweat, fog etc) the bezel will get a bit screwy, and flip by itself between data screens. This can be avoided by simply locking the bezel (pressing the two hard buttons together simultaneously) and preventing the bezel from operating, until your run is done.

You could fork out an extra £10 and get the slightly older 305 from amazon.co.uk, which is significantly larger, but can display 4 data elements on the screen at a time (instead of the 405's 3 data items) and has a longer battery life (20 hours instead of 8 (theoretical). Hope that helps.

Hi D Chief, sounds like a 405 would do the job for you, and if you look ^ a couple of posts up ^ you'll see a superb deal, if you'd be willing to travel up 'Norf to pick one up. You quite simply could not get better value than a 405 at £108 (sterling), which is about £10 cheaper than the older Garmin 305.

Thanks for that.

I tried to buy a 405 on Currys website. It doesn't allow Home Delivery and when I select the Collect option and check availability it says 'Sorry! This item is not in stock at any of our stores near you'. I have tried entering postcodes for Newry, Belfast, Enniskillen, Yorkshire (I have a sister over there), Newcastle, Cheltenham, Luton and get the same sorry message each time. I wonder is the availability anywhere...

Looks like I will have to decide between the 305 and 405 on amazon.co.uk, unless there is somewhere else cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Thanks for that.

I tried to buy a 405 on Currys website. It doesn't allow Home Delivery and when I select the Collect option and check availability it says 'Sorry! This item is not in stock at any of our stores near you'. I have tried entering postcodes for Newry, Belfast, Enniskillen, Yorkshire (I have a sister over there), Newcastle, Cheltenham, Luton and get the same sorry message each time. I wonder is the availability anywhere...

Looks like I will have to decide between the 305 and 405 on amazon.co.uk, unless there is somewhere else cheaper.

I checked my local one online the other day and it did say in stock, then I completely forgot about it and now no postcode I enter shows it as being in stock. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ballbag14

thinking of buyin a garmin forerunner should i buy 305 or 405 , many conflicting reviews , help

ballbag14 wrote: »
    thinking of buyin a garmin forerunner should i buy 305 or 405 , many conflicting reviews , help

You look like more of a 305-type person. :)

Fill this out and we'll profile you:
    1. Sports involved in/hope to participate in, in the future: (Running/swimming/cycling):
    2. Training practices/future potential (do you plan to use intervals/advanced workouts)
    3. Budget (How much are you willing to spend):
    4. Level of technical knowledge (happy with something that's complex or prefer to keep it very simple):
    5. Need a Heart rate Monitor? (some devices will not interface with external components):
    6. Needs to be fully waterproof (rather than water resistant):
    7. Have concerns about the size of the 205/305/310xt:
    8. Have concerns about the bezel on the 405:
    9. Have concerns about not having 'real time pace' statistics on the 110 (110 doesn't show actual pace, it shows average pace or lap pace):
    10. Prefer to buy in a bricks and Mortar shop rather than over the internet:
    11. Prefer not to have a Garmin watch (some other manufacturer):

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

Would like some advice on which Garmin to get. I've been running for a while but my pace is quite slow so I've decided to try incorporating some speed and hill work and I think a Garmin would help with that. Also I like gadgets :o I'm leaning towards the Garmin 305 mainly because of my budget but also some concerns about battery life on the 405. I was hoping I'd be able to use it with my netbook (which runs ubuntu) but it looks like getting it to work with Linux is not trivial. That's not a major issue though.

1. Sports involved in/hope to participate in, in the future: (Running/swimming/cycling): running
    2. Training practices/future potential (do you plan to use intervals/advanced workouts) nothing very advanced but some intervals/speed work. Mostly I'd like something that tells me my pace during training and when I've dropped below my target pace.
    3. Budget (How much are you willing to spend): around €140 I guess - I see the 305 is around €127 (inc vat) on amazon so maybe that answers my question :p
    4. Level of technical knowledge (happy with something that's complex or prefer to keep it very simple): complexity isn't a problem really
    5. Need a Heart rate Monitor? (some devices will not interface with external components): would prefer one
    6. Needs to be fully waterproof (rather than water resistant):no
    7. Have concerns about the size of the 205/305/310xt: no
    8. Have concerns about the bezel on the 405: yes
    9. Have concerns about not having 'real time pace' statistics on the 110 (110 doesn't show actual pace, it shows average pace or lap pace): yes.
    10. Prefer to buy in a bricks and Mortar shop rather than over the internet: don't mind, whatever is cheaper!
    11. Prefer not to have a Garmin watch (some other manufacturer): no preference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Hi guys,

I got my new 405 last week and tested it out on sunday. Transmitted my run to the connect site everything fine.

Went out last night again and tried to transmit again. Came up on the watch that the transmission was successfull but there is no information on the site.

I tried several times again but it looks like it is not being picked up because it sees the information as being transmitted already.

Any ideas what happened and how I can transmit my information again?

• Advertisement

hollypink wrote: »
    Would like some advice on which Garmin to get. I've been running for a while but my pace is quite slow so I've decided to try incorporating some speed and hill work and I think a Garmin would help with that. Also I like gadgets :o I'm leaning towards the Garmin 305 mainly because of my budget but also some concerns about battery life on the 405. I was hoping I'd be able to use it with my netbook (which runs ubuntu) but it looks like getting it to work with Linux is not trivial. That's not a major issue though.

1. Sports involved in/hope to participate in, in the future: (Running/swimming/cycling): running
    2. Training practices/future potential (do you plan to use intervals/advanced workouts) nothing very advanced but some intervals/speed work. Mostly I'd like something that tells me my pace during training and when I've dropped below my target pace.
    3. Budget (How much are you willing to spend): around €140 I guess - I see the 305 is around €127 (inc vat) on amazon so maybe that answers my question :p
    4. Level of technical knowledge (happy with something that's complex or prefer to keep it very simple): complexity isn't a problem really
    5. Need a Heart rate Monitor? (some devices will not interface with external components): would prefer one
    6. Needs to be fully waterproof (rather than water resistant):no
    7. Have concerns about the size of the 205/305/310xt: no
    8. Have concerns about the bezel on the 405: yes
    9. Have concerns about not having 'real time pace' statistics on the 110 (110 doesn't show actual pace, it shows average pace or lap pace): yes.
    10. Prefer to buy in a bricks and Mortar shop rather than over the internet: don't mind, whatever is cheaper!
    11. Prefer not to have a Garmin watch (some other manufacturer): no preference

Hi HollyPink, if you think that the 305 is the right watch for you, then you are mostlikely correct. The only negative points with regard to the 305 (in comparison to other models) are:
    1) Size - It is quite a large watch. This is more of a concern for those with slender wrists. Be assured the 305 will never get confused with a normal watch! If you have concerns, go visit a bricks and mortar shop and try one one for size.
    2) It doesn't have wireless data transfrer. I really don't see that as a disadvantage, as my watch is usually stores 4 inches from my laptop anyway, in order to allow it to charge. Also, if you're trying to manage data transfer via Ubuntu (which I haven't done) then wired (rather than wireless) might be a more straightforward proposition!

That's all I got! There are lots of advantages, including (briefly): More data fields on the screen, longer battery life, bread-crumb trails, customisable data point capture frequency.

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I got my new 405 last week and tested it out on sunday. Transmitted my run to the connect site everything fine.

Went out last night again and tried to transmit again. Came up on the watch that the transmission was successfull but there is no information on the site.

I tried several times again but it looks like it is not being picked up because it sees the information as being transmitted already.

Hi pistol_75, not sure what's gone wrong, but if you have set the options in ANT agent to delete the data from the watch after upload, then after it has transferred the activity it will remove it from the watch. If you go into the activity history on the watch and can still see the details, then it hasn't been deleted/removed. In this case, you can do a 'force send' on the watch.

If the activity has been removed from watch but not transmitted you can search for it on your laptop or computer. Search for any files with the .TCX extension. If you're running Windows 7, it'll be stored in the following location:
    C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Roaming\GARMIN\Devices\<your device number>\History
    The activity will have the following format:
    2010-11-20-135535.TCX
    Year-Month-Date-HourMinuteSecond.TCX

Once you have located the file, you can then perform a manual upload to Garmin Connect.

As to why the communication failed, it's hard to say without any additional information. It might be an authentication problem between the ANT agent and the Garmin Connect website. I think that if you delete the file:
    C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Roaming\GARMIN\Devices\<your device number>\GCAuthorizationKey.bin
    Then the next time you try to upload it will re-authenticate to Garmin Connect. Best to make a copy of this file before you delete it!

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭breakfast roll

Might sound like a very stupid question... but is the heart rate monitoring for the Garmin 305 built into the watch or seperate??

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

You wear a HRM strap around your chest, and it sends data to the watch.

Hi pistol_75, not sure what's gone wrong, but if you have set the options in ANT agent to delete the data from the watch after upload, then after it has transferred the activity it will remove it from the watch. If you go into the activity history on the watch and can still see the details, then it hasn't been deleted/removed. In this case, you can do a 'force send' on the watch.

If the activity has been removed from watch but not transmitted you can search for it on your laptop or computer. Search for any files with the .TCX extension. If you're running Windows 7, it'll be stored in the following location:
    C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Roaming\GARMIN\Devices\<your device number>\History
    The activity will have the following format:
    2010-11-20-135535.TCX
    Year-Month-Date-HourMinuteSecond.TCX

Once you have located the file, you can then perform a manual upload to Garmin Connect.

As to why the communication failed, it's hard to say without any additional information. It might be an authentication problem between the ANT agent and the Garmin Connect website. I think that if you delete the file:
    C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Roaming\GARMIN\Devices\<your device number>\GCAuthorizationKey.bin
    Then the next time you try to upload it will re-authenticate to Garmin Connect. Best to make a copy of this file before you delete it!

Thanks Krusty_Clown. I still have the information on the watch. How do I perform a forced send.

Sorry for all the new user queries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

This happens to me quite a bit. The Info goes from the watch to the antstick but does not upload into garmin comnnect (I know it has gone from the watch as I have it set up to delete once it is uploaded).

The solution is simple. Just log into Garmin Connect while the ant stick connected a USB port and press 'upload' (top right corner in Garmin Connect). It will search for any activities not uploaded and upload them. I often have to press upload a few times before it finds the missing activity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Really getting pissed off with my 405, it just keeps freezing or stopping the run and returning to the clock, 3 times in the last 2 runs. I've done the small reset and the full reset and gave the watch a little clean, really annoying me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Hi
    Probably a stupid question... but... are all garmin heart rate monitors compatible with the forerunner 110 or is there a specific one. Bought the watch but not the heart rate monitor and was recommended to pick up a heart rate monitor for the training i will be doing.

Any of the Garmin HRM's will work with any of their watches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Thanks robinph.... knew it was a stupid question :o

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    This happens to me quite a bit. The Info goes from the watch to the antstick but does not upload into garmin comnnect (I know it has gone from the watch as I have it set up to delete once it is uploaded).

The solution is simple. Just log into Garmin Connect while the ant stick connected a USB port and press 'upload' (top right corner in Garmin Connect). It will search for any activities not uploaded and upload them. I often have to press upload a few times before it finds the missing activity.

Thanks. This worked a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Was over a mile in to a run today when I realised my FR305 was on Bike mode. I changed to Run and now have a multi-sport entry in Training Center. Is it possible to edit the data to make it a Run session rather than multi-sport? Cheers.

P.

<cough - previously posted using my pseudonym - Emer911>

Sounds like you both have an activity that is stuck in your queue, that may not be processing correctly. Try deleting all of the files in this folder:

After that it should transfer them automatically. Make a backup of the folder before deleting the files if there are any runs / activities that haven't transferred over.

pgibbo wrote: »
    Was over a mile in to a run today when I realised my FR305 was on Bike mode. I changed to Run and now have a multi-sport entry in Training Center. Is it possible to edit the data to make it a Run session rather than multi-sport? Cheers.

P.
    I'm sure you could, but it would involve lots of hacking around the XML file, and would probably take a good bit of work. Best to just ignore it!

You can change the activity type whenever you want (as long as it's not a multi-sport entry), once it has been uploaded to Garmin Connect (or Training Centre) so I wouldn't bother changing it 'on the hoof'.

My Garmin 405 arrived in the post (from amazon.co.uk) on Thursday, so I took it for a test run yesterday. Took a bit of time to find satelites at the start. In future I will turn on training mode while I am driving to the park. While I was runnign I found I couldn't get it to change screens; I was wearing woolly gloves. I will, in future, just use it one screen with time, distance and pace or avg. pace, until it is warm enough for me to run without gloves. Also, At the end of my run, I pressed the lap button instead of the start/stop, so my stats were somewhat ruined by it counting about a minute of walking.

I am running the Jingle Bells 5k next Saturday, so will hopefully be ok with the watch by then. I will still wear my everyday timex digital.

One small question: there are fields for pace and for speed. What is the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

One small question: there are fields for pace and for speed. What is the difference?

Congrats on the purchase, it takes a little getting used to but is well worth it. The bezel won't work with gloves on afaik - similar to touchscreen phone...

As for pace and speed:
    Pace is the number of minutes and seconds taken for a mile (or km)
    Speed is the number of miles (or km) per hour that you are running

IMO, pace is a far more useful measurement. I only use one screen while running, with time, current lap pace and distance on it, that works for me.

My Garmin 405 arrived in the post (from amazon.co.uk) on Thursday, so I took it for a test run yesterday. Took a bit of time to find satelites at the start. In future I will turn on training mode while I am driving to the park. While I was runnign I found I couldn't get it to change screens; I was wearing woolly gloves. I will, in future, just use it one screen with time, distance and pace or avg. pace, until it is warm enough for me to run without gloves. Also, At the end of my run, I pressed the lap button instead of the start/stop, so my stats were somewhat ruined by it counting about a minute of walking.

I am running the Jingle Bells 5k next Saturday, so will hopefully be ok with the watch by then. I will still wear my everyday timex digital.

The first time you use the watch (or if you use it from another country, or use it for the first time in a while) it needs to download the latest GPS almanac, which includes data about satellite availability, orbital paths etc. You'll find that you'll pick up on satellites a lot quicker if you keep the watch stationary. It takes a good bit longer if moving. Usually I'll turn on GPS and put it on satellite view, before I get ready to run (e.g. tying shoe laces, setting up mp3 player and all that stuff).

It's probably better to stick with one data screen too, particularly in this weather!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 tri3

I've recently had a problem when trying to charge my Garmin Forerunner 305. When I plug it in now, there is no message coming up on it to say that 'Charging is in progress'.

Initially it was showing the message that it was charging but when I tried to switch it on, it would only stay on for a few seconds before turning off. That was even after the watch said that 'Charging was complete'.

And now it's not charging at all. Anyone any ideas?

(It was bought in Oct 2008 and never had a charging problem before).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Nules10 wrote: »
    Thanks robinph.... knew it was a stupid question :o

how much would you give for one ?.i use the polar for HR....

My 405 is all set up in miles etc etc but my pace is per km. I know its a simple thing but can anyone help me out please ?

• Advertisement

how much would you give for one ?.i use the polar for HR....

My 405 is all set up in miles etc etc but my pace is per km. I know its a simple thing but can anyone help me out please ?
    What are you looking for VR? Did you want to switch the 405 to report everything in kms?

Advertisement