Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Megathread-Ask your questions here-See post 1 on how to search thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

What are you looking for VR? Did you want to switch the 405 to report everything in kms?
    Hany if you knew i suppose. I want to change the pace from kms to miles so its all on miles......ta.......

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Hany if you knew i suppose. I want to change the pace from kms to miles so its all on miles......ta.......

I would'a thunk that if distance was recorded in miles, then pace would also be recorded in miles. Anyway, this is how you can check:

Hold the bottom of the bezel to go into: [Menu]
    Select [Settings]
    Select [System]
    Select [Units]
    Change it to: Statute

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

I would'a thunk that if distance was recorded in miles, then pace would also be recorded in miles. Anyway, this is how you can check:

Hold the bottom of the bezel to go into: [Menu]
    Select [Settings]
    Select [System]
    Select [Units]
    Change it to: Statute

cheers. units was in statute but i realised the pace/speed was in metric. learn something new every day i suppose. see you signed up for two oceans you mad c8888. Ta.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,998 ✭✭✭opus

Fyi Garmin Connect had a message up for me this evening saying there was a firmware upgrade for my 310xt, anyway I left it off & looks to have done the upgrade fine. Took me a while to track down what difference it makes, list is below. Don't think I'll notice any of them tbh.
    Changes made from version 2.90 to 3.00:
    • Implemented support for speed zones. The user cannot view or edit on the device, but speed zones can be sent from Garmin Training Center or Garmin Connect and then used in workouts.
    • Fixed various issues with workouts showing wrong units in steps.
    • Added new data fields: Vertical Speed - 30 second average, 3 second power, 30 second power, %FTP power and max speed.
    • Fixed issue with GPS taking precedence over GSC10 for speed/distance even indoors

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭NiallG4

Lads,
    I have the 405 and I registered last week and my first 8 runs uploaded no problem. I put in the ant stick this morning and clicked on upload. It said on screen device found however it said no new activities found. Anybody know what to do

• Advertisement

NiallG4 wrote: »
    Lads,
    I have the 405 and I registered last week and my first 8 runs uploaded no problem. I put in the ant stick this morning and clicked on upload. It said on screen device found however it said no new activities found. Anybody know what to do
    Did you plug it into a different USB Port? Usually you need to install device drivers for each port. Try plugging it into the same port you plugged it into the previous time.

Are there new activities on the watch?

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭NiallG4

I rang Garmin in England and he sorted it out over the phone

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭ir666

hello all.

My forerunner 305 and heart rate strap are not talking to each other.

I tried a settings>heart monitor>restart scan but no success.

I opened the battery and examined the contact.

Tried the scan again but no good.

Perhaps I need a new batt.

Any other ideas?

Thanks.

ir666 wrote: »
    Any other ideas?
    Try a new battery (or try to pair someone else's HR monitor (or pair your HRM to someone else's watch), but mostly the battery idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

My footpod has stopped working today after a wet slushy run yesterday... anyone know how 'waterproof' they are? New style 'micro' one... used in a nike+ runner

• Advertisement

mloc123 wrote: »
    My footpod has stopped working today after a wet slushy run yesterday... anyone know how 'waterproof' they are? New style 'micro' one... used in a nike+ runner
    It's listed in the technical specs in the manual. If it's the one that ships with a FR50/FR60 then it's 10m.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

It's listed in the technical specs in the manual. If it's the one that ships with a FR50/FR60 then it's 10m.

Turns out I'm an idiot, as I emptied my bag earlier I found my footpod in the bottom. No wonder it wasn't working earlier :pac:

mloc123 wrote: »
    Turns out I'm an idiot, as I emptied my bag earlier I found my footpod in the bottom. No wonder it wasn't working earlier :pac:
    :D Classic!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 spamshine

Afternoon all,

Was about to order a 405CX from Amazon but then I saw the 410 on Garmin's website.

Anyone know when this will be available or where in Europe? Claims to have fixed the bezel isues,

Cheers

spamshine wrote: »
    Anyone know when this will be available or where in Europe? Claims to have fixed the bezel isues,
    The real question is - what new problems they will have introduced?
    I personally wouldn't be bothered paying an extra $150 for a bug-fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Murraythree

Just purchased garmin 305 (thanks to robinph's advise re amazon, cheers). One feature I am looking for is %max heart rate which is a feature in the 405. Spent ages searching for it and wondering if someone could please help me.

Just purchased garmin 305 (thanks to robinph's advise re amazon, cheers). One feature I am looking for is %max heart rate which is a feature in the 405. Spent ages searching for it and wondering if someone could please help me.
    This rather useful page lists all of the data fields on the Forerunner 305. Unlike the 405, 310xt etc., tt doesn't include a HR % of max.

This rather useful page lists all of the data fields on the Forerunner 305. Unlike the 405, 310xt etc., tt doesn't include a HR % of max.

Thanks Krusty, very useful info surely. Wish I had this useful page sooner! Thats what I get for not doing my homework.

Thanks Krusty, very useful info surely. Wish I had this useful page sooner! Thats what I get for not doing my homework.
    It's not such a big deal. If you figure out what your %max HR is, you can just use a field likeorand make sure that your heart rate is below this figure.

It's not such a big deal. If you figure out what your %max HR is, you can just use a field likeorand make sure that your heart rate is below this figure.

Thanks Krusty. Will have to use average HR and work from there. % max HR is very handy for turbo sessions when working in a range of different HR zones.
    I prefer the fact that the 305 has four data fields in comparision to 3 on 405 and find 305 easier to read when running. Still I wish garmin would design a watch that was a better fit for those of us with small wrists. Cheers again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Still I wish garmin would design a watch that was a better fit for those of us with small wrists. Cheers again.

I feel ya! I have baby sized fingers / wrists / ribcage.
    • When I bought my wedding ring the jeweller said it was the smallest one she'd ever sold.
    • Every watch I've ever owned had to have numerous links taken out or they fall off my wrist.
    • I have to buy my bra's on-line because the high street shops don't stock my back size (trust me-that's a real bummer :rolleyes:)
    • I can't wear any HRM strap as they always end up around my waist after 5 minutes running.

I have a 405. It looks like I'm wearing my daddy's watch. Not very comfortable either as it tends to 'slide' around unless I wear it over my jacket, which is fine at the moment, but not great during the summer...

I'm kinda resigned to my plight at this point, but if Garmin did produce something for the smaller wrist, then I'd be queueing to pick one up!

Thought I was bad but at least I dont need the jacket sleeve!! That's a right nuisance.
    Emer911 wrote: »
    I can't wear any HRM strap as they always end up around my waist after 5 minutes running.

This really made me laugh. I have given up wearing HRM strap during races as I spend more time fidgeting with strap, must look like a seriously nervous runner!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Has anyone bought the garmin forerunner 210?

I was caught between the 405 and 110 until i saw that they had the new 210 out. The only thing is that the 210 is actually more expensive that the 405:eek:

I rather the look of the new 210 and in honesty all i want it for is distance/HR/interval/time so it fits my needs perfectly. None of the shops in my area however have it yet so im just wondering has anyone bought one, what do they think of it and how big is it compared to the 405.

I disliked the 405 as i felt it was too big and clumpy. The 110 was a much better fit and this alone was vering me towards the 110. Is the 210 closer in size to the 110 than the 405??

Cheers for any help/info.

I disliked the 405 as i felt it was too big and clumpy. The 110 was a much better fit and this alone was vering me towards the 110. Is the 210 closer in size to the 110 than the 210??
    You mean is it closer in size to the 110 than the 405, right? Supposedly, it is, which is one of the selling points (along with the fact that it doesn't use a bezel). I'd say you'l have to order from the UK if you want one this side of xmas (and pay a nice hefty price too).

You mean is it closer in size to the 110 than the 405, right? Supposedly, it is, which is one of the selling points (along with the fact that it doesn't use a bezel). I'd say you'l have to order from the UK if you want one this side of xmas (and pay a nice hefty price too).

Hey Krusty,

Ya thats exactly what i meant:Dtyping too fast for my brain again.

It looks so far like the UK is the only option for it at a price of about 270euro:eek:
    I can get the 110 for 160euro without the HR strap( i already have one for my 705) so paying an extra 110 euro for an updated version of the 110 is a bit excessive. The main feature i want on the watch however is the interval training and this is not on the 110 but is on the 210.

IMO the 210 is a rip off but saying that my girlfriend needs to get me something for christmas so this could just be it:D

Hey Krusty,

Ya thats exactly what i meant:Dtyping too fast for my brain again.

It looks so far like the UK is the only option for it at a price of about 270euro:eek:
    I can get the 110 for 160euro without the HR strap( i already have one for my 705) so paying an extra 110 euro for an updated version of the 110 is a bit excessive. The main feature i want on the watch however is the interval training and this is not on the 110 but is on the 210.

IMO the 210 is a rip off but saying that my girlfriend needs to get me something for christmas so this could just be it:D
    Would you not consider getting a 405, and buying the soft strap? I assume (open to correction) that interval training on the 210 can be set-up on the watch only (instead of via advanced training options from Garmin Training Centre). I find the watch based setup a little inflexible.

As always, if you can buy from the US and get it delivered, you'll find the prices are a lot more competitive. Check out amazon.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

Emer911 wrote: »
    I have a 405. It looks like I'm wearing my daddy's watch. Not very comfortable either as it tends to 'slide' around unless I wear it over my jacket, which is fine at the moment, but not great during the summer...

I'm kinda resigned to my plight at this point, but if Garmin did produce something for the smaller wrist, then I'd be queueing to pick one up!

I have very thin wrists - I tried on the 405 with the hard and soft straps and there was no way I could wear it - much too big and it moves around and digs into my wrist bones. I didn't try it over a jacket though - that may have worked!

Instead I bought a 110 which still looks ridiculously big but is much more comfortable and narrower-fitting. I know it lacks the functionality of the 405 but I like it!

Would you not consider getting a 405, and buying the soft strap? I assume (open to correction) that interval training on the 210 can be set-up on the watch only (instead of via advanced training options from Garmin Training Centre). I find the watch based setup a little inflexible.

As always, if you can buy from the US and get it delivered, you'll find the prices are a lot more competitive. Check out amazon.com.
    runrabbit wrote: »
    I have very thin wrists - I tried on the 405 with the hard and soft straps and there was no way I could wear it - much too big and it moves around and digs into my wrist bones. I didn't try it over a jacket though - that may have worked!

Instead I bought a 110 which still looks ridiculously big but is much more comfortable and narrower-fitting. I know it lacks the functionality of the 405 but I like it!

I have tried the 405 on too and also found it to be very big and uncomfortable. I dont think i would like running with it on. Its gonna have to be the 210 i think, only if i can get it for around the 200euro mark though. Its $300 in the states, £240 in the uk:eek:cant find a retailer in ireland with it but im guessing it would be expensive.
    I have a friend in the US so maybe i can get him to get it for me so i can give it to my girlfriend and then she can give it back to me for christmas:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

I was looking at the 405 and there's one listed on the Amazon website that comes with a USB ANT stick. Is this needed?

• Advertisement

I was looking at the 405 and there's one listed on the Amazon website that comes with a USB ANT stick. Is this needed?
    The USB ANT stick is the mechanism that the watch uses to upload data to your computer, so if you plan on manipulating the data on your computer afterwards (to record your run, or see where you went and how long it took you), then yes you need it. They all come with a USB ANT stick anyway; don't think you can buy one without it.

Advertisement