Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Megathread-Ask your questions here-See post 1 on how to search thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

The missus got me a 405CX for Chrimbo! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Merry Christmas everyone! I hope Santa was good :P

Myself, I got plenty of money for christmas (my favourite :P), so I'm thinking I might buy myself a gps watch; I'm considering it an investment and yet another incentive to get my arse out the door to run :pac:. Haven't a clue where to start though... Thoughts?

EDIT: Both the Garmin 205 and Garmin 305 are super cheap on Amazon at the moment. Don't particularly need a HRM or multi-sport functionality from a watch, so I'm thinking the 205 might be perfect for me at the mo.

I got a 305 a few months ago and I love it. Really helps me set goals and measure my performance against those goals - I do love measuring things.

The 205 seems to be have exactly the same functionality as the 305 except the HRM and the bike attachment.

Thety both have all the featues you are likely to need unless the triathlon bug hits you, but that is probably a few years away....

Both those prices on Amazon at the moment are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Rawhead wrote: »
    Hello All,
    Just got my new 405cx from santa. There is a half marathon schedule on RW that I want to upload but don't understand how.RW Half-Marathon Schedules For Your Garmin - Racing - Runner's World.
    Anyone able to help?
    Happy Christmas to all.
    You need to install Garmin Training Centre. It's a Windows/Mac application that you can download from the Garmin Website. From the [File] menu, choose [Import] and [Workouts]. It's all pretty clearly explained on the Runner's World site where you downloaded the program, so I'd read through that first, and if you have any problems or questions, then send them on.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

huskerdu wrote: »
    I got a 305 a few months ago and I love it. Really helps me set goals and measure my performance against those goals - I do love measuring things.

The 205 seems to be have exactly the same functionality as the 305 except the HRM and the bike attachment.

Thety both have all the featues you are likely to need unless the triathlon bug hits you, but that is probably a few years away....

Both those prices on Amazon at the moment are great.

Sweet. I've decided on the 205 anyway. Can't wait til it arrives :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

Got 205 for christmas. Wore it yesterday and delighted I got it, great to have a good ideaof distance. Now snow/ice almost gone hopefully I can get good idea of speed (or lack of) :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

Hi guys some info below on what im looking for.

Im looking at this at the minute:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0012XQ7CO/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1YKA6YAMRAQ69MPGT6KA&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128533&pf_rd_i=468294

Does anyone have the 405 in green? Its a bit cheaper? It cant be that horrible looking?

Any advise appreciated.

Training practices/future potential (do you plan to use intervals/advanced workouts): At the moment no, but I suppose i will be progressing to intervals etc at some stage...

Budget (How much are you willing to spend): €200 max

Level of technical knowledge (happy with something that's complex or prefer to keep it very simple): Not overly complex but I can turn on a computer!

Need a Heart rate Monitor? (some devices will not interface with external components): Yes but can always buy at a later point

Needs to be fully waterproof (rather than water resistant): No but i want to make sure rain wont affect it

Have concerns about the size of the 205/305/310xt: Realistically yes, i dont want a laptop on my arm.

Have concerns about the bezel on the 405: Seem to be easily fixed by locking the bezel?

Have concerns about not having 'real time pace' statistics on the 110 (110 doesn't show actual pace, it shows average pace or lap pace): Real time preferrably

Prefer to buy in a bricks and Mortar shop rather than over the internet: Internet - cheap and cheerful.

I don't think the colour makes a massive amount of difference to be honest, as the 405 is too bulky to wear as an everyday watch anyway, so the green version shouldn't have too much of an impact.

The only thing you really need to know is that the battery life on a 405 is typically somewhere between 6 and 7 hours before requiring a recharge, so if you're thinking about adventure races of greater duration, then the 305 might be worth considering (approximately 18 hours battery life).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

The Garmin Forerunner 305 GPS Receiver With Heart Rate Monitor is $129 on Amazon. Can this be used to track runners via GPS? (e.g me running a marathon and someone else can see where I am via a smartphone or GPS). Thanks. :)

Ruu wrote: »
    The Garmin Forerunner 305 GPS Receiver With Heart Rate Monitor is $129 on Amazon. Can this be used to track runners via GPS? (e.g me running a marathon and someone else can see where I am via a smartphone or GPS). Thanks. :)
    Nope. Doesn't support real-time data transmission. Essentially when you finish your run, you upload the GPS data to your computer. GPS watches are for giving you real-time data and analyzing the data afterwards. There are some devices that offer real time tracking, but they tend to be very expensive. Some marathons will now rent them to you for the duration of the event, but I've only seen it mentioned once or twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭madon

I got a got a got a Garmin- too lazy to read instructions I'm hoping time and pressing buttons will teach me.
    I've already figured that if I press start 30 mins before I actually start running my speed zone is at a slow walk:o :D
    Is there any essentials that I really really need to know about the 305?

• Advertisement

madon wrote: »
    I got a got a got a Garmin- too lazy to read instructions I'm hoping time and pressing buttons will teach me.
    I've already figured that if I press start 30 mins before I actually start running my speed zone is at a slow walk:o :D
    Is there any essentials that I really really need to know about the 305?
    Yes, lots. You won't get value out of it unless you read the manual, or get someone to show you the ropes.
    Maybe you should send it back, and get the Forerunner 110 (press and go).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

They've really good garmin discounts on Amazon at the minute

Without heart rate strap
    With

The older Garmins have serious discounts on them too.

Cheers- I don't think my OH would be too impressed if I sent back his present!
    This might seem a stupid question- But can two people use the same watch and record there workouts separate? I know I've entered my profile onto the training center but if we keep changing the profile from mine to his would it work?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

I exported it, and the file is tiny, so it only seems to contain lap info, rather than real-time trackpoints. Check to see if your watch memory is full. Try clearing out old activities.

That worked Krusty, thanks.

I got out for a run and a cycle yesterday and both are showing up sound on the garmin connect site.

Thanks for your help.

Macanri wrote: »
    Very good value. At three or four euro more than Amazon.co.uk I'd prefer to buy locally and take advantage of the benefits of a brick and mortar shop. See if they'll let you pick it up, to save on postage and gain instant gratification!

madon wrote: »
    Cheers- I don't think my OH would be too impressed if I sent back his present!
    This might seem a stupid question- But can two people use the same watch and record there workouts separate? I know I've entered my profile onto the training center but if we keep changing the profile from mine to his would it work?
    Yep, I used to share my 405 with the boss, until I got too annoyed and bought her her own for her birthday.

I didn't bother messing with profiles. I just created a new folder in Training Center, and any time one of her activities uploaded I would hide it out of the way carefully locate it in her sub-folder.

Garmin Connect can be quite messy. If you're planning on using it, I would turn off automatic uploads, and only upload when you're logged into your own profile. Or else share a profile and find a way of filtering activities for each user (e.g. put your name in your activity description, or use a different sport type).

Guess what just arrived? My 205! I wasn't expecting it til next week.

tumblr_leapuqj4sw1qeph0yo1_500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Guess what just arrived? My 205! I wasn't expecting it til next week.

tumblr_leapuqj4sw1qeph0yo1_500.jpg

Great news. That means you have to go out for a run to try it out.
    Can't leave it sitting in the box all lonely and unused , while you go and drink too much tonight and have a hangover tomorrow. ( Have I made you feel guilty yet....)

Enjoy

huskerdu wrote: »
    Great news. That means you have to go out for a run to try it out.
    Can't leave it sitting in the box all lonely and unused , while you go and drink too much tonight and have a hangover tomorrow. ( Have I made you feel guilty yet....)

Enjoy

Nope, I just went out for a mile run to test it. So there :P

Obligatory proof picture:

tumblr_leaz9pbfTp1qeph0yo1_500.jpg

Now I'll leave before I spam this thread with how excited I am :D

• Advertisement

I didn't bother messing with profiles. I just created a new folder in Training Center, and any time one of her activities uploaded I would hide it out of the way carefully locate it in her sub-folder.

Thanks- I told himself that we both could use it- he looked horrified:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭chez-moi

Krusty et all, does anyone know if you can revert from Bing maps back to Google maps in garmin connect. I have had a good look and don't see anything obvious.

chez-moi wrote: »
    Krusty et all, does anyone know if you can revert from Bing maps back to Google maps in garmin connect. I have had a good look and don't see anything obvious.
    Not a chance. However, I thought they were now using the same maps as Google (provided by NavTeq) so the only difference should be the rendering engine. No?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

Thanks Krusty for the help in sorting out my 405. I have it up and running and even managed to upload the 12week program from RW. Just a quick question to finish, the start date I have entered for the program is 24/01/2011, will the workout appear only on that date and do i just select "do workout". (final, final question, is the system advanced enough to tell me the times to run at like the program dictates or is it just a distance guide)
    Thanks again Krusty

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I use a footpod with my 310xt for cadence, it seems to have stopped working as it should over the last week. See recorded data below. Any ideas? Pair it again with the watch, can they be reset etc..?

Rawhead wrote: »
    Thanks Krusty for the help in sorting out my 405. I have it up and running and even managed to upload the 12week program from RW. Just a quick question to finish, the start date I have entered for the program is 24/01/2011, will the workout appear only on that date and do i just select "do workout". (final, final question, is the system advanced enough to tell me the times to run at like the program dictates or is it just a distance guide)
    Thanks again Krusty
    Typically what happens when you upload a program is:
    1) All the necessary activities will be uploaded to your watch
    2) Those activities will get scheduled on your watch

So what happens is on the 24/1/11 you will unlock your watch, and the watch will alert you that you have to do a specific workout (which will have been uploaded to the watch). I don't tend to use this functionality, as I find it too inflexible, e.g. if you want to re-arrange your schedule etc.

What I would generally do is upload the necessary activities, and on the specific day manually launch the appropriate workout. if you find that the scheduling piece doesn't work for you, you can still kick off any of the workouts manually.

Speed/Pace on the Garmin is another dodgy area. Typically you will use either Garmin Connect or Garmin training Centre to set up speed or heart Rate 'zones'. So for example, you might set the SPRINT zone to 20km/hr to 30km/hr, etc. etc. The watch will then beep to alert you if you are not in the appropriate zone as dictated within the workout (letting you know if are above or below the pace zone). Best thing to do is go and have a look at the RW workouts in Garmin Training Centre and see how these have been set up. If they dictate something like:
    Run until I cover a certain distance = 2 miles at a specific speed = FAST RUNNING
    then you will need to set up the speed zones in Garmin Training Centre for it to work correctly. Hope I haven't confused you too much! I don't have GTC running on this PC, or the RW programs, so I'm working from memory!

mloc123 wrote: »
    I use a footpod with my 310xt for cadence, it seems to have stopped working as it should over the last week. See recorded data below. Any ideas? Pair it again with the watch, can they be reset etc..?
    Press the reset button. If it's still happening, maybe change the battery?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

Thanks again Krusty. I think i understand what your saying. I'll keep messing about till I have it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

All those watches seem very expensive for what they do? Is there any reason to get one of those instead of using Endomondo to record my runs on my mobile phone?

Also my phone will double as an MP3 player and I can set a previous run as a target and the audio coach will help me perform better to beat the time. Do any of the watches do that?

:confused:

• Advertisement

AntiVirus wrote: »
    All those watches seem very expensive for what they do? Is there any reason to get one of those instead of using Endomondo to record my runs on my mobile phone?

Also my phone will double as an MP3 player and I can set a previous run as a target and the audio coach will help me perform better to beat the time. Do any of the watches do that?

:confused:
    Yes, you can load previous workouts on the watch, and you can pace yourself against a previous run, but it won't offer you motivational messages/an audio coach. No, you can't load mp3s onto a GPS watch. If you're happy with your current solution, why change it?

Advertisement