Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Megathread-Ask your questions here-See post 1 on how to search thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

If you're happy with your current solution, why change it?

I thought there maybe something that else I was missing, my only problem is its not as easy to glance at like the garmin would be.

How good is the data analysis on the Garmin website? Is there any examples that I can look at. There's a very limited amount of data on the Endomondo site so I use 2 other ones as well to check my data.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

AntiVirus wrote: »
    I thought there maybe something that else I was missing, my only problem is its not as easy to glance at like the garmin would be.

How good is the data analysis on the Garmin website? Is there any examples that I can look at. There's a very limited amount of data on the Endomondo site so I use 2 other ones as well to check my data.
    Well, you have your answer right there. The Garmin is easier to glance at and a lot more waterproof. Personally I wouldn't bring my HTC on a run, but that's just me. Why not have a flick through the 405's user manual and you'll get a better idea of what it does.

Here's my last run on the Garmin Connect site. Have a little play.

Just looking at your run on the website and the amount of detail there is great. That's pretty much what I'm missing from Endomondo, everything that I want is there.

I think I'll go ahead and buy one at the end of the month now.

Thanks for your replies Krusty! :)

Why don't you see if you can export your Endomondo data to SportsTracks? Sportstracks offers everything that Garmin Connect does and more.

Why don't you see if you can export your Endomondo data to SportsTracks? Sportstracks offers everything that Garmin Connect does and more.

That looks great! I just installed the trail and uploaded a couple of runs, looks great so I bought the full version, its a bargin at $35 :D

cheers! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Hi Krusty,

Sorry for annoying ya again with the same issue.

This is a recording of a session I did on my turbo trainer last night, I have a 305, and cadence sensor on the bike, and the watch is set to indoor mode and biking.

Still when I upload to Garmin, the details seem to be the bare minimum.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/62113788

Last time you suggested I clear down the watches memory, which is done, and I got a few runs in and a cycle too, and all those upload and display fine.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the recent site updates, cause the indoor mode spinning sessions I used to upload were fine.

Example from early December last year:
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/58524577

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭lecheile

Power consumption question for you KC....doing Art O'Neill and will have planned route loaded to my 305 for use on friday - is battery life reduced in any way when you have navigation enabled as well as recording route? Make any difference to exclude HRM? Could need to have power at the stated limit of the battery :D

CKWPORT wrote: »
    Hi Krusty,

Sorry for annoying ya again with the same issue.

This is a recording of a session I did on my turbo trainer last night, I have a 305, and cadence sensor on the bike, and the watch is set to indoor mode and biking.

Still when I upload to Garmin, the details seem to be the bare minimum.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/62113788

Last time you suggested I clear down the watches memory, which is done, and I got a few runs in and a cycle too, and all those upload and display fine.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the recent site updates, cause the indoor mode spinning sessions I used to upload were fine.

Example from early December last year:
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/58524577
    Hi CKWPORT, you need to figure out where the problem is occurring. I suspect it's not a Garmin Connect problem, but rather than the watch is not uploading a full set of data to the Garmin connect site.

What happens is the watch uploads the activity to your computer first, and then uploads it to the website. So you should locate where the activities are stored on your PC, find the correct activity, open it and check if it contains just summary data or the data for the full workout.

To find the activity on your PC:
    Perform a search for *.tcx on your local hard drive
    I don't have a tcx file in front of me but the filenames describe the date and time of the activity, e.g.: 20010105_134105.tcx (or something similar). Open it up and let us know if it is just summary (lap) data, or has a full selection of trackpoints.

If it's just summary data, the problem resides with the watch, and you should probably look at doing a hard reset. If you have a full set of data, then potentially the problem resides with Garminn Connect. Let me know how it goes.

lecheile wrote: »
    Power consumption question for you KC....doing Art O'Neill and will have planned route loaded to my 305 for use on friday - is battery life reduced in any way when you have navigation enabled as well as recording route? Make any difference to exclude HRM? Could need to have power at the stated limit of the battery :D
    You know, I'm really not sure Lecheile. I can't imagine that navigation is going to have an impact, unless it forces the backlight to stay on for the duration. Probably best to keep the backlight off, and use a head torch to take readings from the device.

On the HRM, I'm not sure either. :o Certainly using a HRM expends battery power, as the watch will be constantly looking for ANT+ data, however, I'm not certain that if you are not using a HRM that the watch isn't going to look for the ANT+ data anyway. To be safe, I would leave the HRM at home anyway.

Personally, if it were me, I would borrow a proper (off-road) GPS navigation device and use that for navigating the route. These typically have substantially longer battery lives than the Forerunner watches and are better designed for the purpose. If you insist on using it, make sure you practice on a short route beforehand, as it may not behave in the manner you expect.

Could you charge the watch 'on the hoof'? I think I read before that you can charge a forerunner on the move (using a portable USB charger), and while you won't be able to use the display while charging, it does continue to record your trackpoints/activity.

Best of luck with it! Looks like being a cold one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭BuyingorSelling

Lecheile - Doing the Art myself - how do you enter the GPS locations into Garmin - i want to enter longitude and latidue co-ords but in garmin i have option of inserting 2 of either north, east, south or west :confused:

• Advertisement

Lecheile - Doing the Art myself - how do you enter the GPS locations into Garmin - i want to enter longitude and latidue co-ords but in garmin i have option of inserting 2 of either north, east, south or west :confused:
    BuyingorSelling: What kind of Garmin do you have?
    Are you trying to enter an entire tracklog, or just isolated GPS co-ordinates?

BuyingorSelling: What kind of Garmin do you have?
    Are you trying to enter an entire tracklog, or just isolated GPS co-ordinates?

Have the 310xt - i wish to enter isolated co-ordinates (about 7)

I should add that the co-ords are in irish ord survey but think i have cracked how to change them to GPS - BTW anyone know a good website for this im using ord survey irelands site

Personally, if it were me, I would borrow a proper (off-road) GPS navigation device and use that for navigating the route. These typically have substantially longer battery lives than the Forerunner watches and are better designed for the purpose. If you insist on using it, make sure you practice on a short route beforehand, as it may not behave in the manner you expect.

thanks KC - watch is back-up for proper GPS device, just want to make sure its available if needed.
    Best of luck with it! Looks like being a cold one!
    will be really nice if its a cold one - only thing i don't want is a wet one :)

Hi BorS - used garmin basecamp to create route and then uploaded onto 305 - you can also us Roadtrip if you know that one. If you running on friday night, will surely meet you at some stage.

thanks KC - watch is back-up for proper GPS device, just want to make sure its available if needed.

will be really nice if its a cold one - only thing i don't want is a wet one :)
    I presume the GPS is a backup for a map though, right?!
    Those mountains would be wet even in the depths of an Irish summer!
    Have a blast! Look forward to reading the race report...

To find the activity on your PC:
    Perform a search for *.tcx on your local hard drive
    I don't have a tcx file in front of me but the filenames describe the date and time of the activity, e.g.: 20010105_134105.tcx (or something similar). Open it up and let us know if it is just summary (lap) data, or has a full selection of trackpoints.

Hi KC,
    I couldn't locate any TCX files on my pc. So Installed Garmin Traning Centre to see if the issue was the same there and hopefully get a TCX file that way.

No TCX files present unless I export them from GTC. One is attached.

So if the issue is the same on the GC site and in GTC, then the issue must be the watch when I use indoor mode.

I presume the GPS is a backup for map...
    Had some difficulty with any maps I looked at - they were all printed with a north orientation, and we are heading south. At least with the garmin, I figured out that I can wear it the other way around on my wrist and it works perfectly! Isn't technology great :)

Just wondering has anyone experienced this problem?

I have installed all software. When in garmin connect and see a route which i wish to send to my devise, i clickthe send to devise bottom which it then says as been successfully sent to my device. I then look for it in my garmin 310 nad cannot see it. I oipen the ANT communicator and it does not seem to be able to pick up my device (although it had). I have this same problem when i wish to update the firmware on my garmin. The computer is paired as certain data was transferred from my device to garmin connect

Any ideas what else i can try? Thanks

Hi KC,
    I couldn't locate any TCX files on my pc. So Installed Garmin Traning Centre to see if the issue was the same there and hopefully get a TCX file that way.

No TCX files present unless I export them from GTC. One is attached.

So if the issue is the same on the GC site and in GTC, then the issue must be the watch when I use indoor mode.
    Well, you can't automatically make that assumption, because it could be the upload process that is screwing up the file, it could also be Garmin Connect itself. If you export the file from GC and it doesn't have the activity information, you can be damn sure it wont have that same information when you open it up in GTC. You are not downloading the same file from GC. The process actually creates a new file for download, which doesn't contain as much information as the original file uploaded from the watch.

Having said all that, it is probably the watch that is screwed up. :)
    A hard reset, and a 're-pair' with your HRM and cadence sensor is probably the way to go. Have you tried turning it off and turning it on again?. :)

. When in garmin connect and see a route which i wish to send to my devise,
    That might just mean that it has been sent to the USB Ant stick. Can you successfully upload workouts to Garmin Connect?

• Advertisement

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

Just a quick question for the anyone (krusty). I have managed to do some pretty fancy stuff on the watch now, intervals, tempo etc. I have one problem, How do i just turn it on and run with it showing the time, distance i've covered and pace, no other stuff required.

Rawhead wrote: »
    Just a quick question for the anyone (krusty). I have managed to do some pretty fancy stuff on the watch now, intervals, tempo etc. I have one problem, How do i just turn it on and run with it showing the time, distance i've covered and pace, no other stuff required.
    What kind of watch?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

Sorry krusty,
    405CX, thought you would remember me from annoying you with all my other questions.
    Thanks again

Rawhead wrote: »
    Sorry krusty,
    405CX, thought you would remember me from annoying you with all my other questions.
    Thanks again
    Apologies Rawhead, but I'm getting old, and a couple of bottles of beer tends to trigger my Alzheimers. If I understand what you're saying, you just want to have a data screen with Time, Distance and pace showing? Now when you say time, do you mean the time of day, or time on your feet?

1. Touch and hold [menu] (bottom of the bezel)
    2. Go to the [Settings] menu
    3. Choose the data screen (number 1?)
    3. Select three fields as the number of fields you want to display.
    4. Select Time (or time of day) as the first field.
    5. Select Distance for the second field
    6. Select Pace-Avg for the the third field (or Pace if you want to see your current real-time pace).
    7. Hold the [GPS] - left hand side of the bezel.
    8. Go to the [GPS] menu and make sure it's on.
    9. Hold the Right hand side of the bezel (Training).
    10. Click [Start] and start running!

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

Quick question - I have a Forerunner 110 - only got it a few months ago - How do I transfer my runs from the Garmin website or device to the Mapmyrun website?
    I tried to click upload from device on the mapmyrun website but didn't seem to work. It said it couldn't locate a device even though I know it was plugged in. Am I missing a step?

NEDDURC wrote: »
    Quick question - I have a Forerunner 110 - only got it a few months ago - How do I transfer my runs from the Garmin website or device to the Mapmyrun website?
    I tried to click upload from device on the mapmyrun website but didn't seem to work. It said it couldn't locate a device even though I know it was plugged in. Am I missing a step?
    It may be looking for an ANT+ based device, rather than a USB connected device. You can still upload from the watch to your PC using GPX or TCX and then import it as an activity. You cannot mass-export from Garmin Connect to your local machine. You need to export each activity one at a time (which is why I keep a local copy in Garmin Training Centre).

I was trying to upload a route to mapmyrun also and had issues!
    I exported the route to a tcx file from garmin connect then used the upload option on mapmyrun but it only uploads the first few km of the route!

I was trying to upload a route to mapmyrun also and had issues!
    I exported the route to a tcx file from garmin connect then used the upload option on mapmyrun but it only uploads the first few km of the route!
    That would be a mapmyrun failing. I don't get paid to do technical support for use mapmyrun, but would suggest you try upload as GPX, which should be a vendor independent format.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 wagon_repair

hi everyone

i have a forerunner 110 and i seem to have lost the usb cable for it, i looked around google for a replacement but any usb leads i found, i was told it was compatible with the 405, my question is will the same cable work for my 110?

the cable is one of the one's with the clip-on attachment

my watch has been dead with 2 weeks now and im starting to get very annoyed with myself for losing the original

thanks in advance

Advertisement