Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Megathread-Ask your questions here-See post 1 on how to search thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

That would be a mapmyrun failing. I don't get paid to do technical support for use mapmyrun, but would suggest you try upload as GPX, which should be a vendor independent format.

Ya I had tried gpx too! Doesnt matter I can live without it I was only trying to grade a hill with it!
    I'll be sticking with garmin connect anyways!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

Apologies Rawhead, but I'm getting old, and a couple of bottles of beer tends to trigger my Alzheimers. If I understand what you're saying, you just want to have a data screen with Time, Distance and pace showing? Now when you say time, do you mean the time of day, or time on your feet?

1. Touch and hold [menu] (bottom of the bezel)
    2. Go to the [Settings] menu
    3. Choose the data screen (number 1?)
    3. Select three fields as the number of fields you want to display.
    4. Select Time (or time of day) as the first field.
    5. Select Distance for the second field
    6. Select Pace-Avg for the the third field (or Pace if you want to see your current real-time pace).
    7. Hold the [GPS] - left hand side of the bezel.
    8. Go to the [GPS] menu and make sure it's on.
    9. Hold the Right hand side of the bezel (Training).
    10. Click [Start] and start running!

Thanks again Krusty and God bless your beer soaked, dementia ridden mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

After much reading I decided to buy myself the Garmin Forerunner 405, I got it on pixmania for 175 euros.

Thanks for the help Krusty, I hope it makes me run faster now! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

hi everyone

i have a forerunner 110 and i seem to have lost the usb cable for it, i looked around google for a replacement but any usb leads i found, i was told it was compatible with the 405, my question is will the same cable work for my 110?

the cable is one of the one's with the clip-on attachment

my watch has been dead with 2 weeks now and im starting to get very annoyed with myself for losing the original

thanks in advance
    No, I'm afraid the 110 has completely different connectors. The cable for the 405 is just for charging, whereas the cable for the 110 is for both charging and uploading data to the computer. You can buy one direct from Garmin for €16. Not sure if that includes postage.

CKWPORT wrote: »
    Ya I had tried gpx too! Doesnt matter I can live without it I was only trying to grade a hill with it!
    I'll be sticking with garmin connect anyways!
    Have a look in Garmin Training Centre. If you change the first data field to grade and the second one to elevation, you can click a point on a hill, and it'll tell you its gradient. Here's my run from a few minutes ago:

grade.jpg

Nice eh? :)

• Advertisement

AntiVirus wrote: »
    After much reading I decided to buy myself the Garmin Forerunner 405, I got it on pixmania for 175 euros.

Thanks for the help Krusty, I hope it makes me run faster now! :D
    If it did, I'd have one on each wrist. Unfortunately, you still have to do the work yourself, and to be honest sometimes you're better off leaving it at home and ignoring the digits. But it's still a great training aid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Well, my battery died in the middle of a run lastnight with a couple of miles to go. Does anybody know is it possible to finish the run on Garmin Connect or do I just put in a Manual Activity for the last couple of miles? Cheers.

Well, my battery died in the middle of a run lastnight with a couple of miles to go. Does anybody know is it possible to finish the run on Garmin Connect or do I just put in a Manual Activity for the last couple of miles? Cheers.

Hi RunForestRun, you won't be able to edit the track-log in Garmin Connect, but you can edit the distance covered and add in the missing miles. When you have the activity open in Garmin Connect, click on Quick Edit (pencil icon) in the [Summary] bar, and you can update the distance and time.

You can edit the tracklog in an application like Sportstracks, but you won't be able to re-import it back into Garmin Conect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

I accidently broke the strap on my Garmin 405 this morning. Anyone have any experiences in getting this fixed???

Possibly it cant be fixed given that the small black tab on the watch seems to have snapped off?

What are the potential costs and wait time for repair if sent off to Garmin?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

MisterDrak wrote: »
    I accidently broke the strap on my Garmin 405 this morning. Anyone have any experiences in getting this fixed???

Possibly it cant be fixed given that the small black tab on the watch seems to have snapped off?

You could always get a replacement strap on ebay?

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Garmin-Forerunner-405-405CX-Wrist-Strap-010-11251-02-/390177780590?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ad868736e

• Advertisement

AntiVirus wrote: »
    Or Direct from Garmin. Ask Robinph. This has happened to him before.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭frankeee

I'm assuming the worst (ie it's knackered:() but wondering has anyone had the following problem with a forerunner 305?:
    Over Christmas I turned it on and it found satellites as normal. I then went into history to check what mileage I had done the day before, again no problems. I then noticed it started looking for satellites again so I waited, and waited and waited.
    -Tried turning it off and on but to no avail. Noticed at this point that the clock had gone to 00:00 and date 2015.
    -I have tried resetting it (pressing the two lower buttons on side & lap button) but this causes it to switch off & when I switch it back on problem persists.
    -At one point I must have done a hard reset as I had to reinput what language I wanted etc. & this made no difference.
    -Tried fully charging it, fully running down the battery.
    This is my second 305, the first one gave up the ghost after about two years. I have had this one for a little under two years so is that the usual lifespan? Am 'lost' without it...

frankeee wrote: »
    This is my second 305, the first one gave up the ghost after about two years. I have had this one for a little under two years so is that the usual lifespan? Am 'lost' without it...
    Not sure on the typical lifespan of a 305, but I know lots of people who have been using theirs for years and years (I've been using my 405 for around three uninterrupted years now). I guess water ingress that kind of thing will shorten the lifespan, or just pure equipment failure.

If all else fails, you can send it back to Garmin for repair/replacement, but they'll charge you about 75% of the price for a new 305 (from Amazon).

Here's some options I shamelessly stole from another website:
    You can try a soft reset. Press mode and reset. Then try to power on while plugged in.

A hard reset will delete all your data and settings from the Forerunner. Press the Power and the Mode button until the unit comes on and asks if you want to erase all user data. Select Yes.

If the above won't work, try a hard reset that by-passes the confirmation screen. Press Mode, Reset and Power.

Finally, you can try to reload the firmware to the device. Download the latest firmware from Garmin's web site. Plug the Forerunner into the computer. Press and hold the UP Arrow. Press the power button to power the unit on. Continue to hold the up arrow. Run the firmware upgrade. Continue to hold the up arrow through the entire upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭frankeee

Thanks for that Krusty!, will give it a lash. Failing that, AFAIK the GPS reciever in my old one was fine (It had a battery issue). I might try & mangle the two of them together before parting with my hard earned cash:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

MisterDrak wrote: »

I'm only able to see that picture on a small screen at the moment whilst partaking of some apres in the hotel... but that does appear similar to the problem I had with mine. Is the plastic broken on the actual watch part? I never actually bothered contacting Garmin about it and I can't see any way they could actually repair that problem so it would need to be a new watch that they give you if you can pursuade then to do that.

What I did to get about another years worth of use out of mine was some use of super glue. It is very fiddley to get the two parts back together with the pin and then super glue. Mine held like that for several months before I had to re-bodge it again, then the same thing happened to the other side of the watch, then just to keep it together for the DCM some bits of Gaffer tape was added as well.

Then I treated myself to a 310xt after that seeing as I got the sub 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Robinph,

Thanks for the reply, I actually went out before lunch and got some super glue (see attached), and it seemed to do the business. I did leave out the silver retained bar, so only the glue is holding it together. But did manage to get in 7 miles at lunch and it seemed to be fine...

Enjoy the slopes, dont break a leg...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Anyone upgrade to 2.7 firmware for the 405 yet - any issues/bugs?

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Anyone upgrade to 2.7 firmware for the 405 yet - any issues/bugs?
    I did. No change..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

HI, I have Garmin 205 and really want to change speed from miles to Km. Have lost the instruction booklet already. Any help greatly appreciated.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

The manual is online.

Looks like you want p48 - from the Main Menu select Settings - General - Units.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭sailing

I bought a garmin 310 which arrived today. However on set up it dosen't seem to be recognised by my pc. The software appears to be installed correctly. The test indicates that the communicator is installed. However when it says to attach a device it is saying that is not recognised. Has anyone any ideas? It's starting to drive me mad. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

sailing wrote: »
    I bought a garmin 310 which arrived today. However on set up it dosen't seem to be recognised by my pc. The software appears to be installed correctly. The test indicates that the communicator is installed. However when it says to attach a device it is saying that is not recognised. Has anyone any ideas? It's starting to drive me mad. Thanks.

Sorry if this is really obvious but, I sometimes have similar problems with my PC, but it is due to a flaky USB port. Have you tried to use the same USB port with another device, or use one of the the USB ports on the computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭sailing

Sorry if this is really obvious but, I sometimes have similar problems with my PC, but it is due to a flaky USB port. Have you tried to use the same USB port with another device, or use one of the the USB ports on the computer.

The USB port is working alright as it is charging the watch when I plug it in. However when it comes to connecting it in garmin connect it fails to recognise it.

sailing wrote: »
    The USB port is working alright as it is charging the watch when I plug it in. However when it comes to connecting it in garmin connect it fails to recognise it.
    Just as Huskerdu suggested, I would try another USB port. Just because it's got power does not necessarily mean it's behaving properly. Make sure you follow the instructions on screen (I don't think you plug in the ANT+ stick until after the software is installed). Make sure you don't have other software installed that will interfere with your USB port. Have a look at device manager in your control panel. Make sure that the USB Bus controllers are working correctly.

*Edit*: silly question, you are plugging in the USB ANT stick, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭macgrub

Anyone selling ( or know of where you can get ) a Heart Rate monitor strap at a reasonable price for the Forerunner 305 ? I lost mine at the weekend :(

macgrub wrote: »
    Anyone selling ( or know of where you can get ) a Heart Rate monitor strap at a reasonable price for the Forerunner 305 ? I lost mine at the weekend :(
    You could try Amazon.co.uk, but it'll still set you back €35, which is pretty expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

macgrub wrote: »
    yep have a spare, 20e if your interested. pm me if interested. never used.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Bez Bing

Anyone else getting an access denied exception when trying access the garmin.connect site?

Bez Bing wrote: »
    Anyone else getting an access denied exception when trying access the garmin.connect site?
    Yep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

yes, then managed to log in, then did the upgrade.

Then restarted firefox, went back in again and there's no myactivities (where the runs are recorded) section. :eek:

Hoping it's just a glitch in the new software and somewhere a kind developer is fixing it.

Advertisement