Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Megathread-Ask your questions here-See post 1 on how to search thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Yep.

Well stop posting on here and get fixing it. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

robinph wrote: »
    Well stop posting on here and get fixing it. :mad:

Down for maintenance apparently. Who in their right mind schedules maintenance for evening/night in Europe and afternoon/evening in US? Surely one of their busiest times of the day?!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

If it's scheduled maintainence then there should have been a big bright red message across the top of the page for at least the last week. If not scheduled then by now they should have changed the page from saying "Access Denied" and have some kind of "Hello this is the Garmin page, the hamsters are resting and Krusty is fitting them a new wheel in the cage" type message appearing on there by default the moment it goes down.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Anyone upgrade to 2.7 firmware for the 405 yet - any issues/bugs?
    I did. No change..
    BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Was caught gabbing on the start line and my watch timed out (must remember to change the settings)

The Garmin developer Fairies must read my log - noticed tonight when time out was enabled that you now get a 20sec warning when it's going into time out - nice!
    Pass on my thanks Krusty at the next Garmin Unpaid Support Workers Convention in Hawaii!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭sailing

Thanks for the replies to my problem with my 310xt. Seems it was down to problems on the Garmin site on the day in question. It's working fine now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 cargorlaur

Hi all...

Didn't think I'd be on here so quickly asking for help! Literally just opened the box...:(

I got a Garmin 405cx, posted to me just today...I powered it up over a few hours and it was at 100% charge, I downloaded the software and paired it with the Ant device successfully.

So then, I was having a look at the digital displays, you know, just running through the scroll bar etc, then I decided to pair my device with the heart rate monitor...and bam, the screen has just gone blank?

If I turn the light on and turn it sideways slightly, I can see that there is still data on the screen, just really faint.

What has gone wrong? Is it faulty?

P.s did a soft reset (pressing two silver buttons together for about 7 seconds) and it briefly made the data readable again, but when I pressed one of the silver buttons, the data faded away again...as before.

As I say, I can read the data if I turn the watch sideways when the light was on, so I was able to set the 'contrast' to 100% to make it slightly more readable, but its un-usable really in is current state.

Really disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

cargorlaur wrote: »
    P.s did a soft reset (pressing two silver buttons together for about 7 seconds) and it briefly made the data readable again, but when I pressed one of the silver buttons, the data faded away again...as before.

As I say, I can read the data if I turn the watch sideways when the light was on, so I was able to set the 'contrast' to 100% to make it slightly more readable, but its un-usable really in is current state.

Really disappointed.
    Sounds fecked. Try a hard reset, then send it back. I'd be really disappointed too. Make sure you let Garmin know about your disappointment.

Yeah, I'm going to send it back tomorrow. Ah well.

The screen is currently back to normal now...only thing I did was to switch the GPS to 'off' and within a minute the screen returned to its normal display.

Perhaps its connected...or maybe just a pure coincidence? Maybe it was in a power save mode or something...

Anyway, I'll look into it tomorrow.

cargorlaur wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm going to send it back tomorrow. Ah well.

The screen is currently back to normal now...only thing I did was to switch the GPS to 'off' and within a minute the screen returned to its normal display.

Perhaps its connected...or maybe just a pure coincidence? Maybe it was in a power save mode or something...

Anyway, I'll look into it tomorrow.
    I have never seen the display fade on my 405. Ever.

• Advertisement

Only other thing I can think of was that I was uploading the revised software from the Garmin site, and I don't believe it fully loaded as the Garmin site went down...

Perhaps it got confused and hung...it is a mini computer after all?

Anyway, I'll leave it charge over night and fiddle around with it again tomorrow to see if I can replicate the problem...

I'm hoping its not an intermittent fault as thats really hard to catch... especially when to trying to provide proof if I'm to get a replacement.

So typical for this to happen. :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 477 ✭✭brutes1

Have a Garmin 205...display is very faded, have to tilt it to see anything - its virtually useless at this stage...what if anything can be done??
    Are there stockists in Galway of Garmins, I have this on loan so want to give same model back in one piece...or where would I get a second hand one...

Thanks..

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Notwitch

Was uploading some data over the weekend from my 405 and had a problem with Training Centre, which subsequently refused to open - using windows 7. A bit of searching seems to indicate i have a corrupt HistoryTree.bin file. I am presuming its the most recent activity that has caused this.

Anyway, if I move the HistoryTree.bin file from program data, TC will create a new blank one and move on merrily - but with none of my history.

So, question is does anyone have experience of opening the HistoryTree.bin file and fixing the data? There does seem to be a fix using sporttracks but it seemed a bit beyond my capability...as in I'd need to settle down for a day or so to get through it!

So, before i settle down and look at the fix via sportstracks, has anyone got any other options on opening and fixing a 6.7mg garmin HistoryTree.bin file?

many thanks.

brutes1 wrote: »
    Have a Garmin 205...display is very faded, have to tilt it to see anything - its virtually useless at this stage...what if anything can be done??
    Are there stockists in Galway of Garmins, I have this on loan so want to give same model back in one piece...or where would I get a second hand one...

Thanks..
    Second hand: eBay
    New: Amazon.co.uk
    Looking for a replacement in Galway might be very expensive.

Notwitch wrote: »
    Was uploading some data over the weekend from my 405 and had a problem with Training Centre, which subsequently refused to open - using windows 7. A bit of searching seems to indicate i have a corrupt HistoryTree.bin file. I am presuming its the most recent activity that has caused this.

Anyway, if I move the HistoryTree.bin file from program data, TC will create a new blank one and move on merrily - but with none of my history.

So, question is does anyone have experience of opening the HistoryTree.bin file and fixing the data? There does seem to be a fix using sporttracks but it seemed a bit beyond my capability...as in I'd need to settle down for a day or so to get through it!

So, before i settle down and look at the fix via sportstracks, has anyone got any other options on opening and fixing a 6.7mg garmin HistoryTree.bin file?

many thanks.

Did you check to see if there was a backup of your non-corrupted HistoryTree.bin file? On my current PC (Windows 7) the backup is stored in:
    C:\ProgramData\GARMIN\Training Center\TCAcct\Backups

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Triptych

As someone who is restricted to swimming for the next few months due to injury, I have been considering how to get best use of what is currently a rather expensive stopwatch: my 310xt.

Being quite absent minded I tend to have difficulties counting laps and have taken to pressing the lap buton on the watch. So, I was wondering if there was any way of pre-programing lap distance, perhaps as some kind of training sesion?:confused: The idea would be that the watch could then show swim distance saving me the distraction of multiplying while day dreaming. Or should I just allow myself a new toy from swimovate?:D

many thanks

Can't think of any solution that would work for you, apart from editing your tracklog afterwards and manually entering the distance, which would be quite self defeating.

Hi again...just an update.

My new watch appears to be totally fine now...I have not had a re-occurance of that issue since?

I have read up about the very same fault on the Garmin website and there was a few people who posted who had experienced the same as myself.

Some people suggested the issue was with it not being fully charged from the factory i.e it is only fully charged when the charge bar says "Complete"...I thought I had fully charged my watch, but I realise now that it didn't say "Complete".

When I was messing around with it the other night, the power was dropping significantly, even with the GPS switched off, so it mustn't have been fully charged like I thought. So its possible it went into a 'power save' mode or something....

It was fixed instantly once I reconnected back onto the charge and 're-set' the watch. I left it on charge then over night, and was met with the 'Complete' message once I got up in the morning.

Anyway, so far so good, fingers crossed. I'll keep an eye on it...its still under warranty so if it happens again, I'll get onto them immediately.

I took it out for its test run and I'm delighted with it. I just need to get used to the functions and stuff - I don't fully understand some of the 'stats'....love seeing my run mapped out for me! :)

One question I have though....is it safe to leave it on charge all the time, when its not in use? Will it compromise the battery over time if I don't fully discharge it every now and again?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Triptych

Can't think of any solution that would work for you, apart from editing your tracklog afterwards and manually entering the distance, which would be quite self defeating.

Thanks Krusty, I was thinking as much.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Where can I get a battery for my HRM?

Why don't they make HRM straps that are small enough for womens bodies? the bloody thing ends up down at my hips if I don't tie a know in it.

Whats the best mac software for garmin? The new garmin connect is even worse than the old version. I think sportstracks has been mentioned before?

• Advertisement

Why don't they make HRM straps that are small enough for womens bodies? the bloody thing ends up down at my hips if I don't tie a know in it.

Whats the best mac software for garmin? The new garmin connect is even worse than the old version. I think sportstracks has been mentioned before?
    Any shop that sells batteries. They're a pretty standard size. Camera shops, jewellers, electronics shops (Dixons, Currys etc).

You could try Garmin Training Centre for the Mac, but I don't think it's as good as Garmin Connect, so probably wont be of much use to you. Don't think there's a version of Sportracks for the Mac. When you're out getting a new battery for the HRM, why not pick up a proper computer? :)

Any shop that sells batteries. They're a pretty standard size. Camera shops, jewellers, electronics shops (Dixons, Currys etc).

You could try Garmin Training Centre for the Mac, but I don't think it's as good as Garmin Connect, so probably wont be of much use to you. Don't think there's a version of Sportracks for the Mac. When you're out getting a new battery for the HRM, why not pick up a proper computer? :)

BLASPHEMY!!!

Garmin training centre is what I meant actually when I said it was crap. Logging into garmin connect is too much effort. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I got a new battery in the first bog standard Chemists I tried to find one at. Mind you, it didn't fix the HRM problems :mad:

menoscemo wrote: »
    I got a new battery in the first bog standard Chemists I tried to find one at. Mind you, it didn't fix the HRM problems :mad:

I got a pack of two in atlantic homecare. Worked a treat, shame they're 3.50 each though...

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭damo80

hi im hoping someone can help please. im trying to download my route from garmin connect to a Word document but cannot transfer the map. is it possible to do this? and if so how? many thanks for the help

I got a pack of two in atlantic homecare. Worked a treat, shame they're 3.50 each though...
    That's cheap. I've paid more.

damo80 wrote: »
    hi im hoping someone can help please. im trying to download my route from garmin connect to a Word document but cannot transfer the map. is it possible to do this? and if so how? many thanks for the help
    You'll need to provide more info. What are you trying to achieve?
    Could you take a screenshot of the map and paste that into your word document (possibly copyright infringement).

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Notwitch

Yeah, I had spotted the back up but that's buggered too.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭damo80

im trying to post a picture of the route up onto a website. i want to keep the other details such as HR cadence etc private so i cant embed it direct.

• Advertisement

damo80 wrote: »
    im trying to post a picture of the route up onto a website. i want to keep the other details such as HR cadence etc private so i cant embed it direct.
    Did you try the screenshot option I mentioned? Garmin Connect is down at the moment, so I can't show you what it looks like.
    An alternative strategy would be to download the GPX file, then use something like www.gpsvisualizer.com to create your own Garmin map (a little like this one), however you would need to register your own google maps API key, if you want to go with this option.

Advertisement