Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Megathread-Ask your questions here-See post 1 on how to search thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Garmin Connect is down at the moment

And I hope you are working on fixing it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

mloc123 wrote: »
    And I hope you are working on fixing it :P
    Yeah, sorry about that. My Bichon Frise pulled the plug from the wall, while chasing my parakeet around the sitting room. Just waiting on my pot bellied pig to get off the keyboard, so I can log in again.

Did anyone notice what time the maintenance window was? Is it worth waiting around for?

Edit: nevermind Krusty has fixed it

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭damo80

thanks for the help Krusty, i used screenshot it and uploaded as word document. it was far easier when it was Google Earth powered. thanks again for the assistance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I have a Garmin Forerunner 110 and to be honest I don't tend to use it very much. I press the start button when I start my workout and the stop button to stop the timer and that's about it.

However I've noticed there's a lap feature on it but I'm not really sure what to use this for or how useful it is. So if I press the lap button when I'm doing laps, what will it do? Will it keep recording my main time in the background and show me my lap time each time I complete a lap? Do I have to keep pressing the lap button each time I complete a lap after that or does it know itself?

The manual isn't particularly useful in this regard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I have a 305, not a 110, but I presume it supports the same lap functions - I have mine set to AutoLap every mile, so that when I upload my run details afterwards I can see how fast I was going in each mile (and at the end of each lap it will pop up the time taken). Also instead of showing 'current pace' it shows 'average pace in this lap', so I can run to a planned speed. Important for pacing yourself in races and when you're doing training sessions that are based on a certain pace.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

You'll need to provide more info. What are you trying to achieve?
    Could you take a screenshot of the map and paste that into your word document (possibly copyright infringement).

Use SportTracks, get the OSM maps layer, take screen shot of track over map=no copyright issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Dukie

Hi all,

I've used my 405 14 times now & on about 5 or 6 of the activities my best pace is showing up with some crazy times.

Last night for example my best pace was 00:09 min/mi ! Now I know I'm after increasing my training but a maximum speed of 378.6 mph seems a tiny bit off the mark :)

The timing chart doesn't show this incorrect pace. I also don't start a run until the accuracy is around ~ 20-40 ft

Anyone know what might be causing this? (dropped signal maybe??)

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Trusted Reviews ran a review of the new 410 today...

See here.

xebec wrote: »
    Trusted Reviews ran a review of the new 410 today...

See here.
    Pretty awful review if you ask me. Doesn't mention any of the benefits over the standard 405. The only fundamental difference I can see from the 405 is the price, a couple of bug-fixes, and a decorative thin red line on the bezel. Ireckon that the flagship product would be the 310xt, rather than the 410.

• Advertisement

fuuuuuu_Comics_Gifs_Verticals_Etc-s498x387-93636-580.jpg

Why is connect ALWAYS down when I want it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I only just managed to finish an upload 10 minutes before it went down today. They best be coming up with some great new features for all this down time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Figured this is the best place for this...

which garmin ?

I've been doing some running for a few years, up to 10k races, but not a large amount of mileage.
    I've signed up to a duathlon later this month and a triathlon in May.
    I'm also hoping to do a couple of "adventure" (multi-discipline) races, signed up for Connemara Challenge and will probably do one or two more later in the year.

So based on that, if I was to invest in a GPS watch, what do people on here recommend and what are the prices?

I'll be in the US in April, so I might be able to get myself a better deal there, but I'd like to have the research done ahead of time.

Edit:- if there are reliable alternatives to a garmin, I'm open to them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

Anyone got something similar to Sportstracks running on an android device?

The inner nerd in me would like to have all my training logs with me at all times, not requiring net access, but I can't see anything obvious. Well not that will allow direct connection of the Garmin device and download of activities to the Android device without the need for a PC/Mac.

jeffontour wrote: »
    Anyone got something similar to Sportstracks running on an android device?

The inner nerd in me would like to have all my training logs with me at all times, not requiring net access, but I can't see anything obvious. Well not that will allow direct connection of the Garmin device and download of activities to the Android device without the need for a PC/Mac.

There is Handy Runner which links in with Running Ahead and will display your latest workouts for you. There are two versions of the app, once just displays what you have uploaded to your log, and the other will actually let you record runs and upload them as well, but I've not tried that one out.

Figured this is the best place for this...

which garmin ?

I've been doing some running for a few years, up to 10k races, but not a large amount of mileage.
    I've signed up to a duathlon later this month and a triathlon in May.
    I'm also hoping to do a couple of "adventure" (multi-discipline) races, signed up for Connemara Challenge and will probably do one or two more later in the year.

So based on that, if I was to invest in a GPS watch, what do people on here recommend and what are the prices?

I'll be in the US in April, so I might be able to get myself a better deal there, but I'd like to have the research done ahead of time.

Edit:- if there are reliable alternatives to a garmin, I'm open to them too.
    Sounds like you should get a Garmin 305 or a Garmin 310xt (depending on your budget). If you want a waterproof unit (e.g. for swimming/kayaking) the 305 is only waterproof to IPX7 (15 mins, 1 meter of water) whereas the 310xt is fully waterproof. Both will give you the battery life that you will need for adventure races (around 16-20 hours). If you want to see the prices, go find 'em yourself. Have a look at amazon.co.uk and amazon.com as a starting point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Sounds like you should get a Garmin 305 or a Garmin 310xt (depending on your budget). If you want a waterproof unit (e.g. for swimming/kayaking) the 305 is only waterproof to IPX7 (15 mins, 1 meter of water) whereas the 310xt is fully waterproof. Both will give you the battery life that you will need for adventure races (around 16-20 hours). If you want to see the prices, go find 'em yourself. Have a look at amazon.co.uk and amazon.com as a starting point.

Thanks for the advice. I've been browsing the options available, trying to establish the difference between the 400 & 300 series.
    So it seems like the 300s are the multisport while the 400s are pure running.

Looks like the 305 can be got for a very reasonable price, but the 310xt is the current model, so that bit more expensive.

If anyone can provide feedback on either the 305 or 310xt, or even someone who's used both it would be greatly appreciated and help me decide if its worth the extra for a 310xt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Put simply the 310 is the waterproof version of the 305.

The 310 has some added functionality in the software end of things as well as wireless hook up to your PC fro data uplink. Here's a comparison link to Garmin that may help.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare.do?cID=142&compareProduct=27335&compareProduct=349

I have the 305 and bar swimming I use it for everything. I upload to Map my Run via Garmin Connect and thats a simple back up. Everyone has their own fav, I'm a little limited on software though as I'm on a Mac here. But I'm happy!

Dont discount the Polar though. I've an older RS200 which is waterproof and I used it for 2 seasons for swimming, running, gym and bike. I had no GPS but had time to track my routes manually online.

Something like the RS400 or RS800 with GPS is similar in function to the Garmin. Purists will hate me for that comment! The GPS is separate to the watch unit but you can wear it as a watch as the battery life is not being drawn down by the GPS.

Thanks for the advice. I've been browsing the options available, trying to establish the difference between the 400 & 300 series.
    So it seems like the 300s are the multisport while the 400s are pure running.

Looks like the 305 can be got for a very reasonable price, but the 310xt is the current model, so that bit more expensive.

If anyone can provide feedback on either the 305 or 310xt, or even someone who's used both it would be greatly appreciated and help me decide if its worth the extra for a 310xt.
    Well, I use my 405 while cycling too (just to muddy the waters!), but certainly the 310 has best support for multisport (you can setup your transitions in advance). If you can live without the waterproof'edness of the 310, then I'd go with the 305. It is a hell of a lot cheaper (€110 recently on amazon.co.uk). The 310xt may be overkill, unless you're planning to take it swimming (and to be honest, there's not a huge amount of value to taking the 310xt swimming, as the accuracy under water is dubious at best).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

What's the story with Garmin DisConnect these days?

A quick FYI that Garmin Connect will be down Thur 2/3 at 7am Central (approx 90 min.) to better stabilize site, which should result in fewer future outages

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭dare2be

Krusty,

Sorry in advance if asked before (yes i did do a search with keywords) but how do i change the pace settings for a custom workout i.e 'slow jog' pace; 'easy run' pace; 'fast run' pace etc?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Garmin Training Centre, user profile, IIRC

^ Wot he said ^

[Garmin Training Centre] [User] [Profile for........] [Speed Zones]
    Don't use 'em myself..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Pretty awful review if you ask me. Doesn't mention any of the benefits over the standard 405. The only fundamental difference I can see from the 405 is the price, a couple of bug-fixes, and a decorative thin red line on the bezel. Ireckon that the flagship product would be the 310xt, rather than the 410.

It has a bezel, this makes it rubbish. RacoonQueen does not like bezel's.
    Well, I use my 405 while cycling too (just to muddy the waters!), but certainly the 310 has best support for multisport (you can setup your transitions in advance). If you can live without the waterproof'edness of the 310, then I'd go with the 305. It is a hell of a lot cheaper (€110 recently on amazon.co.uk). The 310xt may be overkill, unless you're planning to take it swimming (and to be honest, there's not a huge amount of value to taking the 310xt swimming, as the accuracy under water is dubious at best).

The 310 also has the longer battery life, 20 hours compared to the 305's 10, if you're going to be doing longer races. It's great to use just as a stopwatch in the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

the 310 has best support for multisport (you can setup your transitions in advance).

Not sure if this is much different to the setup on the 305. Can set up the 305 for one button transitions in multisport mode.

Also saw an explanation of how to swim with the 305 (for triathlon, specifically) mounted on the back of your head under a swim cap ! That way it can accurately track your GPS. Ideally you will use a bike mount and velco wrist-strap for ease of transitions.

If I can find the link I'll post it up. It is one for the Garmin technical people to confirm is acceptable under IPX7 guidelines AND is definitely not a recommendation from me to go out and blow your new 305!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Was out cycling last week and the Garmin 305 just stopped working. Thought it might have just been an empty battery but when i got home to recharge it still didnt come on. The manual just said to contact the local distributor but i bought it on Amazon a year ago so not sure who to send it to. So my question is are there any places in Dublin that can repair Garmin watches? Would rather pay for repairs than buy a new one as theyre pretty expensive :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

smmoore79 wrote: »
    Was out cycling last week and the Garmin 305 just stopped working. Thought it might have just been an empty battery but when i got home to recharge it still didnt come on. The manual just said to contact the local distributor but i bought it on Amazon a year ago so not sure who to send it to. So my question is are there any places in Dublin that can repair Garmin watches? Would rather pay for repairs than buy a new one as theyre pretty expensive :rolleyes:

Wow the internet is great. Found a forum discussing the same problem. One of the solutions was to do a master reset by holding Reset and Mode buttons for 10 seconds - and it worked!!! Thought i might have had to throw it in the bin after a week of not working; happy days :rolleyes:

It is one for the Garmin technical people to confirm is acceptable under IPX7 guidelines AND is definitely not a recommendation from me to go out and blow your new 305!!
    It is IPX7, which means it can withstand immersion in 1m of water for 30 minutes. The watch in the hat is an old trick that has been around for quite some time.

Here's DC Rainmaker's article on how best to position the watch in your hat. Obviously it's all your at your own risk.

SwimmerGoodGPS_thumb%5B1%5D.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭mitresize5

My 405 is frozen on me.

Bezel not working and when I press any of the buttons the screen just dims.

Do I need to reset it - ie hold bottons down together for 20 seconds

• Advertisement

mitresize5 wrote: »
    My 405 is frozen on me.

Bezel not working and when I press any of the buttons the screen just dims.

Do I need to reset it - ie hold bottons down together for 20 seconds
    Sure sounds like that would be your best course of action. Try a soft reset first, which results in a reboot with no loss of data.

Advertisement