Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Megathread-Ask your questions here-See post 1 on how to search thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭mitresize5

thanks Krusty

Can you explain how to do a soft reset as opposed to just holding down both buttons for 20 seconds which is a hard reset I take it

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

It's in this thread somewhere already, but what you're describing is a soft reset.
    Google is your friend:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKrBEuCz014&feature=player_embedded

Hard Reset:
    Warning!!!! This will erase all data on your watch!!!!
    1) Press and Hold down BOTH the Start/Stop and Lap/Reset Buttons (these are the two silver buttons on the right hand side)
    2) Keep these two buttons pressed in for 6 seconds and the screen will go blank
    3) Release the Start/Stop button (the top one) and continue to hold the Lap/Reset button for 3 additional seconds, then Release it
    4) Select ?YES? (Enter Button) to the prompt asking to clear user data
    5) This will erase ALL data and then guide you through all of the introductory menus once again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

1st mile accuracy not the best

I am a new 405 user. I am not very happy with accuracy over the first mile of a run though.
    I am getting between 0.96 to 1.05 on the first mile of a route I run at lunchtimes. I always wait untill the watch has acquired satellites and the run start mode is on the display. I run the exact same line each time to mile 1. The watch seems to be relatively accurate for remaining of the run

Any else notice this?

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/66433321

I pressed lap 2 at true point of 1 mile , so I travelled an extra 0.05. The start point of the run seems to be further back from my actual start also

Abhainn wrote: »
    1st mile accuracy not the best

I am a new 405 user. I am not very happy with accuracy over the first mile of a run though.
    I am getting between 0.96 to 1.05 on the first mile of a route I run at lunchtimes. I always wait untill the watch has acquired satellites and the run start mode is on the display. I run the exact same line each time to mile 1. The watch seems to be relatively accurate for remaining of the run

Any else notice this?

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/66433321

I pressed lap 2 at true point of 1 mile , so I travelled an extra 0.05. The start point of the run seems to be further back from my actual start also
    Hi Abhainn, what is the GPS accuracy at when you start your run? I would usually keep mine on the satellite screen until it is below 30-40 feet. You can get a satellite fix before this, but it still may not have a reasonable accuracy level.

If you look at your run in Bird's eye view, it has you starting in the middle of a building and running through (or over!) the next building. Surely even the mightly Abhainn doesn't leap over tall buildings in a single bound? :) Bird's eye view will show you exactly where your inaccuracy is coming from. 4% - 5% is pretty close to the kind of accuracy you can expect from a Forerunner watch (which is what you are getting).

Hi Abhainn, what is the GPS accuracy at when you start your run? I would usually keep mine on the satellite screen until it is below 30-40 feet. You can get a satellite fix before this, but it still may not have a reasonable accuracy level.

If you look at your run in Bird's eye view, it has you starting in the middle of a building and running through (or over!) the next building. Surely even the mightly Abhainn doesn't leap over tall buildings in a single bound? :) Bird's eye view will show you exactly where your inaccuracy is coming from. 4% - 5% is pretty close to the kind of accuracy you can expect from a Forerunner watch (which is what you are getting).

Birds eye view ... oh ya see it now. See what you mean. I don't jump over buildings, I run through them. :)
    Cheers 30-40 ft so

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

If you look at your run in Bird's eye view, it has you starting in the middle of a building and running through (or over!) the next building.

Looks like he was practising Parkour over the first 400m or so :pac:

@Aibhinn: this also happens me with my 405, normally over the first half mile even after the sateillites have locked in. I think it is worse when you are surrounded by tall builings as In my case when leaving my appartment block. in a flatter setting like a park the sattelites seem to lock on much better and be much more accurate.

Cheers 30-40 ft so
    Not saying that it'll fix your problem, but it should help. Really, 4%-5% is about as good as you can expect with a 405. May be worth making sure that your watch is running the latest firmware.
    *Edit* looking at your Garmin connect activity, it looks like you are running 2.10.0.0. My watch is running: 2.70.0.0, so definitely worth an update.
    Not saying that this will fix your problem either, but it certainly won't hurt.

Not saying that it'll fix your problem, but it should help. Really, 4%-5% is about as good as you can expect with a 405. May be worth making sure that your watch is running the latest firmware.
    *Edit* looking at your Garmin connect activity, it looks like you are running 2.10.0.0. My watch is running: 2.70.0.0, so definitely worth an update.
    Not saying that this will fix your problem either, but it certainly won't hurt.

Yes I know. Kinda don't go there, intended first task when I got the watch.
    Its driving me a little nuts trying to upload latest s/w. Tried it and "
    "Software update successfully sent to Garmin ANT Agent for transfer to your device". However it doesn't seem to upload to the watch.
    Work colleague said it could be something to do with double log on this laptop. So have to try it on the other one in the house here

Yes I know. Kinda don't go there, intended first task when I got the watch.
    Its driving me a little nuts trying to upload latest s/w. Tried it and "
    "Software update successfully sent to Garmin ANT Agent for transfer to your device". However it doesn't seem to upload to the watch.
    Work colleague said it could be something to do with double log on this laptop. So have to try it on the other one in the house here
    Where's all those nice China-based tracklogs?

Where's all those nice China-based tracklogs?

Have none. Didn't have the yoke then. Will specially arrange a few for you on my next visit;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭jfh

anyone else have issues with the backlight on the 405, mine seems to have stopped working, have updated software but no luck, it seems to be a common enough problem, wondering if anyone has over come it?
    thanks

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

jfh wrote: »
    anyone else have issues with the backlight on the 405, mine seems to have stopped working, have updated software but no luck, it seems to be a common enough problem, wondering if anyone has over come it?
    thanks

Before I retired my 405 the backlight wasn't always coming on as it should for notification like lap times. I think it was down to if I had manually turned on the backlight just before starting the timer or not. If I did that then it would illuminate for each lap, otherwise it would just stay dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Dukie

Is the ANT stick the only way of transferring data on the 405?
    My 11 month old decided to snap mine in half over the weekend! :mad:
    Looks like its around the €50 mark to get a replacement

Dukie wrote: »
    Is the ANT stick the only way of transferring data on the 405?
    My 11 month old decided to snap mine in half over the weekend! :mad:
    Looks like its around the €50 mark to get a replacement
    Yes, unfortunately it is. Keep an eye on eBay. I managed to pick up a deal on the site at one stage. I have one of those 11 year olds too. Might be cheaper in the long run to replace the 11 year old. :)

Have none. Didn't have the yoke then. Will specially arrange a few for you on my next visit;)
    Some people take photos on business trips and holidays. I prefer tracklogs. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

robinph wrote: »
    Before I retired my 405 the backlight wasn't always coming on as it should for notification like lap times. I think it was down to if I had manually turned on the backlight just before starting the timer or not. If I did that then it would illuminate for each lap, otherwise it would just stay dark.

Pretty sure that's expected behaviour. If I'm out in the dark I always manually turn the light on just before starting the run, otherwise I don't expect it to come on...

xebec wrote: »
    Pretty sure that's expected behaviour. If I'm out in the dark I always manually turn the light on just before starting the run, otherwise I don't expect it to come on...
    +1. I think I also have mine set up to turn on for events, e.g. when you complete a lap, or press the bezel (when unlocked).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

mloc123 wrote: »
    Why is connect ALWAYS down when I want it.

:mad:

mloc123 wrote: »
    :mad:
    They watch.. They Wait.. And when they hear your Garmin beep..... They pounce..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

They watch.. They Wait.. And when they hear your Garmin beep..... They pounce..

:D

10pm here must be peak time somewhere it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

Hello Krusty,

Just a quick question as usual. I have my 405cx set up to show time, distance and pace while I'm running and that suits me perfectly. The only problem is that the lap timer/counter is set for kms while I have everything else set for miles. How do I get the laps into miles.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Rawhead wrote: »
    Hello Krusty,

Just a quick question as usual. I have my 405cx set up to show time, distance and pace while I'm running and that suits me perfectly. The only problem is that the lap timer/counter is set for kms while I have everything else set for miles. How do I get the laps into miles.

Thanks in advance.

Need to change your Auto Lap settings... Training > Options > Auto Lap Set by distance to a mile and you should be sorted...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

xebec wrote: »
    Need to change your Auto Lap settings... Training > Options > Auto Lap Set by distance to a mile and you should be sorted...

Thank you very much xebec, job sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

Quick question guys.

I have a Garmin 305. Im just wondering is it possible to use it in the bike function with getting the bike attachment? Is it essential? Or does it just make it more accuarate?

Cheers!!

Nope, it operates in exactly the same way. Wouldn't be any more accurate either. It's just easier to read when attached to the cross-bars, rather than your wrist (obviously you can't read the details when it's on your wrist and watch where you're going at the same time).
    I'd always wear my 405 on my wrist when cycling.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The bike attachment is just to allow you to clip it to the handlebars because it's easier to see from there. Will work perfectly fine attached to your wrist though, just don't fall off when trying to see any of the stats on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Patrick_K

Hello Garminators,

Do any of you have issues getting a reliable HR reading from your 405 ?
    Sometimes I find my reading will start out very high and then quite suddenly jump down to the level I'd expect it to be at without any change in pace/effort.
    I wet it before I go out but I find it hard to wet as it's plastic and water just runs off it.
    Is there anything else I should use besides water to help it get its reading, some kind of gel or vaseline maybe ?

Cheers
    PK

Patrick_K wrote: »
    Hello Garminators,

Do any of you have issues getting a reliable HR reading from your 405 ?
    Sometimes I find my reading will start out very high and then quite suddenly jump down to the level I'd expect it to be at without any change in pace/effort.
    I wet it before I go out but I find it hard to wet as it's plastic and water just runs off it.
    Is there anything else I should use besides water to help it get its reading, some kind of gel or vaseline maybe ?

Cheers
    PK
    Ah the old heart rate discussion. Yep the HRM is pretty crap and short of shaving yourself and liberally applying KY jelly every time you head out, you either have to ignore it for the first mile, or send it back. Have not seen any workable fixes. Try wetting your skin instead of the strap. You might see a marginal improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Patrick_K

Yeah I've started to wet my skin and strap which does seem to work marginally better but it's a bit of a pain so was wondering if the KY might be better, have you tried it ?

I can vouch that it isn't anything to do with chest hair either as I'm as smooth as an apple there - through nature rather than metrosexuality might I stress !

• Advertisement

Patrick_K wrote: »
    Have you tried it ?
    Can't say that I have I've learned to live without HR info for my first mile. It's usually pretty accurate for me after the first mile.

Advertisement