Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Megathread-Ask your questions here-See post 1 on how to search thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭keano007

Can anyone tell me how I get the cadence to show on my edge 705, it's not displayed at all and I've lost the manual

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

keano007 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me how I get the cadence to show on my edge 705, it's not displayed at all and I've lost the manual

http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/2297_OwnersManual.pdf

I take it you've got the sensor fitted. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,998 ✭✭✭opus

opus wrote: »
    Snap! I thought I was able to fix my one but sadly not. It will be on its way back to Garmin tomorrow & they said it would take roughly 10 days for a fix/replacement. Not much use for you unfortunately if you need it for Connemara.

Swapped to using RunkeeperPro on my Android phone to keep some track of things in the meantime.

So a week later a courier delivered a brand new 310xt this afternoon, hopefully this one will last a bit longer. Pretty happy with the Garmin customer service I must say :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Personally, I wouldn't let them near it to try and 'fix it', unless they're just talking about doing a hard reset. If they try to open it, this will likely invalidate your warranty, and potentially break the water resistance seal. Instead I'd expect an exchange for a new model on the spot.

It's got back to Garmin for repair / replacement. But it'll take at least 2 weeks to come back. I allowed myself an extravagance :o. I picked up a 'back-up' 110. I figure I'll eventually have to replace my first 110 at some point so I've just anticipated that a bit. I couldn't face at least two weeks of guessing my pace. I'm a Garminolic.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

So a week later a courier delivered a brand new 310xt this afternoon, hopefully this one will last a bit longer. Pretty happy with the Garmin customer service I must say :)
    I hope you didn't send them back the USB Ant+ stick. ;)

• Advertisement

I hope you didn't send them back the USB Ant+ stick. ;)

Nope, must admit I had a sneaking hope they would send me back a whole new boxed 310xt but alas no!

For anyone (like me) who really misses Google maps on Garmin Connect you might like the following little Chrome extension that puts them back in the activity & dashboard display - Gfix

For anyone (like me) who really misses Google maps on Garmin Connect you might like the following little Chrome extension that puts them back in the activity & dashboard display - Gfix
    Nice one! I do think the Bing Bird's Eye is superb (if a little frustrating at times) but it's great to have the choice. Garmin must have been given a wedge of money from Microsoft.

By the way, I use OpenStreetMaps for Garmin Training Centre. If anyone wants some guidance on how to install these, just holler.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Hi,

My 405 has taken a new habit of being completely dead (blank screen) and then refusing to charge. About 2 days later it will accept a charge.
    Is it time to send it back?

I did search the thread but none of the 17 results were quite right.

Peterx wrote: »
    Hi,

My 405 has taken a new habit of being completely dead (blank screen) and then refusing to charge. About 2 days later it will accept a charge.

If you have done a hard reset, then yes, it is definitely time to send it back.

To perform a Master Reset on the Forerunner 405:
    Note this will erase ALL data on your watch.
    1) Press and Hold down BOTH the Start/Stop and Lap/Reset Buttons (these are the two silver buttons on the right hand side)
    2) Keep these two buttons pressed in for 6 seconds and the screen will go blank
    3) Release the Start/Stop button (the top one) and continue to hold the Lap/Reset button for 3 additional seconds, then Release it
    4) Select ?YES? (Enter Button) to the prompt asking to clear user data
    5) This will erase ALL data and then guide you through all of the introductory menus once again

Thanks Krusty,

I've done a hard reset there now and will go out and point my watch at the sky and see can it find the right time now:)

Before the hard reset it thought it was march 29th and about 3pm..

• Advertisement

Thanks Krusty,

I've done a hard reset there now and will go out and point my watch at the sky and see can it find the right time now:)

Before the hard reset it thought it was march 29th and about 3pm..
    It sounds quite sick, and will likely need a trip to the Garmin hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Happy ending.

from my training-log:

"Oh and got a mail from Runways saying pop in to pick up my replacement Garmin!! Seems I was entitled to an immediate replacement. So they'll just refund the one I bought last week. Happy days smile.gif."

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Hi,

Thank you for searching on my behalf then. My garmin 405 went blank on Saturday and has done nothing since, Ive tried charging it. I sent it back to the shop to see what they could do but havent heard anything (tis only one day). I tried different combinations of button pressing but nada from the screen.

Ill let you know what they say.

Oryx wrote: »
    Thank you for searching on my behalf then. My garmin 405 went blank on Saturday and has done nothing since, Ive tried charging it. I sent it back to the shop to see what they could do but havent heard anything (tis only one day). I tried different combinations of button pressing but nada from the screen.

Which shop did you send it back to? I don't imagine they can do much for you, other than a three fingered salute (hard reset). If it's still under warranty, they should give you a replacement on the spot. If it's not, send it back to Garmin, and they'll sort you out (usually with a refurb etc).

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Its 14 months old, so maybe not under warranty but Im sure not paying for a repair on something that cost so much yet quit that soon. Its a local sports shop with good lads in it that should look after me. I hope. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I have a 405 and am running the Connemara ultra on Sunday. I'm hoping to get in under 6 hours and I'm concerned about the watch lasting the distance. The reason for the worry is that I wore my forerunner 405 and HRM in the Barcelona Marathon recently and completed the course in 3hr 24min. With a mile to go I got the bleep saying 'low battery' and at the end of the race my Garmin had less than 15% battery life left. I am pretty sure the battery was full before the race.

A week later I did a 5 hour LSR and was not expecting the battery to last the distance, but yet it had over 30% left at the end. Now the only difference I can think of is that I was not wearing the HRM strap on the 5 hour run.. could this be the case? Or maybe the Barcelona Run was just a freak occurence?

Thanks in advance guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

menoscemo wrote: »
    I have a 405 and am running the Connemara ultra on Sunday. I'm hoping to get in under 6 hours and I'm concerned about the watch lasting the distance. The reason for the worry is that I wore my forerunner 405 and HRM in the Barcelona Marathon recently and completed the course in 3hr 24min. With a mile to go I got the bleep saying 'low battery' and at the end of the race my Garmin had less than 15% battery life left. I am pretty sure the battery was full before the race.

A week later I did a 5 hour LSR and was not expecting the battery to last the distance, but yet it had over 30% left at the end. Now the only difference I can think of is that I was not wearing the HRM strap on the 5 hour run.. could this be the case? Or maybe the Barcelona Run was just a freak occurence?

Thanks in advance guys.

According to the manual it depends on GPS, backlight, ANT+ computer connection and time in power save mode. Nothing specific in HR monitor but I think that's an ANT+ connection too - someone correct me if I'm wrong...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Garmin lasted for me last year for 6:39 and lasted to 34 miles the year before after I didn't charge it the night before, well I plugged it in I just forgot to flick the switch to turn the socket on (I don't have those fancy sockets with switches in my home) and yes gerard65 I know you still find this funny :p

It just about lasted the distance for me last year, I left it plugged into the charger literally until I was leaving the hotel room. Just make sure you have everything set up on it the night before so you're not playing around with it and wasting the battery before the race starts and you'll be grand.

Edit: I didn't wear HRM strap in Conn.

xebec wrote: »
    According to the manual it depends on GPS, backlight, ANT+ computer connection and time in power save mode. Nothing specific in HR monitor but I think that's an ANT+ connection too - someone correct me if I'm wrong...
    Yep, it is an ANT+ connection also. Not sure if the HR will make any difference, as when you think of it, the watch searches for the HRM constantly anyway. Mine lasted for the Connemarathon last year no problem (5:15), so it should be fine. Just make sure GPS is switched off, until you head to the start line. You could always borrow someone's watch and start it when you arrive in Leenane (26 mile mark).

Oryx wrote: »

The hard reset appears to have worked for now - thanks Krusty.

The other on going issue with mine is poor battery time but maybe I need to set some of that time saving mode someone else talked about.

I think if I was buying again I'd get something with 20 hours claimed time and so at least 10 hours actual time. I have never got more then 6 hours from mine and about 5 is the usual now.

• Advertisement

The hard reset appears to have worked for now - thanks Krusty.

The other on going issue with mine is poor battery time but maybe I need to set some of that time saving mode someone else talked about.

I think if I was buying again I'd get something with 20 hours claimed time and so at least 10 hours actual time. I have never got more then 6 hours from mine and about 5 is the usual now.
    No problem. There's no time-saver mode. There is a power-save mode that sends the watch back into power-save when not in use (it goes back to the clock), but that's it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Yep, it is an ANT+ connection also. Not sure if the HR will make any difference, as when you think of it, the watch searches for the HRM constantly anyway. Mine lasted for the Connemarathon last year no problem (5:15), so it should be fine. Just make sure GPS is switched off, until you head to the start line. You could always borrow someone's watch and start it when you arrive in Leenane (26 mile mark).

Thanks, yeah what you say makes sense; it is always looking for the HRM anyway. Maybe I did an RQ and forgot to flick the switch when I was charging it the night before Barca. I'll be wearing a stopwatch and paceband as a backup anyways but would love to record the full run on my garmin.

I didn't even know there was a Garmin FR610 'til I saw this mentioned on the Garmin FB feed!

IMG_0473%5B5%5D_thumb%5B1%5D.jpg?imgmax=800

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Has anyone tried charging a Forerunner 305 using the mains adaptor that comes for the iPhone? So instead of putting the iPhone USB cable into the plug, put the 305 cable and charge? Is it safe or would I fry my watch?

Going away for a week and I won't be bringing a laptop or have access to one so wondering about keeping the 305 charged. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

pgibbo wrote: »
    Has anyone tried charging a Forerunner 305 using the mains adaptor that comes for the iPhone? So instead of putting the iPhone USB cable into the plug, put the 305 cable and charge? Is it safe or would I fry my watch?

Going away for a week and I won't be bringing a laptop or have access to one so wondering about keeping the 305 charged. Cheers.

I was going to do the same as going on a training camp soon, but forgot that the 305 comes with a mains charger too, so I'm bringing that with me.

I did plug my 305 cradle into the iphone charger and charging came up on the screen, I didn't leave it there, so I can't say if it got a full charge, I can only confirm that it didn't explode.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

CKWPORT wrote: »
    I was going to do the same as going on a training camp soon, but forgot that the 305 comes with a mains charger too, so I'm bringing that with me.

I did plug my 305 cradle into the iphone charger and charging came up on the screen, I didn't leave it there, so I can't say if it got a full charge, I can only confirm that it didn't explode.

Cheers. Now to try and find the orignal box with the mains charger! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

I didn't even know there was a Garmin FR610 'til I saw this mentioned on the Garmin FB feed!

IMG_0473%5B5%5D_thumb%5B1%5D.jpg?imgmax=800

Launched today and available in Ireland from the middle of May.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

CKWPORT wrote: »

USB always works off the same voltage - 9v, so it is safe to plug it into a mains charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

pgibbo wrote: »

I charge my 305 off anything that supports the USB lead. I use a Blackberry travel charger with the interchangeable plug heads for any mains charging and a Belkin in car USB adapter to allow charging on route to events too.

Never had a problem except forgetting the USB lead on occasion!

• Advertisement

I didn't notice this either. Thanks for posting a link (I do enjoy DC Rainmaker's reviews). Good to see:
    1) 1 second recording mode back again (why did they remove this?!)
    2) Better support for waypoints

Meh:
    1) ANT+ USB stick data transfer - Still don't see why this can't be a cable/USB data transfer and save some battery power (e.g. 110, 210).
    2) Touch screen display.... Hmm.. Jury's out. Buttons are good!
    3) Battery life - still 8 (optimistic?) hours

Interesting: No mention of improved GPS accuracy, though 10 seconds to locate satellite signals is good.

Advertisement