Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Megathread-Ask your questions here-See post 1 on how to search thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

1) 1 second recording mode back again (why did they remove this?!)

This is a big selling point IMO

Launched today and available in Ireland from the middle of May.

Any RRP yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Like the addition of an extra data field

• Registered Users Posts: 4,998 ✭✭✭opus

mloc123 wrote: »
    Any RRP yet?

Looks like 350 yankee dollars for the basic watch with no HRM on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

opus wrote: »
    Looks like 350 yankee dollars for the basic watch with no HRM on their website.
    Which puts it at the same price point as the 310xt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,998 ✭✭✭opus

It annoys me a bit that Garmin also have a new HRM that stops the crazy spikes with the old, I'm getting fed up of friends asking me if I really should be running when they spot my HR at 220+ as soon almost as soon as I start moving :eek:

Don't think I'll bother with the strap for my marathon next weekend as don't see the point.
    Garmin introduced a slightly new heart rate strap with the Edge 800 – and that same strap has been carried through to the FR210, FR410 and now the FR610. This new strap aims to reduce many of the spiking/dropout problems of some of the previous straps. And based on my testing over the past 6 months – it does a pretty good job of this. It’s reduced those problems for me by about 95%. There’s still an occasional spike – but mostly they’re gone.

IMG_9568A%5B8%5D_thumb.jpg?imgmax=800

Above from DC Rainmakers review.

mloc123 wrote: »
    This is a big selling point IMO
    As Rainmaker put it though, this is a software update, not a new feature. They could theoretically add this back to any of their devices. Sure, we'd run out of memory quicker, but we could just upload data more frequently.

Same thing with the new HR monitor. Fixing their own bugs and representing these bug-fixes as features.

As Rainmaker put it though, this is a software update, not a new feature. They could theoretically add this back to any of their devices. Sure, we'd run out of memory quicker, but we could just upload data more frequently.

Same thing with the new HR monitor. Fixing their own bugs and representing these bug-fixes as features.

The funny thing is they have fixed it on the 310xt... if you have a power meter paired with it. I really don't understand why they won't allow people to enable it if they want and take the memory hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Fleagle

Thinking of getting one of these but am a small, skinny woman - will it be too big for my wrist?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Hard to say really. I've got a 305 and I have to have it pretty much as tight as it will go - I have relatively slim wrists but I'm not particularly small.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

The (now broken) 405 I have came with two straps. The original plastic one with a buckle is too big for my wrist but I fitted the velcro one they also supplied and it was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Fleagle wrote: »
    Thinking of getting one of these but am a small, skinny woman - will it be too big for my wrist?

I'm a size 10/12 and the 305 is a bit clunky on me, but it fits quite conformably. I wear it above my wrist bone, not between the wrist bone and the hand and I use the 3rd hole in the strap, so it would fit a smaller wrist than mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

menoscemo wrote: »
    I have a 405 and am running the Connemara ultra on Sunday. I'm hoping to get in under 6 hours and I'm concerned about the watch lasting the distance. The reason for the worry is that I wore my forerunner 405 and HRM in the Barcelona Marathon recently and completed the course in 3hr 24min. With a mile to go I got the bleep saying 'low battery' and at the end of the race my Garmin had less than 15% battery life left. I am pretty sure the battery was full before the race.

A week later I did a 5 hour LSR and was not expecting the battery to last the distance, but yet it had over 30% left at the end. Now the only difference I can think of is that I was not wearing the HRM strap on the 5 hour run.. could this be the case? Or maybe the Barcelona Run was just a freak occurence?

Thanks in advance guys.

Just thought I'd pop in an upadte for those interested. Seems HRM does not affect the battery life. With a fully charged battery and wearing the strap The watch lasted the whole Ultra course (5hrs50) and still had over 20% battery life left at the end.

It must have just been a blip in Barcelona or else I just didn't have it fully charged as I though.

Thanks for the 305 advice. Think I will go for it, it's such a good price on Amazon at the moment.

One more thing - does it charge by USB? Want to get it in the States and don't want to have to buy an adaptor.

Fleagle wrote: »
    Thanks for the 305 advice. Think I will go for it, it's such a good price on Amazon at the moment.

One more thing - does it charge by USB? Want to get it in the States and don't want to have to buy an adaptor.

Yes, it charges via USB.

It comes with a cradle with a USB socket that you use to download data to your computer and charge it from the PC or a charger.

Thanks huskerdu

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭fluboy

Sorry, having a problem with a recently bought 410. Lately it keeps turning itself on and off. The battery is only lasting roughly 4 hours while in training mode. Any advice is appreciated.

fluboy wrote: »
    Sorry, having a problem with a recently bought 410. Lately it keeps turning itself on and off. The battery is only lasting roughly 4 hours while in training mode. Any advice is appreciated.
    Turning itself on and off? What do you mean? The watch doesn't have an 'off'.
    If it's pretty new and the fully charged battery is only lasting four hours, I would contact Garmin about a replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭fluboy

There is a shut down button in the settings. It’s like it is rebooting itself. First it says low battery then it just goes blank, then it beeps and the Garmin name appears, then the time. This happens over and over again. Think it needs a trip to the hospital.:mad:

fluboy wrote: »
    There is a shut down button in the settings. It’s like it is rebooting itself. First it says low battery then it just goes blank, then it beeps and the Garmin name appears, then the time. This happens over and over again. Think it needs a trip to the hospital.:mad:

The '410' has an off button?

Try doing a hard reset. Check to see if there's a firmware update. The early releases tend to bit a bit flaky, until Garmin have had a chance to fix the bugs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Ok so went for what should have been a 21km run but took a wrong turn off and it ended up being around 27km...got home and uploaded the route and I can only see half of it though.

I'm using a Garmin 305 and after the 12km mark (or there abouts) on the run I checked the Map to try work out the rough direction I needed to go and from then on I could see the Garmin was recording my speed, HR, time, position (on the map) and distance for the total run and each lap.

However when I got home and uploaded the data both online and to the Garmin software it shows all my laps no bother but HR and speed etc after around the 12km mark is not recorded. Also its not on the map.

Any idea why this may be the case?

Here's the data http://connect.garmin.com/activity/79761915

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭JosDel

Hi,

Need some clarification on Elevation Loss & Gain..

Done some interval training on the kyber over the weekend..

Going up the hill the elevation gain was 89 and loss was 40

Goin back down the elevation gain was 41 and loss was 90..

What does this represent ? 89% was hill or 89 meters in height or ?

JosDel wrote: »
    Hi,

Need some clarifation on Elevation Loss & Gain..

Done some interval training on the kyber over the weekend..

Going up the hill the elevation gain was 89 and loss was 40

Goin back down the elevation gain was 41 and loss was 90..

What does this represent ? 89% was hill or 89 meters in height or ?

I assume it is measuring in metres.

Here is my understanding, and I hope this is clear.

On the outward leg, there was uphill bits and downhill bits. The uphill bits all totaled an elevation gain of 89 meters and the downhill bits totaled 40 metres elevation loss.

So at the end of the outward leg, you were 49 (89 - 40) metres higher than when you started.

The way back was the opposite. The numbers had rounded a bit differently on the way down, but that is not surprising.

Cabaal wrote: »
    Any idea why this may be the case?
    It looks like you're running the latest firmware, so it sounds like you may ran out of available memory. Do you clear out the watch occasionally, to free up some space?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

It looks like you're running the latest firmware, so it sounds like you may ran out of available memory. Do you clear out the watch occasionally, to free up some space?

How do you clear out a 305? I don't remember seeing an option to delete as you upload...

RayCun wrote: »
    How do you clear out a 305? I don't remember seeing an option to delete as you upload...
    Wrap it in a tea-towel, and stomp on it repeatedly with your heal. That should clear out any residual memory.

<sorry, couldn't resist>

(Page 33) To Delete laps or entire records from history:
    1. When viewing details for an activity
    3. Select delete entire Activity.

Or...

(Page 34): Deleting History
    After you have transferred old Forerunner data to Garmin Training centre, you may want to delete the history from your unit
    To Delete History:
    1. Press Mode to access the main memory, then select History > <sport> > Delete
    2. Select Keep 1 month, Keep 3 months, or Delete All. Select 'Yes' to confirm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

RayCun wrote: »

I selected an option to delete runs from the watch as soon as they upload. Can't remember where now but I think I did it through garmin connect?

A google would find out...

menoscemo wrote: »
    I selected an option to delete runs from the watch as soon as they upload. Can't remember where now but I think I did it through garmin connect?

A google would find out...
    That's probably in the Garmin ANT Agent (for a 405, right?) which doesn't apply to a 305.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Pretty sure the memory was wiped when I changed the firmware three days ago, I'll check later though to be sure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭JosDel

huskerdu wrote: »
    I assume it is measuring in metres.

Here is my understanding, and I hope this is clear.

On the outward leg, there was uphill bits and downhill bits. The uphill bits all totaled an elevation gain of 89 meters and the downhill bits totaled 40 metres elevation loss.

So at the end of the outward leg, you were 49 (89 - 40) metres higher than when you started.

The way back was the opposite. The numbers had rounded a bit differently on the way down, but that is not surprising.

Thanks Huskerdu,

Dont think there is any down hill bits on that uphill slope...or maybe there is, Just felt like it is all uphill..

Advertisement