Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Megathread-Ask your questions here-See post 1 on how to search thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

I have a FR110, its a fine watch and Ive no problems with it but I want to upgrade to something that can be used in cycling aswell as running. What do ya recommend for someone looking to switch between running/cycling easily?

Ta for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭El Director

Hey guys, tried searching for the answer to this here but I couldn't find it, if it has been asked already could you please post the link.

My mates 310xt has stopped recording distance, v annoying as we are on a training week and would like to record distances. Usually I can sort it out but not this time I'm afraid :(

Thanks in advance if anybody can help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭El Director

Hey guys, tried searching for the answer to this here but I couldn't find it, if it has been asked already could you please post the link.

My mates 310xt has stopped recording distance, v annoying as we are on a training week and would like to record distances. Usually I can sort it out but not this time I'm afraid :(

Thanks in advance if anybody can help.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

Mac user here. how do I get my 305 to show 1 mile splits on garmin connect ? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

rom wrote: »
    Mac user here. how do I get my 305 to show 1 mile splits on garmin connect ? Thanks

Splits are based on laps recorded on the watch. So as long as you have laps enabled, based on miles, they should get uploaded to GC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

Splits are based on laps recorded on the watch. So as long as you have laps enabled, based on miles, they should get uploaded to GC.

Someone I know can set it with their newer Garmin. I have gone through mine and can't set it. I don't want to have to tap the lap button every mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

rom wrote: »
    Someone I know can set it with their newer Garmin. I have gone through mine and can't set it. I don't want to have to tap the lap button every mile.

You dont have to. You can set the auto lap to 1 mile and it records it automatically.

Go to Menu / Training / Training Options / Auto Lap / By Distance

and set the distance to 1 mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,047 ✭✭✭✭event

god this thread is big

just received my new forerunner 305 wiht heart rate

is there anything extra i should download or is the software that came with it ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

You don't need any other software.
    Follow the directions in the post above yours to set AutoLap, it's very handy, the rest you can figure out easily enough.

event wrote: »
    god this thread is big

just received my new forerunner 305 wiht heart rate

is there anything extra i should download or is the software that came with it ok?

Enjoy your new toy.

Here is what I would do

Follow the setup instructions in the manual
    Read the manual
    Play with it a bit.
    Annoy your loved ones by boring them about all the features
    Read the manual again
    Go for a run
    Read the manual again
    When you have used it a few times, upload the data to connect.garmin.com
    Annoy your loved ones by boring them about all the features
    Read the manual again
    Go for a run

and so on.......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 TMB

Hi All

I am relatively new to running and have been using my iPhone to track my runs, however, I am now looking to invest in a running watch with all the features.

Can anyone recommend what watch would be best to buy I am looking at spending between 200 & 300 euro.

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Garmin 305 will only set you back about 100 euro on Amazon.
    405 looks nicer and is more expensive but (as far as I can tell) isn't any better.

Here is a repeat of the comparison of the popular runing Garmin watches.

Garmin Forerunner 305

Price - STG£200 with HRM (STG£118 on amazon.co.uk)
    Sports - Running, Cycling
    Size - Big and clunky
    HRM - Yes
    Battery life - 10 hours
    Features - Lots of options for advanced workouts, intervals, pace/time alerts,

Pro - Offers most of the features needed for amateur runners
    Cons - Ugly brute of a thing.

Garmin Forerunner 110

Price - STG£200 with HRM (STG£146 on amazon.co.uk)
    Sports - Running only
    Size - Small and neat ( girly version with pink stripe available)
    HRM - Some versions
    Features - No intervals, advanced workouts, alerts
    Battery life - 8 hours

Pros - Simple, offers pace/distance/time measurement with little complexity
    Cons - Limited features if your training gets more technical
    Cons - No real time pace info (average/lap pace only)

Garmin Forerunner 405

Price - STG£300 with HRM (STG£180 on amazon.co.uk)
    Sports - Running, cycling
    Size - Quite neat
    HRM - Some versions
    Features - Lots of options for advanced workouts, intervals, pace/time alerts,
    Battery life - 8 hours

Pros - Nicer looking than the 305
    Cons - More expensive than the 305
    Cons - Problematic Bezel
    Cons - Poor battery life

• Registered Users Posts: 7 allgo

I have a Garmin 110 which I love. My last race was the St Patricks 5k in Dublin and my watch never found a satellite at all so had to set off without it, hoping it would locate a satellite but it never did. That upset my whole run as had no idea then what pace I was running at etc. I'm running the Limerick half on Sunday and am worrying that the same thing might happen (I could cope without it (just about!) on a 5k, but I know I'll be upset if it happens over a half marathon). Any ideas anyone on how to avoid this happening again?

BTW, my head is spinning from reading this thread! I've never even downloaded my data. Must get on to that soon!

allgo wrote: »
    I have a Garmin 110 which I love. My last race was the St Patricks 5k in Dublin and my watch never found a satellite at all so had to set off without it, hoping it would locate a satellite but it never did. That upset my whole run as had no idea then what pace I was running at etc. I'm running the Limerick half on Sunday and am worrying that the same thing might happen (I could cope without it (just about!) on a 5k, but I know I'll be upset if it happens over a half marathon). Any ideas anyone on how to avoid this happening again?

BTW, my head is spinning from reading this thread! I've never even downloaded my data. Must get on to that soon!

It took my Garmin 15 minutes to find the satellites on St. Stephens Green before the St Patrick 5k. That has never happened before. I assume it was the tall buildings.

I dont know where the Limerick race is starting, but just make sure that you turn the watch on plenty of time in advance, away from loads of tall buildings.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 allgo

Thanks huskerdu. Will make sure I turn the watch on in plenty of time, and I'll watch out for those tall buildings too!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Rebelrunner

Not sure if this has been asked before:
    As I'm only recently purchased a 405, what do others have on their display for a marathon?
    Assuming you don’t want to be flicking between the displays too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Not sure if this has been asked before:
    As I'm only recently purchased a 405, what do others have on their display for a marathon?
    Assuming you don’t want to be flicking between the displays too much.

I have mine set to miles/time and average lap pace

Houston we have a problem......

My 405 is gone dead....the last couple of weeks it has been telling me that the battery is 100% all the time...so i kept it topped up before runs as i didnt know the real %...that was grand,but today even though i had it charging for an hour before i ran,it went dead after 10 mins...blank screen...1 beep and completely blank,when i plugged it in when i got home it straight away told me that it was 100% complete battery life again,when i unplug the charger it straight away goes off.

Help

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Fup Fup Fup

just dropped my garmin forerunner 405 and smashed the screen.

Does anybody know how or where to have it fixed??

Any advice much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Why goes my Garmin Forerunner 110 seem to keep forgetting my details? Any time I go into the menu it always has my age wrong and my weight wrong. I don't just mean a tiny bit out, I'm talking massive wrong. I've set it several times but it seems that any-time I go back and check it, it's wrong again.

I know when I finish my run I have to hold the rest button to save the work-out, but is it possible this is re-setting the age and weight fields too?

Sosa wrote: »
    Houston we have a problem......

My 405 is gone dead....the last couple of weeks it has been telling me that the battery is 100% all the time...so i kept it topped up before runs as i didnt know the real %...that was grand,but today even though i had it charging for an hour before i ran,it went dead after 10 mins...blank screen...1 beep and completely blank,when i plugged it in when i got home it straight away told me that it was 100% complete battery life again,when i unplug the charger it straight away goes off.

Help

It says in the 405 manual that the battery in the 405 is a "user replacable CR2032" thats the same as i have in my 50....and it also says that they have a 3yr life span...what are my options here then...does it hace to go back to garmin to be done or can any good jewellers fix this for me ?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Rebelrunner

Sosa wrote: »
    It says in the 405 manual that the battery in the 405 is a "user replacable CR2032" thats the same as i have in my 50....and it also says that they have a 3yr life span...what are my options here then...does it hace to go back to garmin to be done or can any good jewellers fix this for me ?

I'd get onto Garmin before doing anything. Once you hear there advice you can decide for yourself to listen to them or not...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

I just bought a garmin 305 of ebay, its a couple of years old and was just wondering if there is any problems that develop with them after a few years that I can look out for when I get it. Just want to make sure its in full working order before I decide to keep it. Never used one before so dont know anything about them

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

m.j.w wrote: »
    I just bought a garmin 305 of ebay, its a couple of years old and was just wondering if there is any problems that develop with them after a few years that I can look out for when I get it. Just want to make sure its in full working order before I decide to keep it. Never used one before so dont know anything about them
    I hope you didn't pay too much for it (€110 for a new one, with HRM). Make sure you get a decent charge from the battery (at least 8 hours), that the strap is in good condition, that all the buttons and the back-light work, and that the GPS records data and uploads it correctly afterwards.

Got it for 72 euro, supposed to be in good order and seller has great rating so hopefully its okay. Probably should have just paid the extra to get the new one:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

I hope you didn't pay too much for it (€110 for a new one, with HRM). Make sure you get a decent charge from the battery (at least 8 hours), that the strap is in good condition, that all the buttons and the back-light work, and that the GPS records data and uploads it correctly afterwards.

where can I get one for that price Krusty?

Aimman wrote: »
    where can I get one for that price Krusty?

you can buy them new on ebay for 99 pounds

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

sideswipe wrote: »
    Fup Fup Fup

just dropped my garmin forerunner 405 and smashed the screen.

Does anybody know how or where to have it fixed??

Any advice much appreciated.
    *Bump*

Have emailed garmin about having screen fixed and heard nothing back, anybody any experience with having a screen replaced or is it cheaper to buy a new one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Just wondering. When we run through tunnel in the Cork Marathon will satellite reception be lost? If it does will it refind the reception on exiting the tunnel? I've never lost reception while running so I don't know how the Garmin will behave. Thanks.

Advertisement