Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Megathread-Ask your questions here-See post 1 on how to search thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

outforarun wrote: »
    Just wondering. When we run through tunnel in the Cork Marathon will satellite reception be lost? If it does will it refind the reception on exiting the tunnel? I've never lost reception while running so I don't know how the Garmin will behave. Thanks.

I *think* it will refind reception and just draw a straight line from the point where it lost the reception. Your distance might be affected as a result.

If you want, go to Garmin Connect and search 'Cork City Marathon'. you can refine your search to the date of last years race...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Just wondering. When we run through tunnel in the Cork Marathon will satellite reception be lost? If it does will it refind the reception on exiting the tunnel? I've never lost reception while running so I don't know how the Garmin will behave. Thanks.
    Yes you will about 100 metres into the tunnel. My garmin tried to guestimate how far i had gone and put an extra half mile onto my distance. Credited me with a 4 minute mile and totally scewed all my stats esp average mile time.
    Probably not what you wanted to hear.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Yes, it will lose satellite reception and re-gain it once you come out of the tunnel. It will estimate that you ran a straight line between the two points.
    Oisin11178 wrote: »
    My garmin tried to guestimate how far i had gone and put an extra half mile onto my distance. Credited me with a 4 minute mile and totally scewed all my stats esp average mile time.

A friend of mine had his "auto-pause" set to on and got credited with a world record mile. The lesson is: Turn off the auto-pause feature. It will screw up both the distance and the time readings.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

The battery life of my 405 has really nose dived over last few days, and if I dont have it fully charged it will be dead "tomorrow" - when phones get into that state I usually upgrade/replace tbh

But are there any settings/options I can turn off when Im not using it to save power - like you can turn off 3g/data on a phone and it will almost last forever [and only turn on when you need to]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

G-Money wrote: »
    Why goes my Garmin Forerunner 110 seem to keep forgetting my details? Any time I go into the menu it always has my age wrong and my weight wrong. I don't just mean a tiny bit out, I'm talking massive wrong. I've set it several times but it seems that any-time I go back and check it, it's wrong again.

I know when I finish my run I have to hold the rest button to save the work-out, but is it possible this is re-setting the age and weight fields too?

I just checked this again there now by going into the menu and once again it had set my age to 41 and weight to 68kg. Any ideas why it's not remembering this info?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Thanks Menoscemo, Oisin11178 and TFBubendorfer.

Ok then I won't hope I can make it through the tunnel quickly enough.

I suspected alright that it would straight-line me from where it loses to where it refinds reception.

I've a Forerunner 110, I'm happy enough to ignore it around the tunnel and just read the average current mile pace for the remaining good miles. Don't know if 110 has auto-pause or not, I'll check and switch it off if it does.

I won't be depebding on the Garmin for pacing, but it would have been nice to have an uninterrupted record of the race.

Good idea to check GarminConnect for last year's race.

Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

I just checked this again there now by going into the menu and once again it had set my age to 41 and weight to 68kg. Any ideas why it's not remembering this info?

I wonder is the watch getting conflicting information from the training center software which also holds users info.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Is it always resetting it to 41 and 68kg ? Or does it change each time ?

Woddle made a good suggestion. Is this what is set in your profile in Training Center ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Maybe its a preminition. Maybe when you are 41, you are going to be 68kg.

GPS is just great, isn't it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Woddle wrote: »
    I wonder is the watch getting conflicting information from the training center software which also holds users info.

Yes, I believe it sincronises with Garmin training centre (or garmin Connect) each time you upload a run. Check the settings in there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 TMB

Hi All I just bought a Garmin 305 following people's recommendations & comments on here so thanks!

I have a quick question in relation to the HRM. The last two days I went for an easy 5K run. However, it said my average heart rate was 185bpm yesterday & 190bpm today - could this be right - I thought it seems very high, I'm 24 and my resting HR is 64bmp.

Any comments appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭dev123

I suppose the question is how hard were you running those 5kms?

If you were at full tilt I think you would expect to be up in the 170-200 range as you are at 100% effort.

If it was an easy 5ks I would be more concerned.

I have a silimlar resting heart rate and would be up at thos HRs when I am flat out.

Hope this helps

Sorry, just noticed the "easy" part of your "easy 5k". Peoples perception of easy may differ so you may be at a high end of exersion.

Before you start running is the Garmin giving you a heart rate in or around your resting heart rate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 TMB

Thanks Dev - when I start out it is reading my HR to be 64 and within 5 minutes its up to aprox 190bpm - so it seems to be reading my HR correctly starting out anyway.

I do push myself on an easy run but by no means am I flat out.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭psychozeb

trying to download the update for my fr110 from garmin connect but keeps sayiny insufficient disk space.have cleared all data from the watch so this shouldn't be the problen.any ideas how to sort it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,998 ✭✭✭opus

psychozeb wrote: »
    trying to download the update for my fr110 from garmin connect but keeps sayiny insufficient disk space.have cleared all data from the watch so this shouldn't be the problen.any ideas how to sort it?

Not enough space on your PC's hard drive maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭psychozeb

opus wrote: »
    Not enough space on your PC's hard drive maybe?
    loads of room on hard drive on computer.has anyone else updated one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Im sure this has been asked before but I cant find thread sorry..

I use a 405 which is pants for anything longer than 4 hours , but on a rare good day it will go to 7 ( unexpectedly)
    I am considering getting a different one as I would like to stay doing long ultras out of range of 405. I only use if for running but need a battery that lasts far longer. I reckon I have just enough time to get one on ebay before my race in two weeks time.
    Which model do I get and can I use my 405 heart monitor with it?

I only use if for pace/distance /time and HRM. UPload the runs but dont ever look at them on computer, and dont put training things on either. I just run and write it in my diary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

I use a 405 which is pants for anything longer than 4 hours , but on a rare good day it will go to 7 ( unexpectedly)
    I am considering getting a different one as I would like to stay doing long ultras out of range of 405. I only use if for running but need a battery that lasts far longer. I reckon I have just enough time to get one on ebay before my race in two weeks time.

I only use if for pace/distance /time and HRM. UPload the runs but dont ever look at them on computer, and dont put training things on either. I just run and write it in my diary.

I just ordered a Garmin 305 off Amazon for £99 last Wednesday evening. It arrived this morning, just back now from giving it a trial run.

The battery lasts up to 10 hours on them, and you also get the heart rate strap with it. It should be compatable to you 405 strap and can be kept as a back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Is that what you used in Limerick?
    Im wondering in reality if it DOES last 8 hours and if that is long enough for future needs. is this as long as you will get on one of these things?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Is that what you used in Limerick?
    Im wondering in reality if it DOES last 8 hours and if that is long enough for future needs. is this as long as you will get on one of these things?

The one I used in Limerick was the 205, which went belly up the next day. But it's the exact same as the 305, but without the HRM. It has a nice big screen to hold all the information and doesnt use the bezel (which can act up sometimes i believe)

The 205 lasted over 10 hours in Dingle Ultra last year. That was between switching it on before the start and leaving it on a while after the race. The 305 should have the same battery life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

If battery life is your main concern the Garmin 310xt is your best option, as its battery lasts for 20 hours.

It has a few features aimed at triathletes which you won't need, but it's a perfectly good running watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Stupid garmin 405 has been acting up again since I put the latest update on. During the run it keeps resetting itself and returning to clock time. Might try a hard reset

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭dernipper

Hi There,

Appreciate some suggestions if anyone can assist, had a look at the thread but did not seem to see an answer.

Can not get my HRM to pair with my Garmin 410, have reviewed the manuals with the product but no joy to date. The garmin itself works no problem and have been using it since the start of the year. Any suggestions or something I could try?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

dernipper wrote: »
    Hi There,

Appreciate some suggestions if anyone can assist, had a look at the thread but did not seem to see an answer.

Can not get my HRM to pair with my Garmin 410, have reviewed the manuals with the product but no joy to date. The garmin itself works no problem and have been using it since the start of the year. Any suggestions or something I could try?
    Hi there, it could be that your HRM isn't working. Have you opened up the battery cover to make sure that there isn't a tab/piece of paper isolating the battery? You could try changing the battery, or trying someone else's HRM, or try your HRM with someone else's watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭dernipper

Thanks, I was beginning to think it was a fault with the HRM more than anything else, will try the enclosed and let you know how I get on. Thanks for taking the time to reply, much appreciated !

Hi there, it could be that your HRM isn't working. Have you opened up the battery cover to make sure that there isn't a tab/piece of paper isolating the battery? You could try changing the battery, or trying someone else's HRM, or try your HRM with someone else's watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭ElectraX

Apologies if this query has come up in the thread before-I thought I had stopped my Garmin after a 5 mile race this morning, but clearly didnt:rolleyes: Can't work out how to delete the extra laps-lap 6 and 7.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/85775012

I tried deleting these laps in Training Centre then re-uploading the data to Garmin Connect but it hasn't worked.Also tried deleting them on watch itself,but there seems to only be the option to delete the whole run.

Any help appreciated!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

ElectraX wrote: »
    I tried deleting these laps in Training Centre then re-uploading the data to Garmin Connect but it hasn't worked.Also tried deleting them on watch itself,but there seems to only be the option to delete the whole run.
    That should work fine. Make sure that you've deleted the old activity from Garmin Connect First. The other route is exporting the activity as a TCX, and then editing the XML to remove the extra laps, but your suggestion is a lot easier. If it still isn't working, reply and I'll post an edited activity that you can upload.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭ElectraX

Thanks Krusty-I actually used the method you mentioned of exporting a txc file from Garmin Connect, and then uploaded it and modified it in Training Centre, then reuploaded it to Connect and it worked:D

My runs are not impressive enough in the first place to be able to afford extra slow laps:D

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Patrick_K

A new feature in Garmin Connect was just pointed out to me - new to me anyway, maybe I just haven't spotted it before.
    'Compare Activities' where you can select multiple activities (up to 4 I think) and display then in the one view. Handy for comparing long runs or races of same length etc ....
    In your Activities view you select your activities and click 'Compare Activities' beside 'Quick Edit'/'Delete'.

PK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Hi Garmin Doctors,

My trusty 305 was working earlier on a run. Later this evening I went to do my usual upload and power didn't show up on the 305 and it didn't register as visible on the PC for a transfer. I then tried to turn on watch and nothing. Tried to power watch up using a plug adapter into the forerunner base and nothing. Running out of ideas? Is there an internal battery that may have run its course and need replacement perhaps?

Advertisement