Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Megathread-Ask your questions here-See post 1 on how to search thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Hi SJ
    same happened me during the week with the 405, screen went blank, to get it back I did a reset - holding the 2 buttons till a horizontal line comes on and bingo garmin reset. Can't remember how you reset the 305

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Hi Garmin Doctors,

My trusty 305 was working earlier on a run. Later this evening I went to do my usual upload and power didn't show up on the 305 and it didn't register as visible on the PC for a transfer. I then tried to turn on watch and nothing. Tried to power watch up using a plug adapter into the forerunner base and nothing. Running out of ideas? Is there an internal battery that may have run its course and need replacement perhaps?

Have you switched the "ON" button on your PC?;)

Your device may have temporarily locked up due to the lack of being charged. In order to "wake up" the unit, please follow these steps:

Connect the unit to the available power source (USB)
    Press reset and mode for 3 seconds and then release. Once you have done this please attempt to power the device on.
    Allow the unit to charge briefly (15 to 30 minutes), and it should then be ready for use.

That'll be €9.95 please, make the cheque out to Krusty, for tax reasons.

Well, did it work? (its my first time giving advice on this thread!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Wow. The device answers to your geeky wizardy. More money on the 'owe to KC' list so.

Wow. The device answers to your geeky wizardy. More money on the 'owe to KC' list so.

Whoo-hoo! Sub 2:50 marathon here I come!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Admit it you've been stalking this thread waiting to give advice in KC's absence. That, or you are waiting to ban someone for looking for get well advice for their sick watch :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Hi guys,

Total novice at running just wondering what garmin you would recommend for a

beginner thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

luzon wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Total novice at running just wondering what garmin you would recommend for a

beginner thanks.
    I would recommend the same watch to a beginner as I would recommend to a more serious runner. Better to buy a watch with more features than you'll need that you can grow into to, rather than buy a watch, find out later that it doesn't have what you need, and be forced to buy another. The 305 and 405 are both good watches, that will meet your needs if running is your thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Is there a means of editing the map file so that gaps can be closed where they occur in a record?

I'm hoping something like the Map My Run feature where you can plot a course by clicking on a road. I have a file from a long cycle at the weekend and the first 30k is missing for some reason.

Is there a means of editing the map file so that gaps can be closed where they occur in a record?

I'm hoping something like the Map My Run feature where you can plot a course by clicking on a road. I have a file from a long cycle at the weekend and the first 30k is missing for some reason.
    You can do it in Sportstracks. There's a manual map-editing tool so you can fill in the gaps at the start or end of your workout, but not in GC unfortunately.

A couple of other options:
    1) Edit the XML manually and add the missing track-points - Not really worth the hassle!
    2) Export the activity as GPX. Download and install Garmin MapSource, and you should be able to edit the activity and add the missing segments, but I don't think you'll be able to re-upload it to GC, as it won't have the necessary meta-data (time-stamps and all that).
    3) You can edit the activity in GC and add the missing miles to the 'Distance' field, but not the actual route itself.

The previous version of Garmin Connect (can't remember what it was called) allowed you to merge two activities, but that functionality isn't in GC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Thanks KC.

Sport tracks is not Mac compatible if I remember correctly. Will try the GPX export and mapsource option.

Thanks KC.

Sport tracks is not Mac compatible if I remember correctly. Will try the GPX export and mapsource option.
    It's only really useful if you plan on using the tracklog/activity elsewhere (like publishing on a website). Like I said, it's very unlikely that it will import back into Garmin Connect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Hi guys,

Had problems with my Garmin405 a couple of times this week. First time I had checked earlier in the day (I think) and battery was 85%. Went to go for a run that night and it was dead.

Charged it up fully and went to go run 2 days later and when I was trying to switch on GPS it kept re-booting itself. This turned out to happen no matter what I tried. I searched the net and tried a soft re-boot as it is referred to. As this resets the battery I then re-charged it again.

This seemed to work. Was doing a 2.5 mile race last night. Did a 2.5 mile warm up and the race and everything was fine. Then did a last lap as a warm down and it shut down after about a mile. Ran on anyway and when I was walking back to the car it re-booted up with the battery low. When I checked the battery it was 0%.

Obviously it is normal to get a lot longer from a battery (it was over 90% before I started)

Any recommendations? Is this just a battery problem or is there a problem with the display or what?

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Had problems with my Garmin405 a couple of times this week. First time I had checked earlier in the day (I think) and battery was 85%. Went to go for a run that night and it was dead.

Charged it up fully and went to go run 2 days later and when I was trying to switch on GPS it kept re-booting itself. This turned out to happen no matter what I tried. I searched the net and tried a soft re-boot as it is referred to. As this resets the battery I then re-charged it again.

This seemed to work. Was doing a 2.5 mile race last night. Did a 2.5 mile warm up and the race and everything was fine. Then did a last lap as a warm down and it shut down after about a mile. Ran on anyway and when I was walking back to the car it re-booted up with the battery low. When I checked the battery it was 0%.

Obviously it is normal to get a lot longer from a battery (it was over 90% before I started)

Any recommendations? Is this just a battery problem or is there a problem with the display or what?

Just to give some more information I took it off charge there to update my training log. It was around 20% when I took it off. When I plugged it back in it is showing at 100% :mad:

Have left it plugged in. Will it keep charging even though showing fully charged?

Just to give some more information I took it off charge there to update my training log. It was around 20% when I took it off. When I plugged it back in it is showing at 100% :mad:

Have left it plugged in. Will it keep charging even though showing fully charged?
    Hi pistol_75, how long have you had the watch? Have you had problems with it previously?

Step 1: Make sure your firmware is up to date. You can check the watch, or just look at one of your recent activities in Garmin Connect. For the 405 it should be: 2.70.0.0
    Step 2: Do a hard reset (rather than a soft reset).
    Step 3: If it's still causing problems, it's time to contact Garmin support. It's very erratic behaviour. By the way, you don't have to unplug it, to upload to Garmin Connect. My 405 is usually plugged into the laptop (for charging) that I also use for uploading activities.

Hi Pistol
    You could try this if you think it's the 2.70 firmware causing the trouble
    https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=17062

Hi pistol_75, how long have you had the watch? Have you had problems with it previously?

Step 1: Make sure your firmware is up to date. You can check the watch, or just look at one of your recent activities in Garmin Connect. For the 405 it should be: 2.70.0.0
    Step 2: Do a hard reset (rather than a soft reset).
    Step 3: If it's still causing problems, it's time to contact Garmin support. It's very erratic behaviour. By the way, you don't have to unplug it, to upload to Garmin Connect. My 405 is usually plugged into the laptop (for charging) that I also use for uploading activities.

Thanks for your response Krusty.

I have had the watch since November and no problems with it previously.

I have checked the firmware and it is 2.50. I'll try and update it later. Due to security restrictions on my work laptop have to use my wifes.

I wasn't unplugging it to upload just to check the data on the watch. Will complete upload later of data in case I have to do a hard reset. Does the hard reset clear all your user settings as well?

Mine also says 2.50 but when I try to update to 2.70 it says I already have. Getting very annoyed with my garmin at the moment. There's at least one incident in every run now were the watch reboots.

I wasn't unplugging it to upload just to check the data on the watch. Will complete upload later of data in case I have to do a hard reset. Does the hard reset clear all your user settings as well?
    Yes, it does clear all of your user settings, but they only take a minute to re-enter. Not sure if it wipes out your total number of miles covered, but I guess it probably would. I'm not sure that upgrading to 2.7 will fix your problems, but it's certainly worth a try, as that's a couple of firmware upgrades you've missed.

Woddle wrote: »
    Mine also says 2.50 but when I try to update to 2.70 it says I already have. Getting very annoyed with my garmin at the moment. There's at least one incident in every run now were the watch reboots.
    Hmm.. I'd go for the hard reset and upgrade. Sounds like you have some kind of dodgy hodge-podge of firmware updates.

I had an annoying one last night too. Went for two runs yesterday. The first one was perfect. The second run I couldn't get a satellite signal despite standing still for about 5 minutes (in the cold). Couldn't get the accuracy below 184m. Very annoying. The US must have been rebooting the satellite network.

• Advertisement

Hmm.. I'd go for the hard reset and upgrade. Sounds like you have some kind of dodgy hodge-podge of firmware updates.

Cheers for the feedback krusty. I did the hard reset and have now checked the About in settings and it reads software version 2.70, GPS 2.10.
    Is this correct or do I need to go now and update the GPS version. Thanks

Woddle wrote: »
    Cheers for the feedback krusty. I did the hard reset and have now checked the About in settings and it reads software version 2.70, GPS 2.10.
    Is this correct or do I need to go now and update the GPS version. Thanks
    Nope, that's spot-on. If it's still causing you problems, remember, never start a run until you have a satellite accuracy of 40 feet (10m) or lower. If it's still causing you problems (after a hard reset) and it's a couple of years out of warranty (think you've had yours years, right?) then you can still see if Garmin will fix it for you, but there will likely be a cost involved.

Thanks again Krusty fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

never start a run until you have a satellite accuracy of 40 feet (10m) or lower.

Interesting. Is this advice specific to the 405. I have a 305 and the satellite is located or not. No information give about the accuracy.

huskerdu wrote: »
    Interesting. Is this advice specific to the 405. I have a 305 and the satellite is located or not. No information give about the accuracy.
    Not sure I understand your post, but the advice is true of all Forerunners. It is best not to start a run until the watch is reporting an accuracy below 40 feet/10m (my own figures). Otherwise, the watch will struggle to 'on the fly' to receive pick up additional satellite data streams, and any data you do receive will be skewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Not sure I understand your post, but the advice is true of all Forerunners. It is best not to start a run until the watch is reporting an accuracy below 40 feet/10m (my own figures). Otherwise, the watch will struggle to 'on the fly' to receive pick up additional satellite data streams, and any data you do receive will be skewed.

Thanks, I didn't know you could check the accuracy. I was going to ask you how, but decided to RTFM instead. Radical idea, I know, but surprisingly effective.

Will look at the accuracy next time I have it on outside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Is Garmin Connect down for anyone else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

G-Money wrote: »
    Is Garmin Connect down for anyone else?

Actually seems to be back up, just taking a long time to upload one particular workout, grrrrr.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Dukie

Big thanks to Krusty for this.....

Walking down to the start line of the Cork Marathon yesterday morning - looked at my Garmin & it said it was 10:25.
    Tried to unlock the bezel.... nothing, everything was frozen, panic set in. Sprinted back to the hotel room, grabbed my phone, ate the head off the wife!, on to Boards, Garmin Megathread and searched for "soft reset". Everything sorted.

Best. Thread. Ever :D

• Advertisement

Dukie wrote: »
    Big thanks to Krusty for this.....
    Wow. I didn't even have to do anything. I am Uri Geller. :)

Advertisement