Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Megathread-Ask your questions here-See post 1 on how to search thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

Hi , i have the 305 forerunner , which i got in the States , ive changed it to kms and it records the total distance in kms but always gives me the updates of the splits in miles , im not sure if you can change this ? anyway want to upgrade to the 405 , have a mate who goes to the States regularly who can get it cheap , however will i have the same problem with the split reports always given in miles regardless of me changing the setting to the metric system ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Seres wrote: »
    Hi , i have the 305 forerunner , which i got in the States , ive changed it to kms and it records the total distance in kms but always gives me the updates of the splits in miles , im not sure if you can change this ? anyway want to upgrade to the 405 , have a mate who goes to the States regularly who can get it cheap , however will i have the same problem with the split reports always given in miles regardless of me changing the setting to the metric system ?
    Nope, no problem at all. You actually manually select when (distance) you want the splits to happen on the watch. So if you look at your lap distance on the watch, it's probably set to lap every 1.61kms.

Nope, no problem at all. You actually manually select when (distance) you want the splits to happen on the watch. So if you look at your lap distance on the watch, it's probably set to lap every 1.61kms.
    thanks , cant believe i left it like that for so long :o

Seres wrote: »
    thanks , cant believe i left it like that for so long :o
    By the way, I ordered my replacement 405 from Amazon.com and had it sent to where my buddy was staying in the US. Then he carried it back for me. Worked out at just less than €130.

By the way, I ordered my replacement 405 from Amazon.com and had it sent to where my buddy was staying in the US. Then he carried it back for me. Worked out at just less than €130.
    thanks , gonna do that now before i hit the sack , need a little race reward :) , just tried ordering a pair of brooks to be delivered to the states but the shipping address has to be the same as the registered address for the credit card :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭D Chief

I ran an interval session at lunchtime today but it does not seem to be recorded on my Garmin 405. I know it was on because I used it constantly to judge my pace during the session. I went to transfer my runs to the laptop this evening and it just uploaded runs for last Friday and Sunday, nothing for today. I checked the watch, history - activities and I can't find any record of today's run. I turned Force Send on and uploaded again but still no joy.

Is it gone for good or is there any way to recover the data?
    How could it lose an activity? Is it possible there was not enough memory to store another activity?

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

Ok, so my 305 appears to be flaky. Had several resets, hard and soft. Occasionally starts and I can't get the data off it, including Sundays Carauntoohil race which is very annoying.

This was a replacement(through Garmin at a good price) for one which got fried by moisture after 2.5 years service. I don't think I want to go with another 305, too many problems with moisture.

I have a mate in the states coming back Sunday for a holiday. Which Garmin should I get to replace the 305? Is it a straight choice between the 410 & the 310XT.

D Chief wrote: »
    I ran an interval session at lunchtime today but it does not seem to be recorded on my Garmin 405. I know it was on because I used it constantly to judge my pace during the session. I went to transfer my runs to the laptop this evening and it just uploaded runs for last Friday and Sunday, nothing for today. I checked the watch, history - activities and I can't find any record of today's run. I turned Force Send on and uploaded again but still no joy.

Is it gone for good or is there any way to recover the data?
    How could it lose an activity? Is it possible there was not enough memory to store another activity?
    Are you sure the activity is stopped/completed? Hold the right of the bezel to make sure its not still recording trackpoints. Hold the lap button to terminate the last activity.

jeffontour wrote: »
    Ok, so my 305 appears to be flaky. Had several resets, hard and soft. Occasionally starts and I can't get the data off it, including Sundays Carauntoohil race which is very annoying.

This was a replacement(through Garmin at a good price) for one which got fried by moisture after 2.5 years service. I don't think I want to go with another 305, too many problems with moisture.

I have a mate in the states coming back Sunday for a holiday. Which Garmin should I get to replace the 305? Is it a straight choice between the 410 & the 310XT.
    If you want the battery life, it'll have to be the 310xt.

Are you sure the activity is stopped/completed? Hold the right of the bezel to make sure its not still recording trackpoints. Hold the lap button to terminate the last activity.

Yeah, I did do that. It was not still recording and I did a reset again anyway.
    I have just now turned it on for 5 seconds, did a stop and reset and it recorded that 'activity' ok. It shows up on the history with last Sunday's run next. I am fairly sure I did a proper stop and reset after the run this afternoon.

• Advertisement

I have just now turned it on for 5 seconds, did a stop and reset and it recorded that 'activity' ok. It shows up on the history with last Sunday's run next. I am fairly sure I did a proper stop and reset after the run this afternoon.

Then I'm stumped. Dissapearing workouts? That's a new('ish) one!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭plodder

Did you check if it was uploaded as part of Sunday's activity?

I eventually managed to get my 305 to hard reset in the wee hours of the morning. Ran in with it this morning and all seems ok.

Interestingly that when I was checking prices for the 310 on Amazon there was very little price differential between the UK & US sites. I think I would have saved a tenner getting it from the states.

Here's hoping the 305 continues to work but I have had my head turned by the prospect of 20 hours battery life and waterproof claims of the 310....

I eventually managed to get my 305 to hard reset in the wee hours of the morning. Ran in with it this morning and all seems ok.

Interestingly that when I was checking prices for the 310 on Amazon there was very little price differential between the UK & US sites. I think I would have saved a tenner getting it from the states.

Here's hoping the 305 continues to work but I have had my head turned by the prospect of 20 hours battery life and waterproof claims of the 310....
    Sterling must have weakened slightly against the euro (along with the dollar). €245 from Amazon.co.uk is a very good price for that watch. I wouldn't expect a 20 hour battery life though. Others may be able to comment more, but probably 15 hours is a more likely scenario.

I have bought one of those cheap Duracell USB chargers (€4 in Tesco) and a female to female USB adapter from eBay, to see if I can recharge the watch on the hoof. Not sure if it will continue to record track-points while it's still charging. Will report back in a couple of weeks.

plodder wrote: »
    Did you check if it was uploaded as part of Sunday's activity?

Yes, that's what happened alright. Once I noticed that yesterday's activity was missing I never even looked at the other 2 runs that I had uploaded.

On Garmin Connect it shows

Time: 02:07:11
    Moving Time: 02:05:24
    Elapsed Time: 75:27:32

I will look into splitting the TCX file in 2 this evening.

Thanks, plodder.

Yes, that's what happened alright. Once I noticed that yesterday's activity was missing I never even looked at the other 2 runs that I had uploaded.
    Ahh. So I was right. You just failed to terminate a previous activity.
    /me feels vindicated.

Sterling must have weakened slightly against the euro (along with the dollar). €245 from Amazon.co.uk is a very good price for that watch.

Price is great for sure, very tempting.
    I wouldn't expect a 20 hour battery life though. Others may be able to comment more, but probably 15 hours is a more likely scenario.

The battery life I think is probably do-able. I find I can get approaching 12 hours from the 305.

Price is great for sure, very tempting.
    But if your 305 is still working best to hold out as long as possible. Not trying to encourage you to upgrade. I'm not on commission. Honest! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Rebelrunner

Hi all - I did the CCM and had an issue with 405CX. I had auto pause turned off for the tunnel. And all was fine until before the tunnel. I didn't have auto scroll enabled but I think I locked the bezel at one stage (not 100% certain of this) and this is when the trouble started. Next time I looked it showed the time on the screen. With the bezel unlocked I tried holding down training to get back to the data fields but it wouldn't go back (thoughtit might be due to bezel and sweaty finger but it wouldn't do anything). It kept recording data and giving me my pace update at every mile, and then would go back to showing time again, so I couldn't see the training data fields in between these updates. I tried pressing the stop and lap buttons but they had no effect either and had difficulty stopping it at the end of the marathon.

This hasn't happened me before on LSR so was very fustrating to happen during the marathon. I haven't gone for a run since but it looks ok since. Just want to prevent this from happening again. Thanks.

This hasn't happened me before on LSR so was very fustrating to happen during the marathon. I haven't gone for a run since but it looks ok since. Just want to prevent this from happening again. Thanks.
    Avoid the Jack Lynch Tunnel. :) I've found then when the watch loses GPS signal, it can act a little erratically. Make sure your firmware is up to date (not sure what the latest firmware revision is for the 405cx) and make sure you disable [Timeout] in the watch menu.

• Advertisement

Avoid the Jack Lynch Tunnel. :) I've found then when the watch loses GPS signal, it can act a little erratically. Make sure your firmware is up to date (not sure what the latest firmware revision is for the 405cx) and make sure you disable [Timeout] in the watch menu.
    Thanks for the quick reply,
    - Avoiding tunnel - can't be helped in CCM unless you want to make a swim for it - also would not be good for 405
    - Firmware is uptodate as of 2 weeks ago
    - Timeout - this could be the cause alright, as in training I have probably been touching bezel often enough as not to timeout, but in the marathon I left it on the single data-field. Only pity I couldn't turn back the clock, as running the marathon blind wasn't good :), although it probably wouldn't have made a huge difference to the outcome as watch wasn't the only thing to go against me on the day :(.
    Thanks Krusty for solving this for me, as was bugging me since.

Timeout - this could be the cause alright
    Not necessarily so. If the watch had timed out, I would expect it to have stopped recording track-points (you mentioned that it kept on recording, right?). So it sounds like there might be some kind of bug somewhere, probably related to when you lost the satellite signal in the tunnel.

Not necessarily so. If the watch had timed out, I would expect it to have stopped recording track-points (you mentioned that it kept on recording, right?). So it sounds like there might be some kind of bug somewhere, probably related to when you lost the satellite signal in the tunnel.

Yea it kept recording alright as I have the data to prove and lap updates kept working. Although I'm not 100% certain had the problem started before I hit the tunnel as the specific timing of it happening is a bit of a haze.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭plodder

On Garmin Connect it shows

Time: 02:07:11
    Moving Time: 02:05:24
    Elapsed Time: 75:27:32

I will look into splitting the TCX file in 2 this evening.
    It's a pain in the arse when that happens. The software in GC (and others like Sportstracks) should be able to notice when an activity spans multiple days or there is a huge difference in time or location between the different tracks in an activity. They should ask you do you want to split them into separate activities. The only reliable way to avoid it is to reset before you start each run, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Redjeep!

Does anybody know why my Forerunner won't connect since I downloaded Garmin Communicator ?

Redjeep! wrote: »
    Does anybody know why my Forerunner won't connect since I downloaded Garmin Communicator ?
    You've got to provide us with some more information.
    Which model of forerunner?
    Is there an error message?
    What happens?
    Does it still upload to your computer?
    Does it upload to Garmin Training Centre?

Sorry Krusty,

It's a 305 and has worked flawlessly for about 3 years until I downloaded Garmin Communicator last weekend for a Garmin Nuvi. Since then everytime I plug either the FR or the Nuvi in, the computer won't recognise that anything is connected.

I can't connect to either and Training Centre just doesn't recognise that anything is connected. I've downloaded the Garmin USB drivers as well as tried different computers & leads.

What happens when you hit the Garmin Communicator plugin test page?
    Have you seen this FAQ?

What happens when you hit the Garmin Communicator plugin test page?
    Have you seen this FAQ?

It just tells me that the GPS device isn't connected. I've been through the FAQ's and it just seems to tell me to download the drivers, which I've done and installed.

• Advertisement

Hi Krusty. Thanks for your help.

I've just downloaded the drivers again and the Forerunner is now connecting OK to Training Centre. Can't see what I did differently.

The Nuvi still isn't recognised :(.

Advertisement