Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Megathread-Ask your questions here-See post 1 on how to search thread

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Just reporting back on my garmin 405 which broke at the beginning of April. (it was 14 months old) The shop finally got a replacement for it so I have a brand new watch in the box. Took a while but a good result in the end. They did say the return rate for 405s is very high. Something to be aware of if youre buying one.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭cantswim

robinph wrote: »
    https://buy.garmin.com/shop/store/fr310update.jsp?null&ra=true

New firmware update for the 310XT. Have added per second recording, sunrise/ sunset, fixed the recovery HR not clearing, fixed distance when you go through a tunnel (bit late for Cork) and a bunch of other things as well.

Is it just me or do the data fields set up on particular views reset on a firmware update? Kinda annoying to have to set them up again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I've noticed the battery on my Garmin Forerunner 110 seems to have dropped quite a bit in the last two days. I charged it up on two nights ago and used it walking to and from work yesterday and this morning too and I'm already getting a low battery warning sign which seems far too soon.

Anyone else had this?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭househunter

I forgot to press stop on my Garmin at the end of the Dunshaughlin 10k at the weekend. In order to have a proper record of the race, can I delete the end bit? I know I can edit it etc. but am afraid to do it in case I lose something. Anyone know the best way to do this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I forgot to press stop on my Garmin at the end of the Dunshaughlin 10k at the weekend. In order to have a proper record of the race, can I delete the end bit? I know I can edit it etc. but am afraid to do it in case I lose something. Anyone know the best way to do this?

No idea if this is possible, but try checking the Garmin connect website to see if it will let you edit the information on the website after you've uploaded it.

Or possibly use the Garmin Training Centre software to see if it will let you do something similar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭JosDel

G-Money wrote: »
    No idea if this is possible, but try checking the Garmin connect website to see if it will let you edit the information on the website after you've uploaded it.

Or possibly use the Garmin Training Centre software to see if it will let you do something similar.

Krusty Clown is your man here, he done me a big favour last year with the same problem,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

So I wasn't the only one :)

@JosDel actually I found that eventually so am gonna try it myself
    @neilc Yeah, I think I was delirious at that stage :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

If you use autolap it is very easy to delete rogue laps on the watch itself or my editting the file afterwards.

I know it is too late for now, but it is another good reason for using autolap.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

@JosDel actually I found that eventually so am gonna try it myself
    If you get stuck, send on a link to the activity in Garmin Connect.

• Advertisement

Thanks Krusty. I may call on you yet! Had a look at the file but haven't edited it yet but will give it a shot today at some stage.

OK, so I've removed the trackpoints and edited the lap time but do I need to edit the lap distance too and do I need to edit overall time and distance too? Theres an extra lap that needs to be deleted too. I guess I can just go ahead and delete that?
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/95404763

Just in case its easier to do it than to explain it :)

OK, so I've removed the trackpoints and edited the lap time but do I need to edit the lap distance too and do I need to edit overall time and distance too? Theres an extra lap that needs to be deleted too. I guess I can just go ahead and delete that?
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/95404763

Just in case its easier to do it than to explain it :)
    Hi househunter, if you want to do this yourself:
    1) Delete your 8th lap in its entirety.
    2) Your seventh lap will include some part of the end of the race, and some part of your drive home. :). Look at the trackpoints in lap 7, and try to identify where your race finished, and remove any subsequent track-points. You can base this on the time you would've completed the race, and also your speed recorded in those trackpoints.

Yes, if you want the correct time/distance reflected in Garmin Connect, you will need to update those too, but the easier mechanism would be to change these in Garmin Connect. Click on the [Edit Summary Activity] Pencil Icon, to the right of the [Summary] label, after you have uploaded the new TCX/GPX file.

Perfect!!! Thanks Krusty :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭digiman

What are the recommendations on what to buy? I will be using it for both running and cycling. Is a GPS watch worth the extra money compared to say sportstracker for your phone?

digiman wrote: »
    What are the recommendations on what to buy? I will be using it for both running and cycling. Is a GPS watch worth the extra money compared to say sportstracker for your phone?
    If you're an occasional runner/cyclist, then sportstracker will probably do you fine. If you spend a lot of time running/cycling, then a purpose-built device makes more sense, as:
    You don't need to carry your phone around
    It's more accurate
    It's waterproof (to IPX7)
    Better battery life (as compared to a smart phone with GPS turned on)
    Support for additional devices via ANT+ (like a HR monitor (though you can get a compatible solution for your smart phone too), cadence sensors for your bike, etc.

As to which model best suits your needs, it depends on your demands, budget etc. The Forerunner 305 is still great value from Amazon.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭macgrub

Hey Digiman, I'm no expert on GPS devices,however, I swear by my Garmin 305. It's quick to pick up the satellites , easy to use and the battery has a good life. Since it's just a GPS device, the battery is dedicated for that purpose (rather than a phone), hence my reason for getting it. Like yourself, I got mine for both running and cycling. For cycling, this accessory is a must:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000ONDECY/ref=oss_product

It comes with a clip to attach to your handle-bars as well as a second velcro (excellent) strap, so it makes your watch easy to clip on and off your wrist to bike.
    Hope that was some help.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Sorry, dont have time to search thread [as im sure this has come up a good few times] and this question keeps drifting in and out of my mind..

Im on holidays for 9/10 days in a couple of weeks, and I intend to bring running stuff with me, just to get out a couple of early mornings and keep fitness up as Im well into marathon training plan [and I have a half I want to do a good time in almost immediately upon my return].

I wont have a device to sync with over there, so will the watch [405cx] save several runs on it, so I can sync them all upon my return?

Sorry, dont have time to search thread [as im sure this has come up a good few times] and this question keeps drifting in and out of my mind..

Im on holidays for 9/10 days in a couple of weeks, and I intend to bring running stuff with me, just to get out a couple of early mornings and keep fitness up as Im well into marathon training plan [and I have a half I want to do a good time in almost immediately upon my return].

I wont have a device to sync with over there, so will the watch [405cx] save several runs on it, so I can sync them all upon my return?

I only download my runs from the 305 to the computer ever few weeks. It automatically downloads all new runs.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Don't forget to take the USB cable with you, and something USB to plug it into.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Howdy all,

I did a 5km run as part of a tri on sat, a lot of hills and at the end of it my 305 read 4.85km.......i was told that hills can mess up the distance on them. Is this true ???

Yep. Just remember to terminate/split each activity. After pressing [Stop] when you have finished your workout, hold the [Lap] button for five seconds.

Howdy all,

I did a 5km run as part of a tri on sat, a lot of hills and at the end of it my 305 read 4.85km.......i was told that hills can mess up the distance on them. Is this true ???
    Not really (they might make a very small difference, but not so much that you'd notice. The missing 150 metres is more like down to:
    1) GPS inaccuracy
    2) Short course
    3) Not starting your watch at the right place
    4) Cutting corners (a lot of corners!).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭digiman

Would the 405 be worth the extra money compared to the 305?

Would the 405 be worth the extra money compared to the 305?
    Depends what you're looking for. The 405 is smaller and lighter, but the 305 has a longer battery life and displays more data fields (four at a time).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭dev123

Hi all,

As part of the Daniels marathon plan there are some "complicated" runs.

An example off the top of my head would be:

2 miles easy
    5 x (6mins tempo with 1 min rest)
    6 miles easy

I have tried using the Lap function on my 305 to mark the start and finish of each section of the run such that I have a split time for each section including the 1 min rests.

As I am running in a loop for the tempo part of this run the 305 records a lap each time I pass the point where I first pressed lap which is not what I am looking for.

Will I have to create an Advanced Workout for each of the Daniels training sessions that require a large number of splits or is there an easier way to record my splits without the 305 taking it upon itself to record laps by location?

Thanks in advance,
    Dev

dev123 wrote: »
    Hi all,

As part of the Daniels marathon plan there are some "complicated" runs.

An example off the top of my head would be:

2 miles easy
    5 x (6mins tempo with 1 min rest)
    6 miles easy

I have tried using the Lap function on my 305 to mark the start and finish of each section of the run such that I have a split time for each section including the 1 min rests.

As I am running in a loop for the tempo part of this run the 305 records a lap each time I pass the point where I first pressed lap which is not what I am looking for.

Will I have to create an Advanced Workout for each of the Daniels training sessions that require a large number of splits or is there an easier way to record my splits without the 305 taking it upon itself to record laps by location?

Thanks in advance,
    Dev

Do you have autolap by distance turned on ?
    I think you must, as this should be the only reason that it would do this.

If you turn off autolap, that might work.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Easiest thing would be to create a workout (Advanced Workout?)on the Garmin.
    You can set your warmup, intervals, and cooldown periods. It only takes a minute to set up. (but I haven't done it in months so you'll have to check the manual for instructions)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭dev123

huskerdu wrote: »
    Do you have autolap by distance turned on ?
    I think you must, as this should be the only reason that it would do this.

If you turn off autolap, that might work.

Thanks huskerdu. I do have auto lap on but the manual for the 305 says that once you press lap the 305 will record a lap each time you pass that point again. Will turn off autolap and give it a go.
    RayCun wrote: »
    Easiest thing would be to create a workout (Advanced Workout?)on the Garmin.
    You can set your warmup, intervals, and cooldown periods. It only takes a minute to set up. (but I haven't done it in months so you'll have to check the manual for instructions)

Thanks Ray. I have used the interval fucntion for the workout that I gave as an example. Sorry but I should have given one of the more complex examples such as:

2 miles easy
    5 x (6mins tempo with 1min rests)
    6 miles easy
    20 mins tempo
    2 miles easy

It is the extra tempo section and the final 2 miles easy that I won't be able to capture individual split times for by using the "interval" workout.

It may be that I need to do an "Advanced Workout" where I actually programme the watch. This is gonna be time consuming and that is why I am trying to find a different way.

Thanks both for your suggestions.

• Advertisement

dev123 wrote: »
    It may be that I need to do an "Advanced Workout" where I actually programme the watch. This is gonna be time consuming and that is why I am trying to find a different way.
    Hi Dev123, creating advanced workouts only takes a minute or two, and has a number of advantages over basic functionality of the programs on the watch.
    What you have described above would be very simple to implement. Typically I look through the training program and create a batch of workouts I will need over the coming weeks and send these to the watch.

Advertisement