Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Megathread-Ask your questions here-See post 1 on how to search thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,630 ✭✭✭Trampas

I am on vista.

Will do Krusty.

It will be this evening before I am on the machine.

Thanks

found the file. when i try to upload it it gives.

An error occurred with your upload. Please try again.

must be corrupt

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Trampas wrote: »
    found the file. when i try to upload it it gives.
    An error occurred with your upload. Please try again.
    must be corrupt
    Have you installed Garmin Training Centre? Install it and try and import it there.
    Or else post it here (save it with a .txt extension) and I'll take a look.

At one point (many moons ago) I had a lot of trouble uploading to Garmin Connect, but it was down to the quality of my internet connection.

Have you installed Garmin Training Centre? Install it and try and import it there.
    Or else post it here (save it with a .txt extension) and I'll take a look.

At one point (many moons ago) I had a lot of trouble uploading to Garmin Connect, but it was down to the quality of my internet connection.

Downloading now.

Did a run there and same problem.

at least i have the files on my machine. Thanks again Krusty. Beginners bad luck

installed GTC and can see my activities.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

If someone (obviously not me. Let's say a friend of mine) was stupid enough to lose their ANT stick but still had the USB cable for their (obviously his, not mine) Garmin 405 is there any way that they could retrieve their history or do I they need to break out the readies and buy a new ANT stick? And if it's a new ANT stick does one size fit all?

He thanks you in advance!

If someone (obviously not me. Let's say a friend of mine) was stupid enough to lose their ANT stick but still had the USB cable for their (obviously his, not mine) Garmin 405 is there any way that they could retrieve their history or do I they need to break out the readies and buy a new ANT stick? And if it's a new ANT stick does one size fit all?
    You friend needs a good smack upside the head for losing his/her USB Ant stick. How could he/she have been so stupid? ;)

The USB cable is for charging only. It doesn't carry any data. The only way you he/she can retrieve data from the watch is with another USB ANT stick. Cheapest option is pot-luck on eBay, or find someone here who has two, or you can buy direct from Garmin. Amazon in the US would be a cheap option for you, if you regularly travel to the US. Of course, by 'you', I mean 'them'. And yes, they're all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

If your friend sends me a PM, this might be his/her lucky day. A 'friend' of mine might have a spare ant stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

My 110 is being a bit of a retard these days. I'm starting my run with the pace on the screen and everythings fine, until i look down at the watch after a minute or 2 of running to see the pace field blank and the distance at 0.00 mls. It gets the signal back after another minute or so but the average pace of the run is skewed and incorrect. Not the end of the world for a training run but it could really hamstring me in a race. Anyone else have this problem?

Btw, I usually start my run in an open area, away from large trees and buildings.

My 110 is being a bit of a retard these days. I'm starting my run with the pace on the screen and everythings fine, until i look down at the watch after a minute or 2 of running to see the pace field blank and the distance at 0.00 mls. It gets the signal back after another minute or so but the average pace of the run is skewed and incorrect. Not the end of the world for a training run but it could really hamstring me in a race. Anyone else have this problem?

Btw, I usually start my run in an open area, away from large trees and buildings.
    Doesn't sound good Brian. Do you wait until you have sufficient GPS signal acurracy/quality before you start your run, or do you just click and go?

Have you tried performing a hard reset?

• Advertisement

Doesn't sound good Brian. Do you wait until you have sufficient GPS signal acurracy/quality before you start your run, or do you just click and go?

Have you tried performing a hard reset?

Yep i usually wait about 2 mins to get a signal and the pace comes up (i.e walking pace just before i start) I press start then and the distance sticks at 0.00 and the pace disappears after 20 secs of running. As i said it comes back to normal 2 mins later but its annoying.

I've tried that cheers, found a youtube video for it, i'll see how it is on my next run.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 casualr

Hi,
    Am looking to buy a garmin watch for the OH for his birthday. I have a budget of 150-200 euro. Which one would be the best one to go for? He has recently gotten back into running and runs around 3 times a week.
    Any info/advice appreciated!

Yep i usually wait about 2 mins to get a signal and the pace comes up (i.e walking pace just before i start) I press start then and the distance sticks at 0.00 and the pace disappears after 20 secs of running. As i said it comes back to normal 2 mins later but its annoying.

I've tried that cheers, found a youtube video for it, i'll see how it is on my next run.
    Hi Brian, pace shouldn't appear on the watch until you press [Start]. Or at least it doesn't on any of the other watches, as it shouldn't have started recording trackpoints at that stage (so shouldn't have any calculations for pace). Seems like off behaviour.

casualr wrote: »
    Hi,
    Am looking to buy a garmin watch for the OH for his birthday. I have a budget of 150-200 euro. Which one would be the best one to go for? He has recently gotten back into running and runs around 3 times a week.
    Any info/advice appreciated!
    Hard to go wrong with the Garmin 305 (including Heart Rate Monitor), for around €115 from Amazon.co.uk. If you think it's too bulky, then the 405 is probably the next best bet within your budget. If he prefers thing as simple as possible, you could take a look at the 110, however, it's a little limited in terms of functionality (but will do the basics).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Yeah, the idiot had his ANT stick on a set of car keys. He sold the car and hasn't seen the stick since!

Cheers for the advice and Meno a PM has been sent :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Yeah, the idiot had his ANT stick on a set of car keys. He sold the car and hasn't seen the stick since!

Cheers for the advice and Meno a PM has been sent :)

That's pretty stupid. :pac:

Hi Brian, pace shouldn't appear on the watch until you press [Start]. Or at least it doesn't on any of the other watches, as it shouldn't have started recording trackpoints at that stage (so shouldn't have any calculations for pace). Seems like off behaviour.

Hi Krusty, the pace has been appearing as soon as i got a signal on my 110 since day 1. Its how i know that a signal has been found and i can start. Anyway i tried that reset but its the same as before. I may have to just live with it, cheers for your input.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭earlyevening

Hi all,

Kinda new to the GPS world. How often should I expect dodgy readings? I see I apparantly did a 1700ft climb today in Dublin city centre.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/113616758

Hi all,

Kinda new to the GPS world. How often should I expect dodgy readings? I see I apparantly did a 1700ft climb today in Dublin city centre.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/113616758
    I'm more impressed with the fact that you were 400 feet below sea level.

Update the firmware on your watch, which is a couple of revs out of date. Also, don't start your workout, until you have decent accuracy, eg less than 40 feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭earlyevening

Unfortunately I dont have any manual - lost it a while back. How do I "update the firmware", and I see the it gives me a percentage for accuracy. I suppose I shouldn't start til that hits 100%?

Perhaps its the tall buildings near where I start my running that are causing the difficulty?

• Advertisement

Unfortunately I dont have any manual - lost it a while back. How do I "update the firmware", and I see the it gives me a percentage for accuracy. I suppose I shouldn't start til that hits 100%?

Perhaps its the tall buildings near where I start my running that are causing the difficulty?
    Hi earlyevening, you can download the manual here, but it won't tell you how to upgrade the firmware. To do that, follow this link and follow the instructions. You'll need to have your USB stick plugged in, and the ANT agent running (best to have the watch plugged into the power as well).

As for the accuracy, it's not a percentage, it is a distance, and the lower the reading the better. So for example, a reading of 40ft means that you could be anywhere within a 40 foot radius. Generally, I turn on GPS as soon as I head out, stick it onto the Satellite screen, and then begin my pre-run routine (put on shoes, adjust mp3 player, etc.etc.).

When the accuracy figures are showing:
    Less than 40 feet
    Less than 10m (metric)
    Then I got to the workout screen and press lock screen, then start.

Tall buildings won't help, but shouldn't interfere too much. Unfortunately it's the nature of GPS devices that false readings are occasionally a reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 casualr

Hard to go wrong with the Garmin 305 (including Heart Rate Monitor), for around €115 from Amazon.co.uk. If you think it's too bulky, then the 405 is probably the next best bet within your budget. If he prefers thing as simple as possible, you could take a look at the 110, however, it's a little limited in terms of functionality (but will do the basics).

He's fond of gadget-y things. I don't think the the bulkiness of the 305 would bother him so I'll go for that one. Thanks for the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 guysmiley

I have been using a Garmin FR60 + HR monitor + Foot Pod for the last year. I never bothered calibrating the foot pod as is seems to be fairly accurate for me. Over the last few weeks I have been getting strange results from the foot pod, or perhaps it is the watch that is not reading correctly - I run at my normal pace of about 5min/KM and this is measured fine for about 1KM or so. But then it starts to tell me that I am running at 1:50min/KM and this continues. Eventually it stops working completely until I reset. I changed the battery but no luck. I left the battery out over a long period and re inserted but again no luck. The only thing that has helped is to move the foot pod up to then next lace (away from my toes). Perhaps something to do with vibration which might be a bit less mid way up the foot. Also it tends to happen more readlly for slow runs. Has anyone had a similar experience ? I was thinking of upgrading to a GPS version but with the footpod move it seems to be ok again. I like the tidy size of the FR60 and would prefer to keep with this one. Don't really need advanced analysis of my running.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭nellocono

Anyone any ideas on how the new Nike GPS watch is comparing to the Garmins? Most review seem to day the Nike is poor, takes ages to lock onto a GPS signal and give inaccurate readings.

Just wondering has anyone any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭El Director

Well guys! Just look at what happened to my 305! After 3 years. I had been using a pen to press the button in and that was working fine until that is the morning of Galway 70.3 and the 'enter' button stopped working-water must have got in, maybe?? Anyway, the rest of the unit works just fine, it has sentimental value so I'd like to get it fixed-not replaced. Does anybody know anyone who fixes these?

picture.php?albumid=1633&pictureid=10614

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

AFAIK there is a Garmin guy on the Dublin road out of Oranmore, behind ESSO garage that does service and repair.

A customer had mentioned this to me before. If I can find out who it is I'll let you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭El Director

AFAIK there is a Garmin guy on the Dublin road out of Oranmore, behind ESSO garage that does service and repair.

A customer had mentioned this to me before. If I can find out who it is I'll let you know.

Dude that would be great, Oranmore in Galway?

You can now create (and store) your advanced workouts in Garmin Connect, which is quite handy. I'll often create an advanced workout in Garmin Training Centre on my work PC, but because it doesn't exist on my home PC it usually gets over-written next time I upload a workout.

Now you can keep 'em all in Garmin Connect and upload them to the watch when needed. You can also schedule workouts, so your watch gives you a reminder that you have to do that particular workout that day.

Here's one I made earlier:

174465.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

You can now create (and store) your advanced workouts in Garmin Connect, which is quite handy. I'll often create an advanced workout in Garmin Training Centre on my work PC, but because it doesn't exist on my home PC it usually gets over-written next time I upload a workout.

Now you can keep 'em all in Garmin Connect and upload them to the watch when needed. You can also schedule workouts, so your watch gives you a reminder that you have to do that particular workout that day.

Here's one I made earlier:

174465.jpg
    Believe it or not I setup this exact workout earlier (TC). Spent ages over what the recovery times should be, went with 4 minutes in the end. Gas that within a couple of hours you posted the answer here.

• Advertisement

neilc wrote: »
    Believe it or not I setup this exact workout earlier (TC). Spent ages over what the recovery times should be, went with 4 minutes in the end. Gas that within a couple of hours you posted the answer here.
    Hi Neilc, it kind of depends on the amount of time you'll spend on your interval. My target will be 5:20/mile, so 50% would be 2:40, and 90% would be 4:48, so I'll probably go for somewhere in the middle (e.g. 3:45). But If I'm still wrecked after the 10k race, I'll go for closer to 90%. Wrong forum, but what the hell!

Advertisement