Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Megathread-Ask your questions here-See post 1 on how to search thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

beeduybe wrote: »
    Tried to re-pair the watch with the HRM but didn't have any luck. Battery contacts looked ok but I took out the battery and put it back in again and then it seemed to pick it up. I might have pushed the battery in too far the first time if that's possible. Anywho it working now so thanks for your help.

You should replace the battery every year. I get mine in the pound shop, they are really common to get. It might be the cause that when you took the battery out you warmed it up in your hands so if it and then when it gets cold again it will stop working. Also there are posts online about the connector not having a good contact with the battery. I have put a very small bit of tin foil on the top of the battery to make sure there is a good contact. Giving the strap (specifically if its a soft strap) with say washing up liquid is a good idea. It seems to improve the readings for me and prevent irritation on my skin from the build of up of sweat.

Where is the best place to get a 2nd usb dongle for a garmin 610 ? Also looking for an extra charger. Is there a 3rd party ant dongle thats cheaper as i don't want to spend much on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

rom wrote: »
    Where is the best place to get a 2nd usb dongle for a garmin 610 ? Also looking for an extra charger. Is there a 3rd party ant dongle thats cheaper as i don't want to spend much on it.

Not sure if this one by Suunto is available in Europe, but worth a look. It looks a lot tidier and is in theory cheaper. Here it is on Amazon.co.uk, for €33.

31QMZQABwlL._AA300_.jpg

Originally Posted by iamjenko View Post
    http://www.ibood.com/ie/en/

Deal for a Garmin Forerunner 405, €149.95. This deal only lasts til midnight 5th May 2012! a small bit cheaper than http://www.handtec.co.uk/search.php?xSearch=garmin+405&submit=search+for+products

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

belcarra wrote: »
    Anyone else got issues with Garmin Connect tonight when trying to upload runs??

I've no runs view-able on GC for May or the Fit app, all there on TC though and settings haven't changed. Have seen this before and then suddenly they'll just come back one day.

Update: Back working for me since this morning's run - all the missing ones uploaded also.

• Advertisement

ok so with the garmin 305 after a run i would turn it off and then sync it with GC. no problem. now with the 610 twice out of 6 runs i lost the data when i did this. ok so the manual says i need to hold reset to save the run. does everyone do this as i didn't for the last year and it has never been a problem. now the .FIT file could not be uploaded but i used advent to convert it to .tcx and it uploaded fine. if you turn off your garmin 610 which is basically hold off for 3 secs then it should reset your activity or is that just me ?

ok so with the garmin 305 after a run i would turn it off and then sync it with GC. no problem. now with the 610 twice out of 6 runs i lost the data when i did this. ok so the manual says i need to hold reset to save the run. does everyone do this as i didn't for the last year and it has never been a problem. now the .FIT file could not be uploaded but i used advent to convert it to .tcx and it uploaded fine. if you turn off your garmin 610 which is basically hold off for 3 secs then it should reset your activity or is that just me ?
    For my old 405, I didn't need to reset the activity at all. As long as the workout was stopped, it would upload. With the 910, it seems that I need to 'terminate' the activity by holding reset for ~4 seconds, before it will upload, so it seems that the watch considers the activity in progress (but stopped) until you hold reset to mark it complete. I haven't had any problems with turning off the watch, but perhaps I've just gotten into the habit of hitting reset before I do.

I did lose a run on Saturday. Not sure what happened, but when the watch uploaded my two mile recovery run (post race) there were no files uploaded to the computer, nothing in GC or GTC and nothing left on the watch. It had uploaded an activity (based on the time stamp) but it was an activity from a few weeks back. Strange one.

Best thing to do is just get into the habit of holding reset at the end of ever activity and hope that they'll fix the bugs.

For my old 405, I didn't need to reset the activity at all. As long as the workout was stopped, it would upload. With the 910, it seems that I need to 'terminate' the activity by holding reset for ~4 seconds, before it will upload, so it seems that the watch considers the activity in progress (but stopped) until you hold reset to mark it complete. I haven't had any problems with turning off the watch, but perhaps I've just gotten into the habit of hitting reset before I do.

I did lose a run on Saturday. Not sure what happened, but when the watch uploaded my two mile recovery run (post race) there were no files uploaded to the computer, nothing in GC or GTC and nothing left on the watch. It had uploaded an activity (based on the time stamp) but it was an activity from a few weeks back. Strange one.

Best thing to do is just get into the habit of holding reset at the end of ever activity and hope that they'll fix the bugs.

Thanks for that. Losing a few more activities will get me to remember :), can only imagine how annoyed I would be if it happen after an important race.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    I've no runs view-able on GC for May or the Fit app, all there on TC though and settings haven't changed. Have seen this before and then suddenly they'll just come back one day.

Update: Back working for me since this morning's run - all the missing ones uploaded also.

I'm still having the same original issue. I emailed GC support but haven't heard anything back from them. I am using a workaround by pushing the runs from my watch to TC and then saving .tcx files. Then I upload them into GC from that. However, even these steps lost the map data from my LSR progression run last Friday which has left me annoyed!

So, in summary, still a bag of sh1te for me!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Hi guys,

have a garmin 405 about 18 months now. Fully charged yesterday but noticed this morning screen was blank. Tried to charge it but nothing happening. Tried the soft reset and then the hard reset but just getting a black line across the screen for the soft reset which disappears when I do the hard reset. Tried also cleaning around the charging area but still nothing happening.

Any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

The 305 cradle connects to the USB port on a computer for charging.
    The cable for an iPhone connects to a USB port on a computer, and also to the Apple plug for charging.
    So will a 305 cable connect to the Apple plug and charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

RayCun wrote: »
    The 305 cradle connects to the USB port on a computer for charging.
    The cable for an iPhone connects to a USB port on a computer, and also to the Apple plug for charging.
    So will a 305 cable connect to the Apple plug and charge?

That works for me with a plug charger that I have. ( Its not an Apple charger, but I use it to charge an iPOD)

AFAIK, the only compatibility issues with USB chargers it that some products will only charge if the current capability of the
    charger is above a certain level. I dont think the 305 has a high current requirement and mine has charged using a number of
    different chargers

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

have a garmin 405 about 18 months now. Fully charged yesterday but noticed this morning screen was blank. Tried to charge it but nothing happening. Tried the soft reset and then the hard reset but just getting a black line across the screen for the soft reset which disappears when I do the hard reset. Tried also cleaning around the charging area but still nothing happening.

Any ideas?
    Doesn't sounds good (sounds like the screen may be gone). These are the steps you followed, right:

*Warning - A Master Reset will erase all saved data on the Forerunner
    Press and hold the Start/Stop and Lap/Reset buttons simultaneously
    Keep both buttons pressed for 8 seconds or until the screen goes blank
    Then release the Start/Stop button and continue to hold the Lap/Reset button for an additional 3 seconds
    Release the Lap/Reset button
    Select the Enter (Start/Stop) button to clear user data
    Once these steps are complete, follow the setup prompts. Set profile options and charge the battery completely before using.

If that failed the only real option is wait until the battery has run down (around a week?) and see if you can charge it and do a master reset. Otherwise, you're looking at Garmin support (but they'll just offer you a refurb (at a cost)).

Doesn't sounds good (sounds like the screen may be gone). These are the steps you followed, right:

If that failed the only real option is wait until the battery has run down (around a week?) and see if you can charge it and do a master reset. Otherwise, you're looking at Garmin support (but they'll just offer you a refurb (at a cost)).

Thanks KC. Normally there is a beep when I connect the charger so not getting this leads me to believe it may be more than the screen display being the problem?

Thanks KC. Normally there is a beep when I connect the charger so not getting this leads me to believe it may be more than the screen display being the problem?
    Yep, that makes sense. Have you tried whacking it off the table? :)

Yep, that makes sense. Have you tried whacking it off the table? :)

It's got a few whacks in its time. Left it in work last night and when I came in this morning it had switched back on. The Garmin fairy must have paid a visit during the night. :rolleyes:

It's got a few whacks in its time. Left it in work last night and when I came in this morning it had switched back on. The Garmin fairy must have paid a visit during the night. :rolleyes:
    One of the cleaners might have given it a bit of a whack with the hoover. You should probably slip them a fiver, just in case.

looking for a review/ pictures of garmin 610 with a soft strap. I really don't like the plastic straps and I had the velcro one for my 305 which was great. Is it the same strap and same way its fitted. can't get picture or review of it online with the 610.

Thanks

looking for a review/ pictures of garmin 610 with a soft strap. I really don't like the plastic straps and I had the velcro one for my 305 which was great. Is it the same strap and same way its fitted. can't get picture or review of it online with the 610.

Thanks
    It has a different/unique part number (010-11251-04), so is likely not the same strap as other watches. This is about the best pic available, but can't see any with the strap attached to the watch.

G610WSK-1.jpg

It has a different/unique part number (010-11251-04), so is likely not the same strap as other watches. This is about the best pic available, but can't see any with the strap attached to the watch.

G610WSK-1.jpg
    Its those black things. what are they and 4 bars ?? are they going to make the watch look like muck or will it look similar to the 305 with it. I'll give em a bell i'd say

• Advertisement

Its those black things. what are they and 4 bars ?? are they going to make the watch look like muck or will it look similar to the 305 with it. I'll give em a bell i'd say
    The two black things are the mount points on the watch, so you would need to remove the old mount points using the provided screwdriver. You need two replacement bars, because the width of the bars is different from the originals. The other two bars are either spares, or the bars required for the metal loops.

The two black things are the mount points on the watch, so you would need to remove the old mount points using the provided screwdriver. You need two replacement bars, because the width of the bars is different from the originals. The other two bars are either spares, or the bars required for the metal loops.
    \
    Cool, rang them , they are going to email a picture of it so I see what it looks like. just worried it might look very naff. strange that it needs different mountpoints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Haha, having just purchased a soft strap i actually know something more than Krusty about a Garmin :D
    You don't remove any mount points, rather you remove the old strap and add on the mount points to which you attacth the new strap. You need both the new (longer) bars and the original (shorter) bars as you use the originals to attach the mount points.

You remove and put back the metal bars using the little screwdriver-like thing (it is not a screwdriver rather a tool you can put through small holes to 'catch' the metal bar things and pull them back open).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭sasser

In that case, it is indeed a good deal.. Did you own a 405? I've 8,500+ miles logged on mine, with very few issues. The bezel is an annoyance, but doesn't hinder operation, once you have it locked.

Is newly overhauled their new way of saying refurbished? I ordered a NOH but the box says Refurbished?

sasser wrote: »
    Is newly overhauled their new way of saying refurbished? I ordered a NOH but the box says Refurbished?
    Not a clue. I've only ever purchased a new watch (and I still have the same trusty 405). You should ask the people you bought it off. Also make sure it has a full and complete warranty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭sasser

thanks for the speedy response. Will have to wait till Monday to get an answer from teh company - it's Handtec, looks new but am wary due to what you have been saying about refurbished watches. Will have to wait to play with my new toy so! It is a 12 month guarantee so that's something I suppose, went for the 405 too, this thread has great advice.

sasser wrote: »
    thanks for the speedy response. Will have to wait till Monday to get an answer from teh company - it's Handtec, looks new but am wary due to what you have been saying about refurbished watches. Will have to wait to play with my new toy so! It is a 12 month guarantee so that's something I suppose, went for the 405 too, this thread has great advice.
    Well, a 12 month guarantee (from Garmin I presume) is as good as you would get with a new watch, so if the price is significantly better, then it's at least no more risky than buying a new watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ironman09

Hi guys / Gals,

Have a problem with a garmin forerunner 305
    It will take a charge in the craddle, but when i turn it on it wont load passed the "locating Satellites". It just loads half way then re starts over
    over again.

Any thoughts / help ???

cheers
    d

ironman09 wrote: »
    Hi guys / Gals,

Have a problem with a garmin forerunner 305
    It will take a charge in the craddle, but when i turn it on it wont load passed the "locating Satellites". It just loads half way then re starts over
    over again.

Any thoughts / help ???

cheers
    d

Did you do a hard rest of it. I did a a few times and it fixed strange issue with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Excuse the lack of technical terms here lads - the plastic clip on my USB cable that has the 4 prongs that attach to my 110 (for charging/uploading etc) snapped yesterday and is now kapputt :'( Does anyone have an old/spare one they'd be willing to pass on to a poor lost runner for a small price? Would really appreciate it :)

Advertisement